Could Aaron Donald potentially miss Week 1 due to suspension?

Einstein

2 minutes ago, Beast said:

Why would the NFL wait that long? They will come down on this quick.

Defending SuperBowl Champs on opening night for the banner raising ceremony and all the announcers are going to talk about is the suspension of the best defensive player in the league. 

That's why they will drag their feet on it. 

Edited by The Wiz
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, The Wiz said:

Defending SuperBowl Champs on opening night for the banner raising ceremony and all the announcers are going to talk about is the suspension of the best defensive player in the league. 

That's why they will drag their feet on it. 

That would look ridiculous. Of course, the NFL has that look down pat.

32 minutes ago, Einstein said:

This doesnt say the NFL can't. It just says clubs are typically responsible.

It wasn't his teammate.

It was a Bengals player.

That makes it slightly more likely that the NFL will step in, but only slightly and then only if the Bengals raise the issue.  Doesn't sound as though they are

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/rams-star-aaron-donald-swings-helmet-at-bengals-during-brawl/ar-AA116fpG

It was the last in a series of skirmishes on the day between the two teams, with Bengals offensive lineman La'el Collins ripping off one of the Rams' helmets and tossing it after a scuffle earlier in the practice.

According to ESPN's Bengals reporter Ben Baby, Collins later took exception to being held from behind by a member of the Rams on a run play and began throwing punches.

That led to the scrum where Donald ripped off a helmet and began swinging it before he got thrown to the ground.  

"Things got a little scuffley and so we just called it," Bengals coach Zac Taylor said. "We were in the last period and we got two really good days of work in. So, was it worth getting the extra couple of plays in? No. So, we called it."

That's real "nothing to see here" stuff

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/aaron-donald-was-dual-wielding-helmets-during-the-rams-bengals-practice-brawl/ar-AA116H7H

It’s unclear what caused this to pop off, but there have been unconfirmed reports that Rams superstar Aaron Donald was pushed to the ground at the end of the play, which sparked this brawl. Regardless of what kicked it off, Donald went far and beyond an acceptable response when he pulled the helmet off a Bengals player, got his hands on another — and began swinging them at his opponents.

The video shows that these were not light hits. Donald was swinging down over his head at full force, and was lucky to not have injured anyone in the incident. It’s yet another case of two teams trying to have joint practices and watching them boil over as players are unable to keep their cool.

In terms of what happens next, it’s murky. Myles Garrett of the Browns was suspended indefinitely in Week 11 of the 2019 season for pulling the helmet off Steelers QB Mason Rudolph and hitting him with it, and was reinstated prior to the 2020 season, missing six games in total.

While that is the NFL’s rubric for using a helmet as a weapon in the regular season, the league has not enforced any penalties during these mixed practices. Teams have been asked to more or less self-police these scrimmages, with the league having little or no involvement. Typically an infraction at practice wouldn’t lead to a suspension or penalty, but this is an extreme case of violence during practice — and something that will undoubtably make mainstream news beyond the sports world.

Still "nothing to see here"

https://ftw.usatoday.com/lists/aaron-donald-fight-brawl-video-helmets-rams-bengals-reaction-suspension-nfl

You don’t see the league office get involved with practice fights (the league delegates that responsibility to teams), but using a helmet as a weapon was a line that Donald obviously crossed there. It absolutely warrants an exception to that policy.

There's one "No, this is Not O.K." take.

So we'll see.

1 minute ago, BringBackFergy said:

ESPN NFL Live just asked Adam Shefter what happened and he (correctly) said: “Assault”

They all laughed at him. 

We’re living in an alternative universe. 

it must have been non-violent because that's ok.  

Donald was just trying to put their helmets back on them is all.  Blown way out of context.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BringBackFergy said:

ESPN NFL Live just asked Adam Shefter what happened and he (correctly) said: “Assault”

They all laughed at him. 

Wasn't it Eric Wood who (grinning like Evil Santa) said "You can do things on a football field that are severely illegal anywhere else"?

4 minutes ago, Beast said:

That would look ridiculous. Of course, the NFL has that look down pat.

As soon as the NFL says that they aren't going to do anything everyone is going to forget about it opening night.  That's the NFL MO.   

Edited by The Wiz
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

44 minutes ago, Einstein said:

This doesnt say the NFL can't. It just says clubs are typically responsible.

It wasn't his teammate.

It was a Bengals player.

It may be safe to say that Pelissaro, reporting for the NFL's own network, may have been told this today by the League.

If that is something that was collectively bargained for, there's little chance a league suspension would stand.  The NFL will squeeze Kroenke to suspend this idiot. 

Hell we beat him and his team the last time we played them, but if the league sees fit to suspend him for a game or two that’s fine with me, 😁👍

First, I don't want him suspended for personal reasons...I don't want to hear the excuses when we smash them opening night.  

Second, based on Myles, he absolutely deserves a suspension as well.  I mean he is one of the strongest men in pro football, if not the strongest, and him using that helmet with all that force as a hammer essentially is a weapon.  

So...yes, I think this warrants a suspension based on the precedent they set with Myles.  But selfishly, I am hoping he doesn't cuz I want to beat the champs in their house to show the hype is real here.  

• Like (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, davspo said:

I don't care.  Let them bring their best and put them against our best.  

One of their best effed up. Let him face the music, because I want home field advantage thru the playoffs.

I know how greedy that sounds after missing the postseason for 17 straight years, but this is today, and I want home field! Sometimes you need some breaks, and I’ll take them. It’s not like Belichick spying on locker rooms or stealing playbooks (allegedly). He did it with no involvement from us. Their are no special pride points for beating a team missing their best player. A “W” is a “W”, and every one counts (even against the NFC, a concept which confuses some people :)

Full disclosure: Had he been suspended for jay walking, I could live with that too.  I really could. 

24 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

They all laughed at him. 

It’s joke because he called Myles thing assault and everyone made fun of him. But he is right. It’s assault.

18 minutes ago, Rico said:

I wish I had a HOF vote, he would be shunned. :thumbdown:

I can’t believe Rico doesn’t have a HOF vote!!! Complete BS. Let me make a phone call. I gotcha you. 

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

I don’t want him suspended. I don’t wanna hear any excuses if/when Buffalo wins. You wanna be the best? You gotta beat the best. 

All that said that is not the guy I want angry chasing after me with a weapon. 

We won't have our best on the field. Tre White won't be out there.

Count me in as wanting Donald suspended. Not only because he deserves it but not having him on the field obviously helps the Bills.

Edited by Beast
  • Like (+1) 3

Just now, Beast said:

We don't have our best onnyhe field. Tre White won't be out there.

Count me in as wanting Donald suspended. Not only because he deserves it but not having him on the field obviously helps the Bills.

All the better to beat them at full strength. It’s a statement game. I’m not gonna be sad if they suspend just my preference 

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, nosejob said:

I'm not worried...Donald Scmonald. between Saffold, Morse and Bates, we won't be hearing his name much. Von will be taking all the attention.

I hope this is sarcasm on the first half of this

17 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

100% chance we read about AD killing someone or getting arrested for domestic violence after he retires. 

Based on what? Dudes a class act off the field, does a ton in community for 10 years, donated a chit ton to his Alma mater. 

This is a bad look today, but you have zero basis for this post.

34 minutes ago, Beast said:

We won't have our best on the field. Tre White won't be out there.

White isn't the best player on this team, let alone possibly the league.  

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

First, I don't want him suspended for personal reasons...I don't want to hear the excuses when we smash them opening night.  

Second, based on Myles, he absolutely deserves a suspension as well.  I mean he is one of the strongest men in pro football, if not the strongest, and him using that helmet with all that force as a hammer essentially is a weapon.  

So...yes, I think this warrants a suspension based on the precedent they set with Myles.  But selfishly, I am hoping he doesn't cuz I want to beat the champs in their house to show the hype is real here.  

I couldn’t care less about what people say.  the only way we will show anyone that the hype is real is by winning the Super bowl.  If we don’t, it was a failed season and there is no hype.  

No one will ever remember Donald missing a game.   What people will remember, is the best defensive player in the league wrecking our franchise qB and possibly injuring him.  For that reason alone, I really hope that he’s suspended.  

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

I couldn’t care less about what people say.  the only way we will show anyone that the hype is real is by winning the Super bowl.  If we don’t, it was a failed season and there is no hype.  

No one will ever remember Donald missing a game.   What people will remember, is the best defensive player in the league wrecking our franchise qB and possibly injuring him.  For that reason alone, I really hope that he’s suspended.  

I am too competitive; I want to face the best and beat the best...that's just my personality.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.