No excuses our coaching cost us this game and going to the Super Bowl

Niagara Dude

There is not one person who can explain what the hell the Bills were doing in those final 13 secs.  Outside of the kick-off it which was also another really bad,  we either have players with very low IQ or coaches that are not very good under pressure situations.  The Chiefs had 3 time outs so the sideline defending was stupid and allowing complete free releases off the line is one of the worse strategies I have ever seen. There is no excuse for that type of poor decision making at this level and after you called timeouts to discuss it with your players. The Chiefs kicked that FG with only 3 secs left,  on both passes to Kelce & Hill , Mahomes wasted no time unloading the pass.  Any kind of jam/hold at the line of scrimmage and he needs to wait and those 3 secs are no longer there after the second pass to Kelce.  

Sure Sean feels bad,  he knows he & his assistants gave it to them because of stupid coaching. The biggest victim is Allen who played the game of life and most likely the best game ever by a Bills QB on the road in a playoff game.  Allen gets too listen to pundits all week talking about how Mahomes is still the best in the business and Bills fans are now again watching another team celebrate.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Dislike 2

Just now, nucci said:

who's making excuses?

McDermott did mention "execution" in his press conference, which in my opinion is a huge cop out when the defensive alignment was basically designed to let KC do exactly what they wanted to do.

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, Niagara Dude said:

There is not one person who can explain what the hell the Bills were doing in those final 13 secs.  Outside of the kick-off it which was also another really bad,  we either have players with very low IQ or coaches that are not very good under pressure situations.  The Chiefs had 3 time outs so the sideline defending was stupid and allowing complete free releases off the line is one of the worse strategies I have ever seen. There is no excuse for that type of poor decision making at this level and after you called timeouts to discuss it with your players. The Chiefs kicked that FG with only 3 secs left,  on both passes to Kelce & Hill , Mahomes wasted no time unloading the pass.  Any kind of jam/hold at the line of scrimmage and he needs to wait and those 3 secs are no longer there after the second pass to Kelce.  

Sure Sean feels bad,  he knows he & his assistants gave it to them because of stupid coaching. The biggest victim is Allen who played the game of life and most likely the best game ever by a Bills QB on the road in a playoff game.  Allen gets too listen to pundits all week talking about how Mahomes is still the best in the business and Bills fans are now again watching another team celebrate.

Oh, sure. NOW you tell us. Where were ya on this one before?

13 minutes ago, Niagara Dude said:

100% agree. I really like Coach McDermott but he absolutely cost the Bills the game in 13 seconds. There really is no other way to put it. If he worked in another profession his gross incompetence would have resulted in him being fired. I'm not advocating this but my anger towards the coaching staff will linger for a long long time. 

4 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

"What did you think of your team's execution, Coach?"

"I'm in favor of it."

Signed by Andy Reid. He says thanks for the gift...

Edited by newcam2012
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, jkeerie said:

How many new threads have to be created on this topic???  Mods can we please merge this with one of the other 86 similar topics?

i believe there are so many people speaking on the topic out of disgust. It's a way of venting for many. The anger is real because the coaching incompetence in a 13 sec span is inexplicable. It's the elephant in the room. Almost feels like we the fans have been cheated out of a great chance to win the super bowl. 

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Niagara Dude said:

Our situational football needs to be dramatically improved.  It sure looks like they don’t practice for EVERY situation that could happen in a game.  Sometimes it looks like they are making it up as they go along.  Don’t get me wrong this coaching staff has done a good job but to get were we want to go they have to be better in that area.

11 minutes ago, RochesterLifer said:

"No excuses our coaching cost us this game and going to the Super Bowl"

Punctuation is your friend.

Cost us the chance of WINNING the Super Bowl.

The Bills are better than any team remaining not KC. Rams are close 2nd.

I see KC/Rams with KC winning and that's gonna hurt big time.

This was our year.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

20 minutes ago, billsbackto81 said:

Cost us the chance of WINNING the Super Bowl.

The Bills are better than any team remaining not KC. Rams are close 2nd.

I see KC/Rams with KC winning and that's gonna hurt big time.

This was our year.

Agree. I think this is part of the reason this one stings more (to some of us) than the forward pass, Monday night close losses etc because everything was coming into shape for us. If it had worked out like many of us thought, we'd host AFCCG and feel very confident about our chances against Bengals and NFC winner.

Edited by Sheneneh Jenkins
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

The Bengals had a great season. It's amazing we would have gotten that as a home game, but it's hardly a gimme.

Then the Rams - another very tough game.

We lost a divisional round game, and without doubt, coaching played a big role in that. But the idea that we would just stroll to a Lombardi isn't accurate.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

43 minutes ago, nucci said:

who's making excuses?

Plenty of people are

27 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

i believe there are so many people speaking on the topic out of disgust. It's a way of venting for many. The anger is real because the coaching incompetence in a 13 sec span is inexplicable. It's the elephant in the room. Almost feels like we the fans have been cheated out of a great chance to win the super bowl. 

I could not agree more,  did not sleep all night Sunday.  Was sick thinking how we just blew a perfect opportunity to finally shut everyone up about not winning a Super Bowl

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Niagara Dude said:

Plenty of people are

I could not agree more,  did not sleep all night Sunday.  Was sick thinking how we just blew a perfect opportunity to finally shut everyone up about not winning a Super Bowl

Me too, but I really try to shut those people out.

Honestly, the ones who do that seriously are losers.  It's called projection.

8 minutes ago, Niagara Dude said:

Plenty of people are

No, there are not.

53 minutes ago, Niagara Dude said:

There is not one person who can explain what the hell the Bills were doing in those final 13 secs.

Did you really need to start another thread to post the same thing you have posted 500 times throughout other threads?

Do you really want to know what happened in those 13 seconds? KC got into field goal range, kicked a field goal, and tied the game. 

There. Can you stop now?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, Niagara Dude said:

If Mahomes wins the SB, he's wearing Josh's ring.  It's plain and simple.  Coaches and D scheme failed the Bills.  KC outsmarted our coaches.  Not only super quick, accurate passes by Mahomes, but Kelce and Hill dropped and called timeouts immediately as to not let precious seconds tick.  

• Like (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

If he worked in another profession his gross incompetence would have resulted in him being fired.

This sounds like the kind of thing a person would say who's never actually worked anywhere. His team just played maybe the greatest game in NFL history. If you get fired after that, your boss deserves to lose everything.

• Disagree 1

While I understand everyone’s exhausted from this topic, it does make me wonder what can be done to improve things going forward. You can throw out the baby with the bath water by firing these geniuses but that’s only going to result in undoing all the other good things that have come with the current leadership. So what happens next year when a completely different set of circumstances result in another playoff blunder? I mean it was only a week ago when everyone was circling around the Cowboys late game mistake. 

46 minutes ago, Success said:

The Bengals had a great season. It's amazing we would have gotten that as a home game, but it's hardly a gimme.

Then the Rams - another very tough game.

We lost a divisional round game, and without doubt, coaching played a big role in that. But the idea that we would just stroll to a Lombardi isn't accurate.

I liked our chances, especially the way Josh and the offense was playing, peaking at the right time.

29 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

No, there are not.

Did you really need to start another thread to post the same thing you have posted 500 times throughout other threads?

Do you really want to know what happened in those 13 seconds? KC got into field goal range, kicked a field goal, and tied the game. 

There. Can you stop now?

That's what happened for sure. However, that only tells half of the story. Talk about how it happened? The Bills defensive strategy? Did Kelce run free off the line of scrimmage unblemished? Did Hill catch a ball in a prevent like defense for 20 yards? Did you like the kick into the end zone?  Do you think the Bills coaching staff blew the game in that second span? Did you think their special teams and defensive scheme was solid? Would love to hear your input. Was it poor execution like the coach said? What's that mean? 

Imho, any knowledgeable football can only conclude one thing. The Bills coaching gift wrapped a present to the Chiefs. All the Chiefs had to do was open the gift up. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, billsbackto81 said:

I liked our chances, especially the way Josh and the offense was playing, peaking at the right time.

No doubt. Our chances were as good as anyone, and probably a bit better because it looked like JA was on a roll that wouldn't stop.

The D would have scared me a little in the SB - especially against the Rams. They can be close to as good as us on offense, and they have a much better D-line.  

Maybe this all happened for a reason.  Our O isn't going anywhere.  Get a disruptor or 2 on defense, and we win the whole thing next year.

38 minutes ago, Worstcaseontario said:

Coaching still set us up to have the lead with 13 seconds left, im still pissed we lost but that was one of the best playoff games in history and it was pretty cool seeing our team apart of that. 

Hardly a compensation for the loss. Kind of like thinking you won a million dollars in the lottery only to find out you won $100. 

4 minutes ago, Success said:

No doubt. Our chances were as good as anyone, and probably a bit better because it looked like JA was on a roll that wouldn't stop.

The D would have scared me a little in the SB - especially against the Rams. They can be close to as good as us on offense, and they have a much better D-line.  

Maybe this all happened for a reason.  Our O isn't going anywhere.  Get a disruptor or 2 on defense, and we win the whole thing next year.

I hope you are right. The future clearly looks promising. I'm just tired of "wait til next year." This was the year. I don't think any team left could have stopped Allen. His level of play was that good!!!!!!

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, newcam2012 said:

That's what happened for sure. However, that only tells half of the story. Talk about how it happened? The Bills defensive strategy? Did Kelce run free off the line of scrimmage unblemished? Did Hill catch a ball in a prevent like defense for 20 yards? Did you like the kick into the end zone?  Do you think the Bills coaching staff blew the game in that second span? Did you think their special teams and defensive scheme was solid? Would love to hear your input. Was it poor execution like the coach said? What's that mean? 

Imho, any knowledgeable football can only conclude one thing. The Bills coaching gift wrapped a present to the Chiefs. All the Chiefs had to do was open the gift up. 

People can conclude whatever they want to conclude. That wasn't my point. My point was that it is plain to see what they did. It certainly isn't that hard to figure out that mistakes were made in coaching decisions and player execution. I'm sure they had, what they felt, were good reasons, to do what they did at the time. And, I don't think there is anyone that would disagree that the players and coaches would love nothing more than to replay that entire sequence.

McDermott has stated over and over that the failures start with him. He has no obligation to go into any further detail than that. It won't change anything. It won't make anybody feel any better. 

The only thing I care about is that McDermott, the rest of the coaching staff, and the players learn and grow from the experience. I'm sure they will.

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, BillMafia716ix said:

I just wanted Sean to go up there today and just admit he ***** up. He didn’t do it. Blamed it on execution………smh

Hopefully he don't lose the locker room by not manning up!! Players saw what happened and are playing armchair coach just like we are. IMO, it gets hard to follow someone who blames everyone else but won't admit their faults in the situation

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Hopefully he don't lose the locker room by not manning up!! Players saw what happened and are playing armchair coach just like we are. IMO, it gets hard to follow someone who blames everyone else but won't admit their faults in the situation

Im sure he probably told the team personally he ***** up. Just gave the media a different version. If he didn’t like you said….that could lose a locker room.

• Agree 1

People that open a thread and post just to say "there are other threads on this" kill me.    Just don't click on it then, nobody is forcing you. 

Sometimes existing threads get off base, they turn nasty or become a few guys back and forth defending their posts, a new thread on a massively important topic getting restarted a few times isn't going to hurt anything.

Now, if someone starts another one Patrick Mahomes brother, THAT'S grounds for murder......

The execution line is total BS.  That d was a soft zone designed to give up chunks of yardage.   Edmunds was 15 yards from the line of scrimmage, the deep safety was 30 yards back.  They knew they had 2 timeouts, sideline wasn't a factor.   35 yards and they were in FG range.   They got 44.   A high school QB could of completed the throw to Kelce, he was high school open, not pro open or even college open but HS open.    I told a relative that the only thing that makes sense is that Leslie was having a mini stroke and thought the chiefs needed a TD instead of a FG.   He doesn't want to discuss final 13 seconds, the kickoff. man-up and admit what happened, because it was gross incompetence.

I've seen plenty of players let the team down over the years, from Harmon, to Norwood, to Stevie to McKelvin.   It especially hurts when its the coaching staff not knowing what they are doing.   These opportunities don't come around every year.   Ask Dan Marino.

Dont give me any so and so coach didn't win a superbowl until x year.   They most likely didn't because they didn't have the team or the QB to do it.  We have the QB, the game was over if properly coached, no if, ands or buts about.

Edited by billsfan714
  • Like (+1) 1