Adding a RB

Stokes84

We're going to stick with our current RB core. There will be no trades. We need those picks for OL and Defense.

We don't have enough money to chase RB Saquon Barkley during the Summer because we have to sign WR Gabe Davis. I bring up Saquon Barkley because Josh Allen likes him.

I'm intrigued about CB James Bradberry though, but we don't have enough money to sign him either.

Edited by Buffalo Ballin

12 minutes ago, FireChans said:

That you have an unhealthy obsession with hating Daboll and I'm here to help you.

The first step is admitting you have a problem lol

Except I don’t hate Daboll.  So once again, you don’t know what you’re talking about.  

On 10/21/2022 at 12:49 PM, Eastport bills said:

I can’t disagree with your assessment but in fairness to Moss and Cook, they’re not getting a lot of touches.

agree.  hard to tell why not.  Moss has been inconsistent but perhaps needs consistent carries?  

7 hours ago, Buffalo Ballin said:

We're going to stick with our current RB core. There will be no trades. We need those picks for OL and Defense.

We don't have enough money to chase RB Saquon Barkley during the Summer because we have to sign WR Gabe Davis. I bring up Saquon Barkley because Josh Allen likes him.

I'm intrigued about CB James Bradberry though, but we don't have enough money to sign him either.

Please take a listen to locked on Bills, Friday’s episode (I think) will help you sleep better.

Monday morning I’m calling SF, I want 6’ 212 pound Jeff Wilson Jr, through 6 games he has 400 yards rushing and just lost his starting spot to CMC.  I think a 4th should do it.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, RyanC883 said:

agree.  hard to tell why not.  Moss has been inconsistent but perhaps needs consistent carries?  

If only the brain trust listened to us. I really believe Moss has ability. Motor has been great, but we need a between the tackles bruiser and Moss could be that guy. The thing that keeps him buried is that Josh is a freak and finds a way. I guess that’s a good thing.

17 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

What game do you watch where RB's run for "a lot more" than 4.7 yards per carry that Singletary has for his career? 

Jonathon Taylor and Nick Chubb are the absolute best in the business and are career 5.1 and 5.4 yard per carry RB's.

When teams face Taylor and Chubb they are specifically trying to stop them. When teams face Singletary they concede his yards. This passing game combined with a top tier RB would be unstoppable. But I don't even need a top tier RB. I would accept a RB that occasionally rushes into the endzone. I see 30+ yard rushing TDs several times a week. The way that defenses play us those kinds of opportunities should be available. Singletary takes what the defensive scheme and run blocking gives him and has enough contact balance to fall forward for an extra couple of yards. But he doesn't create explosive plays and TDs. Throw whatever efficiency stats at me that you want, I'm not satisfied with his 0 rushing TDs through 6 games. I'm not satisfied that we only have 20+ yard rushing plays from our RBs when the opposing defense makes a big mistake.

9 hours ago, Buffalo Ballin said:

What makes you think an undefeated Eagles team would have any motivation to deal Bradberry? He’s been rock solid for them.

On 10/21/2022 at 9:24 AM, Big Turk said:

What is the obsession with adding RBs when Singletary is playing perfectly fine?  Is this like a Fred Jackson thing?  Every year there is someone they are trying to replace him with?

I don't think the obsession is replacing Singletary. At least for me, the idea of adding CMC was never about not playing Singletary. It's about having more than just 1 RB we rely on.

Singletary isn't going to be on the field every down. And while he's not a bad RB, he doesn't strike fear in anyone. And God forbid he get hurt, we're nowhere. James Cook needs more time to acclimate to the game than I was expecting. And Zack Moss is not good.

Singletary plus another Singletary level RB or better would help immensely.

On 10/21/2022 at 9:21 AM, Stokes84 said:

Now that McCaffrey is off the market, I think it’s time to get serious about adding a RB.  A lot of people think it’s about replacing or upgrading Singletary, but to me, it’s about making sure we have the horses to win a game like we lost vs. New England last year. If we lose in the playoffs because the wind is gusting 50 mph in January and we can’t pass the ball, we are going to be kicking ourselves for not bolstering this position.  

A couple of options that might be worth exploring:

Antonio Gibson

David Montgomery

James Robinson

I think each could be available for a mid-round pick, and imo it would be totally worth it.

They're a dime a dozen you can get a good one anywhere i mean Moss is a awesome RB it literally takes little to no talent as long as you have a good O line hell i could play running back of them just ask the experts here that's pretty much what they tell me .

I mean minus the part about me being a RB of the Bills that was a BS statement but i've been told it's all about the O line little to d with the back .

9 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

We still have Duke Johnson sitting down on the practice squad who I still maintain is better than Moss

Agree 100% !!! 
He actually played well last year behind that horrible Miami OL , and he’s a better receiver out of the backfield then Moss . 

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

When teams face Taylor and Chubb they are specifically trying to stop them. When teams face Singletary they concede his yards. This passing game combined with a top tier RB would be unstoppable. But I don't even need a top tier RB. I would accept a RB that occasionally rushes into the endzone. I see 30+ yard rushing TDs several times a week. The way that defenses play us those kinds of opportunities should be available. Singletary takes what the defensive scheme and run blocking gives him and has enough contact balance to fall forward for an extra couple of yards. But he doesn't create explosive plays and TDs. Throw whatever efficiency stats at me that you want, I'm not satisfied with his 0 rushing TDs through 6 games. I'm not satisfied that we only have 20+ yard rushing plays from our RBs when the opposing defense makes a big mistake.

Singletary has always been a tremendous "yards after contact" RB.    Suggesting that he only gets what the defense gives him is being quite contradictory to that fact.   

5 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Very fair post. No doubt the Bills RBs can't score TDs.  It will be more problematic in the playoffs. When Singletary touches the ball I hardly ever feel like he's going to break one. So I guess that puts me in the lack of explosiveness. With that said, Singletary isn't bad. He has a great rapport with Allen. Nothing wrong with taking what the defense gives you. The KC game was a good example of that. I'd be happy with that kind of running production every game. Remember, the Bills are a passing team with quick explosive big plays. 1st in the league I believe in big plays TDs.  It's pretty hard to be so explosive in the running game and passing game both. I don't know one team that can claim that. Maybe we fans are asking for a little too much? 

Edited by newcam2012

7 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

Very fair post. No doubt the Bills RBs can't score TDs.  It will be more problematic in the playoffs. When Singletary touches the ball I hardly ever feel like he's going to break one. So I guess that puts me ib the lack of explosiveness. With that said, Singletary isn't bad. He has a great report with Allen. Nothing wrong with taking what the defense gives you. The KC game was a good example of that. I'd be happy with that kind of running production every game. Remember, the Bills are a passing team with quick explosive big plays. 1st in the league I believe in big plays TDs.  It's pretty hard to be so explosive in the running game and passing game both. I don't know one team that can claim that. Maybe we fans are asking for a little too much? 

Vikings?? 

This guy is a little annoying to listen to and this video is a compilation of just Cooks touches but Im posting it so some of you can see how bad this line really is.  Cook makes a few mistakes but by and large you can clearly see that our o line is just terrible at run blocking.  Adding a running back isnt going to do crap.  Our running backs are fine. They are just as good as any non elite back around the league that does well behind a line that can block.  Some of you guys really need to open your eye balls.  Even elite backs would struggle behind this garbage.

Edited by Scott7975

4 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

This guy is a little annoying to listen to and this video is a compilation of just Cooks touches but Im posting it so some of you can see how bad this line really is.  Cook makes a few mistakes but by and large you can clearly see that our o line is just terrible at run blocking.  Adding a running back isnt going to do crap.  Our running backs are fine. They are just as good as any non elite back around the league that does well behind a line that can block.  Some of you guys really need to open your eye balls.  Even elite backs would struggle behind this garbage.

I think the Bills oline is much better pass protecting. The stats bare this out. This oline often struggles with openIng up holes especially in short yard and goal line situations. The Bills strength is passing the ball. Like I said earlier, show me a team that is elite both passing and running. It's just a rare combination. I think the Bills don't need to be a great running team. Just serviceable and respectful to keep defenses honest. Refer to the KC team. Singletary ran well. Sure much of it was due to the defensive scheme. Nevertheless, it was a positive running performance by the Bills. I don't think the running game will be the strength of this offense for a long time. This is Allen's team and that big arm and timely runs are becoming commonplace. Boy are we getting applied!

Fast forward to the playoffs. This is where a more effective run game becomes more critical. Teams are better and it becomes more difficult for Allen. The Bills need to be a little more balanced and keep defenses honest. However, Allen can absolutely carry this team and the pass game is elite and explosive.

In summary, I think the Singletary is pretty good. I don't think we need an upgrade there. Moss is just not good. Cook is the wild card sort of speak. Hope he can develop and be a weapon come playoff time. This far, he has disappointed. Wondering if some point Duke Johnson gets a shot. Kind of hate that Blackshear got snatched from the Bills. 

Edited by newcam2012
  • Agree 1

On 10/21/2022 at 9:21 AM, Stokes84 said:

Now that McCaffrey is off the market, I think it’s time to get serious about adding a RB.  A lot of people think it’s about replacing or upgrading Singletary, but to me, it’s about making sure we have the horses to win a game like we lost vs. New England last year. If we lose in the playoffs because the wind is gusting 50 mph in January and we can’t pass the ball, we are going to be kicking ourselves for not bolstering this position.  

Antonio Gibson

David Montgomery

James Robinson

I think each could be available for a mid-round pick, and imo it would be totally worth it.

why do you think these players are available for a mid round pick ?   

whose your source ? 

On 10/21/2022 at 6:21 AM, Stokes84 said:

Antonio Gibson

David Montgomery

James Robinson

I wouldn't mind adding an RB and not to replace Singletary but like you said if it's a snow bowl in the playoffs it wouldn't be the worst idea to have a bruiser to pair with Singletary. A big boy running down hill when it's 5 degrees in the 4th quarter would be nice.

6 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

I think the Bills oline is much better pass protecting. The stats bare this out. This oline often struggles with openIng up holes especially in short yard and goal line situations. The Bills strength is passing the ball. Like I said earlier, show me a team that is elite both passing and running. It's just a rare combination. I think the Bills don't need to be a great running team. Just serviceable and respectful to keep defenses honest. Refer to the KC team. Singletary ran well. Sure much of it was due to the defensive scheme. Nevertheless, it was a positive running performance by the Bills. I don't think the running game will be the strength of this offense for a long time. This is Allen's team and that big arm and timely runs are becoming commonplace. Boy are we getting applied!

Fast forward to the playoffs. This is where a more effective run game becomes more critical. Teams are better and it becomes more difficult for Allen. The Bills need to be a little more balanced and keep defenses honest. However, Allen can absolutely carry this team and the pass game is elite and explosive.

In summary, I think the Singletary is pretty good. I don't think we need an upgrade there. Moss is just not good. Cook is the wild card sort of speak. Hope he can develop and be a weapon come playoff time. This far, he has disappointed. Wondering if some point Duke Johnson gets a shot. Kind of hate that Blackshear got snatched from the Bills. 

I agree.  Just need a respectable running game. An elite back is not what this team needs to get there.  What they need is better run blocking.  No name back across the league do well because their line allows them to do well, not because they are better than Singletary or Cook.  Moss I hope never sees the field again.  He just isnt that good. Although even he could do ok if the line blocked better. He isnt a break even one tackle guy really. Cook I think will be good but its too early to say with so little work.

I would add that this line is pretty good at pass blocking but it has its moments of utter whiffs as well.  They need to be better on those whiffs.

Edited by Scott7975
  • Agree 1

On 10/21/2022 at 9:25 AM, Stokes84 said:

And if you run Singletary into the ground you are still screwed, because he’s the only competent RB on the roster.

It’s like you didn’t read my post at all.

You make a valid and important point.  It’s happened once so it could happen again. Motor is adequate, above average , but look at backs or teams who can covert short yardage or in the red zone. We could use a hall or walker type back who can get yardage o. Their own ( like Josh ) , and motor has proven he is not strong against heavy boxes.   It’s our only obvious weakness and if we have hoe field in Jan / feb , it’s reasonable to expect passing might be a challenge. Plus , if we do have a lead , milking the clock is hard to do passing the ball. I don’t think it’s the line play , watching other games some teams have backs with a knack for shir yardage gains against stacked boxes or they have that gear to take it to the house. Maybe Cook can be the guy.  I hope so , but your point is valid and on the edge of a SB run , zi hope we have done all we can do and our run game isn’t our Achilles heel. 

10 hours ago, pigpen65 said:

It's a shame Moss hasn't improved at all. Had Blackshear survived on the practice squad I think he would have been promoted to active roster a couple weeks ago 

Blackshear had 2 carries for negative 5 yards today. I don't like to get carried away and start to compare players, but those are Reggie Bush type numbers.

11 hours ago, Solomon Grundy said:

The analyst laid out his position. I’m just the guy dreaming.

E0A258A9-312B-4D6A-8603-1EE294063A66.gif.0dbbc32e1e10ae3a2b048941d3556a9e.gif

You mean this when they were 4-1?

It would be difficult for the 4-1 Giants to trade Barkley, who has rushed for 533 yards as the focal point of their offense this season.

Now at 6-1, I would suggest the fans would burn down the stadium if they trade him...

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.