Shout out to Isaiah Hodgins

RenoNVBillsfan

Gotta shout out to my guy Isaiah Hodgins. Back-to-back games with receiving TD’s. Feel for the dude having to deal with the putrid passing ability of Daniel Jones. The guy hasn’t passed beyond 200 yards in the past 2 games. 56.5 QBR for the season. Imagine the red zone threat he could have been had the Bills retained him. After watching McKenzie be less than inspiring this season, I still believe the Bills cut the wrong Isaiah. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, RenoNVBillsfan said:

After watching McKenzie be less than inspiring this season, I still believe the Bills cut the wrong Isaiah. 

Except Isaiah McKenzie is a speed slot WR, gadget player, return man and Isaiah Hodgins is a tall outside WR that doesn't play Special Teams. They'd never cut McKenzie for Hodgins. They basically play two different positions.

If anyone was getting cut for Hodgins, it would have been Jake Kumerow. But when healthy he's also a very solid Special Teams player.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 11

1 hour ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Except Isaiah McKenzie is a speed slot WR, gadget player, return man and Isaiah Hodgins is a tall outside WR that doesn't play Special Teams. They'd never cut McKenzie for Hodgins. They basically play two different positions.

If anyone was getting cut for Hodgins, it would have been Jake Kumerow. But when healthy he's also a very solid Special Teams player.

Jake Kumerow is a solid blocking WR something  Isaiah Hodgins has never shown.

The Jiants appear to be a team on rise waiting for a QB like Bills were when Coach McD took over.

4 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

uuum.. no. McKenzie is NOT a return man. He’s simply too small for that (arms aren’t long enough to safely protect the football upon contact). You’ll only see him if 3 other return guys go down to injury. He can’t run precise routes, nuts up under contact or contested catch attempts and can’t block ..well.. ME! I don’t care what anyone else thinks, he shouldn’t be on the team. I’d much prefer playing against him over with him.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

22 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

uuum.. no. McKenzie is NOT a return man. He’s simply too small for that (arms aren’t long enough to safely protect the football upon contact). You’ll only see him if 3 other return guys go down to injury. He can’t run precise routes, nuts up under contact or contested catch attempts and can’t block ..well.. ME! I don’t care what anyone else thinks, he shouldn’t be on the team. I’d much prefer playing against him over with him.

Okay, but it's something he's done and could do. Even if you remove that from his repertoire, the point is moot. Isaiah Hodgins for Isaiah McKenzie is not something that would happen as they are completely different WR's that line up and play completely differently.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

24 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Okay, but it's something he's done and could do. Even if you remove that from his repertoire, the point is moot. Isaiah Hodgins for Isaiah McKenzie is not something that would happen as they are completely different WR's that line up and play completely differently.

I agree, very different.

Hodgins catches the ball.  McKenzie doesn’t.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 6

6 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Hodgins could be a big slot.  Something that we could use right now. 

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

He had one good return against Miami 2 years ago but in reality, he's a liability back there. The coaching staff doesnt trust him anymore hence the Hines trade. Mackenzie's only use is a gadget play but even those havent been working. To me, Mackenzie has lost his right to start with the amount of drops and boneheaded plays. Time to give Shakir a chance.

• Like (+1) 1

Our #2 WR the last 5 weeks:  24 receptions, 245 yards, 2 TDs.

A former Bill who the Giants picked up off of waivers the last five weeks: 17 receptions, 183 yards, 2 TDs.

Happy for him and I have never been in the "meh, he can't block or play special teams, dump him" camp.

No way am I saying that IH is better than GD (although the comments after this will no doubt claim that's what I am saying).  It's just frustrating what is going on with this team, especially at that position that is so critical to making our system go.

Give me an "incomplete" or "alternative skill deficient" receiver who is a good size and can catch [EDIT]...every time, because I don't think Josh Allen stays awake at night wondering if his receivers can tackle on kickoffs. 

Edited by dollars 2 donuts
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

If you’re not playing ST’s as a WR 5 or whatever you won’t make this roster. Simple as that. Good for Hodgins, but he’s hardly some tonic for the offense. I think the staff wanted to see more from him that never materialized. 

Edited by Boatdrinks

3 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

I'm done with the McKenzie experience as well. Give me John Brown or Shakir in the slot. With Brown and Diggs on the field at the same time, either can go deep or across the field.

41 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

If you’re not playing ST’s as a WR 5 or whatever you won’t make this roster. Simple as that. Good for Hodgins, but he’s hardly some tonic for the offense. I think the staff wanted to see more from him that never materialized. 

Very respectfully, BD, that is about important to me as "if you didn't practice this week you can't play on Sunday" and "you can't lose your job to injury."

I don't care if a guy actually helps the opposing team on special teams as long as the guy they are going to be paying 45 million dollars trusts and finds him a few times a game for 1st downs and TDs I am comfortable with it.

...and the proof being that essentially a waiver wire walk-on being a productive part of any offense when he is not even remotely the main guy is a potentially valuable tool for any QB to have in his arsenal bag.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts

3 hours ago, hemma said:

I agree, very different.

Hodgins catches the ball.  McKenzie doesn’t.

And yet McKenzie is right behind Diggs for catch % with 69.1%, how can this be when he doesn't catch the ball?

Hodgins (when with the Bills) has a lower catch % with 66.7%, how can this be when he catches the ball "unlike McKenzie"?

(Hodgins has a better catch % with the Giants, so good for him!)

12 minutes ago, Luka said:

Still can't figure out what went into evaluating the receivers in the offseason. Hodgins, Shakir, Diggs and Davis would've made a hell of a group. 

You know Shakir gets ~16 snaps per game on average, right?  More vs Detroit, 12 yesterday.  He's been targeted 17 times and has 8 receptions.

I would have liked to see the Bills keep Hodgins.  I think it was bad luck as far as injuries at other positions that led to him being waived.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Beck Water said:

And yet McKenzie is right behind Diggs for catch % with 69.1%, how can this be when he doesn't catch the ball?

Hodgins (when with the Bills) has a lower catch % with 66.7%, how can this be when he catches the ball "unlike McKenzie"?

(Hodgins has a better catch % with the Giants, so good for him!)

You know Shakir gets ~16 snaps per game on average, right?  More vs Detroit, 12 yesterday.  He's been targeted 17 times and has 8 receptions.

I would have liked to see the Bills keep Hodgins.  I think it was bad luck as far as injuries at other positions that led to him being waived.

I know he isn't getting enough snaps, yes. 

1 minute ago, Beck Water said:

So what is he doing in the snaps he gets, and with the targets he gets, which you can show to us as evidence he should be getting more?

It's all based on chemistry and trust, if Josh isn't given the opportunity to build those things with him, it will continue to be a stalemate. This isn't baseball, too many fans on this board with percentages and decimal points. 

9 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Hodgins is not an outside WR, he's basically a "big slot" type aka David Nelson (but not as fast).

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Luka said:

It's all based on chemistry and trust, if Josh isn't given the opportunity to build those things with him, it will continue to be a stalemate. This isn't baseball, too many fans on this board with percentages and decimal points. 

Actually its not. The plays are designed for a certain read progression against a certain defense. I would find it hard to believe there is more than 1 or 2 plays designed to go to Shakir as the fourth WR. In most cases the fourth WR is only used to move a safety or other CB out of an area to free space for your #1,2, or 3. 

It has little to do with chemistry and trust. 

10 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Good post. 2 different roles. STs is important but I can’t imagine how much better JK is than IH. Because IH is certainly a better receiver. But JK does make dope hemp bracelets so that is a big plus.

Just now, gobills404 said:

Then go tell him he should actually block well or catch the ball if you wanna see him on the field more.

He was one of the best blocking receivers coming out of college. Also I can recall at least 3 throws to him (1 yesterday) where he draws a PI. Try again.

5 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

I agree,  it comes down to trust you have in him in making plays in key situations.  So many times this season he has had critical drops when the team needed a play.  You could point the KC game when he dropped a pass that would have got the Bills out of hole near our own goal line or many other key drops when the team needed it.  It's been a huge problem all season long and he is not making enough big plays that outweigh the negative plays.

He open for a reason, most teams have their weakest corner covering him. Beasley was not as fast but was sure handed and always seem to find open spots,  when I see Josh holding on to the ball I believe it's because McKENIZE is his only option and there is no trust in him.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Luka said:

He was one of the best blocking receivers coming out of college. Also I can recall at least 3 throws to him (1 yesterday) where he draws a PI. Try again.

That’s what you need to say to Shakir every time he lets a pass go incomplete lol. There’s no way to justify a 47% catch percentage but go off I guess.

• Haha (+1) 1

12 hours ago, RenoNVBillsfan said:

Gotta shout out to my guy Isaiah Hodgins. Back-to-back games with receiving TD’s. Feel for the dude having to deal with the putrid passing ability of Daniel Jones. The guy hasn’t passed beyond 200 yards in the past 2 games. 56.5 QBR for the season. Imagine the red zone threat he could have been had the Bills retained him. After watching McKenzie be less than inspiring this season, I still believe the Bills cut the wrong Isaiah. 

Shhhhh. This type of posting will upset the Beane and McDermott worshiper's and contradict their narratives.

But yes we have 'Little Dirty' on this roster who does nothing on game days but makes some dope videos on the Bills social media page.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

Beane didn't want to get rid of Hodgins.  He did get greedy thinking he could clear waivers.

Considering that Hines is now the Kick and Punt Returner,  McKenzie is now a non-ST Slot receiver.   I assume he will get phased out with Beasley coming back in and Hines getting more touches.

On 12/12/2022 at 7:48 AM, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Actually its not. The plays are designed for a certain read progression against a certain defense. I would find it hard to believe there is more than 1 or 2 plays designed to go to Shakir as the fourth WR. In most cases the fourth WR is only used to move a safety or other CB out of an area to free space for your #1,2, or 3. 

It has little to do with chemistry and trust. 

If you think that the trust in chemistry between Josh Allen and digs is not important then I don’t know what to say

When did TBD become enamored with congratulating former Bills who never made it here?

But while we're at it...I want to congratulate Jason Peters for continuing to make Russ Brandon look a complete clown on his way to Canton.  Not many 40 year olds playing OT for a playoff team and getting meaningful snaps.  

The guy is putting up numbers in the receiving game for NY & if he was able to here i think he could have done the same while i watched a piece of the game last night he made a couple of catches & some here say it's because they have no one else NOT ..

I will root for him as long as they aren't playing against the Bills . Last nights game had quite a few ex Bills on the field which lets us all know that Beane & company must be doing something right seeing as other teams pick up our guys as soon as they come available .

• 2 weeks later...
This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.