So it's the Washington Commanders now?

stuvian

8 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

In a time when sports teams and culture in general is becoming more sensitive toward stereotypical names and imagery around indigenous people, Im shocked that Kansas City can still do their pre-game drum ceremony and the tomahawk chop.  Not to mention the fact that fans are dressed like native Americans chiefs.  

For the life one me, I can’t figure out how this is acceptable.  It’s one thing to say that a name like “Chief” or “Brave” is a tribute…it’s another to essentially parody aspects of their culture.  

Why do you think Native Americans don't want people to appreciate or celebrate representation? This whole notion that people want a multicultural society but want cultures segregated is ridiculous. Notre Dame also had a black student be their leprechaun mascot, so do you find that off limits too? It's part and parcel of different cultures living with each other and embracing one another. 

Native Americans have a rich history and culture of being feared warriors, nothing wrong with embracing that, it's not being mocked and disparaged, it's being embraced.

I hope the Chiefs keep their embracement, and every indication is that they will, good for them.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 2

Professional sports is going overboard with names guaranteed to not offend any group.  First, the Cleveland Guardians and now the Washington Commanders?  Just when I thought Kraken was the worst possible team name. 

So, is it Dustmop or Matty the Mod who will be the team mascot for the Commanders?  If you're under 35 years old and didn't grow up with Buffalo children's programming, you probably have no idea what this is all about. Sorry.

1 minute ago, SoMAn said:

Professional sports is going overboard with names guaranteed to not offend any group.  First, the Cleveland Guardians and now the Washington Commanders?  Just when I thought Kraken was the worst possible team name. 

So, is it Dustmop or Matty the Mod who will be the team mascot for the Commanders?  If you're under 35 years old and didn't grow up with Buffalo children's programming, you probably have no idea what this is all about. Sorry.

1 minute ago, SoMAn said:

with Kraken you have marketing in

onKrak

being Kraked up

46 minutes ago, Southern_Bills said:

It's Dre that was part of "F the police". Not sure Snoop ever made a cop killer lyric song. 

Not wholesome lyrics so I get the point.

deep cover

"cause its one-eight-seven on a undercover cop"

187 being the california penal code section for murder, and rap slang generally for murder.

48 minutes ago, Southern_Bills said:

It's Dre that was part of "F the police". Not sure Snoop ever made a cop killer lyric song. 

Not wholesome lyrics so I get the point.

Plus, It's entertainment.  Do people get mad at violence in movies?

8 minutes ago, djp14150 said:

with Kraken you have marketing in

onKrak

being Kraked up

Kraken is only one of 10 teams in sports whose names don't end in "s" unless I am missing a team.

NBA...Heat, Magic, Thunder, Jazz

NHL...Lightning, Avalanche, Wild, Kraken

MLB...Red Sox, White Sox

Every NFL team's name ends in "s"...Bills, Patriots, Dolphins, Jets, etc etc

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, HOUSE said:

Seemed like morning to me....lol

Buffalo History Lesson:

Dave Thomas, Promo The Robot, and Mr Beeper in the morning on Rocket Ship 7. 

Commander Tom Show with Dust-mop, and Matty the Mod were on after school. 

Erv, Rick, and Tom - Channel 7 News Team. 

1 minute ago, badassgixxer05 said:

I mean im not exactly their fan base. lol Can bet if the Bills decided to change their name for some PC BS Id be out. Think we are safe though... hopefully...

Don’t be so sure. Bill Cosby is quite the controversial figure these days. 

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Homey D. Clown said:

I don't know why they couldn't come up with a way to keep the original logo.  Why was using a heritage image of a native american wrong?  That's where all of this goes full Karen for me.  Total bull feces.

Redskins a derogatory term?  really?  If so, when, like 200 years ago?  Fine.  I'll concede that one.  The logo is offensive?  How is that even possible?  All of this is really sad.  Take a look at Mutual of Omaha's new logo.  It was a Native American image, please, oh please wise Karens, how was that remotely offensive?  

I think several hundred thousand Native Americans would disagree with you buddy.  It’s their heritage not yours.  Why don’t you just leave that to them?  Your ignorance is astonishing. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Dislike 1

1 minute ago, Apocalypse Nuts said:

I think several hundred thousand Native Americans would disagree with you buddy.  It’s their heritage not yours.  Why don’t you just leave that to them?  Your ignorance is astonishing. 

They don't pay US taxes but they can decide US sports team names.... Got it... (I'm part native btw)

• Eyeroll 1

Well i guess they are trying to go with that name because of the city & the people in charge there but i bet there are a lot of other names they could come up with if that is the premise & commanders isn't the first on that comes to mind . 🤔

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.