Buffalo Bill receivers now lead the league in dropped passes

78thealltimegreat

funny all these threads finding everything the team is doing wrong while they sit at 10-3.

I think we need to go back to the drought days. maybe then some will appreciate what a winning team is, REGARDLESS of how they won. by one point, 10 or 40. a WIN is a WIN!!!

some will just never be satisfied.

• Eyeroll 3
  • Disagree 1

2 minutes ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

funny all these threads finding everything the team is doing wrong while they sit at 10-3.

I think we need to go back to the drought days. maybe then some will appreciate what a winning team is, REGARDLESS of how they won. by one point, 10 or 40. a WIN is a WIN!!!

Don't you know that "some" are just better fans than us and demand a better result.

I hear that one all the time.

Just now, Billz4ever said:

The Defense saved the Offense this week.

Good thing Beane and McDermott spend time and treasure on the D.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

Just like Hamilton...I will never be satisfied! He will never be satisfiiiied!

image.png.7558a6e77682df91e2e5b46502376b24.png

Edited by Big Turk

4 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Okay. I think the 4 I listed were definitely in the category of a "drop". I wonder what the 5th credited drop was. Rather than, got fingers on a pass didn't reel in.

I think Knox had 2?

There was one early on over the middle. where it went through his hands, and I remember because he then looked like his gloves were wet and they showed him trying to dry them off in his pants.

Then had that one out in the flat that hit him in the chest.

Or am I misremembering? 

Just been through it... there were 5 drops that is the right number.

2 x McKenzie on 3rd downs (1st Qrtr and 3rd Qrtr)

1 x Singletary on the simple flip pass (4th Qrtr)

1 x Knox (final possession)

1 x Brown (1st Qrtr deep ball)

Diggs and Davis no drops yesterday. There was a 3rd potential McKenzie drop negated by a defensive holding. 

15 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

The Davis one he couldn't stay in bounds so I think that might count

No they gave him that in the end. He was in.

14 minutes ago, teef said:

wasn't there a quick slant that he didn't connect with?  i was watching my kids during the game and it was not going well.

Yea first drive but that wasn't anywhere near him. Josh just missed.

15 minutes ago, Wayne Cubed said:

I think Knox had 2?

There was one early on over the middle. where it went through his hands, and I remember because he then looked like his gloves were wet and they showed him trying to dry them off in his pants.

Then had that one out in the flat that hit him in the chest.

Or am I misremembering? 

Nope just one. There was a play in the 4th before his drop where he got fingers on one out to the sideline but the DB got his arm in and deflected it. Definitely not a drop. 

It was 5. Those 5 I listed. That is still  too many mind you. Especially when it isn't like it is a one off and we have been perfect other weeks.

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

While I don't know the official definition, only very obvious drops are counted, i.e. when coverage is not there and the receiver does not need to make any extraordinary effort to catch or hold onto a ball.

I.e. even though John Brown had both hands on the ball and was securing the catch, once the NYJ player's hands knocked it out, that would not be a drop (exact same same with Knox where the ball was jarred loose though he had it secured to his body).

Basically you need to hit the player in the #'s and they drop it on their own accord or like Singletary or MacKenzie have two hands securing the ball and drop it with out a Defensive player contacting you.

Yesterday there were drops, but also a # of contested catches that need to be made (at least once in a while).     

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Just been through it... there were 5 drops that is the right number.

2 x McKenzie on 3rd downs (1st Qrtr and 3rd Qrtr)

1 x Singletary on the simple flip pass (4th Qrtr)

1 x Knox (final possession)

1 x Brown (1st Qrtr deep ball)

Diggs and Davis no drops yesterday. There was a 3rd potential McKenzie drop negated by a defensive holding. 

No they gave him that in the end. He was in.

Yea first drive but that wasn't anywhere near him. Josh just missed.

Nope just one. There was a play in the 4th before his drop where he got fingers on one out to the sideline but the DB got his arm in and deflected it. Definitely not a drop. 

I doubt those were called drops.  If they were let me know.

Can sort below by week and will include week 14 tomorrow.

https://www.fantasypros.com/nfl/advanced-stats-qb.php?range=week&week=14

Edited by Billsfan1972
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

I doubt those were called drops.  If they were let me know.

Pro Football Reference credited us with 5 yesterday. Those are the 5. Different analytics sites view drops differently. I agree not ever site would include those two. But the thread is tracking as per PFR

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

Pro Football Reference credited us with 5 yesterday. Those are the 5. Different analytics sites view drops differently. I agree not ever site would include those two. But the thread is tracking as per PFR

Good they were drops in my book as in both cases the receiver had both hands securely on the football prior to any contact.   Will see Fantasy Pros tomorrow.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, gobills404 said:

Because contrary to popular belief, not every single catchable pass that ends up incomplete is a drop

I think the catchable balls seem like drops when we repeatedly see our opponents make those catches against our secondary.  To be honest, watch any other NFL game and you see NFL skill players routinely make catches that our guys don’t.  

In today’s NFL, how many Bills’ skill players would be considered to have good hands?  Diggs and that’s it.  And he seems to be having more and more whiny fits where he doesn’t go for a ball if it’s not put right on him.  

Edited by BuffaloRebound

54 minutes ago, Freak-O said:

Feels like Isaiah drops about as many as he catches, but that’s probably wrong. 

Every time I see the ball thrown to him, it feels the same as when you have a bad punt returner waiting for the fumble.  Wait, its the same guy.  Last year in the league imo.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Epstein's Mother said:

Not what I'm saying at all.  Just saying that Minnesota, Tennessee, Seattle and Miami all would have been very happy with an ugly win yesterday.

Very true, but we better kick it into another gear come playoff time because I don't think we're going to win playoff football if our offense is struggling like this.

We can't really afford any more losses in the regular season either if we want to keep the #1 seed.  There's a chance KC could lose another game, but I don't see it happening.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

To an extent, I think there’s some mitigation for a small percentage of our drops, and that is simply the velocity that Allen can impart to the football.

Doesn't mean our receivers shouldn’t do better, but on day like yesterday, the extra on the football, likely makes it proportionately more difficult to reel in.

• Agree 1

12 minutes ago, Billz4ever said:

Very true, but we better kick it into another gear come playoff time because I don't think we're going to win playoff football if our offense is struggling like this.

We can't really afford any more losses in the regular season either if we want to keep the #1 seed.  There's a chance KC could lose another game, but I don't see it happening.

I could not agree more.

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

I think the catchable balls seem like drops when we repeatedly see our opponents make those catches against our secondary.  To be honest, watch any other NFL game and you see NFL skill players routinely make catches that our guys don’t.  

In today’s NFL, how many Bills’ skill players would be considered to have good hands?  Diggs and that’s it.  And he seems to be having more and more whiny fits where he doesn’t go for a ball if it’s not put right on him.  

I think you may just be watching highlights only. Sure if you watch other complete games, you will see some amazing catches across the league, but you know what else you will see if you watch complete games from other teams? Bad throws by QBs, drops by WRs, sacks allowed by the offensive lines, etc. It isn't just the Bills. You also have to take into account opponents, weather, circumstances (like snow storms, travel, amount of practice time, etc.). Of course a receiver in good weather against a mediocre team will look a hell of a lot better than a receiver in a bad weather game against a top 5 defense. It feels like a lot of people have lost some perspective and just expect that the Bills should score 40 every week regardless of opponent, conditions, circumstances.

You would think this team is on a 4-game losing streak, not a 4-game winning streak with the way posters are reacting today. I agree that the drops were frustrating yesterday, but the idea that the only quality players on offense are Allen and Diggs (as I have seen a number of posters say) and everyone else needs to go, is ridiculous. These are pretty much the same guys that had a near perfect playoff run last year (sans Beasley). As long as we keep winning, then some patience seems warranted to me.

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, Donuts and Doritos said:

Davis is 38 of 71 = 54% catch rate. 3rd lowest in the league. According to below Davis & Diggs lead the league in dropped passes.

3rd link has us 2nd to GB in dropped passes. Interesting Phins are 3rd & KC is 5th.

Who Has The Lowest Catch Percentage Among Wide Receivers | StatMuse

https://www.statmuse.com/nfl/ask/who-has-the-lowest-catch-percentage-among-wide-receivers

https://scores.nbcsports.com/fb/leaders.asp?type=Receiving&range=NFL&rank=232

http://hosted.stats.com/fb/tmleaders.asp?type=Receiving&range=NFL&rank=232

I think that 2nd link doesn't include yesterdays game.  At least, it shows Diggs and Davis both with 6, which, I'm pretty sure, was the case before Sunday.

Pro-football-reference has now updated and shows them both with 7

Point made earlier (sorry don't remember by whom) that # drops doesn't tell a complete story, since (for example) Diggs has more than twice as many targets as Davis. 

1 hour ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Here's the one up to last week.

https://www.fantasypros.com/nfl/advanced-stats-qb.php

looks as though they just updated it to include Week 14.

3 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

After yesterday they passed the Green Bay Packers for most dropped passes by unit. 

You Sure About That?

This site says "through week 14"

https://www.fantasypros.com/nfl/advanced-stats-qb.php

Looks like Tampa and GB 1st

This site looks like it just updated to include week 14 and calculates drop %, which I think is fair.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2022/advanced.htm

Bills seem to be #6, right after....the Dolphins

Straight numbers has Bills #3, again tied with Dolphins, Green Bay #1

Edited by Beck Water
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, folz said:

I think you may just be watching highlights only. Sure if you watch other complete games, you will see some amazing catches across the league, but you know what else you will see if you watch complete games from other teams? Bad throws by QBs, drops by WRs, sacks allowed by the offensive lines, etc. It isn't just the Bills. You also have to take into account opponents, weather, circumstances (like snow storms, travel, amount of practice time, etc.). Of course a receiver in good weather against a mediocre team will look a hell of a lot better than a receiver in a bad weather game against a top 5 defense. It feels like a lot of people have lost some perspective and just expect that the Bills should score 40 every week regardless of opponent, conditions, circumstances.

You would think this team is on a 4-game losing streak, not a 4-game winning streak with the way posters are reacting today. I agree that the drops were frustrating yesterday, but the idea that the only quality players on offense are Allen and Diggs (as I have seen a number of posters say) and everyone else needs to go, is ridiculous. These are pretty much the same guys that had a near perfect playoff run last year (sans Beasley). As long as we keep winning, then some patience seems warranted to me.

I made a post in another thread, not going rehash it but outside of Diggs, Allen. Morse, and Dawkins everyone else is average or below average.  Very replaceable.  We started the season worse than last year with the loss of Beasley and Sanders.  We signed a downgrade at Wr to replace Beasley, did not replace Sanders and bumped up Mckenzie in the depth chart because we had no upgrades.  We downgraded our Wrs.  Did nothing for our oline which needed upgraded as well. We just signed a massive contract to add to the already league leading Dline contract and used more draft capital on defense instead of improving our needed improving skill positions.  Its not a over reaction, but an observation that many fans see.  I saw the offense as a downgrade from last year before the 1st game was played on paper

25 minutes ago, folz said:

Yes, there are plenty of bad teams in NFL mostly due to their QB play, but you’re not watching any games besides the Bills if you don’t see the rising quality of offensive skill position players across the NFL especially when it comes to winning 50/50 balls.  Even if you only watched Bills games it’s hard not to notice how good other teams skill players are at catching contested throws.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.