Cole Beasley given permission to seek trade

BillsMafi$

24 minutes ago, LyndonvilleBill said:

I totally agree with your second paragraph and wouldn't hate it if he stayed. I just think he's worn out his welcome between the Covid crap, fan statement (booing) and now with permission to look for a trade..? Then add in age and salary? I just don't see him being here. But I do think he was worth it.

TBH, I think fans make a much bigger deal about the Covid and "fan booing" stuff.  I think internally and contrary to his pre-season statements, Beasley made a good-faith effort to comply with the protocols in facility and not be blatant with whatever he did outside the facility.  He deleted his Twitter and calmed down on his Instagram. 

I expect there probably was some frustration on the part of the Bills FO.

I don't think it rose to the level of "deal breaker" IF the Bills felt confident they could get Beasley's 2020 level of performance next year.  I think his performance has fallen off, and the Bills internally have the data to know it in addition to YPC and 1st down data that are out there publicly - the players wear some kind of GPS tracker in their pads and shells, that can track speed and acceleration and so forth and the players and coaches monitor this, Hyde referenced "I'm not the fastest guy but if you look at my GPS I still have something in the tank"

15 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

I just saw a report that states Beasley said Gabe Davis is so good, that he wouldn’t see the field much going forward -as a way of justifying his desire to seek a trade.

I’ve been all over the media now trying to re-locate this, but I’m sure it will come to light soon

Definitely would be interested in that, because while on the one hand, Daboll has said that Davis can play any WR role, I don't recall seeing him in the slot very much and I don't think of him as that shifty, agile guy who can always find the gap in the zone and get open.  It was fun watching him break ankles a few times, but those were on deeper routes.

OTOH someone posted a tweet that the Bills are trying to bring McKenzie back, and that might be a factor as well since McKenzie did a fine job getting open vs man at the end of the season, and also runs those reverses and sweeps and even took some handoffs, roles where they don't use Beasley.

It might also be that Davis would keep Beasley from moving beyond the slot, and that's something he wants to do.

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Shaw66 said:

Most people in this thread, including you, seem to agree that whatever anyone things of him, it looks like your combination of factors means he's gone.

Maybe I should save it until after he's gone, but if we look back two years and think about what we expected of him the day the Bills signed Beasley and what the Bills got of him, it definitely was a great move by Beane.   Beasley outperformed my expectations, for sure, and I doubt there are many people whose expectations were so high for him that he underperformed.  He was worth the investment.  

It was a great fit initially...........but I think that's Beasley's deal........everything is "the greatest ever" at first but after he settles in he just naturally gets disenchanted.    Covid was just a conduit that ramped up that self destructive tendency, IMO.   I've known people like that so I had that concern that this would be a short run when I saw how irrationally he treated Dallas after he left.   His struggles with staying happy are a big theme in his relatively emo rap lyrics as well.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

I'm sure parting ways was a mutual decision. I don't want to make an issue of the vax drama involving him, but to say it has no impact on the Bills decision would not be honest. I think Beane was pretty clear how he felt about it and got some heat from the NFL for it. Regardless of where covid stands now his decision weighed on the matter for sure. Add the other obvious reasons, salary, age etc. and its not hard to understand the Bills position.

On the other side, I'm sure Cole also has some lingering and less than glowing feelings about the whole situation too. I'm sure he also feels he's worth every bit of his 2023 salary. He see's Davis and Knox hears about our interest in Gronk and adding speed etc. and he know's his touches aren't going up. I like Cole, but he could probably use a fresh start somehwere. 

Edited by babulator

17 hours ago, Preds said:

Seems like the Giants are the perfect trading partner.

Package Beasley and a 5th or 6th to Jersey for Saquon.  Saquan is reportedly worth a 4th, so Beas and a later pick seems right.  Daboll needs Beas to help Jones.   

It makes no sense for the Giants to offload Barkley's $7.2 million cap hit, only to take on Beasley's $7.6 million cap hit. And whatever Daboll has said publicly I don't think he cares to help Daniel Jones. They're going to do what's right for the long term future of the organization.

I think the Giants hired Daboll and Schoen with the understanding that they're going to do what the Bills did in 2017, offload as many bad contracts as possible even if it means swallowing a bunch of dead cap this year. Daniel Jones is their version of Tyrod Taylor - if he rises to the occasion, great; if not, they will have accumulated as much draft capital as possible to get their guy in 2023.

I could see Beasley going to the Giants if the Bills just cut him, Daboll will want some of his guys there to implement his culture and scheme. But if a trade happens it will likely be to a team who thinks their offense is ready to win now. Green Bay actually makes a lot of sense, all Rodgers/Beasley jokes aside.

1 hour ago, Nextmanup said:

So much for Beane saying "Oh I have every reason to expect him to be back next season" or however he put it...

Not an unexpected statement from any angle one might view it, our FO keeps its business house, just another one of the many reasons Buffalo is considered one of the best run teams in the league. 

I'll always be grateful for his time here.  The off-field stuff was a distraction, but he was so tough & made so many big plays, especially on 3rd down.  He brought a great attitude, on every single play.

A great Bill.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

I just saw a report that states Beasley said Gabe Davis is so good, that he wouldn’t see the field much going forward -as a way of justifying his desire to seek a trade.

I’ve been all over the media now trying to re-locate this, but I’m sure it will come to light soon

Wonder if that is code for, going to run more

12 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

It makes no sense for the Giants to offload Barkley's $7.2 million cap hit, only to take on Beasley's $7.6 million cap hit. And whatever Daboll has said publicly I don't think he cares to help Daniel Jones. They're going to do what's right for the long term future of the organization.

I think the Giants hired Daboll and Schoen with the understanding that they're going to do what the Bills did in 2017, offload as many bad contracts as possible even if it means swallowing a bunch of dead cap this year. Daniel Jones is their version of Tyrod Taylor - if he rises to the occasion, great; if not, they will have accumulated as much draft capital as possible to get their guy in 2023.

I could see Beasley going to the Giants if the Bills just cut him, Daboll will want some of his guys there to implement his culture and scheme. But if a trade happens it will likely be to a team who thinks their offense is ready to win now. Green Bay actually makes a lot of sense, all Rodgers/Beasley jokes aside.

I was thing about giants too. Trade for Barkley straight up? 

All the best to Beas.  He played great, gave it his all while toughing it out thru injuries.  He also was a key part of Josh's development.

At this point though, our offense is ready to take it to another level.  To do that, we need more speed/playmakers, who can create more YAC and get additional deep routes incorporated. 

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

It's a good question "does Daboll intend to try to develop Daniel Jones?"

I guess we'll have one answer in when the deadline to pick up his 4th year option approaches.

I don't think it's impossible.  Jones rookie year stats were basically close to being a QB one can win with, under Shurmur/Shula.  He didn't look as good under Jason Garrett/Freddie Kitchens.  It's quite possible (IMO) that Daboll looked at him and said "this might be a guy we can work with". 

If that's the case, then it would make a lot of sense to give him a couple savvy vet WR

It's also going to be interesting what sort of system Daboll runs.  Shurmur/Shula run nominally a WCO terminology/system, but it's not a precision timing based system.  Same is true of Kafka (Daboll's OC) coming from KC.

5 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

So much for Beane saying "Oh I have every reason to expect him to be back next season" or however he put it...

He said he anticipated Beasely would be back.  But like I said at the time, anticipate and will are two different words.  Beasely leaving was probable given age, contract and cap issues.

If Beane were telling the whole truth he would have said he anticipated Beasely being back if he takes a pay cut.

5 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

If we get Gronk, that's a lot of 2 WR, 2 TE sets. Beasley is correct.

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

It's a good question "does Daboll intend to try to develop Daniel Jones?"

I guess we'll have one answer in when the deadline to pick up his 4th year option approaches.

I don't think it's impossible.  Jones rookie year stats were basically close to being a QB one can win with, under Shurmur/Shula.  He didn't look as good under Jason Garrett/Freddie Kitchens.  It's quite possible (IMO) that Daboll looked at him and said "this might be a guy we can work with". 

If that's the case, then it would make a lot of sense to give him a couple savvy vet WR

It's also going to be interesting what sort of system Daboll runs.  Shurmur/Shula run nominally a WCO terminology/system, but it's not a precision timing based system.  Same is true of Kafka (Daboll's OC) coming from KC.

I would suspect that Daboll will run the same offense that he ran here.

That may not be good for Jones to learn a new offense. 

Also giants offensive line is horrible 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.