Feliciano cut [now according to Bills]

Draconator

31 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I played it at a relatively high level and have been coaching the position at the varsity level for 14 years. I can talk about hand placement, steps, leverage all that stuff. I’ve been at clinics studying Mouse McNally, Pat Flaherty, and whole host of college guys. I’m not an ego guy, but I know line play.

I’m a Feliciano hater, so not trying to come off as a jerk, but I am not a fan. For culture and stuff? Sure. But ability? Nah. 

I don't think anyone would try to argue you that he's a top OL talent - he's not Brandon Scherff or Wyatt Teller, or Ali Marpet.

But what does "suck" mean, really?  I would put him as a lower-third starter whose positional flexibility gives him a bit of a bonus.  Would you really want to argue that, say , Greg Van Roten, or Dan Feeney, or Justin McCray (to name a few guards of a similar age and experience range) are better?

That's the point a couple of us are making - that Feliciano seems to slot into a tier of veteran OLmen who aren't top talent, but who play well enough to slot into that $2-$3.5M a year vet minimum range, well over vet minimum.  The fact that FA almost always get overpaid plays into it.

44 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I am interested to see how it goes in terms of what he gets paid. I think he definitely becomes a NYG but there are waiver wire guys who are just as good as him imo. 

Maybe.  I think Bobby Johnson over-valued him because of the help getting buy-in on his technique and because of that "positional flexibility", so it wouldn't at all surprise me to see him go to the Giants.  I think there may be a couple of teams interested and he'll  get something like $2.5M

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

Didn’t he drop 30 pounds for no reason last offseason.  Makes you wonder if he’d have had a better year at a higher weight.

He is what he is. A serviceable, replacement level guard with a fun personality and terrible pizza takes 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 4

1 hour ago, MWK said:

Good riddance! Was terribly overrated by bills fans for being “tough.” He is not starter quality.

He was for a couple of years. The team played visibly worse when they took him off the field. 

But last year he absolutely got worse.

9 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

Didn’t he drop 30 pounds for no reason last offseason.  Makes you wonder if he’d have had a better year at a higher weight.

He lost weight and reportedly the Bills hadn't asked him to, yeah.  I vaguely recall that in one or another interview he indicated it was his agents' idea to make him faster or something.  Spoiler it didn't, and he lost the advantage of Mass

• Like (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I played it at a relatively high level and have been coaching the position at the varsity level for 14 years. I can talk about hand placement, steps, leverage all that stuff. I’ve been at clinics studying Mouse McNally, Pat Flaherty, and whole host of college guys. I’m not an ego guy, but I know line play.

I’m a Feliciano hater, so not trying to come off as a jerk, but I am not a fan. For culture and stuff? Sure. But ability? Nah.  

Well that's fine, but it is 100% certain that Feliciano is way better than you, so I'm not sure how you can say that he sucks.

• Eyeroll 4

I was not a fan when he re-signed last year.. I thought they could have got someone better for similar money...

He got worse every year he was here in hindsight... 

Although he seemed like a fun guy and hope he finds another team.. Im sure someone will pay him $2m a year...

3 hours ago, Rico said:

Happy trails Mongo. He may have much maligned near the end of his tenure, but he far exceeded my expectations from when he first  signed as a FA.

Exactly my feelings. He stepped up when the line completely sucked and gave it some attitude.

Things have improved (and he may have declined a bit) to the point where he's not really a guy this team needs. Certainly not at his salary. Maybe he  can go help another team become respectable. 

Good luck, you freak.

• Agree 2

2 minutes ago, Buffalo ill said:

Peterman is a better qb than me, can I critique his time with the Bills?

You aren't claiming to be a QB guy with all this playing and coaching experience as a basis for your criticism.

3 hours ago, MWK said:

Good riddance! Was terribly overrated by bills fans for being “tough.” He is not starter quality.

3 years for 14.4 mil

Apparently someone other than Bills fans thought he was a tough, starter quality guard. 

You're right as far as good riddance. Just because he was better than the trash that was in place doesn't make him a starting caliber player.

2 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Morse was pretty good imo. And Brown was super up and down, but you could see the potential there. Williams was meh. It think that is where the upgrade comes. I think he becomes a high quality backup to whoever replaces him. 

Feliciano def helped change the culture for sure. But now it’s time to add talent to get this team over the hump. 

Williams is meh, which is why he will be cut or restructured. No way he stays at that cap number, playing guard, and playing at an average level. 
You are one of the few people I respect on here when it comes to oline takes. I played oline into college. Some people get it, others don’t. 
Feliciano was a great teammate but a below average talent. Bills moved past his level of play with the talent they have now. 

Edited by atlbillsfan1975
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, MAJBobby said:

By my count. About 7 more players to have their contracts addressed via cuts, trade, retirement or pay cuts. 

Could be.

This is the key point:

https://buffalonews.com/sports/bills/brandon-beane-bills-about-6-6m-over-2022-salary-cap-as-new-league-year-approaches/article_3765aa48-9ef7-11ec-81f8-9379c277e842.html

According to Beane (must be some internal Bills recordkeeping that Spotrac and Overthecap haven't caught up with), the Bills were $6.6M over the cap with the new league year

By releasing Klein ($5.1M) and Feliciano ($3.4M), the Bills now have $1.9M cap space.

Yep, they need to do more as they currently don't even have enough space to put a right-of-first-refusal tender on Bates or Zimmer:

Right of First Refusal: $2,433,000

Original-Round Tender: $2,540,000

Second-Round Tender: $3,986,000

First-Round Tender: $5,432,000

• Thank you (+1) 1

It's going to be tough for marginal players to stick with this team.  It's sad, but it's a good thing that the required level of performance is so high that merely good players won't be retained.

Mongo will find another team for which his level of performance is better than what they have already, and he'll get more money than the Bills were willing or able to pay him.

46 minutes ago, billsbackto81 said:

3 years for 14.4 mil

Apparently someone other than Bills fans thought he was a tough, starter quality guard.

Not to pick on you but I'd like to use this as an example of how NFL contracts can sound big and lengthy and not amount to "all that".

Per Spotrac

Contract: 3 yr(s) / $14,400,000Signing Bonus $2,250,000Average Salary$4,800,000GTD at Sign:$4,400,000Total GTD:$4,400,000Free Agent:

Feliciano received $4.4M guaranteed consisting of a $750k signing bonus last season, $1.5M amortized into 2022, and $2.15M guaranteed salary last season.

It was touted as a 3 yr, $14.4M contract, but it was really a 1 year, $4.4M contract with the cap hit lowered by paying $2.9M last season and $1.5M this season.

That made him something like the 27th or 28th highest paid guard in AAV, and if we were paying him as a C the 16th or 17th highest paid C.

IOW, he pretty much got paid like what he was - an average starting guard with the ability to play C.  Fair deal for both parties (look at some of the other guys who are paid in that range), but not nearly the great contract it sounded like.

And with 5 days until the tampering period and 7 days until the start of the league New Year, time to move on.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

He had a pretty bad year, I’m sure he’ll land on his feet.

I’m curious about Williams…he too had a pretty bad year and got shuffled around a lot (and lost his starting RT job to a raw rookie). My guess is they offer him a pay cut with the understanding that he is a guard now and he takes it.

26 minutes ago, Nitro said:

great guy and character

He was indeed a “character” and by all accounts seemed be a good teammate.  Not my cup ‘o tea with his anti-vax and political takes, but diff’rent strokes…

At the end of the day his level of play dropped precipitously, and that’s really all I care about as a fan.

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Not to pick on you but I'd like to use this as an example of how NFL contracts can sound big and lengthy and not amount to "all that".

Per Spotrac

Contract: 3 yr(s) / $14,400,000Signing Bonus $2,250,000Average Salary$4,800,000GTD at Sign:$4,400,000Total GTD:$4,400,000Free Agent:

Feliciano received $4.4M guaranteed consisting of a $750k signing bonus last season, $1.5M amortized into 2022, and $2.15M guaranteed salary last season.

It was touted as a 3 yr, $14.4M contract, but it was really a 1 year, $4.4M contract with the cap hit lowered by paying $2.9M last season and $1.5M this season.

That made him something like the 27th or 28th highest paid guard in AAV, and if we were paying him as a C the 16th or 17th highest paid C.

IOW, he pretty much got paid like what he was - an average starting guard with the ability to play C.  Fair deal for both parties (look at some of the other guys who are paid in that range), but not nearly the great contract it sounded like.

And with 5 days until the tampering period and 7 days until the start of the league New Year, time to move on.

That's good stuff Hap. I actually appreciate the clarity. Most fans including myself will only go by the face value of a contract. Not many like yourself will do a deep dive into the logistics like amortization and length. If he had played to the level that earned him that deal instead of pooping the bed it would've been digestible. 

But alas, its time for Mongo to ride off into the sunset. Happy Trails!!

8 hours ago, GimmeSomeProcess said:

Seriously it’s beyond frustrating and blows my minds. It’s not easy do cause one little thing can knock you out. 

On the other hand, the Patriots went to the Super Bowl 9 times over the 17 years they had Brady starting at QB. More than 50% of the time.

Edited by vincec

8 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Could be.

This is the key point:

https://buffalonews.com/sports/bills/brandon-beane-bills-about-6-6m-over-2022-salary-cap-as-new-league-year-approaches/article_3765aa48-9ef7-11ec-81f8-9379c277e842.html

According to Beane (must be some internal Bills recordkeeping that Spotrac and Overthecap haven't caught up with), the Bills were $6.6M over the cap with the new league year

By releasing Klein ($5.1M) and Feliciano ($3.4M), the Bills now have $1.9M cap space.

Yep, they need to do more as they currently don't even have enough space to put a right-of-first-refusal tender on Bates or Zimmer:

Right of First Refusal: $2,433,000

Original-Round Tender: $2,540,000

Second-Round Tender: $3,986,000

First-Round Tender: $5,432,000

Second round tender for Bates not Zimmer. Bates is by far more valuable. I could see Bates get a multi-year deal, he showed was starting caliber at a position of need. Zimmer is ok, but I don’t see anyone fighting for his services after the injury. 

• Like (+1) 1

Clearly we needed an upgrade at LG, but it's too bad we couldn't afford to keep him as 1st man off the bench at C or G. He'll get paid though. There are many teams with worse starting G's than Jon. His attitude and enthusiasm will be missed and will serve him well even after he hangs up his cleats.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.