Bills sign Jamison Crowder

YoloinOhio

11 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

At this time, and until he presents an offer sheet the Bills refuse to match, that would be Ryan "Rick" Bates.

At this time, we hope that it will be Ryan Bates.  

Any idea how many snaps he’s had @ RG in the nfl?

5 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

I have faith in Beane being able to pull some double reverse shenanigans if necessary. 

I hope so. 

ever see him play RG?  

I can’t help but be at least a little apprehensive about his move to RG.  Playing LG last year he was sandwiched between our two best OL. Now he’ll be playing next to a raw 2nd year guy who wasn’t very good in pass protection.  That stuff matters more than people think.  It’s not madden.  

does anyone know if Bates has played RG, if so, how many snaps?  

we can take this to the Bates thread so we don’t hijack.  

Edited by NewEra
  • Like (+1) 2

53 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Good videos!  Thanks for posting. 

1. for a guy who ran a 4.56 40-yd, he looks to play a helluvalot faster than that - especially in the highlights from Washington

What's the scoop there, anyone know?  Or where's someone with "scout eyes" to look at the highlights?

I saw Josh answer this question about his speed.  Apparently he runs faster than what he was clocked at the combine.  When asked why, he said, and I paraphrase, "because I have guys chasing me..."

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, gobills404 said:

There’s a good chance BPA is a WR and there’s no way you let Jamison Crowder on a 1 year deal stop you from taking that player

I was hoping the Bills would draft Kyle Phillips as a Beasly replacement, but I guess the signing of Crowder would stop the Bills from drafting a "slot" receiver.....but no doubt the Bills should still draft a "speed" receiver.

28 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

I have faith in Beane being able to pull some double reverse shenanigans if necessary. 

As I recall, what the Bills did with Clay was put contract language/numbers in the offer that made it impossible for Miami to match.  I believe once you put the RFA tag on a player and set the level, you have to match the offered contract by the other team, including all the quirky stuff in it.  The Bills are admittedly cap strapped at the moment, so that limits their options.  Bates saw what kind of numbers that Wyatt Teller got paid, and since he replaced Teller on the roster, is just looking for the best for #1.

7 minutes ago, BearNorth said:

As I recall, what the Bills did with Clay was put contract language/numbers in the offer that made it impossible for Miami to match.  I believe once you put the RFA tag on a player and set the level, you have to match the offered contract by the other team, including all the quirky stuff in it.  The Bills are admittedly cap strapped at the moment, so that limits their options.  Bates saw what kind of numbers that Wyatt Teller got paid, and since he replaced Teller on the roster, is just looking for the best for #1.

Luckily Bates can't write his own offer! Teller got paid big bucks after several full seasons being graded one of the best OG's in the league. Rick has started 4 regular season games... If a team does come with a higher #, Beane can shift some things around if need be. There's almost no way Bates is getting a Wyatt Teller like offer. Maybe after a couple of full seasons. 

14 hours ago, Logic said:

Just one note:

He’s the same age — 29 — that Beasley was when he signed with the Bills.

If he fails to stick or contribute here, I don’t feel that age will be the reason.

I’m admittedly an eternal optimist, but the fact that Crowder had more career catches, yards, and touchdowns in his 7 years prior to joining the Bills than Beasley had in HIS 7 pre-Bills years, all while playing with much worse quarterbacks than Beasley had….makes me hopeful that Crowder can be a productive slot receiver in this offense.

That said, if I had my ‘druthers, the Bills would draft a more explosive receiver in round 1 or 2 that pushes Crowder down or off the depth chart. I look at 29 year old Crowder as a push with 32 year old Beasley, but I’d prefer an UPGRADE to Beasley.

I figured someone would come up with some data about his age, etc.   I hadn't checked it.  But when I said long in the tooth, I was referring to my own impressions of having seen him.   I have a friend with great Jets tickets, and he shares them with me for Bills games, so I've seen Crowder in person several times now.  My impression has been that he's slowed down in the last few years - slowed down in the sense that he isn't the really tough option he was in his earlier years.  Whether that's true remains to be seen, and even if it's true, whether he finds the experience with the Bills to be rejuvenating also remains to be seen.  

Having said that, I agree with you about the Bills needing a better, younger answer.  Crowder at his best can be an answer for a year or two but as you say, the Bills need someone to push him to the bench or off the roster.   Fact is, Crowder is going to have show something to take playing time from McKenzie.   Crowder is clearly the better receiver, but McKenzie is the bigger threat when he's on the field, and more difficult to plan for.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

1 hour ago, John from Riverside said:

Have you done enough research to know that he wasn’t even in Edmonds responsibility Edmonds was just the one that attempted to chase him down I don’t know if Edmonds is the long term answer here but you need to do more research

Might I suggest you watch it again.  Taron Johnson blitzes so Edmunds has the flat and is late getting there and misses tackle.  Tre gets blocked out by Perriman and Poyer overruns to sideline and gets blocked too.  Bam Johnson and Taron give chase to no avail.

Edited by freddyjj

42 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

On a positive note on him replacing Beasley, I don't think he even has a twitter account.

https://nypost.com/2019/08/10/inside-jamison-crowders-heartwarming-bond-with-autistic-brother/

This is a nice profile of Jamison and his relationship with his younger brother (by 9 years) Jamaris,  who is non-verbal, has Down Syndrome and is also on the Autistic spectrum.  

Jamison is a special person 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, freddyjj said:

Might I suggest you watch it again.  Taron Johnson blitzes so Edmunds has the flat and is late getting there and misses tackle.  Tre gets blocked out by Perriman and Poyer overruns to sideline and gets blocked too.  Bam Johnson and Taron give chase to no avail.

Cover 1 already covered this to length I suggest you go watch it

1 hour ago, gobills404 said:

There’s a good chance BPA is a WR and there’s no way you let Jamison Crowder on a 1 year deal stop you from taking that player

I necessarily wasn’t looking at Crowder as a barrier to drafting a WR. I think CB is a huge area of need…but BPA is typically always the best choice.

• Like (+1) 1

I never felt much doubt that Bean would find a quality vet WR to come in on a cheap deal (such as what we got in Crowder).   What WR doesn't want Josh Freaking Allen throwing to them?   

However, I am much more concerned about CB  than I can remember.   Levi was a fantastic floor for a CB and really a solid fallback starter.   His lack of foot speed hurt him vs many WR, but his change of direction, anticipation and understanding of where he was supposed to be was very good.   Dane is a better, more aggressive tackler, but gets lost and fooled way more often in coverage.   I want him as my outside CB4, not 1 2 or 3.  

Tre is likely to be not ready for the start of season...  With the high demand of CBs, any competent ones go for more money than we have.   I don't like any of the vet CBs left and feel like we MUST take a CB in the first round to maximize the chances of a competent starter.   I don't like this feeling.

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Middle rounds. Right now we’re about the same as last year maybe better depending on Davis’ development. Need some depth outside but middle rounds is a good spot.

I’m looking at CB and OL.

Depending on what WR or CB gets to us at 25. Whoever is bpa at those positions. I would like to have a young high upside guy learning from diggs to replace davis if he becomes too expensive.

52 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

Really like the fit.

Nice signing Beane! He’s had a pretty great offseason so far.

Amazing how much different the off-season is when you’re at the top of the heap for super bowl odds. 

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Mark Long Beach said:

I never felt much doubt that Bean would find a quality vet WR to come in on a cheap deal (such as what we got in Crowder).   What WR doesn't want Josh Freaking Allen throwing to them?   

However, I am much more concerned about CB  than I can remember.   Levi was a fantastic floor for a CB and really a solid fallback starter.   His lack of foot speed hurt him vs many WR, but his change of direction, anticipation and understanding of where he was supposed to be was very good.   Dane is a better, more aggressive tackler, but gets lost and fooled way more often in coverage.   I want him as my outside CB4, not 1 2 or 3.  

Tre is likely to be not ready for the start of season...  With the high demand of CBs, any competent ones go for more money than we have.   I don't like any of the vet CBs left and feel like we MUST take a CB in the first round to maximize the chances of a competent starter.   I don't like this feeling.

Unlike most, I won't miss Wallace.  he's a great story from UFA to starter, but, just recent memory of the playoffs I remember:

1. being burned for an easy TD on NE's first drive, bailed out by Hyde

2. Needless PI call vs NE on 3rd down

3. TD by Hill with a minute left

4. two catches were on him in the last 13 seconds (though full disclosure I blame coaching more than him)

Seems to me, if the Bills weren't willing to pay him $4m per, they have similar observations.  With hopefully a better pass rush this year, the CB's will be better protected too.  Give me Peterson, Gilmour, Rhodes or even Seymour on a reasonable 1 year deal + draft two CB's (one on day one or two) and we'll be good to go

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, wakingfane said:

Sweet! Only player I would have wanted from the Jets. Berries too easy to squish.

Reading the Jets boards they were sad to see him leave. They are happy he gets a chance to win but hate the fact that its with the Bills.

18 minutes ago, HOUSE said:

Poor Cole Beasley, I will miss him...

Poor Cole Beasley? No. He did this to himself. Many players have opinions about things, they don’t use those opinions to drive wedges between the team and fanbase. 

I liked him as a player, but him calling out fans cheering for him in the pouring rain was the last straw for me. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1
  • Dislike 1

3 hours ago, wjag said:

I saw Josh answer this question about his speed.  Apparently he runs faster than what he was clocked at the combine.  When asked why, he said, and I paraphrase, "because I have guys chasing me..."

yeah, that was in an interview with Pat McAfee where one of Pat's cronies asked him, essentially, if he was sandbagging at the combine.  He said no, he was trying but .....

2 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Cover 1 already covered this to length I suggest you go watch it

If you could kindly include a link to the relevant Cover1 feature, that would be splendid and would facilitate taking advantage of your suggestion

1 hour ago, HOUSE said:

Poor Cole Beasley, I will miss him...

"Poor" Cole Beasley has estimated career earnings of $38M, including $23M in three seasons with the Bills. 

He carefully explained to us last pre-season that his family is financially set for life at this point.

• Sad 1

https://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/2022/03/bills-jamison-crowder-could-slide-into-void-left-by-cole-beasleys-release-5-things-to-know.html

Inspired by his brother

Jamison draws his inspiration from his brother, Jamaris.

Jamaris is nine years younger than Jamison and has Down syndrome.

It’s almost poetic that Crowder agreed to join the Bills on Monday, March 21. That’s World Down Syndrome Day throughout the world.

“My brother definitely made me a better person,” he told ESPN.com back in 2018. “He helped me become more patient and understanding. He helped me grow into a young man. He gives me more motivation.”

The Jets also did a great feature on Jamison’s relationship with Jamaris in 2019.

31 minutes ago, Sierra Foothills said:

You never really know another person's character but Jamison seems like he's a really solid human being.

It's always better when you like the players you're cheering for.

So he doesnt seem like the type to get in trouble on social media all the time?

(I kid I kid I respected cole's right to say his own personal beliefs)

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.