Cole Beasley given permission to seek trade

BillsMafi$

1 minute ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

I mean, I like McK and it was a great game...but all it proves is he had a great game. 

In watching the video-review of that game mentioned above, i thought it also proved that he knows the offense well, knows the reads, and some of those catches were difficult.

1 hour ago, Magox said:

It's nuts how many people are almost to the point of indignant when referring to Beasley.  All he has ever done with the team is come up clutch in hugely important games and has had lots of production.   Yeah, his yards per catch went down but the dude gave it his all and that all was a huge net positive for his team.

I say this with the greatest respect for Beasley's toughness and his willingness to play hurt, but it was a fact that Beas was going down immediately after the catch in the 2nd half of the season (after MIA week 7).  It showed in his first down production, 20 fewer 1sts.

I'm not gonna say that wasn't "giving it his all", because it might  be all and then some of what he had with an injury, but at some point the coaches and the player (if he's team focused) have to say "is my injured all really better than next man up?"

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Shaw66 said:

Yes, but it's a question of dollars.  Moving on from Beas, giving Davis a bigger role and adding a new face can be just as effective, and will cost less or build better the future.  

Night and day. Davis can’t hold a candle to Beasley’s route running -which is way more important to keeping Drives alive.

If Cole leaves, he leaves a huge hole.

• Agree 2

9 minutes ago, Einstein's Dog said:

No I'm hoping Coles money is going to Gronk.

McK and a draft pick are the cheaper, longer term solutions.  Neither of them are in the $6M range.

Completely agree.  As so many have said, Cole will always have a special place in the hearts of Bills fans.  But it is time to go get that Lombardi. Try to land Gronk & McKenzie on reasonable contracts. Then draft a true wr speedster.  Stevenson is not the answer. Sanders will likely be gone too.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Warcodered said:

Also maybe helps get McKenzie to come back.

I really want McKenzie back but i think that the player comments in the Ty Dunne article about McDermott were him. He was def hurt by McDermott's trust comment. I think he moves on. I hope I am wrong though. He's one of my favorite players. 

2 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

Night and day. Davis can’t hold a candle to Beasley’s route running -which is way more important to keeping Drives alive.

I agree it's night and day.  But somewhere, I think in this thread, I just posted that nobody's passing attack, and nobody's receiver room, stays the same for more than a year or two.   It's a constant change, driven by new talent coming up, defenses catching up with what worked last year, and salary cap.  

So, sure, Davis isn't the same kind of possession receiver Beasley is.   But Beasley didn't look nearly as automatic to me in 2021 as he seemed to be in 2020, and the stats seem to bear that out.  His targets were up slightly, his receptions were the same, and his yards were way down.  Allen's not stupid; if whatever it was that was working in 2020 was still working in 2021, we would have seen it.  

Part of the challenge of coaching in the NFL is that every season you need to find new things that work, with the players you have.  Sure, Davis won't make all the catches on short slants Beasley did, but most successful passing teams don't have a Beasley.   He's like Edelman was, only not quite as good.   Most teams don't have a deadly short-pass slot receiver.  

Change is part of the game.  

1 minute ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

I really want McKenzie back but i think that the player comments in the Ty Dunne article about McDermott were him. He was def hurt by McDermott's trust comment. I think he moves on. I hope I am wrong though. He's one of my favorite players. 

Interesting comment.  It could very well be that McD and Beas had a heart-to-heart and agreed that, given what's happened, he'd best move on.  If they did, then I expect the Bills ask in a trade will be low.   If Beas wants to go to a team in the NFC, especially, I wouldn't be surprised if it's for a 6th or 7th.   Bills aren't going to screw him.  Friction or not, they know the guy is a quality guy, and they will treat him right. 

• Agree 2

53 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

2nd call to WGR in last 45 minutes about Antonio brown. 🤡

Did it sound like AB with a voice modulator?

43 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I would like to see Dotson with a good QB. No offense to Nit fans. 

Vaguely think after seeing his highlight reel yesterday that some of his most impressive catches were him helping his QB out.

13 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Two kind of situations where it kind of makes sense is a contender that thinks he's still got it and can put them over the top, or a team with a young QB that want a reliable vet for a year.

12 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Interesting comment.  It could very well be that McD and Beas had a heart-to-heart and agreed that, given what's happened, he'd best move on.  If they did, then I expect the Bills ask in a trade will be low.   If Beas wants to go to a team in the NFC, especially, I wouldn't be surprised if it's for a 6th or 7th.   Bills aren't going to screw him.  Friction or not, they know the guy is a quality guy, and they will treat him right. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 3

Well, change eventually happens to every team. Beasley's skill on the field is hard to replace. For people talking about re-signing McKenzie, I think that ship sailed. He'll end up in NY with Daboll is my bet. We could go after Jamison Crowder, who is 5 years younger than Beasley and just as shifty. Or we could go after Christian Kirk, who we could move around with Diggs into various sets. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, H2o said:

Well, change eventually happens to every team. Beasley's skill on the field is hard to replace. For people talking about re-signing McKenzie, I think that ship sailed. He'll end up in NY with Daboll is my bet. We could go after Jamison Crowder, who is 5 years younger than Beasley and just as shifty. Or we could go after Christian Kirk, who we could move around with Diggs into various sets. 

I wouldn’t be shocked to see him on the Giants to be honest. But I think they likely will wait till Cole is cut. I just don’t see this ending in a trade but stranger things have happened.

3 hours ago, Southern Bills Fan said:

I’m surprised at all the people who want him gone. He made some incredible catches and moves for first downs to keep the chains moving in some important spots. 

I know! I can’t remember the number, but some poster shared it a few weeks back. Beasley had somewhere around 30+ first down receptions. The guy is a chain mover and there’s value in that. 

It will be interesting to see what happens, but knowing Beane, he will get some value out of a trade. 

7 minutes ago, H2o said:

I think Kirk will be priced out of the Bills range. Would love it if it happened but I’m doubtful. 

34 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

Agreed…People under estimate his value here.  

8 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Agreed…People under estimate his value here.  

I don't underestimate his value, if you're talking about on-field value.   Sure, he gets open, he fights, and he makes tough catches.  He runs smart patterns, all of that.   Love him.  But the fact remains that the salary cap is an issue, and cap or not, passing attacks evolve.   It appears the Bills are moving on from Beasley, for probably a variety of reasons.   That doesn't mean they won't miss him; it's just another example of a favorite coaching phrase:  Next man up.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 4

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.