Official: (Bengals) Game will not be resumed this week UPDATE: OFFICIALLY CANCELLED

Process

2 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

“At least that’s the current phrase that’s being thrown around, the current idea that’s being thrown around. Nothing has been determined officially yet but that’s the leader in the clubhouse right now, per a league office source.”

5 minutes ago, fan_in_tx said:

You agree by doing this and giving KC 14-3 vs Buf 13-3 win percentage.. KC gets home field through Playoffs correct?

I agree with whatever the league and teams decide here for seeding.  

Trying to play/finish the Bengals game is just not a good idea.   Just figure some way to seed the teams thats agreed upon and let it work itself out from there.   This isn’t about the Bills getting the 1 seed, its about finding a way to move forward that’s fair and doesn’t cause the Bills players any more pain than they already have. 

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, fan_in_tx said:

You agree by doing this and giving KC 14-3 vs Buf 13-3 win percentage.. KC gets home field through Playoffs correct?

The main ideas are not counting KC's game against Denver last week towards seeding, using a random number generator 1-17 to not count one if KC's games towards seeding, or Bills-Bengals play a standalone game in week 19 and push the WC round back a week. I don't see anyone discussing winning percentage being used.

Edited by Big Turk

16 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

No, not if playoff seeding is decided by winning percentage. 

Good point.. if that’s the case then the Bills could rest players, which may give the Pats an easy in. That probably = lack of equity for some team. In that sense NE has “ earned” the scenario they’re in. 

6 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

This makes some sense. But they may need to vacate the BAL game for BAL since they play CIN this week. That’s quite the rabbit hole at that point. 

I am pleased that it doesn’t sound like the league is trying to do everything. The major effects are the top 3 seeds. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Steptide said:

I'll throw an idea out that I had a few years ago during covid. Sounds stupid but it's simple and effective-

Have a field goal shoot out. Each teams kicker starts at the 5 yard line. For every kick made, the ball moves back 10 yards. First kicker to miss, that team loses. Do a best of 7 or something. Bass vs whoever Bengals kicker is 

🤷

Said a similar thing earlier in the playoff thread.😁

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

Good point.. if that’s the case then the Bills could rest players, which may give the Pats an easy in. That probably = lack of equity for some team. In that sense NE has “ earned” the scenario they’re in. 

But that isn’t abnormal. Teams rest players in the final week all the time. 

Edited by Mango
  • Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, Mango said:

This makes some sense. But they may need to vacate the BAL game for BAL since they play CIN this week. That’s quite the rabbit hole at that point. 

I am pleased that it doesn’t sound like the league is trying to do everything. The major effects are the top 3 seeds. 

Well if Cincy wins then there isn't an issue, so maybe the NFL is hoping that is the case.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Mango said:

But that isn’t abnormal. Teams rest players in the final week all the time. 

Agreed, that does happen.  The league tries to maintain competitive balance by schedule kickoffs at the same time etc but this isn’t going to be perfect to all involved . 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Warriorspikes51 said:

The issue would be if they win they'll be 12-4 and if KC loses + BUF wins, the Bengals Bills game would be the determiner of the 1 seed

True but no scenario will be perfect. I just don’t think playing that game alone in its own week is going to be chosen as the solution. 

• Agree 2

23 minutes ago, MasterStrategist said:

Interesting....but prefer they just flip a coin and be done with it.

Haven't we learned anything when it comes to the coin flip!?  you have 13 seconds to think about that. 

Haven't we learned anything when it comes to the coin flip!?  you have 13 seconds to think about that. 

• Vomit 1

2 minutes ago, Goin Breakdown said:

Jimmy Two Times Goodfellas GIF

• Haha (+1) 2

46 minutes ago, Steptide said:

I'll throw an idea out that I had a few years ago during covid. Sounds stupid but it's simple and effective-

Have a field goal shoot out. Each teams kicker starts at the 5 yard line. For every kick made, the ball moves back 10 yards. First kicker to miss, that team loses. Do a best of 7 or something. Bass vs whoever Bengals kicker is 

🤷

I actually like this a lot, but it should start at the 20.

Bass vs McPherson.  

3 minutes ago, Goin Breakdown said:

we’re due!

• Agree 1

21 minutes ago, Cheektowaga Chad said:

Heavy dislike if this is what happens

So buffalo gets to play for a chance at a bye mean while every other team has a bye 

Just give me the 3rd seed at that point and we will go scorched earth in the playoffs 

Agreed. Forfeit the Bengals game. Rest starters against the Pats. Get ready for the playoffs.

But whatever the Bills are cool with is fine by me.

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, D. L. Hot-Flamethrower said:

Well that would piss off alot of other teams

Sure would , and the NFL wouldn’t like it because they’d have a game that is a farce mixed in with NFC playoffs. I’m not sure how the Bills would think about that scenario but my guess is they’d take the guaranteed rest. 

• Like (+1) 2

I felt early on that this game will never be made up and still believe that. 

But i will say this… there has been a significant groundswell today of national media and fans saying this game must be played no matter what the inconvenience is for the NFL. 

I do think the NFL is taking the temperature of the room so to speak, and this could tilt the scales to replaying it. 

The playoff bye isn't about rest (although it's a nice bonus). It's about an automatic advancement to the next week. Playing out the Bills-Bengals game to assure that bye plus homefield advantage is worth it.

Edited by Punch

2 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

Teams rest their starters all the time in the final week. Literally no one cares

The league cares and tries to avoid it with times etc They might not care in this case though by making Bills / Bengals after week 18. The Bills will have to play NE game like it matters to them

Edited by Boatdrinks

2 minutes ago, Punch said:

The playoff bye isn't about rest (although it's a nice bonus). It's about an automatic advancement to the next week. Playing out the Bills-Bengals game to assure that bye plus homefield advantage is worth it.

I don't think it's worth it when you factor in having to play an additional game.  The loser of a hypothetical Bills-Bengals restart is going to be made much worse off than if the league had simply assigned them a loss.  The winner will be happy, but my guess is that both teams would reject this offer if they were given a reasonable alternative, such as a coin flip.  

If it were up to me as a fan, I would rather settle for the #3 seed with certainty and skip the Bengals game than replay that game while our potential next-week opponent gets a bye.  

I don’t care about the outcome of the game at this point. Whether we forfeit, whether we tie, whether this is a healthy scratch and this turns out to be a 16 game season for us with an asterisk next to our name, I do not care. 

God bless Damar, that’s all that matters. I do hope we crush the Patriots next week though.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.