Official: (Bengals) Game will not be resumed this week UPDATE: OFFICIALLY CANCELLED

Process

6 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Here is my thing. Everybody that was in control of their own destiny is in control. If KC wins, they get the one seed. Winner of BAL/CIN wins the division. Patriots are still in the drivers seat. Nobody lost control of their playoff appearance due to this game. Some teams lost their ability to stay alive, but still need a number of other things to go their way. 

That is fine with me. 

The Bills lost their control. But they suffered tragedy. It happens, and ultimately if playing this is the worst of it for them, that is fine. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1

2 minutes ago, Mango said:

Here is my thing. Everybody that was in control of their own destiny is in control. If KC wins, they get the one seed. Winner of BAL/CIN wins the division. Patriots are still in the drivers seat. Nobody lost control of their playoff appearance due to this game. Some teams lost their ability to stay alive, but still need a number of other things to go their way. 

That is fine with me. 

The Bills lost their control. But they suffered tragedy. It happens, and ultimately if playing this is the worst of it for them, that is fine. 

Ravens actually don't. They would 11-6 while the Bengals would be 11-5 and would still win the division

• Like (+1) 1

I find it hard to believe that' the NFL won't jam the Bills/Bengals game in somehow. 

I can't see how they will do a coin flip or partial victories, or taking a no-contest game away from the Chiefs.

I think they will restart that game 7-3 with the Bengals having the ball at the Bills 48 yard line with 6 minutes left in the first quarter in Cincinnati. 

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1
  • Dislike 1

2 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

I also think the player callups will be kept the same. 

No Hubbard for the Bengals, Bills not able to elevate Rhodes or Benford after the fact. 

Should be interesting. They should just restart the game from the beginning and handle it as a new game with injuries and inactives.  I’m assuming we’ll be hearing what the plan is soon but this game needs to be played, there is no other fair option. 

Just now, Warriorspikes51 said:

What do you suppose he means by lack of equity in this case....

I think folks in the league office have probably war-gamed this just as much as we have, and they know that there's no possible outcome that everyone will agree is fair.  They're laying the groundwork for that, and managing expectations.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

27 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

I find it hard to believe that' the NFL won't jam the Bills/Bengals game in somehow. 

I can't see how they will do a coin flip or partial victories, or taking a no-contest game away from the Chiefs.

I think they will restart that game 7-3 with the Bengals having the ball at the Bills 48 yard line with 6 minutes left in the first quarter in Cincinnati. 

I disagree.   They won't push the playoffs out 1 week for 1 game.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

I would prefer they didn't.  The other teams would all be given a bye week

And we will face potential injury without the rest. There is nothing in it for the bills. To get the 1 seed and face injury? I dont know. These players don't seem to want to play right now. It's just a game. 

I never took into account the active roster element.  

You can't keep remnants of the old game if both teams set new rosters... and you have to let teams set new rosters, no? 

If we play, I'm now thinking it's got to be a new game, 0-0, new active rosters. 

6 minutes ago, BillsFanSD said:

I think folks in the league office have probably war-gamed this just as much as we have, and they know that there's no possible outcome that everyone will agree is fair.  They're laying the groundwork for that, and managing expectations.  

They're about to do what NFL Network was saying. No contest Bengals/Bills. Chiefs win Saturday have the extra game and get the number 1 seed. The guys on radio were saying life's not fair, Bills get screwed as Chiefs get top seed. It Stinks if that's what the league managing expectations is up to.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1

Just now, D. L. Hot-Flamethrower said:

They're about to do what NFL Network was saying. No contest Bengals/Bills. Chiefs win Saturday have the extra game and get the number 1 seed. The guys on radio were saying life's not fair, Bills get screwed as Chiefs get top seed. It Stinks if that's what the league managing expectations is up to.

Fine, then split the benefits of the 1 seed.  Chiefs get to pick what they want. The Bye or Home Field throughout. 

They likely choose the Bye.   We'll take Home Field. 

37 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

I'm sure that's what they want to do, but I don't see how. Timing isn't great, by forcing them to play it punishes them for the playoffs. 3 games in 14 days? And one will be a playoff game that is lose and go home?

Seems a bit much unless they move the entire schedule back one week, which I don't see.

7 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Fine, then split the benefits of the 1 seed.  Chiefs get to pick what they want. The Bye or Home Field throughout. 

If they penalize the Bills for this tragedy the nfl will lose a ton of fans. I like this idea, only if they can’t resume the game, but they really should. 

• Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

What do you suppose he means by lack of equity in this case....

I think he means Bills don’t get chance to reclaim #1 seed, CIN doesn’t get chance to move up to #2 seed, BAL is affected , possibly some other teams I’m not aware of the exact scenarios. That’s my take on it , that it won’t be perfect but the playoffs will take place on schedule. Anything else compounds the whole situation and impacts everything that follows it. I don’t believe the NFL will want that. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

I think he means Bills don’t get chance to reclaim #1 seed, CIN doesn’t get chance to move up to #2 seed, BAL is affected , possibly some other teams I’m not aware of the exact scenarios. That’s my take on it , that it won’t be perfect but the playoffs will take place on schedule. Anything else compounds the whole situation and impacts everything that follows it. I don’t believe the NFL will want that. 

Well, Stidham might make that possible for us.  I think the Raiders will play tough 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Kiva said:

If they penalize the Bills for this tragedy the nfl will lose a ton of fans. I like this idea, only if they can’t resume the game, but they really should. 

Bills not being penalized imo if they are awarded the #2 seed. It’s not a perfect solution, but I believe it would be the best one. 

Well, Stidham might make that possible for us.  I think the Raiders will play tough 

Agree, but the equity thing would be the lack of ability to control it on their own. Could still happen of course. 

We'd still have to beat NE to have the #2 seed, assuming Cincy beats Baltimore

Yes, still have to win to maintain it. 

Just now, The Red King said:

There is no scenario that makes the suspended game irrelevant.  I've looked for one.  I've looked.

Agree , hence Vincent’s statement about it not being perfect.. just reading the tea leaves here but we shall see…

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Dan said:

Thats a bit how I see it.   Separate the 2.   The game was a no contest, it goes in the books as such.  No need to replay it in any fashion.  End of discussion. 

But then you do have to figure out the playoff seedlings.  Win percentage is one way and perfectly acceptable.  But you do have to het KC and Baltimore (i think that is all) to agree to that.  Or in my mind you do.  A coin flip also does the same but it just involves the Bengals and Bills to determine the “winner” for seeding purposes. 

You agree by doing this and giving KC 14-3 vs Buf 13-3 win percentage.. KC gets home field through Playoffs correct?

• Agree 1

25 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

that's an interesting approach i have not yet seen

i like it. a lot.

2 hours ago, BillsFanSD said:

I agree.  And honestly, it's kind of amazing that the NFL doesn't have a plan in place for how to deal with a game that can't be played.  This contingency is pretty darn predictable.  

On a side note though, this is why I favor the idea of using a coin flip to determine the "outcome" of CIN-BUF.  It takes human decision-making out of the equation (aside from the meta-decision of flipping a coin to decide) and leaves the other 30 teams completely unaffected.  From their vantage point, having this game decided by a coin flip is indistinguishable from having it played out on the field as usual.  The only teams affected are us and the Bengals, and I think we'd both agree to settle it this way if the alternative is trying to shoehorn the game into the calendar somehow.

HS football uses this all the time (Go Dillion Panthers!) 

5 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

I can see it IF....  KC Loss + CIN Win + BUF Win

Nope.  In that scenario, the Bengals have a chance to get the #1 seed.... dependent on their game against the Bills.

Bottom line.  If they don't makeup the Bills/Bengals game, someone gets screwed... no way around it.

The Bills/Bengals could both have the chance to get the #1 seed.  The Ravens could have a chance at the AFC North title.

Of course, the only team that has nothing to lose in the event of a cancellation/forfeit/etc. would be the Kansas City Chiefs.

6 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

I can see it IF....  KC Loss + CIN Win + BUF Win

It's just bizarre to go into an NFL week 18 where all the AFC teams don't know exactly what the stakes are, because we aren't 100% sure Buffalo and Cincinnati will play a 17th game.  and also, other teams are affected by everything.. not just KC/Cin/Buf.

I'll throw an idea out that I had a few years ago during covid. Sounds stupid but it's simple and effective-

Have a field goal shoot out. Each teams kicker starts at the 5 yard line. For every kick made, the ball moves back 10 yards. First kicker to miss, that team loses. Do a best of 7 or something. Bass vs whoever Bengals kicker is 

🤷

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.