Is There So Little Love for Tremaine Edmunds?

Shaw66

Just now, Dopey said:

He’s lined up 6 yds off the line and drops into coverage most times. Of course most of his tackles won’t be tfl. He’s not asked to do that. 
I just watched that play again and your still is deceiving. Edmunds definitely created the opportunity for an int and it was definitely a pbu.  
The still reeks of “agenda”. There’s no way you can see the play again and say it wasn’t a pbu. 

Literally no part of his body touches the ball...

I think we're all in agreement Tremaine over these last 5 years has been a dime strong safety. His job and strength is roaming the middle of the field eliminating passing lanes. This is where he gets his deflections.  I wish him the best in his quest to get a good contract. But I find it almost impossible we extend him. McB will draft a hybrid LB/SS.

44 minutes ago, Dopey said:

I said they were called busts, in their rookie seasons. Your 2nd to last paragraph makes my point for me. 

Edmunds isn't a rookie. He is in his fifth season.

Do you know why there aren't a bunch of topics talking about Rousseau's performance?  Because after a decent rookie campaign (he wasn't an All-Pro), he has played EXTREMELY well in his second season.

Do you know why Edmunds is still talked about in year 5?  Because, from years 1-4, he has been VERY up-and-down.

It's the same reason there were a bunch of topics on Josh Allen until year 2-3.  And now there aren't.  But there were a ton of topics on Tyrod his entire career in Buffalo.

Where there's smoke, there's fire.

Edited by FireChans
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

I think we're all in agreement Tremaine over these last 5 years has been a dime strong safety. His job and strength is roaming the middle of the field eliminating passing lanes. This is where he gets his deflections.  I wish him the best in his quest to get a good contract. But I find it almost impossible we extend him. McB will draft a hybrid LB/SS.

What is a hybrid LB/SS?  I mean, isn't that what Edmunds is?

13 hours ago, FireChans said:

Edmunds isn't a rookie. He is in his fifth season.

Do you know why there aren't a bunch of topics talking about Rousseau's performance?  Because after a decent rookie campaign (he wasn't an All-Pro), he has played EXTREMELY well in his second season.

Do you know why Edmunds is still talked about in year 5?  Because, from years 1-4, he has been VERY up-and-down.

It's the same reason there were a bunch of topics on Josh Allen until year 2-3.  And now there aren't.  But there were a ton of topics on Tyrod his entire career in Buffalo.

Where there's smoke, there's fire.

So, the talk stops for those you mentioned cuz they’re playing well now. Edmunds is  having a great year so far, yet still the negative posts. You’re not making as much sense as you think you are. Where there’s smoke… yeah, you’re smoking something alright. Puff puff give. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Dopey said:

So, the talk stops for those you mentioned cuz they’re playing well now. Edmunds is  having a great year so far, yet still the negative posts. You’re not making as much sense as you think you are. Where there’s smoke… yeah, you’re smoking something alright. Puff puff give. 

THERE HAVE BEEN WAY LESS NEGATIVE POSTS ABOUT EDMUNDS THIS YEAR

• Eyeroll 1

14 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

What is a hybrid LB/SS?  I mean, isn't that what Edmunds is?

Yes, that's exactly what he is but he won't be here next year because we're not paying him 14-18M/ yr to do what a rookie SS  can do for 2-3M. So we will need to find another hybrid to replace our current hybrid.

11 minutes ago, Buffalo619 said:

He’s too slow, mentally and physically to be a successful starting LB in the NFL. He constantly gets caught up in the wash and is in wrong position/gap.  He does flash occasionally but not nearly enough to warrant an extension. I’ll predict we dump him and find his replacement in free agency. 

Too slow physically? What are you talking about? 

Facts:  Edmunds is having a very good season.  It's indisputable.  

Anyone refusing to accept that just tells me you either don't know enough about football to know what you are looking at or are just more concerned about being right about your dislike than you are about being unbiased and giving him a fair review of what he is doing this season.  Its totally OK to not want to resign him still, I don't have an issue if someone doesn't want to spend a large amount of money on a player or position.  But if you are sitting saying he still sucks this year, then you are not worth discussing anything with because you are unreasonable and just stubborn on your own bias.

None of it means he will for sure be resigned because his contract and the cap are real things that will play into any decisions about him.  But he is undeniably having a very good season. 

• Agree 2

30 minutes ago, Buffalo619 said:

He’s too slow, mentally and physically to be a successful starting LB in the NFL. He constantly gets caught up in the wash and is in wrong position/gap.  He does flash occasionally but not nearly enough to warrant an extension. I’ll predict we dump him and find his replacement in free agency. 

LMAO...there are some terrible takes on here, but this is one of the worst.  Too slow physically?  He is unreal fast for his size and one of the faster LB's in the game.  I mean do you even know what number Edmunds wears because how could anyone not know this or see this on the field when he plays?  

Cant be a successful starting LB in the NFL?  The same guy that is a 2 time pro bowler, entered the season 5th in total tackles across the NFL since entering the NFL as a raw underaged player, and is on track for probably a 3rd pro bowl this year?  The guy who leads the number 1 defense in tackles every year of his career?  They guy everyone on this board says he is going to get a huge payday this offseason?  This is the guy you think cant be a successful starting LB even though he has been one his whole career?  LMAO

The absurdity of saying that he cant be a starting LB in the NFL is so beyond outrageous its like it came straight out a slapstick comedy.  He would start on the vast majority of the NFL rosters without question.

This is the kind of over the top, outrageous gross exaggeration about him that drives me nuts.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Yes, that's exactly what he is but he won't be here next year because we're not paying him 14-18M/ yr to do what a rookie SS  can do for 2-3M. So we will need to find another hybrid to replace our current hybrid.

So, you can find a 6'5" 250 pound rookie who runs a 4.5 40 and will be your signal caller as a rookie?

If you can play an oversized rookie safety in the center of the number 1 defense in the league, why doesn't every team have one of those?

19 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

This comment is spot-on. 

The Cover 2 shell the Bills play as a base defense has a hole in the middle between the safeties.  Tou need an Edmunds type to guard that hole.  Assuming he's gone next year who do we use to fill that role?  Do we have anyone on the roster? FA? Draft possibility?

It is possible to guard that hole without an Edmunds/ Urlacher type as MLB but it's more complicated and involves disgusied coverages which you can only do for so long before the disguise is recognized.

20 minutes ago, Old Coot said:

This comment is spot-on. 

The Cover 2 shell the Bills play as a base defense has a hole in the middle between the safeties.  Tou need an Edmunds type to guard that hole.  Assuming he's gone next year who do we use to fill that role?  Do we have anyone on the roster? FA? Draft possibility?

It is possible to guard that hole without an Edmunds/ Urlacher type as MLB but it's more complicated and involves disgusied coverages which you can only do for so long before the disguise is recognized.

They'll have to use another 1st round pick to get a guy with Tremaine's skill/intangibles.

Someone mentioned Trenton Simpson, which is probably a good comparison. Go ahead and read this draft profile and tell me who it reminds you of...

https://nflmocks.com/2022/11/02/ndn-what-makes-clemson-linebacker-trent-simpson-a-potential-nfl-draft-first-round-pick/

45 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

So, you can find a 6'5" 250 pound rookie who runs a 4.5 40 and will be your signal caller as a rookie?

If you can play an oversized rookie safety in the center of the number 1 defense in the league, why doesn't every team have one of those?

They do, they just don't call them a MLB.  Tremaine has played the SS position his entire career. He just happens to have the size and "Title" of a middle linebacker. Beane will find someone in the draft or bargain FA who might be 6-1/6-2 who can play that hybrid role. Maybe I'll just stop using the term hybrid and say our 2nd SS?  Do you think he gets extended?

27 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

They'll have to use another 1st round pick to get a guy with Tremaine's skill/intangibles.

Someone mentioned Trenton Simpson, which is probably a good comparison. Go ahead and read this draft profile and tell me who it reminds you of...

https://nflmocks.com/2022/11/02/ndn-what-makes-clemson-linebacker-trent-simpson-a-potential-nfl-draft-first-round-pick/

6 -3, 240, 4.39 (40).....yikes!

CBS has him currently projected #35 over-all. There you go, someone we could draft on a 5 year rookie contract who could take over for TE.  Maybe he even surprises us with some instincts at the LOS?

Trenton Simpson, remember that name.

• Like (+1) 1

I gotta say I’m not the biggest Edmunds fan, but his strengths are perfect matchups for the Chiefs and the Ravens. I really think we need to keep him. 

yeah he doesn’t make the splashy plays, but he covers up lanes and can keep a QB from making a back breaking play or a RB coming out or the backfield from ripping off a big gain

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, VaMilBill said:

I gotta say I’m not the biggest Edmunds fan, but his strengths are perfect matchups for the Chiefs and the Ravens. I really think we need to keep him. 

yeah he doesn’t make the splashy plays, but he covers up lanes and can keep a QB from making a back breaking play or a RB coming out or the backfield from ripping off a big gain

I don’t want to pile on negativity here, but what is the biggest play Edmunds has made against Mahomes and the Chiefs? In the last 5 matchups, what play has stuck out more than any other? His strengths should stand out against the Chiefs, but I think he’s easily manipulated by Mahomes.

• Agree 2

37 minutes ago, JayBaller10 said:

I don’t want to pile on negativity here, but what is the biggest play Edmunds has made against Mahomes and the Chiefs? In the last 5 matchups, what play has stuck out more than any other? His strengths should stand out against the Chiefs, but I think he’s easily manipulated by Mahomes.

Like I said, he doesn’t make splash plays. But he eats up a ton of field potentially limiting Kelce from having an even bigger day. 

But his best games have been against the Ravens. He is excellent at helping to beat the Ravens. If we lose his speed and range I’d be worried about the Ravens, specifically Lamar, shredding us

39 minutes ago, JayBaller10 said:

When most of the league is easily manipulated by Mahomes, that’s not much of a bullet point.  Much the same can be said about those that try and fail to defend against Josh Allen.  Allen & Mahomes  fake defenders out of their jocks on a regular basis. That’s what happens when you go up against guys like them. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.