Hot take: Shakir should be the starting slot receiver going forward

Logic

I know, I know -- it's early, and you'll say I'm jumping the gun.

I don't care. I've seen enough: Khalil Shakir should be the starting slot receiver going forward, even when McKenzie and Crowder return to full health.

At the very least, he should be splitting reps with McKenzie and seeing more playing time than Jamison Crowder.

He runs great routes. He constantly seems to get open. He has relatively sure hands (one bad concentration drop yesterday not withstanding). He offers run-after-catch ability that this offense often lacks. He has the frame and build to withstand the tough over-the-middle work. 

Aside from all of that, he just passes the eyeball test in a way that the Bills' other two slot options do not. Frankly, he looks like a star in the making.

I love McKenzie as a player and am glad he's on the roster, but has he looked like a dynamic full time slot option to anyone over the first four games? He hasn't looked that way to me. I like Crowder, too. He's a solid, dependable veteran depth option. Again, though: he doesn't seem to pop off the screen the way Shakir was.

I have figured all along that Shakir would be brought along slowly, that he'd be more of a contender for starting duties in 2023 or 2024. Given McDermott's M.O., that still may happen. I don't think it should, though. I've seen enough. He's the best option to start in the slot. The coaches always preach getting the best players on the field, regardless of tenure or pedigree. If they're true to their word, Shakir should start seeing more opportunities. I hope he does.

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 17
  • Agree 20
  • Awesome! (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Logic said:

I don't care. I've seen enough: Khalil Shakir should be the starting slot receiver going forward, even when McKenzie and Crowder return to full health.

At the very least, he should be splitting reps with McKenzie and seeing more playing time than Jamison Crowder.

Er....did you miss that Jamison Crowder just went on IR with a broken foot?

So it's a damned sure bet that Shakir will see more time than Jamison Crowder going forward.  Shakir is ahead of Hodgins on the depth chart and will get snaps going forward.

I think he did well, and likely earned himself at least a split in time with McKenzie.  He seems to be picking up the blocking, which is a huge step.  McKenzie is a willing blocker but you can't coach F = ma or height/reach and McKenzie is lacking in the m component there as well as the height/reach.

The drop, and 3 receptions on 5 targets against backup DBs don't anoint Shakir as the starter.  Put against that he looked a bit lost vs. Tennessee and got blanked. 

McKenzie may be in McDermott's Doghouse though, for his show where he said all the stuff about being unable to move and etc. which I'm sure led to him being ruled out this week.  I swear that guy is his own worst enemy.

• Like (+1) 3

9 minutes ago, Logic said:

He runs great routes. He constantly seems to get open. He has relatively sure hands (one bad concentration drop yesterday not withstanding). He offers run-after-catch ability that this offense often lacks. He has the frame and build to withstand the tough over-the-middle work. 

Aside from all of that, he just passes the eyeball test in a way that the Bills' other two slot options do not. Frankly, he looks like a star in the making.

I love McKenzie as a player and am glad he's on the roster, but has he looked like a dynamic full time slot option to anyone over the first four games? He hasn't looked that way to me. I like Crowder, too. He's a solid, dependable veteran depth option. Again, though: he doesn't seem to pop off the screen the way Shakir was.

I have figured all along that Shakir would be brought along slowly, that he'd be more of a contender for starting duties in 2023 or 2024. Given McDermott's M.O., that still may happen. I don't think it should, though. I've seen enough. He's the best option to start in the slot. The coaches always preach getting the best players on the field, regardless of tenure or pedigree. If they're true to their word, Shakir should start seeing more opportunities. I hope he does.

Like Gabe Davis, you saw his ability to separate from the first preseason game. 

It has translated against the starters. 

If the Bills are finally in the mind-set of Super Bowl or nothing, then I agree, no more holding players back just because they are young so that worn out veterans can play. Nothing against Jamison Crowder, but that's why his injury was a blessing in disguise, it took away the excuses. 

Diggs and Davis never come off the field, but I agree that Shakir can now rotate in with McKenzie, pushing Kumerow down the depth chart, and he's a good WR in his own right. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

I'm not going to just bench Mckenzie forever - its a fluid spot as it was before.  Some games it might be a shakir, others mckenzie.  

It's likely to be both, splitting snaps, the way Crowder and McKenzie did.  The exact split will shift from game to game and depend upon the savvy Shakir demonstrates at filling Crowder's "find the gaps in the zone" role.

• Like (+1) 1

If he continues to improve on his oportunities than I can see the position shifting to him being starting slot.

I will say, he got out of the gate slowly this season but he is a rookie, I noticed yesterday when running back a punt (maybe a kick) return he looked a little loose holding the ball extended away from his body while running. Then there was the easy catch that he dropped, SO he still has some thing to improve upon... 

But like I said, it will come down to how he handles his opporunities moving forward. If he continues to improve, limit mistakes,  he plays more snaps

• Agree 1

Just now, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Like Gabe Davis, you saw his ability to separate from the first preseason game. 

It has translated against the starters. 

If the Bills are finally in the mind-set of Super Bowl or nothing, then I agree, no more holding players back just because they are young so that worn out veterans can play. Nothing against Jamison Crowder, but that's why his injury was a blessing in disguise, it took away the excuses. 

Diggs and Davis never come off the field, but I agree that Shakir can now rotate in with McKenzie, pushing Kumerow down the depth chart, and he's a good WR in his own right. 

Actually, one of the changes this season is that Diggs DOES come off the field, regularly, and before the starters come out.  Part of it is that (I think) Dorsey is running more (2,1) (1,2) and even (2,2) personnel packages.  More of it is that they seem to be systematically giving Diggs some breathers to keep himself fresh.  The Ravens game was an outlier so far. 

Davis has had a higher snap count than Diggs because he blocks.

Shakir looks versatile and can rotate in and sub for any of the three (McKenzie, Davis, Diggs).  Whether Shakir "starts" is not important.  He will play and he will get targets. I like the possibility that we can move him around.  He will make plays.  

Not sure we are going to see much of Crowder with his injury.  Kumerow will go back to ST mostly.  

Edited by Bob in STL
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, ddaryl said:

If he continues to improve on his oportunities than I can see the position shifting to him being starting slot.

I will say, he got out of the gate slowly this season but he is a rookie, I noticed yesterday when running back a punt (maybe a kick) return he looked a little loose holding the ball extended away from his body while running. Then there was the easy catch that he dropped, SO he still has some thing to improve upon... 

But like I said, it will come down to how he handles his opporunities moving forward. If he continues to improve, limit mistakes,  he plays more snaps

How I see it.  I don't think McDermott was a fan of his first punt reception either.  He called it off and let it bounce, which was better than going for it and having a turnover, but the result of being pinned on the goal line was not pretty.

But he's earned the opportunity to be active on gameday and to get his snaps.  What he does with them will determine his share of the playing time.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Process said:

Crowder? He'll never play another snap for the Bills.

McKenzie is much better as #4 WR/gadget guy. I agree, I think Shakir should start and I think he's going to be a stud.

Don’t agree with this entirely. Crowder could easily be put on the IR and he’s not. They expect him back sooner than later. 

but your point about McKenzie is correct. He’s good in certain situations and with certain expectations. I think he would and should be the starter at slot if Shakir hadn’t progressed so well. And I’d have absolute faith that he would be fine there. 

the point about Shakir is 100% correct though. He has not only earned at least opportunities and splitting time on the field. He has shown he has something that the other guys don’t. He’s going to be a very good player going forward. 

• Agree 1

Just now, mrags said:

Don’t agree with this entirely. Crowder could easily be put on the IR and he’s not. They expect him back sooner than later. 

but your point about McKenzie is correct. He’s good in certain situations and with certain expectations. I think he would and should be the starter at slot if Shakir hadn’t progressed so well. And I’d have absolute faith that he would be fine there. 

the point about Shakir is 100% correct though. He has not only earned at least opportunities and splitting time on the field. He has shown he has something that the other guys don’t. He’s going to be a very good player going forward. 

He was put on IR Saturday when Hodgins was signed to the 53.  Once Kumerow is back:

Diggs

Davis

McKenzie/Shakir
Kumerow/Hodgins 

• Like (+1) 1

All he needs to do is show that he is more reliable than McKenzie and I don't think McD will hesitate to have him as the starter. I think McD gets sick of the mental errors that come with McKenzie. 

I think from a physical standpoint, they both have alot of ability and both can play a big role in the weekly gameplans.

Just now, Warriorspikes51 said:

He was put on IR Saturday when Hodgins was signed to the 53.  Once Kumerow is back:

Diggs

Davis

McKenzie/Shakir
Kumerow/Hodgins 

Hodgins is likely to be the inactive guy once Kumerow is healthy because of Kumerow's blocking skill and ST role.

But, if McKenzie takes further steps towards McDermott's doghouse and Shakir continues to look good, that could change.

I don't think this a hot take either. I think this kid has serious potential and its been said over and over that if he was taken in the 3rd round no one would have thought twice. I still don't understand how he lasted as long as he did. He has an interesting body type but he's muscular and I think will have a much easier time staying healthy than McKenzie. I think this kid is going to be a serious player in this league and it was a case of the rich getting richer. Yesterday was a great start but I think the job will be his exclusively and McKenzie will settle back into role player mode. There is some special talent with Shakir and he's got juice too in addition to the toughness we saw on his contested catch. 

Edited by Johnnyp566
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

2 minutes ago, Johnnyp566 said:

I don't think is a hot take either. I think this kid has serious potential and its been said over and over that if he was taken in the 3rd round no one would have thought twice. I still don't understand how he lasted as long as he did. He has an interesting body type but he's muscular and I think will have a much easier time staying healthy than McKenzie. I think this kid is going to be a serious player in this league and it was a case of the rich getting richer. Yesterday was a great start but I think the job will be his exclusively and McKenzie will settle back into role player mode. There is some special talent with Shakir and he's got juice too in addition to the toughness we saw on his contested catch. 

Shakir seems to have subtle moves and a unique running style that makes him harder to defend 
Ideally, we would use McKenzie's speed more than we have so far.  More motion / designed end arounds 

Edited by Warriorspikes51

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.