Buffalo Bill receivers now lead the league in dropped passes

78thealltimegreat

After yesterday they passed the Green Bay Packers for most dropped passes by unit.  
  Part of this maybe weather, how hard Josh throws, or maybe it is just they are street level free agent talented.
 I really don’t want this to be the reason they don’t win the Super Bowl but man these guys should lock themselves on like a jugs machine. 

Edited by 78thealltimegreat
  • Like (+1) 6

1 minute ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

After yesterday they passed the Green Bay Packers for most dropped passes by unit.  
  Part of this maybe weather, how hard Josh throws, or maybe it is just they are street level free agent talented.
 I really don’t want this to be the reason they don’t win the Super Bowl but man these guys should lock themselves on like a jugs machine. 

Have to agree, they need to get this fixed. This team isn’t winning a Super Bowl by increasing the workload for Singletary or Cook. They need to get back to a high powered passing offense that cranks our first downs, rarely punts and mixes in back breaking Josh Allen runs. That’s the formula that will get them a Lombardi. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 2

30 minutes ago, TheBeaneBandit said:

Crap weather people....there's your answer.

Didn't seem to bother the Jets. White was getting killed out there, even had to leave the game twice, and still passed for 268. Meanwhile, Josh had a season low 147.

Edited by Billz4ever
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

39 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Link?

Numbers?

38 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Which is crazy given how much attention was given to the Green Bay drop issues...

Thankfully Josh doesn't have Rodgers personality so we don't hear him in the media throwing his team under the bus every week on every podcast that will have him.

Just now, Warriorspikes51 said:

Gabe did earlier in the season 

Gabe can prove the naysayers wrong, there's still time... but he seems like a one trick pony.  His best play is to run deep and just throw it up to him...he's usually good at making a play on the ball and coming down with it ( except the end of the game at NYJ).   He's not particularly fast or shifty on the short stuff.  One of his best plays was finding open space at New England last week and giving Allen an outlet for the TD.  And he does drop some balls.

This is the best I’ve found but it doesn’t include this weeks games.  http://hosted.stats.com/fb/tmleaders.asp?type=Receiving&range=NFL&rank=232

Green Bay had a bye.  So if we had 2 drops last game, we passed them.  It would be on the teams tier or below us to match us this week.  Either way, we drop way too many passes.  That’s obvious 

• Thank you (+1) 4

5 minutes ago, zow2 said:

Gabe can prove the naysayers wrong, there's still time... but he seems like a one trick pony.  His best play is to run deep and just throw it up to him...he's usually good at making a play on the ball and coming down with it ( except the end of the game at NYJ).   He's not particularly fast or shifty on the short stuff.  One of his best plays was finding open space at New England last week and giving Allen an outlet for the TD.  And he does drop some balls.

That's not even true. Last season he caught multiple crossing routes and multiple deep outs along the boundary. Yesterday he had a 20 yard reception on a stop route that was perfectly executed. 

He's more than just a deep shot guy. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

Sorry, I'm lazy, but is there a site that tracks drops game by game?

I have a theory that the rise in drops coincided with Josh having to re-tool his throwing motion to minimize pain after he got hurt.  Changes in velocity disrupt timing.

Of course, I could just be talking out of my ass.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Ethan in Cleveland said:

That's not even true. Last season he caught multiple crossing routes and multiple deep outs along the boundary. Yesterday he had a 20 yard reception on a stop route that was perfectly executed. 

The thing is the book is now out on him just ask Patrick Peterson after the Vikings game but that more be the offensive philosophy as a whole

2 minutes ago, BRH said:

Sorry, I'm lazy, but is there a site that tracks drops game by game?

I have a theory that the rise in drops coincided with Josh having to re-tool his throwing motion to minimize pain after he got hurt.  Changes in velocity disrupt timing.

Of course, I could just be talking out of my ass.

Nah I think this is definitely the issue. Josh does not make a lot of off angle throws lately. He clearly doesn't trust his arm like he normally does. Not surprising considering his injury.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

The fact that Miami (Hill, Waddle), Chiefs (Kelce, Smith-Schuster, Valdez-Scantling), Chargers (Ekeler, Mike Williams, Keenan Allen), Bucs (Mike Evans, Chris Godwin) are on there within 1 or 2 drops doesn't have anyone thinking twice about attributing this to the talent of the WRs? Yes, our guys drop the ball sometimes and need to work on it, but it isn't because they can't catch.

Edited by What a Tuel
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, What a Tuel said:

The fact that Miami, Chiefs, Chargers, Bucs are on there within 1 or 2 drops doesn't have anyone thinking twice about attributing this to the talent of the WRs? Yes, our guys drop the ball sometimes and need to work on it, but it isn't because they can't catch.

All these teams are high-frequency pass teams, but I'd like to see a "drops per pass" stat.  The Bears and Falcons are down near the bottom in drops, but they don't throw often.

14 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Gabe did earlier in the season 

Davis is 38 of 71 = 54% catch rate. 3rd lowest in the league. According to below Davis & Diggs lead the league in dropped passes.

3rd link has us 2nd to GB in dropped passes. Interesting Phins are 3rd & KC is 5th.

Who Has The Lowest Catch Percentage Among Wide Receivers | StatMuse

https://www.statmuse.com/nfl/ask/who-has-the-lowest-catch-percentage-among-wide-receivers

https://scores.nbcsports.com/fb/leaders.asp?type=Receiving&range=NFL&rank=232

http://hosted.stats.com/fb/tmleaders.asp?type=Receiving&range=NFL&rank=232

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

His rookie year he was the toe drag swag champion.

Need to upgrade the Wrs next year, been feeling that way most of the year, especially watching other games, other teams WRs.  Our unit outside of Diggs is poor.  Its amazing Allen has overcome it honestly 

1 hour ago, Boatdrinks said:

Have to agree, they need to get this fixed. This team isn’t winning a Super Bowl by increasing the workload for Singletary or Cook. They need to get back to a high powered passing offense that cranks our first downs, rarely punts and mixes in back breaking Josh Allen runs. That’s the formula that will get them a Lombardi. 

Need good recievers to accomplish that.  Bills only have 1

1 hour ago, TheBeaneBandit said:

Crap weather people....there's your answer.

Same excuse, the weather excuse only works when it affects everyone.  Jets wr had no problem catching it early on, but I guess it was just bad weather when the Bills had the ball

Davis is curious. He used to be the king of the tough catch. This year he really has struggled.  Mckenzie always has had poor hands.  Shakir too small sample size. Knox, better but still an issue at times. Singletary struggles. Bottom line: WR top priority next off-season, followed VERY closely by O line. Other than maybe safety I don't want to see a defensive pick until at least the 5th rd!!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.