The Hit Heard Around the World 2.0

BobbyC81

BLASPHEMY!

Wash yer damn mouth out with soap! 

Stratton’s 1 hit happened early in the 1st quarter, breaking ribs and sidelining SD’s best player. The entire Charger team deflated from that hit -a sound that still haunts their dreams. All this in a Championship Game the Bills came back to win!

Milano’s hit? Just sidelined their QB for a little while. Hell, White was hit harder later. 

Got Dam, Whippersnapper!

60C34B46-4F24-4BD8-9950-BD48C5AD4AE1.jpeg

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 9
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, BobbyC81 said:

That hit by Milano on White brought back memories of the Mike Stratton (also #58) back in the 1960’s.  It was even more impressive on the replays.  You could just about see all the air coming out of White’s lungs.  

On impact his body folded the exact way a crash dummy looks in seatbelt lol dude got ran over by a car 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 1

He got folded over Milano's shoulder pads so forcefully his hands touched his toes.  It was nuts.  

On a quasi-related note, I work in the medical field and if I saw that hit, and his reaction when he went to the ground, I would not feel comfortable letting him out of my ER without getting a CT scan of his abdomen to look at his liver.  There's more to worry about with that hit than just fractured ribs or a right lung injury.  I'm really surprised they let him back on the field.  They have x-rays at those facilities but not CT scans.  The Tua thing, now this, the NFL is really rolling the dice with these players.   I hate to say it, but It's just a matter of time.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 3

11 minutes ago, LondonBill said:

Milano is a ***** missile and I love him. His technique in the tackle is insanely good. Reference won't translate I don't think. But he tackles like rugby players do over here. He's one of the best tacklers I've ever seen in any sport. 

Rugby tackle is the perfect analogy.

• Agree 1

It’s not just his head on tackles. The man tackles players in motion round the ankles. That’s so difficult to do and he just makes it look effortless. I love watching him 

I really hope McD puts Hamlin in a room with him. Cos Hamlin hits, but he doesn’t tackle. I think he’s technically very poor in that regard and Milano can teach him - as much as what Milano does can ever be taught 

Edited by LondonBill
  • Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, LondonBill said:

Milano is a ***** missile and I love him. His technique in the tackle is insanely good. Reference won't translate I don't think. But he tackles like rugby players do over here. He's one of the best tacklers I've ever seen in any sport. 

5 hours ago, hemma said:

Rugby tackle is the perfect analogy.

AKA proper tackling technique. I wish the rest of the league would get back to it instead of this "human missile" garbage they all try.

Great vid on it here:

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

Stratton’s 1 hit happened early in the 1st quarter, breaking ribs and sidelining SD’s best player. The entire Charger team deflated from that hit -a sound that still haunts their dreams. All this in a Championship Game the Bills came back to win!

Milano’s hit? Just sidelined their QB for a little while. Hell, White was hit harder later. 

Got Dam, Whippersnapper!

White is a tougher QB and therefore doesn't reflect poorly on Milano. Sure it isn't a championship game, but it did affect the game and gave us a win... that is undeniable!

I'm not as old as you probably, but 50 is old here LOL

• Eyeroll 1

1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

AKA proper tackling technique. I wish the rest of the league would get back to it instead of this "human missile" garbage they all try.

It is hard to teach tackling with rules mandated by NFLPA.

Jets QB situation remains a hot mess vs. Bills, but they're not going back to Zach Wilson

White was en route to a hospital to be tested for rib injuries sustained on a pair of violent blows against the Bills. Barring bad news from the hospital, White will "for sure" start next week against the Detroit Lions, according to Saleh. He reportedly joined his Jets teammates for the plane ride home.

Christian D'Andrea

@TrainIsland

prayers up for Mike White's ribcage, or whatever remains of it

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Livinginthepast said:

A text book perfect tackle. White's ribs must been broken. Perhaps Milano could teach the other members of the Bills D in technique as that was exceptional!

That's the point - it was perfect technique. Very effective and greatly reduces any chance for a roughing penalty. I don't understand guys who lead with their helmets and then get all pissy when they're called for a penalty. Milano's tackle should be on every instructional video.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, YattaOkasan said:

picking a nit.  Who hit him harder?  That was by far the hardest hit of the game and was probably why he had to go to hospital.  

He did not NEED to go to hospital or he would have gone during game.  

Are you saying JEST coaches were negligent and should be penalized?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

He did not NEED to go to hospital or he would have gone during game.  

Are you saying JEST coaches were negligent and should be penalized?

He did go to the hospital after the game.  so youre right and i can edit to say "why the jets trainers thought he should go to the hospital after the game" rather than "he had to go."

Its not a head issue so if he says he wants to play through the pain then noone is negligent.  

Respect the nit picking, but was there a harder hit on white?  really wanna make sure im remember it correctly

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

He got folded over Milano's shoulder pads so forcefully his hands touched his toes.  It was nuts.  

On a quasi-related note, I work in the medical field and if I saw that hit, and his reaction when he went to the ground, I would not feel comfortable letting him out of my ER without getting a CT scan of his abdomen to look at his liver.  There's more to worry about with that hit than just fractured ribs or a right lung injury.  I'm really surprised they let him back on the field.  They have x-rays at those facilities but not CT scans.  The Tua thing, now this, the NFL is really rolling the dice with these players.   I hate to say it, but It's just a matter of time.

Word on the street is his spleen is still at the Buffalo hospital 

• Haha (+1) 1

12 hours ago, BobbyC81 said:

That hit by Milano on White brought back memories of the Mike Stratton (also #58) back in the 1960’s.  It was even more impressive on the replays.  You could just about see all the air coming out of White’s lungs.  

Honestly, my hats off to Mike White.  And if I’m in that locker room, I’ve got a ton of respect for him.  He was crushed badly three times, all legit and legal hits too.  I mean he was beat up and knocked out of game 3 times and still kept coming back for more.  Beat up so bad he had to go to hospital after game.

The odds that team will go back to Wilson after that are about zero IMO.  White likely isn’t the long term answer, but players will respect and fight for teammates who fight for them.  

Respect to White, he’s a tough SOB.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

9 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Yeh I do too and agree CT with contrast to view any potential internal bleeding...

1 hour ago, FilthyBeast said:

I'm still shocked he wasn't flagged, if that was on Mahomes he would have probably been ejected and flagged.

You can’t be serious here. Milano’s hit on White was a textbook example of how to hit the QB in todays NFL - without drawing a flag. Watch it again.. it’s perfect, right down to not bringing your weight down on him when hitting the ground. It wouldn’t have mattered if it was Mahomes. A flag on that play would have been criminal. 

3 hours ago, YattaOkasan said:

picking a nit.  Who hit him harder?  That was by far the hardest hit of the game and was probably why he had to go to hospital.  

Agreed. Milano laid the hardest hit on White all game, and it is not even close.  Sure other Bills hit him, but no one folded him in 1/2.

1 hour ago, Boatdrinks said:

You can’t be serious here. Milano’s hit on White was a textbook example of how to hit the QB in todays NFL - without drawing a flag. Watch it again.. it’s perfect, right down to not bringing your weight down on him when hitting the ground. It wouldn’t have mattered if it was Mahomes. A flag on that play would have been criminal. 

To be fair, refs do throw a lot of criminal flags.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

I admire White’s toughness. Coming back out to try and lead his team in such an important game for them must have been inspiring. However, I have to say that I think he needs to protect himself better. He had to see Milano coming and tried to make the throw anyway. A players best ability is availability. He should have thrown it away early (like Brady would have) or just protected himself, taken the sack, and lived for the next play or series. I would never want Allen trying something like that.

23 hours ago, BobbyC81 said:

The worst hits I have seen always involved 2 people going opposite directions at full speed like Safety vs WR or LB vs RB collisions before the rules changes back in the 70s/80s/90s like Lott, Atwater, Tatum, Lynch, Jack Ham, Romanowski, Ray Lewis, Bruce, and in the wayback it was Butkus and Night Train. I also saw Csonka also destroy about 10 Bills LBs on runs in one game at Rich.  

The Milano hit literally bent White like a folding table. Compare that versus the feeble tackling of Dane Jackson who looked awful tacking one on one. 

Textbook hit. Should be used a teaching video on how to legally lay a big  hit another player.  With all the stupid roughing flags thrown, surprised it wasn’t flagged. Gotta say, hope there isn’t any BS fines to come out of it.

Great hit, but what is lost here is White has got to learn how to defend himself.  Losing a spleen isn’t worth an incomplete pass

On 12/12/2022 at 6:38 AM, LondonBill said:

100% - wish we could’ve sent this D to a rugby camp for tackling. 

Though it’s also worth noting Rugby  teaches the fallback tackle for the guy making first contact to grapple and then fall with the momentum backward, slowing progress, and letting teammates complete the tackle. More common strategy overall given they don’t need to defend first downs, etc. Most every other time they are running with the carrier and tackle with momentum. But on the occasion they need an open field tackle against momentum this is what you’ll see, and rarely tackle with contact above the ribs. 

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Locomark said:

I also saw Csonka also destroy about 10 Bills LBs on runs in one game at Rich.  

A healthy Derrick Henry I suspect is a bigger faster version of Csonka.  Cookie Gilchrist could dish out some punishment on defenders, but he was the size of the O lineman and the LB's and DB's were not the specimens they are today.

I was at the AFC Championship game in 1964 at the Rockpile. The tickets were my Christmas present, game was the day after Christmas.  Lincoln was the BEST player on the Chargers, and one of the top two RB's in the league.  He had run for over 200 yards, and caught passes for over 100 in the previous year's AFC title game.  That hit changed the entire game.  You could see the entire Chargers sideline deflate after that hit.  Modern day equivalent would be taking McCaffrey out of the game with a tackle.

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, Warcodered said:

Fj0-YMWWAAA4g_M?format=jpg&name=medium

Posterized is the term here I think.

On 12/12/2022 at 3:02 AM, Chandler#81 said:

BLASPHEMY!

Got Dam, Whippersnapper!

Who's Mike Stratton???

😉 Kidding..

On 12/12/2022 at 3:02 AM, Chandler#81 said:

BLASPHEMY!

Got Dam, Whippersnapper!

😉

Edited by PonyBoy
Doubled up post

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.