Cole Beasley given permission to seek trade

BillsMafi$

3 minutes ago, ndirish1978 said:

This wording could mean something or might not. Perhaps this came out of left field from Cole and he wants out or perhaps it was in response to a request for a salary restructure. 

Could be in response to us approaching him about taking less or he could just be reading the tea leaves..

Last year of his deal.  

Rumored interest in a legitimate TE2

Verified interest in Jameson Williams, a slot WR 

Beasley is an asset to the team. He knows the system and makes clutch plays in critical situations. That will be difficult to replace. Letting him go won't make the team better. It will be difficult to replace him with a better quality slot guy. Not impossible but difficult. I'm hoping Beasley stays. 

Edited by newcam2012
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 4

I'm assuming Beane is playing hardball on Beasley's contract. Beasley has been getting disgruntled through last year and unless he redoes his deal that's cap space we need.

My money is on the idea that Beane wants to have Beasley test his market value. If there are no takers, or only a late round pick, Beasley knows his market. If someone goes out and drops serious draft capital that frees up cap space, all the better.

4 minutes ago, Allen2Diggs said:

I remember there used to be a notion that receivers don't fully adjust to the NFL until their 3rd season. Now we  consistently have rookies amongst the receiving leaders.

Bills were hoping Stevenson might flash, and maybe they think he still will.  Point is, as you say, it's easier to flash early.  All it takes is speed and the right mental approach in the player, and coaching.  The Chiefs have shown that with Mahomes, Kelce and Hill, Reid can plug and play inexperienced speed and get good performance.  Rams can too.  Bucs.  

The truth is that most starters in the NFL are in danger of losing their jobs every year.  There's always another guy coming along who isn't exactly the same but who brings value and costs less.  

It's a brutal business.  

3 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

The guy has never played like Kupp.  If he had that kind of talent, we would have seen it by now.  Love him, great role player, but he is a role player.  Some team that thinks they have a one-year window might bite, a team that sees him as the crucial final piece for the receiver room.  But not a team that is building for the long term.  

Beasley  112 targets,  82 catches

Cupp      191 targets,  145 catches

I don't think Beasley is as good as Cupp either, but if you put Beasley on an offense and make an effort to get him the ball every game he will easily have 100+ catches out of the slot.  We had entire games where Beasley wasn't a part of the game plan at all.   I still think Beasley has a few really good seasons left in him.   I hate that he's leaving but understand the business side of it too.

I wish him well.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1

1 hour ago, Southern Bills Fan said:

I’m surprised at all the people who want him gone. He made some incredible catches and moves for first downs to keep the chains moving in some important spots. 

Yea I don’t get it myself……he’s been rock solid the past 3 seasons for us.

• Agree 4

5 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

It’d be better for Beasley if he was cut than traded.  That tells me the Bills aren’t asking for a re-structure because then Beasley would just say cut me.   

It could mean that. But giving permission to seek a trade means giving permission to see what kind of new contract other teams are willing to offer. Just for the sake of example, maybe the Bills said we'd like to keep you this year but only for $2 mil. Beas may have said, I think I can do better on the market, but if not maybe I'll agree to stick around for that much. At which point then the Bills say go ahead. Two mil is all we're going to pay. If you can get $3 mil someplace else and all we get is a 7th for you, that's still better than us just cutting you so go for it and let us know. Just don't take too long.

He could say just cut me. But then he might get a deal for $3 mil. But he might also only get a deal for $1.5 mil. Then nobody's happy. This way it gives a chance for something that can benefit both parties or can still be resolved between them depending on the numbers.

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Beasley  112 targets,  82 catches

Cupp      191 targets,  145 catches

I don't think Beasley is as good as Cupp either, but if you put Beasley on an offense and make an effort to get him the ball every game he will easily have 100+ catches out of the slot.  We had entire games where Beasley wasn't a part of the game plan at all.   I still think Beasley has a few really good seasons left in him.   I hate that he's leaving but understand the business side of it too.

I wish him well.

Beasley's separation diminished this year. 

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Like the saying goes....be careful what you wish for.

Beasely is a polarizing figure given his politcal/vaccination stance and comments but he's still a top 5 player in terms of slot receiver in this league and I still think he was somewhat under utilized in the offense despite the ridiculous numbers he's posted.

So unless there is a real plan to replace him not named Isaiah McKenzie I wouldn't want to release or trade him in a hasty move.

• Agree 1
  • Dislike 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.