Updated Beasley signing to practice squad

Niagara Dude

35 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Based on what? 

He played two games in Tampa this season.  In week 2 against Green Bay he was targeted 4 times and had 3 receptions.  In week 3 against KC he was targeted once and caught it.  That, to my rudimentary math skills, works out to 4 receptions on 5 targets, or a 80% completion percentage.

Based on the fact 32 teams looked and have not signed him?

8 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

If true then congratulations to Sean for finally realizing McKenzie sucks.  That took forever. Welcome home rock a bye.

McKenzie is decent. Alot of us wanted him back after last season. He had some dropped passes this past week, but he also caught some critical first downs too 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, inkman said:

So because Cole liked Tyler Palmer’s (who?) factually questionable tweet, everyone is assuming it’s true? 

I believe it has been confirmed he is in Buffalo. We just have no idea why. Is he even meeting with the team? Maybe he is selling his house? Or he is waiting outside Benny the Butcher's house because he wants to collab, but Benny keeps leaving him on read....

We just don't know. 

• Haha (+1) 2

8 hours ago, The Dean said:

McKenzie has a bad week and everyone jumps on him. I didn't hear a peep when he had two very good weeks.   But yes, he has had some issues with holding on the ball when contested.

He has issues just running. He trips over his feet and the turf regularly. I think it was Rex that said this regarding receivers; "He's a receiver, if we're talking about his ability to catch the ball, that's a problem."

Anyone would be a better option than McKenzie @ this point. Cole will instantly supplant Isiah in the slot.

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, TH3 said:

Based on the fact 32 teams looked and have not signed him?

That's one possible explanation.  Another possible explanation is that Beasley didn't want to sign with anyone else. 

I have no idea what is wrong with bringing him in and kicking the tires.  Unless people are still having a melt down over all the vax stuff and just can't let it go, I can't think of one thing the Bills lose by bringing Beasley in and seeing if he can still contribute. 

Not one single thing.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, Teddy KGB said:

sounds like he made a mistake and is going to fix it, let’s get those chains moving again. 

We will see. I don't think he made a mistake. Cole was great for us, but his legs died halfway through last year. 

Just now, Inigo Montoya said:

That's one possible explanation.  Another possible explanation is that Beasley didn't want to sign with anyone else. 

I have no idea what is wrong with bringing him in and kicking the tires.  Unless people are still having a melt down over all the vax stuff and just can't let it go, I can't think of one thing the Bills lose by bringing Beasley in and seeing if he can still contribute. 

Not one single thing.  

That they'd be better served with someone who actually can contribute. Hell I think Tavon Austin has more left in the tank.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

That they'd be better served with someone who actually can contribute. Hell I think Tavon Austin has more left in the tank.

You may be right.   There's only one way to find out.

10 minutes ago, inkman said:

So because Cole liked Tyler Palmer’s (who?) factually questionable tweet, everyone is assuming it’s true? 

Theres wayyyy too much smoke.  

Every Bills beat writer has basically confirmed something is going on. 

15 minutes ago, Teddy KGB said:

sounds like he made a mistake and is going to fix it, let’s get those chains moving again. 

I don’t think he made a mistake at the time. The cap space and some of the other issues made sense. But crowder’s injury complicated things because they are needing to rely on McKenzie who is unreliable and shakir who they apparently don’t trust yet. I have no doubt that if this happens, it’s because Josh told Beane that he wants him back in other for the offense to work the way it needs to. He trusts bease. If crowder doesn’t get hurt, we may have never seen so much McKenzie in the slot and crowder may have been able to replicate what bease did. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 6

7 hours ago, stevestojan said:

Unless he gained 200 pounds and can play on the right side of an offensive line, I don’t see any desire to bring him back.

Yes I liked his highlights, too. But he has gone downhill and was cut from a practice squad for christs sake. And he has specifically said he didn’t like Buffalo. 

Bease is an emotional dude, I bet he says a lot of things that later he wishes he had said differently or not at all. 
The oline is a reason why we need someone who can find the quick opening in a defense for Josh to throw too.

If he meets with the team and they think it’s a good fit, I’m all for it. 

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

We will see. I don't think he made a mistake. Cole was great for us, but his legs died halfway through last year. 

They would essentially be signing him to play a 6 or 7 game season (if they make it all the way to the Super Bowl).  His old legs might hold up that long, that's less than half a season.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

That they'd be better served with someone who actually can contribute. Hell I think Tavon Austin has more left in the tank

I think Tavon probably has more left in tank than Bease as well, but It's clear Mckenzie should not be in the starting lineup.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Niagara Dude said:

Bills Mafia

Justin Romano  · Just now  · 

Cole Beasley is signing with the Bills. He flew into buffalo this morning. Not sure if he will play this week. Source: I know a family member of his. Id prefer not to say who.

Sure.  Sure you do. You probably had Thanksgiving dinner at their house. I'll believe it when I see it.

8 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Why? He would have fresh legs and be the healthiest player on the team

He had slowed down even when he was here a couple seasons ago. Like most savvy players he could still beat zone coverage, but like most players his age he couldn’t beat man. I get that he doesn’t have the wear and tear of much of this season on him so he might have a little something in the tank. That makes him worth a look. But he couldn’t cut it in Tampa and the value of a sure handed SWR working short routes is low in today’s NFL so I’m not expecting much. 

1 minute ago, Inigo Montoya said:

They would essentially be signing him to play a 6 or 7 game season (if they make it all the way to the Super Bowl).  His old legs might hold up that long, that's less than half a season.

we need a slot receiver badly

2 minutes ago, babulator said:

I think Tavon probably has more left in tank than Bease as well, but It's clear Mckenzie should not be in the starting lineup.

Yeah, I agree with that and was thinking the same thing. We are only dressing 4 WR these days, so it isn't like we don't have room on game day.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I don’t think he made a mistake at the time. The cap space and some of the other issues made sense. But crowder’s injury complicated things because they are needing to rely on McKenzie who is unreliable and shakir who they apparently don’t trust yet. I have no doubt that if this happens, it’s because Josh told Beane that he wants him back in other for the offense to work the way it needs to. He trusts bease. 

I’m a big fan of Beasley, but he had a cap hit that wasn’t equivalent to his level of play at his age/ability.  

That said, he still has the potential to be a decent player for us.  He knows the system and has years of experience with Josh … and he also won’t have the wear and tear of a full season on his body. 

I can’t imagine the contract will be much of anything with 4 games left and the postseason.  

It just makes way too much sense if both sides can come to an agreement.  

Nevermind the emotional side.. it seems a lot of guys on the team love him.  

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 3

Brown has only one more call up from the practice squad before he has to be signed to the active roster. This could be the last week for Brown so perhaps Beasley is next in line. I get that they are different types of receivers but they are similar in that they both know the office and can step in rather quickly. 

For all of you talking about Tavon Austin :rolleyes: Here are Tavon's CAREER stats:

image.thumb.png.28eb336526375aea832a1414afb7c87c.png

Cole Beasley accomplished more in his 3 years here than Tavon has in his entire career. Please stop with the Tavon talk. There's a reason he's been a JAG journeyman.

image.thumb.png.94120eb88223f56ff92abdc2120708a8.png

• Like (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Even last year it seemed like they were trying to manage him throughout the year so that he was fresh at playoff time. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

The Bills need to sign someone. They have 4 WRs on the active roster. Everyone else is hurt. I’m guessing this is who Josh wants given how much he trusts him and the time on task they already have and they are trying to make it happen. Same thing probably led to John Brown. OBJ just might not be ready to play. 

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

The Bills need to sign someone. They have 4 WRs on the active roster. Everyone else is hurt. I’m guessing this is who Josh wants given how much he trusts him and the time on task they already have and they are trying to make it happen. Same thing probably led to John Brown. OBJ just might not be ready to play. 

Canadian Tire says "KEEP AWAY FROM DUKE WILLIAMS!  It's our busiest time!" 😠

• Haha (+1) 2

It’s Buffalo! The city of Second Chances! We LOVE when guys come back (see Phillips, Lawson, Brown) especially if they have a little something left in the tank. Idk if Cole does but doesn’t hurt to take a look.

Putting the BAND back together!

I love this move if it happens. Not because I think we’d get 2020 Cole back, we just need SOMEONE who can catch the ball 4-5 yards down the field and fall down. It’s a devastating indictment on how poor our WR room has developed but I like that McBean are kicking all the tires to do what they can.

If Cole comes back he will be embraced by most of the fans. I’m sure those with sand still in their vagines about his tweets will be bent out of shape but maybe their tune will change when he catches a couple of first downs that McDropsie would let bounce off his hands again.

• Like (+1) 5

6 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

I don't care anymore about his burst. He's always found a knack for sitting down in zones and getting open. He catches the ball and helps Josh move the chains. I don't care about YAC.  But I do insist on a player capable of catching the ball.  Remember Josh's first INT in LA.  That was a dry ball dropped by McKenzie. I think having Smoke & Beas together again in the WR room would be pretty cool.

I'm with you on the burst.  I want short area quickness and a guy besides Diggs who can run a whip route on a big third and three. 

34 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Austin can't run a full route tree and has some of the sloppiest lines and cuts I've ever seen. He is a fast dude but can't edge a route or use his feet.

Beasley adds talent to our roster. That's the bottom line. He won't be 2019 or 2020 Beasley. He will be 2022 Beasley and that's TBD

I welcome this and roll my eyes (not at you) to anyone who doesn't welcome the chance to add talent to our withering offense.

11 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Amazing that TY Hilton was finally signed. I never thought he was as good as hyped, however 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, boyst said:

Austin can't run a full route tree and has some of the sloppiest lines and cuts I've ever seen. He is a fast dude but can't edge a route or use his feet.

Beasley adds talent to our roster. That's the bottom line. He won't be 2019 or 2020 Beasley. He will be 2022 Beasley and that's TBD

I welcome this and roll my eyes (not at you) to anyone who doesn't welcome the chance to add talent to our withering offense.

Amazing that TY Hilton was finally signed. I never thought he was as good as hyped, however 

Beasley does the one thing that Allen asks of his WR more than anything - GOCTB

• Like (+1) 6

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.