Official: (Bengals) Game will not be resumed this week UPDATE: OFFICIALLY CANCELLED

Process

22 minutes ago, goober said:

If the game does get played Sunday, I don’t want to hear the Shout song if the team scores, etc.   I don’t know what’s appropriate but the pretense of normal Sunday game rituals seems so hollow and artificial.  

Everyone is different but sometimes normalcy like things help people get through tough times.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, BillsfaninSB said:

Bills/Bengals is a no contest.   Use AFC winning %.  Let 8 teams in.  Do the same in NFC for all I care.

1 seed is not gifted with bye at least.  Would hurt the Bills but seems fair.  Assuming they beat the Pats. 

I'm sure Eagles fans would love that.  At this point there's a small part of me that wants us to play our backups or forfeit against the Pats just to tick off the Fins and their fans for their stadium design.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Einstein said:

Saw this on another forum. What!?

“Benjamin Allbright said on the radio that the NFL, as of now, is planning on not playing the Bills/Bengals game and will label it as “No Contest.” They’ll then use a random number generator to pick a random game on the Chiefs schedule, whatever game the random number generator lands on will be listed as “No Contest” and they’ll determine the seeding based on that.”

Boots Riley Film GIF by Sorry To Bother You

9 hours ago, Einstein said:

“Benjamin Allbright said on the radio that the NFL, as of now, is planning on not playing the Bills/Bengals game and will label it as “No Contest.” They’ll then use a random number generator to pick a random game on the Chiefs schedule, whatever game the random number generator lands on will be listed as “No Contest” and they’ll determine the seeding based on that.”

What if it lands on a loss? Just saying that would give them the 1 seed automatically pending Sunday’s game of course. 

Just now, Airseven said:

Yes indeed, the result of all this may very well be the Bills losing the #1 seed.

I suspect the head to head result would be excluded from the random number selection, having had a lot of statistics courses that would be most logical, but this is the NFL and the Hunts arguably are the most influential owners in the AFC.

It's interesting, the vast majority of national "takes" that I've heard are very pro Bills.  If both KC and Buffalo win this weekend, the neutral fans and media want the Bills to have the 1 seed.  I think it's a combination of feeling bad for the Bills situation plus people just don't want KC getting to play important games in Arrowhead this year. They want something different.

9 hours ago, Einstein said:

This is actually a pretty good idea.  I wish I had thought of this.

Of course, we know they're going to land on Bills-Chiefs as the game that gets thrown out.  Until that happens, though, it's a fun option to think about.

2 minutes ago, BillsFanSD said:

Of course, we know they're going to land on Bills-Chiefs as the game that gets thrown out.  Until that happens, though, it's a fun option to think about.

But that gives the bills one less game same if it landed on bengals would have one less game in that scenario they would likely have to do it again. ****edit Or would they just remove the W OR L and no affect the other team which kind of makes sense

Edited by mikemac2001

15 minutes ago, mikemac2001 said:

But that gives the bills one less game same if it landed on bengals would have one less game in that scenario they would likely have to do it again. ****edit Or would they just remove the W OR L and no affect the other team which kind of makes sense

They would likely leave the head to heads out of the RNG.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, goober said:

If the game does get played Sunday, I don’t want to hear the Shout song if the team scores, etc.   I don’t know what’s appropriate but the pretense of normal Sunday game rituals seems so hollow and artificial.  

I get your sentiment. Its hard to feel "normal" going back to a football game. I was telling my wife last night, I feel a little dirty going to and expecting to be entertained by these guys for a few hours. It feels wrong and insensitive.

But, theres also something to be said for doing things that are "normal" when you are going through rough times or trauma. I am looking forward to being with the Bills Mafia community and being able to show our love to the players, coaches, GM, training staff, doctors ect. These players provide so much joy to community and its important for the community as a whole to be together. The shout song is a part of that, as is introductions and the charging Buffalos before kickoff.

I get it, I'm torn about the propect of just showing up like its a regular game. But I'm also looking forward to the community being together and playing for Damar and hearing the shout song. 

31 minutes ago, BillsFanSD said:

I would hope if they actually do use a random number generator to do this, our game against them would not be eligible to change

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Captain Hindsight said:

I get your sentiment. Its hard to feel "normal" going back to a football game. I was telling my wife last night, I feel a little dirty going to and expecting to be entertained by these guys for a few hours. It feels wrong and insensitive.

But, theres also something to be said for doing things that are "normal" when you are going through rough times or trauma. I am looking forward to being with the Bills Mafia community and being able to show our love to the players, coaches, GM, training staff, doctors ect. These players provide so much joy to community and its important for the community as a whole to be together. The shout song is a part of that, as is introductions and the charging Buffalos before kickoff.

I get it, I'm torn about the propect of just showing up like its a regular game. But I'm also looking forward to the community being together and playing for Damar and hearing the shout song. 

Thanks, I do agree with you and my post was  lacking in context and perspective.  I just hope as we all do that there is some positive news in the next few days.

• Like (+1) 1

Wait.  If they keep all the games as possible throw-outs that still gives Buf a 14/17 chance of winning 1st seed.  Still heavily in our favor.  All I'd want is someone from the Bills making the random pick.  That way if it goes to KC we know it was our fault.

At the same time, should BUF win and KC lose, this will all be academic.

Just now, The Red King said:

Wait.  If they keep all the games as possible throw-outs that still gives Buf a 14/17 chance of winning 1st seed.  Still heavily in our favor.  All I'd want is someone from the Bills making the random pick.  That way if it goes to KC we know it was our fault.

At the same time, should BUF win and KC lose, this will all be academic.

Perhaps they wait to do this until after this weekends games

6 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

Allbright has deleted his “random number” tweet  which he said was just based on a “brain storming session” and now thinks the Chiefs deserve the No 1 seed 

He mentioned lots of scenarios are being discussed by league. Another possibility is not counting the Chiefs week 16 game (for seeding purposes only)

Just now, Warriorspikes51 said:

He mentioned lots of scenarios are being discussed by league

No offence… but I think we all know that…

The random number generator thing seemed goofy to me and obviously he was embarrassed enough to go back and delete  the tweet

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

12 hours ago, SCBills said:

Bills & Bengals should absolutely turn down any idea that we need to play Week 19 and the other 12 playoff teams all get a bye.  

One, or both or us, then have to play a team coming off a bye week … in the WC round of the playoffs.  

Nah.. that’s absurd. 

So you think the Bills would turn down the opportunity to earn a first round bye because they could be playing a team that got one? I don’t think so! And all the other teams would out number and out vote these two. I still think Week 19 makes the most sense. The game has to be played. 

12 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

No offence… but I think we all know that…

The random number generator thing seemed goofy to me and obviously he was embarrassed enough to go back and delete  the tweet

He said he deleted it because it wasn't worth his time/stress to explain further 

9 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

So you think the Bills would turn down the opportunity to earn a first round bye because they could be playing a team that got one? I don’t think so! And all the other teams would out number and out vote these two. I still think Week 19 makes the most sense. The game has to be played. 

No, it does not. 

Edited by Warriorspikes51

Someone said it earlier and they’re right - the health of Hamlin is biggest concern.

I do not know what the league will opt to do regarding rescheduling the game or playoff seeding. There seem to be very few good choices, and no matter what is decided some teams will feel the decision unfairly impacts them and their playoff odds.

What I do believe is that the league MUST announce how they plan to handle the currently postponed Bills/Bengals game and playoff seeding prior to Saturday. If they do not then seemingly half the AFC would be unsure if their games mattered or not.

I believe the NFL will wait either as long as possible or until there is some POSITIVE news regarding Hamlin’s health status to announce anything. They don’t want to appear callous.

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.