Official: (Bengals) Game will not be resumed this week UPDATE: OFFICIALLY CANCELLED

Process

I can't believe I am about to defend the NFL but I have read multiple people stating the NFL did not handle this correctly but besides cancelling the game last night, there is not an obvious answer to how to move forward. The NFL I think handled it as well as possible for something that needs to be handled individually and they could not have a policy to cover properly. The medical staff was given every support available immediately and the league took an hour to get the game situation right but it did get it right. 

• Agree 2

I don't envy those trying to figure this out, that much I know.  

It seems like no matter what they end up doing, some team or teams are gonna get the short end of the stick. 

the league is gonna have to do something with the backing of all 32 front offices regardless of what solution they come up with 

But what is the right answer?  Is there one?

Edited by TBBills Fan
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

How is that possible though?

Cincy has no shot at one seed if this game isn’t played and both teams win Sunday. 

There is no way for this to break evenly for both teams if both win this weekend unless they finish the game. 

KC needs to lose this week, in an ideal world for the NFL, KC and Cinci lose, Buff wins, meaning Cincy has 5 losses, KC has 4 and the Bills have 3. The Tie breaker would go to the Bills either way in that scenario and Cinci would have nothing to gain in terms of seeding, now it can be a no contest and everyone is no worse off.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, DCofNC said:

KC needs to lose this week, in an ideal world for the NFL, KC and Cinci lose, Buff wins, meaning Cincy has 5 losses, KC has 4 and the Bills have 3. The Tie breaker would go to the Bills either way in that scenario and Cinci would have nothing to gain in terms of seeding, now it can be a no contest and everyone is no worse off.

Except the Ravens who, in that scenario, would claim the third seed if the Bills beat the Bengals. Not that the Bills would, because they’d rest the starters.

Edited by UKBillFan
  • Like (+1) 3

8 minutes ago, UKBillFan said:

Except the Ravens who, in that scenario, would claim the third seed if the Bills beat the Bengals. Not that the Bills would, because they’d rest the starters.

I thought the Ravens had 5 losses, you are correct, they get screwed.

3 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Right… but I said if both teams win one team is getting screwed.

That’s true.

Just now, EffKCChiefs said:

Forgive me if its already been mentioned, but i cant help but wonder....are the Bills still preparing to play NE on Saturday or is it up in the air? The time is ticking away..obviously Damar is the main concern here and i pray he makes it through this. 

up in the air at this point.  The game is still scheduled to be played as normal… I imagine we’ll have a clearer sense in the next couple days.

Saw this on another forum. What!?

“Benjamin Allbright said on the radio that the NFL, as of now, is planning on not playing the Bills/Bengals game and will label it as “No Contest.” They’ll then use a random number generator to pick a random game on the Chiefs schedule, whatever game the random number generator lands on will be listed as “No Contest” and they’ll determine the seeding based on that.”

Just now, RiotAct said:

up in the air at this point.  The game is still scheduled to be played as normal… I imagine we’ll have a clearer sense in the next couple days.

Thanks i kind of figured as much. Luckily they are a division opponent and we know them real well so not alot of preparation hopefully. I hope we get some good news real soon. 

1 minute ago, Einstein said:

“Benjamin Allbright said on the radio that the NFL, as of now, is planning on not playing the Bills/Bengals game and will label it as “No Contest.” They’ll then use a random number generator to pick a random game on the Chiefs schedule, whatever game the random number generator lands on will be listed as “No Contest” and they’ll determine the seeding based on that.”

All of us guessing how they’ll decide the seeding based on rational conclusions … and the NFL goes with random number generator. 

2 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Tell that fool to stay away from Meth!

5 minutes ago, Einstein said:

A RNG would be terrible. pick a number out of a hat.

So most likely a Chiefs win will go away

13 minutes ago, Einstein said:

If it randomly selects the Bills vs Chiefs game we could potentially be out of playoffs? Ripple affect would be insane s. 

Edited by Kiva
  • Shocked 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, EffKCChiefs said:

Forgive me if its already been mentioned, but i cant help but wonder....are the Bills still preparing to play NE on Saturday or is it up in the air? The time is ticking away..obviously Damar is the main concern here and i pray he makes it through this. 

If they are planning to play, i hope they confirm it tomorrow.  Then go all in on game prep. i’m actually worried if it gets stretched out longer that these guys may not be prepared well mentally or physically and that could lead to injuries on game day.

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, Virgil said:

Maybe I'm the ####### here, but I just don't give a ***** about any of this.  At this point, the Bills could take the L for the Bengals and forfeit the Pats game.  It sucks from a football perspective and for all the hard work the players put in, but I think the players will tell you that none of this matters.

Hamlin's health is literally all that matters at this point.  I get that some people need to distract themselves in times like this, but I honestly feel like the majority of people talking standings are just being selfish.  The football part will play itself out.  But right now, it just doesn't matter.  

I almost wish this thread was pinned and locked, because the interest being on the wrong things is disturbing to me

Best to remember that people process and handle tragedy differently. For you what you said makes sense, for others they look at things in a more logical manner and use thought outside of the human factor to handle the situation. If you don't like the topic of the thread....maybe just don't look at the thread. Allow people to handle the situation in their own method. 

10 minutes ago, DrDare said:

A RNG would be terrible. pick a number out of a hat.

So most likely a Chiefs win will go away

RNG and number out of a hat have the same theoretical odds. Basically RNG will generate a random number between 0-1 and multiply it by 17 and round up. 

• Agree 1

21 minutes ago, EffKCChiefs said:

Forgive me if it’s already been mentioned, but i cant help but wonder....are the Bills still preparing to play NE on Saturday or is it up in the air? The time is ticking away..obviously Damar is the main concern here and i pray he makes it through this. 

When was it up in the air? They’re playing and they’ll win. 

7 minutes ago, zow2 said:

If they are planning to play, i hope they confirm it tomorrow.  Then go all in on game prep. i’m actually worried if it gets stretched out longer that these guys may not be prepared well mentally or physically and that could lead to injuries on game day.

You hope the Bills confirm they are playing?

As far as the league goes, the game is already scheduled and has never not been scheduled.

6 minutes ago, Engelwood said:

RNG and number out of a hat have the same theoretical odds. Basically RNG will generate a random number between 0-1 and multiply it by 17 and round up. 

I agree. however there will be skeptics and almost no way to prove them wrong unless you have multiple independent computer scientist overseeing the whole thing.

Edited by DrDare

18 minutes ago, Einstein said:

WOW.

So they essentially pick a random Chiefs game and call it a no-contest. If it’s a Chiefs win, then Bills get 1 seed.

In this scenario wouldn’t they need to preserve the H2H games with the Bills and Bengals to preserve for tie breaker scenarios?  In that case, they would have 13 (or 14) wins subject to elimination and just one loss…

2 minutes ago, wolfpack78 said:

In this scenario wouldn’t they need to preserve the H2H games with the Bills and Bengals to preserve for tie breaker scenarios?  In that case, they would have 13 (or 14) wins subject to elimination and just one loss…

Probably not, because this would BE the tiebreaker.

28 minutes ago, EffKCChiefs said:

The Bills are scheduled to play on Sunday.  It is only up in the air by some posters on this board, the game is scheduled and will be played.  

The Chiefs play on Saturday and this can affect how the Bills approach the game.  If the Chiefs win it is entirely possible our starters will not play, or not play very long.  It will be our pseudo bye week because the 1 seed will no longer be considered a viable option.

5 minutes ago, Einstein's Dog said:

The Bills are scheduled to play on Sunday.  It is only up in the air by some posters on this board, the game is scheduled and will be played.  

The Chiefs play on Saturday and this can affect how the Bills approach the game.  If the Chiefs win it is entirely possible our starters will not play, or not play very long.  It will be our pseudo bye week because the 1 seed will no longer be considered a viable option.

And then you have Dawkins' comments about the team's focus right now - not just mentally, but they literal team meetings. They are not preparing for the game (yet). 

7 minutes ago, NickelCity said:

And then you have Dawkins' comments about the team's focus right now - not just mentally, but they literal team meetings. They are not preparing for the game (yet). 

If, God willing, we get good news tomorrow, then Thursday Friday Saturday is the same sort of condensed schedule as you get for short week Thursday games. That is manageable, especially since their bodies won't be nearly as hurt as during a typical short week. 

25 minutes ago, DrDare said:

You hope the Bills confirm they are playing?

As far as the league goes, the game is already scheduled and has never not been scheduled.

I agree. however there will be skeptics and almost no way to prove them wrong unless you have multiple independent computer scientist overseeing the whole thing.

Through tonight the players have not talked about playing Sunday.  Dawkins even spoke of it. Their focus and energy is on Damar and his family. nothing else.  That will likely change. That’s why i said what i said. 

8 minutes ago, NickelCity said:

Just a point that on a normal week, player preparations for a Sunday game start the previous Wednesday.

If the game is continued, I wonder what the circumstances are. Are the teams only able to continue with the roster as it was at the time of stoppage? If not then it can greatly help buffalo since we would be down 2 defensive backs. It would allow us to call up Rhodes and perhaps Johnson to return from his injury.

1 hour ago, Kiva said:

If it randomly selects the Bills vs Chiefs game we could potentially be out of playoffs? Ripple affect would be insane s. 

How would that be?  We would still be division winners with 11 wins.  No one else in the division would have more than 9.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.