With the Eagles and Chiefs making roster moves, are the Bills already good enough to stand pat?

tomur67

Yes, if a move is not going to make you better, don't make a move just to make one.

If you get OBJ, where he is going to take targets from? Gabe?  With the ability he has and the chemistry he has with Josh, I don't know how many targets I want taken away from him.  If it is just for 'depth', I'm not sure OBJ wants to come here to split time and targets.

Can you get an OL that will be MUCH better than what you have? If so go for it, but honestly, the 'addition' to this team to keep up with everyone else is going to be Tre White.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

3 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Nonsense.

Anyone who thinks the situations of those teams are very similar doesn't get it.

The Chiefs have $18M available under the cap right now, most of which will roll over onto the $11.98M they have available in 2023. And those figures include Toney. The Eagles have $10.1M available this year, which will roll over onto the $11.987M they have available for 2023. That's after picking up Quinn, not before.

Whereas the Bills have $1.6M under the cap right now, which will probably mostly roll over onto next year's figure of -$7.555, leaving us a total, post-maximum possible rollover, of about -$4.95M.

That's a big difference, as is the fact that the Bills don't have any areas of weakness as obvious as those teams did. It was a good move for both of those teams, but a lot of that is because they had bigger needs and more resources.

Quinn is older and while he appears solid he's not having an especially effective year, and Toney has been very injury-prone. Both of those moves could turn out to be good for those teams. Or not.

Where are you getting this number?  Spotrac has them at $2.9M under.

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Patrick Duffy said:

Really? You don't see KC close with the bills? I don't see how one can't

No I don't. Bills should have beaten them worse and they will have Tre if next time.

If they stay healthy there's no one that can beat this team, this season, but themselves.

Maybe OL help or depth at TE and RB. Maybe a veteran S on a 1 year deal? I'd say the OL is still our biggest weakness. I don't see OBJ coming here unless there is an injury and he is the replacement. Just don't give up any serious draft capital at this point.

6 hours ago, LyndonvilleBill said:

Ereck Flowers (FA), Daryl Williams (FA), Risner (Denver), As you've said AJ Cann (Texans). I am sure there may be others. Maybe even a couple on PS's that may be better depth options? 

I am genuinely perplexed as to why Daryl Williams is not in the league. O-line play in the league is horrid and D.Williams was excellent in 2020 and when he kicked inside to guard in 2021 he was at least a starting caliber player or better. Is his heart just not in the game or did he suffer an unknown injury or was his salary demands just way too much?

If I were McBeane (and thankfully I am not) I would see if Kromer likes either Flowers or Williams as depth? Other than that I don't see any other O-line options out on the free agency market. Via trade it is even harder but I have to think if something fits they will try to add a piece even if it is just suring up depth

• Like (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

I am genuinely perplexed as to why Daryl Williams is not in the league. O-line play in the league is horrid and D.Williams was excellent in 2020 and when he kicked inside to guard in 2021 he was at least a starting caliber player or better. Is his heart just not in the game or did he suffer an unknown injury or was his salary demands just way too much?

If I were McBeane (and thankfully I am not) I would see if Kromer likes either Flowers or Williams as depth? Other than that I don't see any other O-line options out on the free agency market. Via trade it is even harder but I have to think if something fits they will try to add a piece even if it is just suring up depth

I see he has made $22 million in his career … so maybe he has the bulk of this invested and is content to enjoy life ? Perhaps he hasn’t kept in shape since he left the Bills…

He seemed a quiet guy the one time I saw him interviewed… maybe he has had enough and wants to spend time with his family,,,

• Like (+1) 3

On 10/28/2022 at 1:51 AM, NewEra said:

This is such nonsense.  Motor isn’t a superstar but he’s not the reason our RB run game is stagnant.  

Let me guess,  its the line fault that he misses holes.  Sorry but Bills have been trying to correct the RB position for past 3 seasons.  I guarantee Singletary will not be on this team next season

On 10/28/2022 at 12:24 PM, The Firebaugh Kid said:

ODB. Oops, sorry, I meant OBJ. 

He's coming. 

Trust Von. 

Fire, I’ve commented in other threads, I agree the Bills are actively working on it, and Im sure Von is rallying key players on the team to reach out to OBJ, namely a guy who wears the #17 number.  It makes sense.  It’s not a draft trade as he’s a FA, he wouldn’t play until Thanksgiving or December games.  December is really to get him comfortable with Allen and vise versa.  He won’t cost much as he’s lobbying the rest of the NFL for a higher end contract next year or two.

He helped the Rams a great deal last year in their run for the SB. I don’t want to extend draft trade offers as we need these picks for depth next year.  We can always benefit from another 1-2  OL (Interior), and Safety.  We also need cheap labor as Allen, and others extensions will start ramping up.  We have the cap blowing up steadily for the next several years, but it’s how Beane keeps all the balls in the air and times these extensions.  I really hope we don’t waste pics on other players.  If we want a different depth RB (I’m not saying we need a chat from Motor as he’s doing fine), and they are still reticent to place Cook on the field much as they don’t trust him yet, we have Duke on the PS.

On 10/27/2022 at 3:50 PM, tomur67 said:

Are there any glaring weaknesses that need to be addressed for the Bills to make the run for the Super Bowl? 

I think the real question is with the recent additions by the Eagles and Chiefs, have they caught up to the Bills taken level? Bc let's be real, that why they both added players, to try to close the gap with us. 

1 hour ago, Niagara Dude said:

Let me guess,  its the line fault that he misses holes.  Sorry but Bills have been trying to correct the RB position for past 3 seasons.  I guarantee Singletary will not be on this team next season

I agree, he won’t be on this team next year.

He’s not special but your exaggerating his ineffectiveness.  

He’s so bad, that his career ypc is 4.7- always running behind a sub par run blocking line.  

Christian Mccaffery 4.6

kareem hunt 4.6

saquon barkley 4.6

alvin Kamara 4.6

Austin ekeler 4.6

Josh Jacobs 4.4

Derrick Henry is 4.8 a whole .1 better

keep making up nonsense 

• Like (+1) 1

23 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

I see he has made $22 million in his career … so maybe he has the bulk of this invested and is content to enjoy life ? Perhaps he hasn’t kept in shape since he left the Bills…

He seemed a quiet guy the one time I saw him interviewed… maybe he has had enough and wants to spend time with his family,,,

If that were the case then wouldn't he just file retirement papers? I wouldn't hold it against him if he just called it a career, he had a really good career all things considered. He has played in 9 playoff games including a Super Bowl with the Panthers (Williams played in 4 playoff games with the Panthers and 5 with the Bills). As you said he made 22 million in his career and was a second team All-Pro in 2017 so there certainly was some nice individual achievements too. 

But if he just wants to ride off into the sunset why then not just formally retire? That's what puzzles me about it. If he is interested in playing why isn't he signed to a team he can probably start for at least 12-16 NFL teams and would be the best or among the best backups on any O-line in the league? 

My personal theory is that he would be interested in playing but only for the right price and while teams may want to sign him maybe no one wants to match his price? 

31 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

If that were the case then wouldn't he just file retirement papers? I wouldn't hold it against him if he just called it a career, he had a really good career all things considered. He has played in 9 playoff games including a Super Bowl with the Panthers (Williams played in 4 playoff games with the Panthers and 5 with the Bills). As you said he made 22 million in his career and was a second team All-Pro in 2017 so there certainly was some nice individual achievements too. 

But if he just wants to ride off into the sunset why then not just formally retire? That's what puzzles me about it. If he is interested in playing why isn't he signed to a team he can probably start for at least 12-16 NFL teams and would be the best or among the best backups on any O-line in the league? 

My personal theory is that he would be interested in playing but only for the right price and while teams may want to sign him maybe no one wants to match his price? 

I note there are still recent articles about him like this one being a potential FA fit somewhere so perhaps you are right… he is still available , and he is just waiting for a team to come up with his required dollars…if this is the case … I doubt it will be Beane given our lack of cash 

He has recently turned  30 so he still might be able to come back next year even not playing at all in 2022.. 

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10053309-5-nfl-free-agents-who-could-help-fuel-2022-playoff-runs

14 hours ago, NewEra said:

He’s so bad, that his career ypc is 4.7- always running behind a sub par run blocking line.  

Christian Mccaffery 4.6

kareem hunt 4.6

saquon barkley 4.6

alvin Kamara 4.6

Austin ekeler 4.6

Josh Jacobs 4.4

keep making up nonsense 

You need to watch the games and not garbage stats,  did you watch both the KC playoff game last season and KC game this season when the team needed a 3td and short and Singletary missed the hole

The bills are asking teams about RB'S (CM & KAMARA/HUNT/GIBSON) because they know its an area of weakness,  just glad there not going off your stats 

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Niagara Dude said:

You need to watch the games and not garbage stats,  did you watch both the KC playoff game last season and KC game this season when the team needed a 3td and short and Singletary missed the hole

The bills are asking teams about RB'S (CM & KAMARA/HUNT/GIBSON) because they know its an area of weakness,  just glad there not going off your stats 

I watch games.  Thanks for the advice though. 

Motor isn’t keeping us from winning a super bowl.  He’s better than you think.  Sure, there are better RBs out there…. But we can win the super bowl with him.  We can also keep future draft picks to help build the foundation for the future.

If they don’t pull the trigger on a Rb trade then they obviously feel they can win the SB with Motor.  If they didn’t, they would make a trade.  There is no doubt.  Winning the SB is the only goal this year.  

like I’ve said before, I wouldn’t hate spending a low rd pick on a trade for a back- but not because motor isn’t good enough.  Rather insurance in case he is hurt.  

Do we have to double down and trade future assets to win this year?  No, but it will better our chances.  Can we win with the current team?  Yes, but trading for a Rb could better our chances.  The price to pay will determine whether or not we land someone.  

32 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Motor isn’t keeping us from winning a super bowl.  He’s better than you think.  Sure, there are better RBs out there…. But we can win the super bowl with him.  We can also keep future draft picks to help build the foundation for the future.

If they don’t pull the trigger on a Rb trade then they obviously feel they can win the SB with Motor.  If they didn’t, they would make a trade.  There is no doubt.  Winning the SB is the only goal this year.  

like I’ve said before, I wouldn’t hate spending a low rd pick on a trade for a back- but not because motor isn’t good enough.  Rather insurance in case he is hurt.  

Do we have to double down and trade future assets to win this year?  No, but it will better our chances.  Can we win with the current team?  Yes, but trading for a Rb could better our chances.  The price to pay will determine whether or not we land someone.  

Without a true threat teams are going to continue to play safeties back and LB'S away from the line because they know the Bills do not have a RB that can makes explosive plays.  You do realize the Bills drafted Moss in the 3rd round because they had no confidence Singletary.  As we all know , the weather gets bad in Dec/ January and you need a RB especially when those winds start going crazy.  It also give our cordinator a chance to avoid calling Allen runs to keep defences honest.

I think getting a Gibson or Hunt would be a game changer and would save Josh from taking all these hits. Even Jacobs from the Raiders would be a good choice.  Singletary is to slow (4.65) forty and has no burst to the line,  he is more suited to be a back up.  

As for giving up picks,  there is no guarantee on 3rd & 4th rounders the Bills choose.  Get a starting level RB who can provide explosive runs/plays and that really improves out offence. Gibson would be my choice because he is signed into next season for less then 2 million, he runs a 4.39 forty and is a excellent pass catcher and explosive play runner, I would settle for either Hunt or Jacobs. I believe you trade out Moss and pick,  

Moss is pretty much useless for this team right now.

22 minutes ago, Floydboy12 said:

Raiders are losing again today. They may be ready to part with Jacobs and he has mileage left in him. I would much prefer him to Hunt. 

I’d be all for Jacobs, I think he’s the exact type they need.  Hunt has talent, but I honestly think people remember what he did in KC and think he is that good still and he hasn’t flashed that in YEARS. 

The Chiefs are a concern.  The Eagles are not. I have been watching them and they are a very good team but not in the league of the Bills or Chiefs.  I think the Bills will be fine as long as they get the #1 seed.  I would be a little concerned if the Chiefs got an edge rusher.  

46 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

I’d be all for Jacobs, I think he’s the exact type they need.  Hunt has talent, but I honestly think people remember what he did in KC and think he is that good still and he hasn’t flashed that in YEARS. 

Jacobs can finish runs and already gashed the Chiefs this season,  he can also make catches out of the backfield.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Niagara Dude said:

Without a true threat teams are going to continue to play safeties back and LB'S away from the line because they know the Bills do not have a RB that can makes explosive plays.  You do realize the Bills drafted Moss in the 3rd round because they had no confidence Singletary.  As we all know , the weather gets bad in Dec/ January and you need a RB especially when those winds start going crazy.  It also give our cordinator a chance to avoid calling Allen runs to keep defences honest.

I think getting a Gibson or Hunt would be a game changer and would save Josh from taking all these hits. Even Jacobs from the Raiders would be a good choice.  Singletary is to slow (4.65) forty and has no burst to the line,  he is more suited to be a back up.  

As for giving up picks,  there is no guarantee on 3rd & 4th rounders the Bills choose.  Get a starting level RB who can provide explosive runs/plays and that really improves out offence. Gibson would be my choice because he is signed into next season for less then 2 million, he runs a 4.39 forty and is a excellent pass catcher and explosive play runner, I would settle for either Hunt or Jacobs. I believe you trade out Moss and pick,  

Yeah…:because only teams with great running backs win Super Bowls. Stop with your absolute nonsense.  

We are trying to win a super bowl.  Having a star RB isn’t necessary.  It wasn’t necessary for Eli manning to win a super bowl.  It wasn’t necessary for Nick Foles to win a Super bowl.  It wasn’t necessary for Patrick Mahomes to win a super bowl,  it’s not necessary for Josh Allen to win a super bowl.  

meanwhile—— our RB is so bad that opposing defenses have been able to key on our pass game so hard that our passing game has struggled to the tune of being the best passing offense in football.  

Yes, upgrading our starting Rb would improve our offense.  So would upgrading our QB, WR, TE, LT, LG, RG, RT, C or FB.  Adding better players will usually improve your team.  Duh.

but it’s not necessary to win a SB

47 minutes ago, NickelCity said:

Would absolutely love Jacobs on this roster. We've talked about him for a few weeks, but do we know if he's a realistic trade option? 

He's in a contract year, and with the Raiders losing today they may start looking to next season. It's possible he becomes the highest paid RB in the league next year.

With all of that in mind, the raiders may want to consider moving him, unless McDaniels is prepared to make a case that they can reload and compete for a Super Bowl after possibly finishing at the bottom of the league.They have an out with Carr after this year. They could choose to use that to bring in a guy like Jimmy G, Tom Brady, etc which would make keeping Jacobs more palatable, but if they go the rookie QB route, I'd expect not.

I don't know if the Bills are going to make a move, or if there is a move out there, but if the Eagles or Chiefs beat the Bills in the playoffs we are going to never stop hearing how the Eagles or Chiefs went all in and the Bills did not. Not fair, but that is what they are going to be saying. 

Edited by Bills2022

On 10/27/2022 at 3:58 PM, Rigotz said:

Here me out.

Chrischen McCafrey. Mach the 49ers offer and then double it.

Pretty sure the 9ers are pretty darn happy with the trade 

5 minutes ago, Bills2022 said:

I don't know if the Bills are going to make a move, or if there is a move out there, but if the Eagles or Chiefs beat the Bills in the playoffs we are going to never stop hearing how the Eagles or Chiefs went all in and the Bills did not. Not fair, but that is what they are going to be saying. 

I think it will be pretty fair IF GOD FORBID that does happen !!! 

• Like (+1) 1

20 hours ago, NewEra said:

Christian Mccaffery 4.6

kareem hunt 4.6

saquon barkley 4.6

alvin Kamara 4.6

Austin ekeler 4.6

Josh Jacobs 4.4

keep making up nonsense 

Averaging that in a pass first offense with high safety, is not the same as playing defenses that can respect the run game and are all in more balanced offenses.

Swap motor with any one of those teams, who do you think is more effective?

Motor in sf, TN, cle, Vegas, LA chargers.... which one of those teams do you see his numbers improving at? (It's none of them)

5 hours ago, NewEra said:

it’s not a can they or not. 

they can. 

its a matter of does it move their odds from 20% to 25% as even that is huge 

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

it’s not a can they or not. 

they can. 

its a matter of does it move their odds from 20% to 25% as even that is huge 

as it is with every team in the league.  It’s all about the price.  Beane knows what he wants to spend and if the price is too high (as it was with mccaffery) Beane won’t pay it.  He’s not going to overpay.  I’m happy about that.  It’s possible to win the Super Bowl and not mortgage an overpay of assets.  If the price is right….I think he’ll pull the trigger.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Yep… I’d happily agree with them trading future assets(even big assets) if it’s for the right playmaker that increases their SB victory odds even greater. 

I don’t disagree.  For Beane, it’s all about the price.  He sets his trade budget and sticks to it.  

Would you have been happy trading a 3rd and 6th for Toney? 

• Like (+1) 2

On 10/27/2022 at 5:32 PM, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Right now the media is talking about all sorts of stuff - DE Josh Allen, Kareem Hunt, Chase Claypool. 

I think Odell Beckham might be the best move because of the cap, he's a rental, and there is no assets to give. 

As soon as the report came out that the Steelers view McCaffrey's deal as the starter template for any Claypool trade, my opinion is I'm out on that. 

Hunt, if he was a late-round pick and you could fit him, then I think he could be good on this team. 

And DE Josh Allen? What are the Jags going to want for him, and he joins the rotation probably behind Miller and Rousseau. Feels redundant. 

I'm wondering if the Bills don't try something at Safety to replace Hyde, or if 65.5 Damar Hamlin on PFF is "good enough". 

I also agree with other posters, a quality offensive lineman could really be used as well. 

A DL would not shock me (not our biggest need), but may be the only available piece cost wise (picks and cap), and we value getting to the other teams’s QB. 

4 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I don’t disagree.  For Beane, it’s all about the price.  He sets his trade budget and sticks to it.  

depends what Toney shows up.  Guy is a complete mystery.  

4 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

A DL would not shock me (not our biggest need), but may be the only available piece cost wise (picks and cap), and we value getting to the other teams’s QB. 

depends what Toney shows up.  Guy is a complete mystery.  

Yeah….but you can’t make trades in hindsight.  

I’d love to add a WR for a 3rd rd pick if the player is worth it.  The Toney trade is too high risk high reward for me. They might get absolutely nothing out of that 3rd rd pick if the wrong Toney shows up.  

• Agree 1

Just now, NewEra said:

Yeah….but you can’t make trades in hindsight.  

I’d love to add a WR for a 3rd rd pick if the player is worth it.  The Toney trade is too high risk high reward for me. They might get absolutely nothing out of that 3rd rd pick if the wrong Toney shows up.  

def a gamble.  I thought I read the 3rd is “conditional” but not sure?

Odd that Kc did this because they generally draft well like Bean.  

5 hours ago, Niagara Dude said:

Hunt has been hasn't been good this year behind the best OL in the league. He'd be even worse here. 

Everyone keeps talking about defenses keeping their safeties and linebackers back, yet we have the #1 passing offense in the league with Josh either #1 or #2 in most statistical categories. It hasn't prevented us hitting a ton of big plays in the passing  game either. We have one of the best big pass play offenses in the league.

6 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I wouldn't want Toney at all.  Bad attitude and doesn't seem to have a good work ethic from what I've seen.

Sometimes I think Bills fans are like a kid that just got an allowance, and the money is burning a hole in their pocket.  Don't know what they want to spend it on, but they have to buy something.

If it's a legit player who makes sense to Beane, I'm all for it, but it's like some people want to get somebody just for the sake of saying we made a move.

I don't get it.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.