Chase Claypool to the Bears

Process

2 minutes ago, PetermansRedemption said:

And that guy is…. Chase Claypool? The other 3 receivers mentioned were superstars. Claypool is a bust. Not remotely comparable. 

Can we spot saying bust without viewing all the circumstances? It completely devalues the word. Claypool had more yards and tds than Diggs did his first 2 years and is still 24.  He played with corpse of big rape and terrible backup type qbs since. 

2 minutes ago, Rico said:

Claypool must’ve really pissed the Steelers off.

They find receivers every year.  They sold high on him and still have 2 really good receivers. Good trade.

Just now, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

Your joking right? He is honestly the only QB that I have ever watched with worse field vision that Tyrod Taylor. 

I said the last 2 weeks. He did things in both the Patriots and especially the Cowboys game that were impressive. I was shocked in that Cowboys game with some of the throws he made. I didn't say he was good. I said he has shown signs of possible improvement the last 2 weeks

• Agree 1

15 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Definitely in the minority but I like the move for both teams. Claypool has played with junk qbs and has shown flashes. Fields is showing some signs (may be the best qb of that awful class now!) and they got him a weapon. 

it’s not the Diggs trade but I’m always find with getting your young qb weapons, even if you have to pay a little more.

I'd say he's more like adding a Beasley type possession wr. Mooney is like the Jon Brown speedster, so now they need a true #1, and a much improved OLine. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Can we spot saying bust without viewing all the circumstances? It completely devalues the word. Claypool had more yards and tds than Diggs did his first 2 years and is still 24.  He played with corpse of big rape and terrible backup type qbs since. 

They find receivers every year.  They sold high on him and still have 2 really good receivers. Good trade.

Big difference between expectations of being drafted in the 6th round Vs being drafted in the 2nd round though. 

Just now, Dablitzkrieg said:

800 total yards in 2 years?

https://www.espn.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/4046692/chase-claypool

there’s hall of famers who have gotten off to worst starts than Claypool. Dude was a 2nd rounder and looked like a star as a rookie. But I guess if you can’t lit it up with duck Hodges, Mitchell, dead Ben, Helmet head Rudolph, you must suck. 

funny how juju looks a lot better in KC.  Almost like receivers need a competent qb.

2 minutes ago, PetermansRedemption said:

Big difference between expectations of being drafted in the 6th round Vs being drafted in the 2nd round though. 

agree to disagree.  Claypool had 1,700 yards and 11 tds his first 2 years. With garbage qbs and a lot of mouths to feed (Johnson, juju, Pat F). 

I think the trade makes sense for both sides.  I would have been thrilled with Claypool for a 2nd, though I think we need more of a Elijah Moore type

3 minutes ago, Gene1973 said:

Claypool is a punk.

Why?

1 minute ago, TheBrownBear said:

Why do people view Claypool as a bust?  He's done fine for a second round receiver and he's still young with plenty of time and room to improve.  He hasn't benefitted from very good QB play either.

Agree, he had a very good rookie season.  2nd year production was solid too, but he's not the leader/character concerns...might be addition by subtraction, for Steelers.  More targets for Pickens/Diontae.

Got solid value, and their issue has been oline and playcalling. 

7 minutes ago, TheBrownBear said:

Why do people view Claypool as a bust?  He's done fine for a second round receiver and he's still young with plenty of time and room to improve.  He hasn't benefitted from very good QB play either.

He had good stats the one year but it was mostly manufactured stuff that any WR could do with an occasional highlight play mixed in. If you've watched his film, he's a huge WR that plays like he's 5'8" and just doesn't really know how to do the things that make WRs successful. He routinely turns what should be 80/20 balls into 50/50 or worse.

With his tools and unrefined play, he's the type that teams should be surrendering a Day 3 pick for to take a flier and see if they can teach him. Instead, Chicago is giving up a likely top 40 pick to take him off the hands of an organization that's routinely considered the best in the league at developing WRs (and they couldn't develop him themselves).

Maturity issues on top of the on-field issues too. It's not that he's a bust; he just hasn't played up to the level that teams should be surrendering valuable picks for him.

Edited by DCOrange
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

I liked the other two trades Chicago made but this is a hilarious overpay to pray Claypool learns how big of a human he is.

Agree. It is kind of now or never for him. He is still all potential and project but he is not a rookie now. It is year 3. Time to produce. 

1 hour ago, PetermansRedemption said:

Lol wut? Bears should probably get a QB who can throw the ball first. 

Fields is getting better. This season he has had 2-3 really bad games and 2-3 solid games.  

His second year completion percentage is the same that Allen had.  His rookie QB rating was far better than Allen's.  

I had him as the best prospect in that class even over Lawrence. Fields is playing with no supporting cast. Claypool will help.  Only time will tell if he can make the leap that Allen did his third year.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

23 minutes ago, MasterStrategist said:

Agree, he had a very good rookie season.  2nd year production was solid too, but he's not the leader/character concerns...might be addition by subtraction, for Steelers.  More targets for Pickens/Diontae.

Got solid value, and their issue has been oline and playcalling. 

He’s 24. I see character concerns but is it because he celebrates and does tik tok? Did he do anything worse than what Diggs did in Minnesota? 

I was a huge Claypool guy in the draft. He had an awful tragedy happen. And while he has had little maturity things, some of you are completely overrating how bad they and how much of a “bust” he has been. 

He has number 1 ability or worst case scenario, he is a solid 2. And most importantly, they helped out their qb who has the worst receivers in the nfl.

11 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Agree. It is kind of now or never for him. He is still all potential and project but he is not a rookie now. It is year 3. Time to produce. 

I hate this way of looking at receivers. Most dependent position in football.  It’s wrong to look at receiver potential in a vacuum.

8 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I hate this way of looking at receivers. Most dependent position in football.  It’s wrong to look at receiver potential in a vacuum.

You don't need a Quarterback to be able to run routes. To learn to use leverage. To improve your get off. He is still the same raw route runner he was coming out. Physical potential. Little sign of developed skillset.

16 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

You don't need a Quarterback to be able to run routes. To learn to use leverage. To improve your get off. He is still the same raw route runner he was coming out. Physical potential. Little sign of developed skillset.

Do you have a breakdown of his routes? Genuinely would like to see it. 

50 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

He’s 24. I see character concerns but is it because he celebrates and does tik tok? Did he do anything worse than what Diggs did in Minnesota? 

I was a huge Claypool guy in the draft. He had an awful tragedy happen. And while he has had little maturity things, some of you are completely overrating how bad they and how much of a “bust” he has been. 

He has number 1 ability or worst case scenario, he is a solid 2. And most importantly, they helped out their qb who has the worst receivers in the nfl.

There have been numerous reports of his immaturity, not just being young/tik tok. Coming from former players and media connected to the team.

https://steelersdepot.com/2021/12/ryan-clark-blasts-chase-claypool-most-immature-football-player-ive-ever-seen/

That's just 1 article, go search for others if you'd like.  Josina Anderson also posted an article today, that Claypool had been on thr market for weeks (seen as a locker room concern from inside steeler building).

Claypool is bad and the Steelers fans complain his lack of ability to us his size to fight for balls. Fields is ugh… The Bears are just an org that the good players want to leave and they need about 3 years of big drafts to be relevant again. I know, I live in Chicago and they are awful. Fields isn’t even that great of an overall athlete or they would be using him as a mini Lamar. His passing is poor and they can’t trust him to even run an option on a team that runs constantly. He is not a future QB. His ceiling is a quicker Brissett. This Claypool move won’t solve anything. They had to trade Roquan because there was no way he would ever sign there next year. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.