Free Agents - who do you like?

Desert Bills Fan

Looking at UFAs, as of right now. 
some of my rational:

- area where Bills could use an upgrade.

- under 30 years old

- producing at a high level. 
- not the highest priced.

- good availability (or have a reason why an oft injured or contract year wonder would be a good idea) 

RB: Leonard Fornette from TB. Formidable weapon running and catching. 

CB: JC Jackson from NE. Active. Lots of tackles and 8 interceptions.

Inside LB: Kwon Alexander from NO. Good at rushing the QB too.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

Ehhhh I think all those guys will get paid

pretty well.

Bills currently only have just under 10 million in cap space. A few key releases and restructure could put them in the low 20s but they’ll be hard pressed to get higher than that. Remember, anyone they cut you have to replace. Can you ink a WR coming off 82 catches for 6.5 million? Probably not. Can you find a solid/good OG like Williams, a guy who plays all 4 OL spots at the drop of a hat, for cheaper than the 7 he’ll make next year? Again, probably not.

The FAs Id like to see are our own. Get Harrison Phillips, Ryan Bates, Levi Wallace under contract. 

Edited by TheyCallMeAndy
  • Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 3

9 minutes ago, Desert Bills Fan said:

some of my rational:

- under 30 years old

- good availability (or have a reason why an oft injured or contract year wonder would be a good idea) 

Draft Cooke and skip RB FA.  Find a vet DT and CB (or levi) and that's about it other than our own guys we want back. 

• Like (+1) 1

Brandon Scherff, though he will be expensive. Tough, skilled, elevates the entire offensive line

Donte Jackson, Corner, fast, tackles, great fit

Jerick McKinnon RB fast, can catch, can play running back and receiver serving as a great weapon in the empty game

Dj Chark WR, big, fast, tons of potential coming off an injury. May be too expensive. 

Taven Bryan -3tech to rotate with Ed Oliver. Great athlete and nice fit for what we do here. Up and down career so far

Edited by MrEpsYtown
  • Like (+1) 3

Here's a few realistic offensive options who caught my eye looking at spotrac

RB

James Connor

Edmonds

Darrel Williams

Patterson

WR

Chark

Kirk

Gallup

TY Hilton (Beane loves a vet WR)

TE

OJ Howard

Tonyan

OL

Austin Corbett

James Daniels

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Desert Bills Fan said:

some of my rational:

- under 30 years old

All I've heard about JC Jackson (even from Pats fans) is how he's going to demand huge money.

Christian Kirk (LOVE HIM)

Melvin Gordon-to pair with singletary

Chase Edmonds

Cordarrelle Patterson

Jamison Crowder

Michael Gallup

DJ Chark

Byron Pringle

Chandler Jones(Unrealistic but a dream)

Von Miller (Also unrealistic)

Larry Ogunjobi

Austin Corbett

Mark Glowinski

Andrew Norwell

Melvin Ingram

Steven Nelson

Bryce Callahan

Zach Ertz

Mo Alie Cox

Will we get any of these guys, who knows. But I’d love to actually sign a FA other than Emmanuel Sanders this year. And please let Wallace walk.

Edited by MWK
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

Here’s the thing. We’re probably at most getting one big ticket guy. Probably none tbh. 

Guys with reasonable contracts I like are:

Ryan Fitzpatrick (backup QB)

Cordarelle Patterson RB

Jerick McKinnon RB

Zach Pascal WR

Jamison Crowder WR

Robert Tonyan TE

Ben Jones Center

Mark Glowinski OG

Derek Barnett DE

Larry Ogunjobi DT

• Like (+1) 5

36 minutes ago, Desert Bills Fan said:

some of my rational:

- under 30 years old

Jackson is getting $15-$20 mill per……do people think these things thru?

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

Here’s the thing. We’re probably at most getting one big ticket guy. Probably none tbh. 

Guys with reasonable contracts I like are:

Ryan Fitzpatrick (backup QB)

Cordarelle Patterson RB

Jerick McKinnon RB

Zach Pascal WR

Jamison Crowder WR

Robert Tonyan TE

Ben Jones Center

Mark Glowinski OG

Derek Barnett DE

Larry Ogunjobi DT

I absolutely love Glowinski. Solid guard, and shouldn’t break the bank. This is a good list and all make sense for our price range. I’d love to sign a few of these guys

46 minutes ago, Desert Bills Fan said:

some of my rational:

- under 30 years old

Don't think we're going to be able to realistically afford those guys.

Jackson and Chandler Jones? Wildly unlikely, is my guess.

Edited by Thurman#1

42 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

pretty well.

Bills currently only have just under 10 million in cap space. A few key releases and restructure could put them in the low 20s but they’ll be hard pressed to get higher than that. Remember, anyone they cut you have to replace. Can you ink a WR coming off 82 catches for 6.5 million? Probably not. Can you find a solid/good OG like Williams, a guy who plays all 4 OL spots at the drop of a hat, for cheaper than the 7 he’ll make next year? Again, probably not.

The FAs Id like to see are our own. Get Harrison Phillips, Ryan Bates, Levi Wallace under contract. 

$10M?

Spotrac has us in the negative numbers, at -$1.3M, though I think they haven't officially rolled over our money from last year yet.

Overthecap has us at $4.5M, though I think they have just assumed the rollover.

I wish we had $10M.

You're right that we will release some guys and restructure a few, but they don't go overboard on that, as we know from past years. And you're right that we'll without a doubt bring back a bunch of our own FAs which will bring the totals back down.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

pretty well.

Ehhhh, I guess what he said. We just don't have the money. Maybe we just need more luck because it sure is going to be to get better from here on out. Our best hopes lie with Groot, Epenesa and Basham getting much better. If they can't do it....

IDK? Maybe we nail this draft?

I hope McD, Leslie and Beane feel completely awful right now....

(like me...)

1 hour ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

pretty well.

I think I’ve seen enough Levi Wallace, unless you can get him dirt cheap...

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, MWK said:

Christian Kirk (LOVE HIM)

Melvin Gordon-to pair with singletary

Chase Edmonds

Cordarrelle Patterson

Jamison Crowder

Michael Gallup

DJ Chark

Byron Pringle

Chandler Jones(Unrealistic but a dream)

Von Miller (Also unrealistic)

Larry Ogunjobi

Austin Corbett

Mark Glowinski

Andrew Norwell

Melvin Ingram

Steven Nelson

Bryce Callahan

Zach Ertz

Mo Alie Cox

Will we get any of these guys, who knows. But I’d love to actually sign a FA other than Emmanuel Sanders this year. And please let Wallace walk.

Cordarelle Patterson alone may be enough. Suddenly you have speed on offensive and another weapon for Allen. Draft a corner and a guard, sign your own free agents, and you're good to go. 

• Like (+1) 4

Chark is ripe to go to a 1/2 year deal to get to better situation for lesser than mkt value.  

Pump up the stats in this offense

Then go get your WR1 deal

Not a great year to try and break the bank when you're up against Adams, Godwin, JuJu, etc.

The Bills have the appeal (for offensive stats) that the Pats used to have for ring-seekers.

• Like (+1) 1

After last week… who’s really ready to talk about the off-season. 
that’s like you just broke up with your girlfriend & your trying to move in on her girlfriend a week later. Man…let this breathe a little

Edited by Scorp83
Typo
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, 716er said:

RB

James Connor

Edmonds

Darrel Williams

Patterson

WR

Chark

Kirk

Gallup

TE

OJ Howard

Tonyan

OL

Austin Corbett

James Daniels

Patterson should be their primary target. 

Kirk or Gallup especially Gallup could come in for a short term prove it deal. 

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Scorp83 said:

After last week… who’s really to talk about the off-season. 
that’s like you just broke up with your girlfriend & your trying to move in on her girlfriend a week later. Man…let this breathe a little

OR don’t read and comment on a thread if you’re not interested/ready 🤷‍♂️

• Like (+1) 4

12 minutes ago, filthymcnasty08 said:

Chark is ripe to go to a 1/2 year deal to get to better situation for lesser than mkt value.  

Pump up the stats in this offense

Then go get your WR1 deal

Not a great year to try and break the bank when you're up against Adams, Godwin, JuJu, etc.

The Bills have the appeal (for offensive stats) that the Pats used to have for ring-seekers.

Are the Bills viewed outside of Bills fans as better for ring seekers than the Bengals, Chiefs, Titans, or a couple of NFC teams.  Patriots were unique.  They actually won a bunch of Super Bowls to establish that.  

1 hour ago, Tortured Soul said:

I know Jones is from Rochester. Does anyone know if he's still connected to the area/would see this as an opportunity to win a Superbowl with his hometown team?

He went to high school at Union-Endicott, just outside of Binghamton. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

pretty well.

I am in no hurry to sign Wallace. 
Bates and Phillips, sure. Wallace is a product of the system. He is slow with limited skills. 

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, 716er said:

RB

James Connor

Edmonds

Darrel Williams

Patterson

WR

Chark

Kirk

Gallup

TE

OJ Howard

Tonyan

OL

Austin Corbett

James Daniels

What's the infatuation with OJ Howard? I'll take Gronk over him. Chark and Gallup only. Draft a RB over listed group

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

I'd rather have good fits than big names. Providing these guys even see FA...

WR-DJ Chark JAX

Has size and speed. Coming off injury so may not be super expensive. 

IOL- Conner Williams DAL, Bradley Bozeman BAL, Austin Corbett LAR (2 of 3)

CB- Donte Jackson CAR

Yes, a Panther. Deal with it. Guy is a good cover corner with excellent speed.

• Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

$10M?

Spotrac has us in the negative numbers, at -$1.3M, though I think they haven't officially rolled over our money from last year yet.

Overthecap has us at $4.5M, though I think they have just assumed the rollover.

I wish we had $10M.

You're right that we will release some guys and restructure a few, but they don't go overboard on that, as we know from past years. And you're right that we'll without a doubt bring back a bunch of our own FAs which will bring the totals back down.

OTC is -$4.5M.  Spotrac is usually closer to the truth although at this time of year there is all kinds of adjusting going on.

I posted a bit ago that the Bills will have to restructure or cut/trade players just to re-sign some of their own FAs let alone others.

None of this will matter because these free agent threads will be with us until the draft.

After taking a gander through spotrac, this is my short list of FAs that I liked. Didn’t spend too much time with it. Here’s some guys I like, in no particular order.

• Chris Godwin, WR (Torn ACL, one of the best WRs in the league. Would he take a 1 year prove it deal and play with one of the best QBs in the league? 🤔

• Zach Ertz, TE (Older veteran. Passes are limited in AZ. Would he sign a modest 2 year deal to compete for a Lombardi?)

• Mark Glowinski, OG (I’ve always been impressed by him. He’s a bit older, Indy can’t afford to pay two top OGs money, can they?)

• Christian Kirk, WR (Solid WR, I think he adds a top tier target for Allen. Possible replacement for Cole?)

• Stephon Gilmore, CB (I don’t think he gets the money he seeks. Veteran presence at CB? Would he come back to where it all started? Could fill in for Tre if he’s not back from his ACL injury.)

Edited by Victory Formation
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, NoSaint said:

the guy wanted high producing, young, healthy guys…. They cost a lot.

He also wanted "not the highest paid." And for good reason.

IMO he's not getting all those together, high-producing, young, healthy and not to expensive don't tend to go together all at the same time.

1 hour ago, ColoradoBills said:

OTC is -$4.5M.  Spotrac is usually closer to the truth although at this time of year there is all kinds of adjusting going on.

I posted a bit ago that the Bills will have to restructure or cut/trade players just to re-sign some of their own FAs let alone others.

None of this will matter because these free agent threads will be with us until the draft.

Oh, red is negative figures on Overthecap? Weird that they wouldn't just use the minus sign, but whatever.

Even worse, then, if both of them have the Bills in negative figures.

It's just that I keep seeing people saying the Bills have $10M available. At least twice so far in this thread alone. I don't know where they're getting that, but they oughta consider holding their horses.

I love Colorado, by the way. If I ever move back to the states, that's where I'd go. My parents used to live up in Leadville, saw Mt. Elbert out the kitchen window every day. Love me some Colorado.

Edited by Thurman#1

6 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Oh, red is negative figures on Overthecap? Weird that they wouldn't just use the minus sign, but whatever.

Even worse, then, if both of them have the Bills in negative figures.

It's just that I keep seeing people saying the Bills have $10M available. At least twice so far in this thread alone. I don't know where they're getting that, but they oughta consider holding their horses.

I have to put my faith in some Beane wheeling and dealing.

As to the last part I'm just going to start to ignore it and let them at it.  LOL.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.