Bills request to interview Tee Martin for OC Job

17islongenough

12 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Why not?

Finally someone asking the question that should be asked.  :beer:

Have people on TBD ever hired before?  It's great to have a target you might hire, but never hurts to interview a group of candidates with diverse skill sets and backgrounds...

• Like (+1) 7
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, LeGOATski said:

It's not. Even if that's the situation, at the very least it's interview practice. They're getting visibility and experience where they might otherwise have not.

Correct.  And it gets their foot in the door.  Even if they don't get hired, if they interview well, word will get around to other GMs around the league.  Rooney Rule is a win/win for the league and it's minority coaches.

4 minutes ago, Bruffalo said:

Of all the Ravens positional groups, WR has consistently been their worst.  I don't know how I feel about this even if it's just a feeler interview.

Martin's only been there for one season.  And Marquise Brown did just put up his best season as a pro by a fairly wide margin.  

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

7 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

Hey Mr Minority Candidate….Waste your time preparing for an interview for a job you are never going to get, so we can tick this box..

It may not be a waste of time, even if Dorsey is the guy. If he interviews well, he could get a look at being the QB Coach/Passing Game Coordinator to replace Dorsey.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

1 minute ago, TheBrownBear said:

Correct.  And it gets their foot in the door.  Even if they don't get hired, if they interview well, word will get around to other GMs around the league.  Rooney Rule is a win/win for the league and it's minority coaches.

Exactly.  Also, Beane and McDermott are the type of guys who wouldn't just interview any "Rooney rule" candidate without choosing the best

on their lists.  People on this board throw around a lot of stuff about the Bills top brass but they are meticulous and well meaning.  It's one of

the reasons I put as much faith in them as I do.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Tee Martin is going to be a very good coach in this league. Very smart dude, who played the QB position and was learning to play QB side by side and behind Peyton Manning. Honestly, I don't hate the idea. He is also working under Greg Roman, so maybe he can integrate some of those run game concepts here. He is a rising star and I think the interview is warranted. It scares me for sure, but I like the process. 

Agree with this. There is no obvious connection with our staff which means this is purely the Bills have identified him as an up and coming coach they have interest in possibly hiring. 

Now I think Dorsey remains the clubhouse leader but this is the Bills doing the Rooney Rule properly. Don't waste it on a guy you are never gonna hire to fulfill the rule... use it to interview a guy you have identified as a rising star. Maybe he doesn't get the job this time but what is to say Dorsey doesn't get the job Allen is the MVP and this time next year Dorsey is a Head Coach. Maybe then you go back and say "man we really liked Tee Martin, let's give him a shot."

• Like (+1) 12

Just now, ColoradoBills said:

Exactly.  Also, Beane and McDermott are the type of guys who wouldn't just interview any "Rooney rule" candidate without choosing the best

on their lists.  People on this board throw around a lot of stuff about the Bills top brass but they are meticulous and well meaning.  It's one of

the reasons I put as much faith in them as I do.

Many people are saying great things about Tee Martin.

• Like (+1) 3

14 minutes ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

Rooney rule seems like a slap in face as much as it looks like the right thing to do on the surface.  Hey come on and interview so we can promote this guy on staff already.  

I have mixed feelings.  I'd hate to be the candidate of color who's there just to fulfill a requirement in a situation where the organization has already decided on someone else.

But it does give folks interview practice as LeGOATski pointed out.  

It also gives McD and Beane a chance to get to know Tee Martin.   That could pay dividends down the road for both sides.  

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tee_Martin

good read. I didn’t know anything about him but now I’m intrigued.

Played QB. Was a backup for Peyton Manning in college. Then had success as a starter. Led his team to a national championship. Then played in the NFL, NFL Europe and CFL.

He also has a long history as a college coach. He’s been a QB coach, WR coach, OC, asst. HC. He’s only been the ravens Wr coach since 2021.

There’s also a Matt Barkley connection:

https://www.sbnation.com/ncaa-football/2012/2/15/2801407/tee-martin-hired-usc-football-wide-receiver-coach

Edited by BillsFan4

2 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

I have mixed feelings.  I'd hate to be the candidate of color who's there just to fulfill a requirement in a situation where the organization has already decided on someone else.

But it does give folks interview practice as LeGOATski pointed out.  

It also gives McD and Beane a chance to get to know Tee Martin.   That could pay dividends down the road for both sides.  

Still a better position to be in than all the other assistant coaches who didnt even get a call or an interview.

The folks in here talking about interview experience and networking are exactly right.

This is ALL benefiting the candidates. There is literally no downside for them. Tee Martin isnt doing anything else right now.

• Like (+1) 3

Don’t discount that Martin may also share an agent with someone else the Bills want to do something with and this helps get Martin’s name out there. 

Just now, Mat68 said:

Think outside the box.  Buffalo has to stay creative with the offense.  The job will be highly sought after.   No issue at all talking to people they feel are talented.

Their coaching staff also needs to be more diverse. Keeping frazier will help but look at the offensive side. Might only be the RB coach.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Jim Bob said:

No pain, no Lane! 

41 minutes ago, Allen2Diggs said:

Considering he only coached in the NFL for one year as a wr coach and he was never an offensive coordinator for a college team, I don't believe he is being seriously considered and he may have been brought in to satisfy the Rooney rule:

The rule has been expanded to require teams to interview at least two external minority candidates for general manager/executive of football operations positions and all coordinator roles

This is incorrect. Spent 3 seasons as OC for USC. 

2nd bolded is also incorrect. For coordinator spots it's 1 external minority candidate.

39 minutes ago, ToGoGo said:

Another example of the joke that the Rooney rule is. But let's all pretend it's great for America, or something. 

It worked out well for the Steelers.

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2018/9/20/17877960/the-steelers-didnt-hire-mike-tomlin-because-of-the-rooney-rule-dan-rooney-nfl-roger-goodell-race-nfl

When the Steelers went searching for qualified candidates following Bill Cowher’s resignation, Ron Rivera, the Chargers’ linebackers coach, and Tomlin were two minority candidates that were brought to the Rooneys’ attention because of the aforementioned rule.

However, after interviewing Rivera, that pretty much satisfied the obligation for the new rule. Yet, the Steelers went ahead and interviewed Tomlin, anyway, a man who, as Mr. Rooney put it in his book, Dan Rooney: My 75 Years With the Pittsburgh Steelers and the NFL, “blew our doors off.”

Here was a young man that came out of nowhere and was suddenly one of the top candidates to be the Steelers’ third head coach since 1969.

You might say Tomlin benefited from the rule by having his talents brought to light, but that was the whole point.

What the Rooney Rule did for minority coaching candidates was similar to what the late and legendary Bill Nunn did by scouting the mostly neglected small, black colleges in the late-60’s and early-70’s: it expanded the talent pool.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Tee Martin actually has more experience in coaching than Dorsey does. He’s been coaching for 15 years and has been a QB coach, WR coach, offensive coordinator and asst. HC.

Dorsey has been coaching about 1/2 as long and has been a QB coach with carolina and Buffalo. So if everyone feels he’s qualified, I don’t get why you’d laugh at Tee Martin being interviewed and/or write it off as just some Rooney rule thing.

1 minute ago, FarrellsFinest said:

The guy is getting bashed as if he dosent even deserve a interview when he litterally has more experince than Ken Dorsey.

Exactly. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I don't think this is a Rooney rule interview imo, they could have interviewed any candidates they wanted to. Obviously coaches know way more than we do about coaches who are ready for an upgrade. I'm not going to act like I know if he's done anything great or not but the Bills respected him enough to give him the first crack at an interview. 

Also a fun side note on Tee Martin.... He is the father of GB rookie WR Amari Rogers who changed his name to his moms maiden name so he could get offers on his own without using his Dad's name who's pretty highly regarded in the College community for what he did at Tennessee.

Edited by BuffaloBillsGospel

10 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

Tee Martin actually has more experience in coaching than Dorsey does. He’s been coaching for 15 years and has been a QB coach, WR coach, offensive coordinator and asst. HC.

Dorsey has been coaching about 1/2 as long and has been a QB coach with carolina and Buffalo. So if everyone feels he’s qualified, I don’t get why you’d laugh at Tee Martin being interviewed and/or write it off as just some Rooney rule thing.

Exactly. 

Not only that bit at least Tee has experience in the OC chair and calling plays. It may have been at the NCAA level but it's experience Dorsey doesn't have on his resume yet.

He coached Hollywood Brown to his 1st 1,000 yard seasons this year. Wonder what he could do with Gabe?

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Don’t discount that Martin may also share an agent with someone else the Bills want to do something with and this helps get Martin’s name out there. 

Their coaching staff also needs to be more diverse. Keeping frazier will help but look at the offensive side. Might only be the RB coach.

I’ll take competency over diversity. I’m just sick of the trope that people of color aren’t as qualified or smart as. 

Edited by Solomon Grundy
  • Vomit 1

11 minutes ago, BuffaloBillsGospel said:

I don't think this is a Rooney rule interview imo, they could have interviewed any candidates they wanted to. Obviously coaches know way more than we do about coaches who are ready for an upgrade. I'm not going to act like I know if he's done anything great or not but the Bills respected him enough to give him the first crack at an interview. 

Also a fun side note on Tee Martin.... He is the father of GB rookie WR Amari Rogers who changed his name to his moms maiden name so he could get offers on his own without using his Dad's name who's pretty highly regarded in the College community for what he did at Tennessee.

Yeah, Tee Martin followed Payton Manning at Tennessee and was the starting QB on the 1998 BCS champions. 

20 minutes ago, Bray Wyatt said:

The fact that no one here even thought of this guy, but our staff had him identified, he has more experience than Dorsey, and appears to be an up and comer says a lot about our FO and how in tune they are with the rest of the league imo

Well, I’d expect the FO of an NFL franchise to be more wired in to the rest of the league than Joe Fan on a message board. Nothing earth shattering here. 

1 hour ago, Allen2Diggs said:

Considering he only coached in the NFL for one year as a wr coach and he was never an offensive coordinator for a college team, I don't believe he is being seriously considered and he may have been brought in to satisfy the Rooney rule:

The rule has been expanded to require teams to interview at least two external minority candidates for general manager/executive of football operations positions and all coordinator roles

From what I see on wiki, he was the OC/WR coach for 3 years at USC. He’s worked with some great coaches, the Bills could do a lot worse. I can’t say for sure whether I would hire him or not until I see the other candidates.

Edited by Victory Formation
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.