Is There So Little Love for Tremaine Edmunds?

Shaw66

• 1 month later...

The light bulb for Tremaine  Edmund's has officially turned on. Since he has come back against the Pat's he has played at a meteoric risen level that Josh Allen displayed in year 3. His instincts are being displayed at every moment, he is punishing people when he hits them with full confidence, he is beating blockers to the spot, he is shedding tackles better than ive ever seen him. His eyes are glued in the backfield. It's like they downloaded instincts into his brain and he is playing downhill with full confidence and is one scary mf right now. I am so happy to see this dude coming on and he is not looking back. I didn't know if he would get to this level but he has arrived. And he's not looking back. Big baller fkin Beane. This is like the middle linebacker version of bad things man. I am so fking pumped and I hope to hell we can re-ink this guy next year.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, akcash said:

he is beating blockers to the spot, he is shedding tackles better than ive ever seen him.

This. 👆

And he's also playing with his hips lower in coverage which has also really improved his overall game.

The comparison to Allen's huge single season leap forward is one I hadn't considered but might be apt.

When the season started I don't think the Bills had any real intention of paying him big bucks for what he brought to the field, but damn if he hasn't put Beane in a much more difficult spot now.

• Like (+1) 5

10 hours ago, akcash said:

The light bulb for Tremaine  Edmund's has officially turned on. Since he has come back against the Pat's he has played at a meteoric risen level that Josh Allen displayed in year 3. His instincts are being displayed at every moment, he is punishing people when he hits them with full confidence, he is beating blockers to the spot, he is shedding tackles better than ive ever seen him. His eyes are glued in the backfield. It's like they downloaded instincts into his brain and he is playing downhill with full confidence and is one scary mf right now. I am so happy to see this dude coming on and he is not looking back. I didn't know if he would get to this level but he has arrived. And he's not looking back. Big baller fkin Beane. This is like the middle linebacker version of bad things man. I am so fking pumped and I hope to hell we can re-ink this guy next year.

What a perfect assessment. Anyone who doesn’t see what this freak athlete has become is not paying attention.

• Like (+1) 1

On 11/3/2022 at 4:39 PM, BullBuchanan said:

Is it Kelce's 6 TDs and 475 yards across 5 games against us during Edmunds' time here or is it something else that leads you to this opinion?

You don’t get all ruffled up when our star QB throws multiple interceptions during games, and is or is on the verge of leading the league in that highly negative category, yet you constantly complain about Edmunds, ya can’t have it both ways buddy, screwing the pooch is screwing the pooch, and guess what, both Edmunds and Allen are 10-3 this season and the number one seed in the AFC…, waiting for the spin that Edmunds is the main glaring weakness and the root of all the teams issues. Have at it, can’t wait, I’ll be making coffee ️  😂👍

GO BILLS!!! Squish the fish!!!

2 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

You don’t get all ruffled up when our star QB throws multiple interceptions during games, and is or is on the verge of leading the league in that highly negative category, yet you constantly complain about Edmunds, ya can’t have it both ways buddy, screwing the pooch is screwing the pooch, and guess what, both Edmunds and Allen are 10-3 this season and the number one seed in the AFC…, waiting for the spin that Edmunds is the main glaring weakness and the root of all the teams issues. Have at it, can’t wait, I’ll be making coffee ️  😂👍

I don't? How long have you been following me exactly? Many posters would be shocked to hear this revelation.

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

Yeah I’m not so sure pointing to the stats of arguably the greatest TE of all time catching passes from Mahommes is the correct way to lay into Edmunds.

Without looking, I’d assume kelce’s numbers are excellent against almost every team.

Some people just need to be right.

2 minutes ago, julian said:

Yeah I’m not so sure pointing to the stats of arguably the greatest TE of all time catching passes from Mahommes is the correct way to lay into Edmunds.

Without looking, I’d assume kelce’s numbers are excellent against almost every team.

My comment was in response to a claim that Edmunds strengths are a perfect matchup vs the Chiefs when statistically they are anything but. Context matters.

12 minutes ago, Aesop said:

So, I know Beane is a wizard with the cap. But do we think Edmunds takes a team friendly deal next year? Dude is a balling out. 

PS-God Bless true 1 tech DTs.

The AAV will be fair for both sides.  Next year's cap will be low as a lot of cash will go to signing bonus.

I'm thinking it will be 5 years somewhere around $70M ($14M per year).  2023 cap hit around $8M.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Aesop said:

So, I know Beane is a wizard with the cap. But do we think Edmunds takes a team friendly deal next year? Dude is a balling out. 

PS-God Bless true 1 tech DTs.

NO.  He'll get a LOT of money from someone, and I hope it's not us.

I'm not sure we can fit him into the (financial) scheme anyway.

Find a baller with speed in the draft and replace him for peanuts.

There are a lot of good LBs running around this country.

Edited by Nextmanup

2 hours ago, julian said:

I wasn’t laying into Edmunds in the slightest, I was responding to someone who was, by presenting a comparison, read it again maybe? 

2 hours ago, BullBuchanan said:

I don't? How long have you been following me exactly? Many posters would be shocked to hear this revelation.

What you pointed out in the post I was responding to is a bread and butter  type of Edmonds complaint, so I compared it to another important player on the roster who as well makes bad plays, it was done to show the silliness of the constant “ Edmonds is always doing things wrong” mentality that abounds here. 

9 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

What you pointed out in the post I was responding to is a bread and butter  type of Edmonds complaint, so I compared it to another important player on the roster who as well makes bad plays, it was done to show the silliness of the constant “ Edmonds is always doing things wrong” mentality that abounds here. 

It would be silly except I hammer Josh for his mistakes too. Unlike Edmunds however he makes massive plays that greatly impact the team and is maybe the best player int he league when he's firing on all cylinders. Edmunds is an invisible player who at his absolute best still is the 2nd best linebacker on his own team.

I understand your argument, it just isn't very sound.

Edited by BullBuchanan

Man he’s really turned it around this year. I’ve been pretty down on TE to this point but I’ll admit, he won me over. 

The way I’ve grown to understand this D, it requires a space eating plug/DT(s) in the middle and a MLB capable of taking away the middle of the field. 

The CB’s, S’s and to some extent the DEs are all system players.

Put me in the Must Sign camp for now. 

It's a bad indicator when a MLB in this defense has not forced or recovered a fumble in his (EDIT: last) 56 games.  There's definitely improvement, but is it worth a multi-year contract paying 10M per?  You can't justify that cost at a position which even in McD's scheme.   

Especially when the defense already has 3 other guys getting paid that or more with their cap challenges they'll fae this off-season.   

Edited by BillsVet

10 minutes ago, DaggersEOD said:

Man he’s really turned it around this year. I’ve been pretty down on TE to this point but I’ll admit, he won me over. 

The way I’ve grown to understand this D, it requires a space eating plug/DT(s) in the middle and a MLB capable of taking away the middle of the field. 

This isn't how this D is supposed to function, that's why they drafted undersized, freakishly athletic Ed Oliver. The size up on the D Line was to make up for what Edmunds lacks. 

Aside from everyone's opinions, I think it's telling that he didn't get an extension in the offseason. Like Phillips and Lawson, he will be allowed to test the market. 

And none of those positions you rattled off at the end are system anything. Tre is a top 5 corner when healthy, Poyer is the best free safety in the league and Beane paid a 100 million to get Von Miller... Edmunds isn't in that camp, I don't care how many fan votes he gets. 

4 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

Edumonds has had such a great season and at 24 years old I am inclined to give him a big contract offer over Poyer. I love Poyer and all that he has done but give me the young LB over and older safety looking for a huge payday.

I'm hoping that Poyer and Beane can come to an agreement for a 1-year deal in the offseason.

$11M with $9M or so guaranteed and Beane pushes a chunk out with a void year.

Jordan still can find a team to pay him some coin in 2024.  He can't miss the chance to keep this thing going!

22 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

It's a bad indicator when a MLB in this defense has not forced or recovered a fumble in his (EDIT: last) 56 games.  There's definitely improvement, but is it worth a multi-year contract paying 10M per?  You can't justify that cost at a position which even in McD's scheme.   

Especially when the defense already has 3 other guys getting paid that or more with their cap challenges they'll fae this off-season.   

He'd be a steal at $10 mil.  Likely he'll be looking for around $15 mil, Spotrac places him at $14.2 mil.  Prior to this year not likely he'd have got that, now he likely may get $15 particularly when you factor in year to year increases.

Edmunds may not have the stats to back up it, but his abilities are vital to Mc'D's scheme so if you don't resign him, you better find a clone to him particularly around size and speed.  And goods luck finding that!  He makes the pass defense so much better do to his size clogging up passing lanes.

29 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

He'd be a steal at $10 mil.  Likely he'll be looking for around $15 mil, Spotrac places him at $14.2 mil.  Prior to this year not likely he'd have got that, now he likely may get $15 particularly when you factor in year to year increases.

Edmunds may not have the stats to back up it, but his abilities are vital to Mc'D's scheme so if you don't resign him, you better find a clone to him particularly around size and speed.  And goods luck finding that!  He makes the pass defense so much better do to his size clogging up passing lanes.

Edumonds will be 25 next season he should easily be able to play at a high level barring serious injury for the next 4 seasons. Easily worth a long term deal. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Don Otreply said:

I wasn’t laying into Edmunds in the slightest, I was responding to someone who was, by presenting a comparison, read it again maybe? 

Lol I know you weren’t, I was just adding to your argument and agreeing with you.

My bad, I’m not very skilled on this forum.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Done

14 hours ago, BullBuchanan said:

Done

agreed, same type of player. I think if they let Tremaine walk, they'd have to replace him with someone in the 1st, the only place you'll find the same intangibles, but that's sort of spinning your wheels. Most people here would rather see OL or WR in the 1st, not another defense pick.

19 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

The AAV will be fair for both sides.  Next year's cap will be low as a lot of cash will go to signing bonus.

I'm thinking it will be 5 years somewhere around $70M ($14M per year).  2023 cap hit around $8M.

I don't think 14m per gets it done, but that would be fine with me. He can get 16m per easy.

our FO is gonna have to figure who can be replaced at a greater value (cost/picks) than who we have.  poy, edmunds, and gotta think about oliver and gabe davis coming up too.

given we threw money at von, and we play so many dl, i think they won't sign oliver to the big contract he will likely command.  i suspect poyer will get more somewhere else and they don't want to pay out for an older db, so they more or less have to keep tremaine to keep some continuity in the gut fo the d

23 hours ago, DaggersEOD said:

Mostly people are simply noticing what he does in coverage more now for some reason - maybe injuries to so many starters.  Pretty mind boggling how people didn't see this prior to this year and his importance in the Bills pass defense schemes. 

Kinda of reminds me of the scene in Field of Dreams where they are sitting in the stands watching the game and the Brother keeps saying they are crazy and they are seeing all these made up people until Doc Graham comes off the field to save the little girl from choking, then he turns with astonishment and says "Where did all these people come from??"

That's how I feel most Bills fans are with Edmunds.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Edmunds is really hard to judge for an average fan. He seems to never make a big play (sack, turnover, tackle for loss, pass defended). On the other hand the defense seems to take a step back when he isn’t out there.

His role in McDermott’s defense seems to be to use his speed and size to lock down the middle of the field in coverage and then fly to the ball for support in running plays and short passing plays.

I wouldn’t give him a big pay day and think what he brings can be replaced for cheaper than he’s going to get. Use that cap on the offense!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.