Cole Beasley given permission to seek trade

BillsMafi$

22 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Respectfully disagree.  I think GMs who should consider making a play for Beasley include teams with a young QB to develop, who might take a step with a savvy veteran "always open" player like Beasley to throw to.

But as for the market you name, I guess the Broncos, Chargers, and Ravens would fit the bill. 

The Ravens are not in super bowl contention. The don't have a QB who can stay healthy for a sufficient number of games. 

Edited by Chaos
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 1

27 minutes ago, Chaos said:

The Ravens are not in super bowl contention. The don't have a QB who can stay healthy for a sufficient number of games. 

Oh, Stop.  Jackson was inactive for the final game of the season in 2019 (after they made the playoffs) and on the Covid list 1 game in 2020.

Other than that, he missed 1 game due to a non-covid illness and 4 games due to injury this season. 

Josh Allen missed 4 games due to injury one year, and arguably should perhaps have missed another couple games after Las Vegas in 2020.  What's next, "we don't have a QB who can stay healthy for a sufficient number of games"?

4 hours ago, benderbender said:

Forgive my ignorance, but did announcing this do anything but hurt our chances of trading him? Everyone knew his cap hit, but now other teams know for certain he’s going to be cut. They don’t have to deal for him, they’ll just wait for him to be cut.

You need to understand the reason for giving "permission to seek a trade."

Yes, everybody knows he's going to be cut. They knew that before he was given "permission."

And yes, everybody knows his cap hit. Also before.

And no, nobody is going to trade for him at his current cap hit. Everybody knows that.

Now consider, if some team wanted to trade for Beasley at his current 1 year contract and cap hit, they would just trade for him. The Bills don't need to give Beasley permission for that. Permission to seek out a trade allows another team to go ahead and make a deal with Beas before the trade. Maybe offer him $3 or $4 mil a a year - or maybe a 2 year deal. If they can come to an agreement and give the Bills a small amount in trade, then all 3 parties are happy. The new team gets Beas without having to outbid other teams in free agency. Beas gets to go to a team where he wants to be at a mutually agreed on price. And the Bills get whatever compensation they can for a guy they're going to cut anyway.

The catch to all this is, Beas and his agent are not allowed to discuss any type of new contract with another team while still under contract with the Bills. Unless the Bills give them permission.

So this way everything can be hashed out ahead of time. Maybe the Bills said to Beas we'd love to keep you but your age, our cap situation, etc. means we can only do so for $2 mil this year. Allowing Beas to seek a trade allows him to go out and gauge other teams interest in how much they're willing to pay. And if they reach a deal that's enough more than the Bills offer, and if the team agrees to give the Bills whatever (anything is better than nothing if we cut him - even just a 7th in 2023 0r '24), then everybody benefits.

And this avoids the alternative. If the Bills wind up cutting Beas because he thinks he can get more than the $2 mil (or whatever) the Bills are offering, then he goes out and finds out there really isn't as much market for him as he thought, then Beas has to consider re-signing with Buff for the $2 mil (or whatever) they offered. Giving him permission to seek a trade (gauge his marketability) is much more about letting Beas decide whether or not to accept the Bills pay cut offer (if there really is one - " . . . though GM Brandon Beane told me late yesterday the team would welcome him back and 'no door has been closed' . . . ") before being cut, than it is actually expecting a team to give up much for him.

Edited by Tuco
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Chaos said:

Ravens have 20-1 odds from the betting world. This does not fit the definition of "contender".  It fits the definition of "a little better than a random 1/32 chance"

37 minutes ago, Tuco said:

You need to understand the reason for giving "permission to seek a trade."

Yes, everybody knows he's going to be cut. They knew that before he was given "permission."

And yes, everybody knows his cap hit. Also before.

And no, nobody is going to trade for him at his current cap hit. Everybody knows that.

Now consider, if some team wanted to trade for Beasley at his current 1 year contract and cap hit, they would just trade for him. The Bills don't need to give Beasley permission for that. Permission to seek out a trade allows another team to go ahead and make a deal with Beas before the trade. Maybe offer him $3 or $4 mil a a year - or maybe a 2 year deal. If they can come to an agreement and give the Bills a small amount in trade, then all 3 parties are happy. The new team gets Beas without having to outbid other teams in free agency. Beas gets to go to a team where he wants to be at a mutually agreed on price. And the Bills get whatever compensation they can for a guy they're going to cut anyway.

The catch to all this is, Beas and his agent are not allowed to discuss any type of new contract with another team while still under contract with the Bills. Unless the Bills give them permission.

So this way everything can be hashed out ahead of time. Maybe the Bills said to Beas we'd love to keep you but your age, our cap situation, etc. means we can only do so for $2 mil this year. Allowing Beas to seek a trade allows him to go out and gauge other teams interest in how much they're willing to pay. And if they reach a deal that's enough more than the Bills offer, and if the team agrees to give the Bills whatever (anything is better than nothing if we cut him - even just a 7th in 2023 0r '24), then everybody benefits.

And this avoids the alternative. If the Bills wind up cutting Beas because he thinks he can get more than the $2 mil (or whatever) the Bills are offering, then he goes out and finds out there really isn't as much market for him as he thought, then Beas has to consider re-signing with Buff for the $2 mil (or whatever) they offered. Giving him permission to seek a trade (gauge his marketability) is much more about letting Beas decide whether or not to accept the Bills pay cut offer (if there really is one - " . . . though GM Brandon Beane told me late yesterday the team would welcome him back and 'no door has been closed' . . . ") before being cut, than it is actually expecting a team to give up much for him.

I didn't think about the "pre-negotiate new contract" aspect of the permission to seek trade.  Good points.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Chaos said:

Ravens have 20-1 odds from the betting world. This does not fit the definition of "contender".  It fits the definition of "a little better than a random 1/32 chance"

1 hour ago, Chaos said:

No.

The Ravens have the 8th highest odds in the league right now. They are absolutely contenders. Not among the few favorites, but absolutely contenders.

Edited by Thurman#1

4 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

Who is going to give up a pick for a 33 year old wideout on a one year $7 million dollar deal when it's already been advertised that the team he is on asked him to take a pay cut?   Any GM with any common sense will wait for the Bills to release Beasley and save the pick and the money.    Personally, I think Cole has lost a step, but I also think his current contract is right around where he should be paid.  That said, a team would be stupid to give up a pick for the guy given his age. 

Trading for a guy - if you really want him - has at least two major advantages over waiting for him to be cut.

First, sometimes teams you think are going to cut a guy don't. They could re-negotiate a cheaper deal, for instance.

Second, when you trade for a guy you make sure all 31 other teams can't slip in front of you. If you wait for him to be cut, you're one of 32 teams competing for him (it happens that teams cut a guy and then get him back cheaper, happens pretty often, actually).

And as Tuco pointed out above, giving Beasley permission to talk to these teams means his agent could work out a salary that might be better than the Bills want to give him.

And he's not getting $7m in cash from the Bills this year. His cap hit is $7.6, but he would receive $5.9M from us in cash, or from his new team if he were traded under his current contract. And if nobody wants to give that, his agent will undoubtedly find out which team interested in trading for him would be willing to give Beasley the most cash.

Edited by Thurman#1

3 hours ago, Chaos said:

Even if Lamar misses a few games you can still win with Tyler Huntley.  They were decimated by injuries last year and are absolutely a contender if they can stay relatively healthy.

1 hour ago, Chaos said:

They're a contender at those odds.

1 hour ago, Doc Brown said:

Even if Lamar misses a few games you can still win with Tyler Huntley.  They were decimated by injuries last year and are absolutely a contender if they can stay relatively healthy.

Even if Lamar starts all 17 games, they are a borderline WC team.  

Edited by Royale with Cheese

1 hour ago, Doc Brown said:

4 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Lamont is a great regular season player when healthy, but he will never lead a team deep into the playoffs.  He's proven both of those things.  As long as he is their QB, the Ravens are not a threat.  He's just not that good.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

They started 5-1 last year with wins over the Chiefs, Colts, and Chargers.  Injuries then mounted and they could never recover.  It would be an upset with their roster if they didn't either win the division or make a Wild Card spot. Right now I have the Bills and Chiefs in the top tier.  The next tier is the Chargers, Ravens, Bengals, and Broncos.  The rest don't have the QB's to make a serious run.

2 hours ago, Gugny said:

Lamont is a great regular season player when healthy, but he will never lead a team deep into the playoffs.  He's proven both of those things.  As long as he is their QB, the Ravens are not a threat.  He's just not that good.

Too small of a sample size as he's only been in the league four years.  Numerous QB's have won the Super Bowl after early struggles in the playoffs.  He did win one playoff game coming from behind smashing those two narratives.  I don't consider myself a Lamar defender but I feel like other fans are underestimating him falling into the lazy narratives that we had to see Josh overcome.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

They started 5-1 last year with wins over the Chiefs, Colts, and Chargers.  Injuries then mounted and they could never recover.  It would be an upset with their roster if they didn't either win the division or make a Wild Card spot. Right now I have the Bills and Chiefs in the top tier.  The next tier is the Chargers, Ravens, Bengals, and Broncos.  The rest don't have the QB's to make a serious run.

I don’t know…

In 12 starts, Jackson had 16 TD passes to 13 INT’s.  Defenses are doing a better job keeping him in the pocket….

He has been pretty bad in the playoffs in 

3 seasons.

Mistake letting him and McKenzie go at the same time. Rookie wrs hsve been having better success, but I'd rather not hinge our success on a rookie.

Bease keeps the chains moving reliably, critical to our offense, especially with a weak running game. I don't want the offense taking steps back 😫 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Too small of a sample size as he's only been in the league four years.  Numerous QB's have won the Super Bowl after early struggles in the playoffs.  He did win one playoff game coming from behind smashing those two narratives.  I don't consider myself a Lamar defender but I feel like other fans are underestimating him falling into the lazy narratives that we had to see Josh overcome.

You make a good point about other QBs achieving success after many years.  But after his amazing MVP season, he has regressed in each of the two following years.  If the team ever goes far with him under center, it will be a run like the Dilfer Ravens and the Manning Broncos; where the QB meant next to nothing.

8 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

in the sense that all 32 teams are contenders, yes they are a contender.  A 5% chance to win is not really a contender.  Put another way if the 2021 Bills with Josh Allen playing at the level he did could not advance to the championship game with Beasley, it is not reasonable to think Beasley would put the Ravens over the top. Its quite absurd actually. 

10 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Huntley is a FA. Speaking of that….

🍿 very interesting. What will be the final outcome of this Cole Beasley saga......film at 11....

Im good either way. Would rather they be keeping him as a valuable WR asset but it is outta my control...a guess? He will be a Bill next season. I hope so anyway. 

*shrugs*

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Gugny said:

You make a good point about other QBs achieving success after many years.  But after his amazing MVP season, he has regressed in each of the two following years.  If the team ever goes far with him under center, it will be a run like the Dilfer Ravens and the Manning Broncos; where the QB meant next to nothing.

Likely opposing teams have figured him out to some degree making it tougher.  Couple that with not having the greatest arm strength makes it tough to win with him deep into playoffs.

Next problem for Baltimore is Jackson wants to be paid like the big boys, but he's really not in their league.   If they do pay him that much, then makes it even tougher to win as he's going to eat up to much of the cap for not displaying an amazing level of play.

49 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I thought the soon to be 33 year old receiver who lost a step in 2021 and was infamously a huge distraction for the team would have some takers by now.

There may be interest, but can't agree on salary or compensation to the Bills.  Could be an 11th hour announcement.  Until FA starts, I don't read much into announcements or lack there of.

If a team was dumb enough to trade something for an 800 yard receiver Amari Cooper and his ridiculous $20M cap hit...........then it is actually possible someone trades something for Beasley.    Can't believe I am saying that but all it takes is one stupid team like the Browns.

• Agree 1

31 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

If a team was dumb enough to trade something for an 800 yard receiver Amari Cooper and his ridiculous $20M cap hit...........then it is actually possible someone trades something for Beasley.    Can't believe I am saying that but all it takes is one stupid team like the Browns.

Cooper has all his teeth and doesn't make garbage rap songs (at least 8 think he doesnt)

7 hours ago, Chaos said:

in the sense that all 32 teams are contenders, yes they are a contender.  A 5% chance to win is not really a contender.  Put another way if the 2021 Bills with Josh Allen playing at the level he did could not advance to the championship game with Beasley, it is not reasonable to think Beasley would put the Ravens over the top. Its quite absurd actually. 

They're actually 4th to win the AFC right now behind the Bills, Chiefs, and Broncos according to Fanduel.  Ahead of the Chargers and Bengals (who I also consider contenders).  You need better metrics than public perception to come up with a "percentage" of their Super Bowl odds.  I agree with you when it comes to Beasley though.

6 hours ago, Simon said:

Didn't he just go 0-4 as a starter?

He went 1-3 with two losses by a point against the Packers and Rams.  He's a perfectly capable backup.

5 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Huntley is a FA. Speaking of that….

He is?  Didn't they tender him?

5 minutes ago, Steptide said:

I'm all for keeping Bease, just at differently structured contract, assuming he's willing. If give him an intentive laced contract and give him a base salary of like 3 million, with like 500k in incentives and a 1 million signing bonus 

I agree that you don’t have to cut him. I doubt he finds a trade, but his cap hit is fine for what he offers. I doubt he agrees to anything, but the Bills don’t have to move him. 

2 hours ago, BillsMafi$ said:

Welp highly doubt we’ll get anything for Cole considering what cooper just went for 

On the plus side, Cooper is younger (rising 28 vs rising 33) and has multiple thousand+ yd seasons on his resume

On the minus side, Cooper brought with him, a $20M cap hit for the next 3 years and in 2020, Beasley did as well or better in Yds/Tgt

37 minutes ago, Steptide said:

I'm all for keeping Bease, just at differently structured contract, assuming he's willing. If give him an intentive laced contract and give him a base salary of like 3 million, with like 500k in incentives and a 1 million signing bonus 

I think there's a mixed record on asking players to take salary cuts. 

Addison seemed to do OK with it as a "contract year".  Morse seemed motivated and energized.  Butler seemed severely demotivated.

I am basing this on nothing but "gut feel", but  despite his talk of money not being a factor for him and he doesn't care if he plays for free, I believe Beasley would fall into the "demotivated" category.

Either cut him, or leave him be

36 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I agree that you don’t have to cut him. I doubt he finds a trade, but his cap hit is fine for what he offers. I doubt he agrees to anything, but the Bills don’t have to move him. 

6.2 yds/target on 112 targets and almost 2/3 of the offensive snaps is not very good production

Just for compariso, click to embiggen.  Y/Target is the 4th number from the right.  The yellow highlighted number is targets (since I had to paste the header in separately)

image.thumb.png.6d2994550f04055c419a121597056b73.png

image.thumb.png.9d081326dec57ea178192a3f3b57674b.png

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

6.2 yds/target on 112 targets and almost 2/3 of the offensive snaps is not very good production

Just for compariso, click to embiggen.  Y/Target is the 4th number from the right.  The yellow highlighted number is targets (since I had to paste the header in separately)

image.thumb.png.6d2994550f04055c419a121597056b73.png

image.thumb.png.9d081326dec57ea178192a3f3b57674b.png

I guess my place is that he isn’t asked to do what some of those others guys do. He is still pretty productive as compared to other slot guys no? He makes a lot less money than a lot of those guys on that list, and some of those guys are stars. I get you though. You can probably plug anybody in that spot and they would give the same ot more production with Josh in there. He has like zero YAC, but that has never been his game. I don’t care if we keep him or not, I don’t mind the number or production, but I do mind if he is being a giant douche behind the scenes. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.