Is There So Little Love for Tremaine Edmunds?

Shaw66

Just now, Believer said:

Huh?… Oliver coming into his own this year and showing his value, imo…

Edmunds is too, by all accounts. I think everyone can agree those two are kind of in the same boat. A lot of inconsistency over the years. Oliver often battling injury too.

Players who are unquestionably pretty good do not get talked about this much on TBD.  We don't have infinite topics on Kyle Williams, Freddy, Dawkins Tre, Allen, Milano, Poyer, Hyde, etc etc etc.

We do have infinite topics on players like:

McKelvin

Whitner

Losman

Trent

Kelsay

Bradham

Darby

Shaq

Spiller

Verdict?  Tremaine has not been unquestionably pretty good over his total career.

He's sure having a good year this year.

5 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

Would it?  Talented roster, lots of tough decisions to be made.  Thats what happens when you draft well in the salary cap era.  

You mean the cap that can easily be manipulated?

Bills can clear 60 mil for next year if they want.

It comes down if they prioritize him or not, and so far they clearly aren’t sure or else he would be locked up as his price will only Be going up .

5 minutes ago, BillsFan130 said:

You mean the cap that can easily be manipulated?

Bills can clear 60 mil for next year if they want.

It comes down if they prioritize him or not, and so far they clearly aren’t sure or else he would be locked up as his price will only Be going up .

Crazy that we might not be able to afford someone who doesn't pass the "wow nice play" test and simply doesn't flash.

1 minute ago, Jauronimo said:

Crazy that we might not be able to afford someone who doesn't pass the "wow nice play" test and simply doesn't flash.

I’m honestly not too sure where you’re getting at buddy.

Anyways, we will agree to disagree as I’m sure we can go on all day.

Appreciate the discussion with you and I hope You have a good day sir

17 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

I looked but didn't see a Tremaine Edmunds thread.  Well, one that was locked.

I was at the game and have had the benefit of no real discussion of the game.  All I knew at the game was that every time I looked, Edmunds was making another tackle.  Not always picture book, but he wasn't missing many.  And his tackles generally were near the line of scrimmage.   And he had a pass break up that nearly was intercepted. 

What is interesting about Edmunds this season is that he's making good stops in the run game, because he isn't being blocked.  The D line, I think, is making it tough for offensive linemen to get to the linebacker level, and Edmunds is able to read and react.  He's been a sure tackler, and his pas coverage last night also seemed solid.   Milano makes more spectacular plays, but I think Edmunds may have had more impact on the defense.

He's not Roquan Smith; he's not plugging gaps and making a bunch of tackles that way.   He really is protecting the whole field, laterally.  His job is make sure that the Bills bend but don't break.  

16 tackles is nothing to sneer at, even if it happened because the Packers featured the run.  Yes, the Packers had a lot of statistical success running the ball, but the Bills are willing to give them that success.   I know that sounds stupid, and McDermott would never say it, but let's face it:   This team is built to say the opponent, "We're going to put up 28 or more - we challenge you to match it."   Their defensive style very much is, "If you're going to move the ball, you're going to do it only with long, sustained drives.  If you can do that, you'll get some scores against us, but we don't think you can do that and get to 28."   And that is exactly what happened last night.   The way that kind of defensive philosophy succeeds is that you make a lot tackles (notice that the Bills often lose time of possession and often have fewer plays than the opponent, which means the Bills are making a lot tackles).  Last night, those tackles came to Edmunds.   

I don't know what I missed about his performance, and I'll be happy to hear what others thought.  

I haven’t always been the biggest fan of Edmunds but I’ve come to accept what he is at LB.  He does a great job in the passing game both in coverage and taking away passing lanes.  As a run defender he is probably average - he’s a bit inconsistent where he’ll make plays but also struggle to get off blocks.  Also prone to moss tackles from time-to-time.  

I get the polarization of the fan base though.  It’s easy to tell when Edmunds is blocked out of a player or misses a tackle.  It’s harder to noticed the ground he covers in the passing game

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BullBuchanan said:

I saw him standing around other people making plays or getting dragged down the field. Classic Edmunds.

What stood out to me....NFL.com click on the game and click on replay/ highlights. Starting at 1:56 ish. Charlie Hustle?

I'm not convinced.

Edited by nosejob

16 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Players who are unquestionably pretty good do not get talked about this much on TBD.  We don't have infinite topics on Kyle Williams, Freddy, Dawkins Tre, Allen, Milano, Poyer, Hyde, etc etc etc.

We do have infinite topics on players like:

McKelvin

Whitner

Losman

Trent

Kelsay

Bradham

Darby

Shaq

Spiller

Verdict?  Tremaine has not been unquestionably pretty good over his total career.

He's sure having a good year this year.

Gregory Rousseau

Boogie Basham

Ed Oliver

Wyatt Teller

James Cook?

What do these guys have in common? Some on TBD calling them busts...in their rookie season, no less.

There should be as many topics on Milano, if ya'll are not looking for Edmunds mistakes to pounce on. Milano had a bad 1st half last game. He even dropped another int. This one was gifted to him by Edmunds playing great defense. The problem with some here and Edmunds is that he doesn't play the way SOME here think he should. He's doing exactly what the coaches want him to do and he is leading the top defense in the NFL. More than 1 year straight.

As to the bolded, yeah there are some here that only look for the negative. We beat GB, by double digits and we see posts criticizing players not even a minute after the win. Get over yourselves. You are not better than Beane at his job. Hint: there is no team with an all pro at every position and to beat up on that player for not being an all pro is just ridiculous. I would be willing to bet some of the haters really are 💩 at their jobs and come here complaining about a pro bowl LB. You ain't no BILLS MAFIA.

#HATERSWHOSUCKATTHEIRJOBMORETHANEDMUNDS

21 minutes ago, Dopey said:

Gregory Rousseau

Boogie Basham

Ed Oliver

Wyatt Teller

James Cook?

What do these guys have in common? Some on TBD calling them busts...in their rookie season, no less.

There should be as many topics on Milano, if ya'll are not looking for Edmunds mistakes to pounce on. Milano had a bad 1st half last game. He even dropped another int. This one was gifted to him by Edmunds playing great defense. The problem with some here and Edmunds is that he doesn't play the way SOME here think he should. He's doing exactly what the coaches want him to do and he is leading the top defense in the NFL. More than 1 year straight.

As to the bolded, yeah there are some here that only look for the negative. We beat GB, by double digits and we see posts criticizing players not even a minute after the win. Get over yourselves. You are not better than Beane at his job. Hint: there is no team with an all pro at every position and to beat up on that player for not being an all pro is just ridiculous. I would be willing to bet some of the haters really are 💩 at their jobs and come here complaining about a pro bowl LB. You ain't no BILLS MAFIA.

#HATERSWHOSUCKATTHEIRJOBMORETHANEDMUNDS

LMAO there are no topics about Roussea debating how good he is. Or Boogie Basham. Or even Oliver at this point.

They all dried up.  Because they proved something.

Cook hasn't.  And Edmunds hadn't.

19 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

And his tackles generally were near the line of scrimmage.   

I'll have to watch the game again.

From recollection, it seemed like most of his tackles were 5+ yards downfield.

19 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

And he had a pass break up that nearly was intercepted. 

Should a player get credit for a PBU when they never turned around and the ball ricochet off the receivers shoulder pads?

edmudns2.png

• Vomit 1

2 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Should a player get credit for a PBU when they never turned around and the ball ricochet off the receivers shoulder pads?

edmudns2.png

First, yes, I'd say five yards is about right.  That's where he's supposed to make tackles.  He's literally a line backer.  He does not make tackles for no gain.  

In the past he often had games where a lot of tackles were after a completion.  Those tackles were beyond five yards.  But Sunday he had very few of those.  His tackles were in the run game, and they were exactly the tackles he is supposed to make. 

As for the pass break up, by all means he gets credit for a pass breakup.  He was plastered on the receiver, which is his job.  

It's interesting how much people complain about him when he's doing his job.  

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Einstein said:

edmudns2.png

Should a linebacker get credit for covering a TE 25 yards downfield and being in position to prevent a catch?  You really want to ask that question?  

12 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

He does not make tackles for no gain.  

???

Before 2022, Edmunds had 26 TFL's in 61 starts.

Before 2022, Milano had 45 TFL's in 54 starts.

They are both linebackers.

The difference is that Milano has been, from day 1, a lesser athletic specimen with better instincts.

Luckily, Tremaine is on-pace for his BEST year in TFL's, this year.  He's playing a lot better.  I wish he was playing better earlier in his career because it would be a no-brainer to pay him like it was for Milano.

Edited by FireChans

I don’t think most Bills fans have ever understood this fundamental truth about Edmunds:

The size and speed and wingspan he possesses, and thus his ability to do things like carry the inside receiver 20-30 yards deep as if he was a corner — to stay stride for stride with receivers when dropping back in Tampa 2 or cover 3 or 4 — is what makes him so valuable. That whatever he may lack in traditional run stuffing prowess, he mostly makes up for in the way he alters throwing options and throwing lanes.

Add to that his evolution as the QB and leader of this defense  and you have a player whose value is very likely under appreciated by most Bills fans.

I’ve always felt that he’s neither as good as his biggest fans think nor as bad as his biggest detractors claim. What he is is a good — not great, but good — modern NFL linebacker with a unique skill set that marries very well with what is asked of middle linebackers in the 2022 NFL.

I’d STILL like to see him make more splash plays. More forced fumbles, more interceptions. That said, I’m quite happy with his performance this year. Anyone who thinks that the Bills being the top defense in the league doesn’t have anything to do with Edmunds is being foolish, in my mind. You do t have the top defense in the league with a slouch at MLB.

45 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

First, yes, I'd say five yards is about right.  That's where he's supposed to make tackles.  He's literally a line backer.  He does not make tackles for no gain.  

In the past he often had games where a lot of tackles were after a completion.  Those tackles were beyond five yards.  But Sunday he had very few of those.  His tackles were in the run game, and they were exactly the tackles he is supposed to make. 

As for the pass break up, by all means he gets credit for a pass breakup.  He was plastered on the receiver, which is his job.  

It's interesting how much people complain about him when he's doing his job.  

Seems only fans complain about him. Starting every game (apart from injuries) since he's been here indicates the coaching staff values him highly.

He clearly has a very big responsibility in this defense that he manages well. I suppose whether or not he gets an extension depends on what the cheaper replacement options are....

53 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I guess I thought that when you said “his tackles generally were near the line of scrimmage” you meant at the line of scrimmage, but maybe you meant that 5 yards or so is near the line of scrimmage. 

53 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

We can agree to disagree on that.

Its more accurate, in my opinion, to say he got lucky. He did not even touch the ball. He wasn’t looking at the ball. The ball hit the receivers shoulder pads and bounced off.

43 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

Should a linebacker get credit for covering a TE 25 yards downfield and being in position to prevent a catch?  You really want to ask that question?  

In my opinion he gets credit for being in position to make a play, but he didn’t actually make the play. He never touched the ball. He never even saw the ball.

Edited by Einstein
  • Vomit 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.