Cole Beasley given permission to seek trade

BillsMafi$

8 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

Yes, but it's a question of dollars.  Moving on from Beas, giving Davis a bigger role and adding a new face can be just as effective, and will cost less or build better the future.  

I agree, It’s better to let talent go early than to keep that talent past its prime, SOP for our former nemesis, the pats, it’s just smart business , when you are in it for the long haul, as the Bills are. 

Go Bills!!’

12 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Not an unfair assessment.  But through it all, his stubborn toughness is what stands out, and I'll always admire him for that. 

No doubt he's a gamer between the lines but the combination of diminishing skills, expensive contract and being unhappy for the past year in Buffalo necessitates a change.

I don't think we want to see what Cole Beasley looks like AFTER accepting a pay cut in exchange for some guarantees.

He might pluck another tooth out,  write a rap song about how racist Buffalo is to get Beane to cut him or pull a Richie Incognito and retire when it's too late to replace him.

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

12 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Well, the way I saw it - there was two options with Cole Beasley.

1.) He stays with a reduced cap figure through a pay cut or some kind of conversion to bonus (if possible) 

2.) He's released

I'd imagine they approached him about option 1 and that led to him asking for a trade. Under no circumstance were we going to keep him at that number with Diggs and Davis on our roster, our cap situation, and what we need to get done at other positions. Knowing this, I'd doubt a team will trade for him when they know he'll most likely be available for nothing. 

Long story short, Cole Beasley will not be a Bill next year. 

That’s assuming only one team wants him.  I’m sure there’s a few teams who could use him.  In that case one of those teams tries to trade for him to make sure they get him.  

Depends how badly those teams want him.  Maybe they’re  willing to let him get released and try to outbid the other teams.   We’ll see soon enough.

Edited by purple haze

12 hours ago, Southern Bills Fan said:

I’m surprised at all the people who want him gone. He made some incredible catches and moves for first downs to keep the chains moving in some important spots. 

His first down %/trgt is the lowest among all Bills wrs.

Allen's passer rating when targeting Beasley is the lowest among all Bills wrs. 

He'll be 33 this year.

Goodbye Cole

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Turk71 said:

His first down %/trgt is the lowest among all Bills wrs.

Allen's passer rating when targeting Beasley is the lowest among all Bills wrs. 

He'll be 33 this year.

Goodbye Cole

I woudn't disagree that age, recent injury history, and decline in 1st downs and yds/tgt between 2020 and 2021 combined with the need to make cap decisions make it reasonable to ask if Beasley is on the downward slope and it might be time to move on.

I'm curious what "passer rating when targeting Beasley" means - where is this info available?  how is it calculated?

The thing is, if it's somehow trying to look at incompletions, sacks, interceptions etc when targeting a WR ....Beasley IS the slot guy, and he DOES run option routes so by the nature of his job description, if he and Josh aren't on the same page, Picks gonna Happen.

Beasley has one of the higher completion % of the Bills WR, and by nature of often being the guy with the shallow routes, has a harder grind to get 1st downs.

I think he can still play and is a genius at getting open vs. zone.  But hard cap choices do have to be made.

2 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

No doubt he's a gamer between the lines but the combination of diminishing skills, expensive contract and being unhappy for the past year in Buffalo necessitates a change.

I don't think we want to see what Cole Beasley looks like AFTER accepting a pay cut in exchange for some guarantees.

I agree with the folks upthread who say Beasley wouldn't accept a paycut.  He thinks too highly of his professional skills.

• Like (+1) 1

I wouldn't mind one more season, just not at that price tag.  Especially if you are thinking they are adding another solid TE to the mix. Entertaining the Gronkowski myth for a second, he'd be TE #2 on the field because you aren't taking Knox off.  That takes your slot WR off the field more often which means you can't pay the slot WR as much money whether it's Beasley or McKenzie or whoever.

Crowder will be too expensive and is hurt a lot. Berrios is hurt more than Crowder and has a much shorter resume. I could be tempted to look at Zach Pascal for the right amount of money.

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I woudn't disagree that age, recent injury history, and decline in 1st downs and yds/tgt between 2020 and 2021 combined with the need to make cap decisions make it reasonable to ask if Beasley is on the downward slope and it might be time to move on.

I'm curious what "passer rating when targeting Beasley" means - where is this info available?  how is it calculated?

The thing is, if it's somehow trying to look at incompletions, sacks, interceptions etc when targeting a WR ....Beasley IS the slot guy, and he DOES run option routes so by the nature of his job description, if he and Josh aren't on the same page, Picks gonna Happen.

Beasley has one of the higher completion % of the Bills WR, and by nature of often being the guy with the shallow routes, has a harder grind to get 1st downs.

I think he can still play and is a genius at getting open vs. zone.  But hard cap choices do have to be made.

Advanced receiving stats at Pro Football Reference 

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2021/receiving_advanced.htm Passer rating when targeted is simply the total results of Beasley's targets using whatever the passer rating formula is.

I think he's still good enough to play a couple more years. I just think because of a combination of many factors it won't be on the Bills. I don't see it as any major loss either at this point in his career. He had a good career resurgence in Buffalo and I think it was a good move for both sides. Time to move on imo.

• Agree 1

Beasley was our Kelce this year and last year, the guy who always got open and moved the chains.  Of course Kelce is also a bigger downfield threat, but they had the same role when it came to first downs.  

I think the Bills are trying to sign Gronk and use Gronk as the chain mover.  He's not very elusive but he's a reliable catcher, and he can still get downfield.  And, he's a much better blocker than Beasley, so if the run game is going to get improved this would be a good step.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Turk71 said:

Advanced receiving stats at Pro Football Reference 

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2021/receiving_advanced.htm Passer rating when targeted is simply the total results of Beasley's targets using whatever the passer rating formula is.

I think he's still good enough to play a couple more years. I just think because of a combination of many factors it won't be on the Bills. I don't see it as any major loss either at this point in his career. He had a good career resurgence in Buffalo and I think it was a good move for both sides. Time to move on imo.

IIRC as the season progressed Beasley wasn’t seeing the field much against man heavy teams.  He was on it and still effective against zone heavy defenses, but that isn’t enough.  That’s when I knew they wouldn’t bring him back in 2022 (unless it was due to him playing with an injury).  

19 hours ago, frostbitmic said:

Two happy meals with shamrock shakes.

Sadly, it was a shamrock shake that confirmed for me that I am lactose intolerant. I loved those things. If I an unexpectedly in a situation where I get a last meal before frying in the electric chair, I will have a shamrock shake as one of my beverage choices (assuming the authorities give me more than one, I will mull over single barrel bourbon choices in my cell before settling on a final selection).

• Sad 1

54 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

Sadly, it was a shamrock shake that confirmed for me that I am lactose intolerant. I loved those things. If I an unexpectedly in a situation where I get a last meal before frying in the electric chair, I will have a shamrock shake as one of my beverage choices (assuming the authorities give me more than one, I will mull over single barrel bourbon choices in my cell before settling on a final selection).

LactAid?

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

I agree, It’s better to let talent go early than to keep that talent past its prime, SOP for our former nemesis, the pats, it’s just smart business , when you are in it for the long haul, as the Bills are. 

Go Bills!!’

Yes, it's better to give up old talent too early than to keep it too long. 

And it's better to keep young talent too long than to give up on it too early.   

That's why Beas is going and Stevenson is staying.  

That philosophy is going to give you second thoughts sometimes, like if Beas wins a ring somewhere else next season, but more often than not, it's the right philosophy.

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

He might pluck another tooth out,  write a rap song about how racist Buffalo is to get Beane to cut him or pull a Richie Incognito and retire when it's too late to replace him.

Most people in this thread, including you, seem to agree that whatever anyone things of him, it looks like your combination of factors means he's gone.

Maybe I should save it until after he's gone, but if we look back two years and think about what we expected of him the day the Bills signed Beasley and what the Bills got of him, it definitely was a great move by Beane.   Beasley outperformed my expectations, for sure, and I doubt there are many people whose expectations were so high for him that he underperformed.  He was worth the investment.  

• Agree 3

4 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Most people in this thread, including you, seem to agree that whatever anyone things of him, it looks like your combination of factors means he's gone.

Maybe I should save it until after he's gone, but if we look back two years and think about what we expected of him the day the Bills signed Beasley and what the Bills got of him, it definitely was a great move by Beane.   Beasley outperformed my expectations, for sure, and I doubt there are many people whose expectations were so high for him that he underperformed.  He was worth the investment.  

I totally agree with your second paragraph and wouldn't hate it if he stayed. I just think he's worn out his welcome between the Covid crap, fan statement (booing) and now with permission to look for a trade..? Then add in age and salary? I just don't see him being here. But I do think he was worth it.

14 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I'm really wondering if Beasley wants to go to the Giants and Daboll wants to bring him there. 

I believe an under-appreciated part of Beasley's contribution was to constantly be in Josh's ear in 2019 telling him "you can't wait until I'm open, you have to throw it with anticipation".  I'm sure Josh heard it from his coaches, but hearing it from a fellow player who says whatever the football player speak for "*****, that's a completion if you throw it before I turn, to the spot we expect I'll be"

Daboll may want a couple of savvy vet WR who can help develop Daniel Jones in a similar way.  I'm not sure they have that guy on their roster.

The Giants don't have the cap right now, but if they're willing to sign Beas to a 2 year deal with a void year, they could theoretically raise his AAV, drop his cap hit, and maybe trade a player back they might otherwise cut.

But that would be the sort of thing where the parties don't want to wait, hence "seek permission" to avoid "tampering"

• Like (+1) 1

I just saw a report that states Beasley said Gabe Davis is so good, that he wouldn’t see the field much going forward -as a way of justifying his desire to seek a trade.

I’ve been all over the media now trying to re-locate this, but I’m sure it will come to light soon

Edited by Chandler#81
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.