Cole Beasley given permission to seek trade

BillsMafi$

28 minutes ago, Saint Doug said:

His agents know he’ll likely get less on the open market than what he is making now. So it’s in Beasely’s beat interest to secure a trade. The Bills don’t have to accept it though. Lots of moving parts here. The Bills are probably just fairly comfortable cutting him though. The trade request is all Beas. 

Sure, Beasley wants the trades, but will another team agree to it.  It also means the other team is likely taking on a larger salary than if Beasley's a FA, so why would they?

Also does Beasley have anything coming due from the Bills if he were cut tomorrow?    Looks like if he's cut before March 20th, answer is NO??

2 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Zero chance a team wants his contract.

I think this is Beasley's camp knowing he may be a cap casualty or asked to take a salary cut by the Bills, and gauging what market there may be for him at his current deal.

It would be in his interest to find a trade, because I don't think he's going to command what the Bills have contracted him for, on the open market.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/cole-beasley-10318/

He has $4.9k salary with no guarantees

He has $1M in bonuses and $200k workout bonus

So $6.1M overall.  Cap hit is $7.6M

He's sort of in a no-mans-land of "middle class" WR AAV in his contract - just outside the top 32, sandwiched in between some rookies of varying production and a couple of vets (TY Hilton higher, Marvin Jones lower).  He's just ahead of a couple of aging vets, AJ Green and Emmanuel Sanders who got $6M 1 year "help us win!" deals.

He's 33 and while he's an excellent slot, he's never had the track record or reputation of those guys.

IMHO, he didn't like the Bills bringing in Sanders last season.  He wanted to have more of that role and less of the hard hits over the middle.

• Like (+1) 4

2 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Sure, Beasley wants the trades, but will another team agree to it.  It also means the other team is likely taking on a larger salary than if Beasley's a FA, so why would they?

Also does Beasley have anything coming due from the Bills if he were cut tomorrow?    Looks like if he's cut before March 20th, answer is NO??

No known guaranteed money.  Bills save $6.1M if they move on.  Cap hit is $1.5M

Buffalo emphasizes separation and hands over size.  I expect Buffalo to trade Beasley for picks or possibly package him for a player.  With 25 take who ever is left out of Dotson, Oleva or Wilson.  All can play inside or out.  Each very fluid athletes.  I think they will prefer Oleva or Dotson.  

Just now, Mat68 said:

Buffalo emphasizes separation and hands over size.  I expect Buffalo to trade Beasley for picks or possibly package him for a player.  With 25 take who ever is left out of Dotson, Oleva or Wilson.  All can play inside or out.  Each very fluid athletes.  I think they will prefer Oleva or Dotson.  

I would like to see Dotson with a good QB. No offense to Nit fans. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I think this is Beasley's camp knowing he may be a cap casualty or asked to take a salary cut by the Bills, and gauging what market there may be for him at his current deal.

It would be in his interest to find a trade, because I don't think he's going to command what the Bills have contracted him for, on the open market.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/cole-beasley-10318/

He has $4.9k salary with no guarantees

He has $1M in bonuses and $200k workout bonus

So $6.1M overall.  Cap hit is $7.6M

He's sort of in a no-mans-land of "middle class" WR AAV in his contract - just outside the top 32, sandwiched in between some rookies of varying production and a couple of vets (TY Hilton higher, Marvin Jones lower).  He's just ahead of a couple of aging vets, AJ Green and Emmanuel Sanders who got $6M 1 year "help us win!" deals.

He's 33 and while he's an excellent slot, he's never had the track record or reputation of those guys.

IMHO, he didn't like the Bills bringing in Sanders last season.  He wanted to have more of that role and less of the hard hits over the middle.

I could see a team with a young un-proven QB giving him a 2 year deal for around $6m per year, $7-8m in guarantees.  It’s a copycat league.  Teams will see Josh’s development and rightly or wrongly think Cole can help their young QB.  Not crazy to think the Jets or Jags or some other team with a ton of cap room and a young QB would want Beasley.  

2 hours ago, Southern Bills Fan said:

I’m surprised at all the people who want him gone. He made some incredible catches and moves for first downs to keep the chains moving in some important spots. 

I don't "want him gone", but the Bills have to make some hard cap decisions and Beasley obviously thinks well of himself.

Beasley has played hurt for significant games the last 2 seasons.  On the one hand "yea!" on the other hand sometimes I have questioned whether hurt Beasley was in fact >> uninjured McKenzie

Last season, Beasley had as many targets (actually 5 more targets) as the previous year, the same number of receptions, but gained 274 fewer yards and 19 fewer first downs.  That's a significantly diminished production.  I can't remember the same "highlight reel" catches and moves that I saw in 2020. Now that may be the result of nursing an injury and "playing through it", but then that raises the question "can he stay healthy now?"

Father time comes for us all, and I think it may have knocked on the door for the 33 year old Beasley.

2 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Well, the way I saw it - there was two options with Cole Beasley.

1.) He stays with a reduced cap figure through a pay cut or some kind of conversion to bonus (if possible) 

2.) He's released

I'd imagine they approached him about option 1 and that led to him asking for a trade. Under no circumstance were we going to keep him at that number with Diggs and Davis on our roster, our cap situation, and what we need to get done at other positions. Knowing this, I'd doubt a team will trade for him when they know he'll most likely be available for nothing. 

Long story short, Cole Beasley will not be a Bill next year. 

I would have said this, and yet look at what Magic Beane got for Tyrod Taylor and a couple other guys we all said "doubt a team will trade for him"

There's also this - if he's cut, Cole can pick where he goes.  If a team that doesn't have a great situation but has lotsa cap room trades for him, he has to retire or go.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Warcodered said:

I don't know about that, he didn't seem as good this year, but that's compared to how great he was the year before.

He took over the second Dolphins game that was tied 3-3 at the half. I’m not sure we win that game without the monster game he had. I think he had like 11 catches menu for third down conversions.

I’ll say this. If we let Beasley go we sure as hell better re-sign McKenzie. I’m assuming Sanders is gone as well. I really rather not lose three out of our five major contributing WR’s.

2 hours ago, Process said:

I'd imagine his Twitter buddy Mongo will be right behind him out the door

That could happen.   Depends upon if the Bills manage to re-sign or decide to tender Bates I think.  I'm kind of leaning towards the Bills wager Mongo's $500k roster bonus as a hedge against what they do otherwise in the draft, but it'll depend upon a bunch of stuff like who the Bills sign in FA

We tender Bates and sign a good FA guard, he's gone.

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

2nd call to WGR in last 45 minutes about Antonio brown. 🤡

It was the same idiot on both calls. The 1pm-3pm laughed at him so he called bulldog at 3:10 to bring it up again and basically got laughed at again

2 hours ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Can't wait to see his Twitter when he leaves. He's gonna have a meltdown.

No. I like McK. However I don't think he's as popular with the coaches as he is with the fans. And pointing at the defensive players after the KC loss and blasting them on the flight home...he may not be as popular in the locker room, either. Likely just time for both sides to move on.

After that game he had against the Pat's, he certainly has proven his ability as a receiver, though.  That was such a well-played game on his part.

3 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

He took over the second Dolphins game that was tied 3-3 at the half. I’m not sure we win that game without the monster game he had. I think he had like 11 catches menu for third down conversions.

I’ll say this. If we let Beasley go we sure as hell better re-sign McKenzie. I’m assuming Sanders is gone as well. I really rather not lose three out of our five major contributing WR’s.

10 catches on 13 targets for 110 yds.  No question he was "lit" that game.   But he also got "lit up", speared in the ribs, and was not the same the rest of the season, with brief "flashes" in the 2nd half of the Tampa game and the Divisional playoff.

1 minute ago, BuffaloBob said:

After that game he had against the Pat's, he certainly has proven his ability as a receiver, though.  That was such a well-played game on his part.

He’s good against man  Coverage by bad CBs. Cole is a zone buster. They are really different players but the offense just changes depending on who they play. 

2 hours ago, Mark Vader said:

Do not underestimate Beane.

He got a draft pick for Marshall Newhouse.

Agreed. I mean he did get a 5th and 6th from the browns for Wyatt Teller and a 7th. Oh, wait...

Just kidding. I trust Beane.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

He’s good against man  Coverage by bad CBs. Cole is a zone buster. They are really different players but the offense just changes depending on who they play. 

I wasn't comparing him to Cole.  Just saying his performance was great.  I saw the breakdown Cover1 (I think it was them) did on that game and seeing it on film in slow motion was eye-opening to me.  I was at the game, but I thought his work was smart and his effort and execution levels were high.

But, then again, I'm no expert.

Edited by BuffaloBob
  • Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.