Giants GM Dave Gettleman to retire on Monday

Greg S

(13) Chris Moore on Twitter: "I can confirm what has widely been speculated regarding Dave Gettleman, he will retire on Monday." / Twitter

It will be interesting to see who they hire as GM and if Mara forces them to work with Judge. They are a bigger **** show then the Jets. Also reported on WFAN. 

2 minutes ago, PetermansRedemption said:

Horrendous GM for the Giants. Just unspeakably poor. Should have been fired immediately after drafting a running back second overall. The compensation he could have received by trading down in that draft would have been astronomical. 

well we can thank him and Elway for Josh falling to 7.  

• Like (+1) 17
  • Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

If the Giants' new regime declines Daniel Jones'  5th year option and lets him walk he might be a good replacement for Trubisky if Mitch moves on.  

Edited by Inigo Montoya
  • Like (+1) 9
  • Agree 3

Just now, Inigo Montoya said:

If the Giants' new regime declines Daniel Jones'  5th year option and let him walk he might be a good replacement for Trubiski if Mitch moves on.  

I think Jones still has hopes for being a starter in this league. In his defense the Giants OL is garbage.

• Like (+1) 6

12 minutes ago, PetermansRedemption said:

Horrendous GM for the Giants. Just unspeakably poor. Should have been fired immediately after drafting a running back second overall. The compensation he could have received by trading down in that draft would have been astronomical. 

When they took Barkely at No. 2, I was like "OMG. I can't believe that. How clueless are these football people?"

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

When they took Barkely at No. 2, I was like "OMG. I can't believe that. How clueless are these football people?"

Yeah, that move rivaled the draft day stupidity of Rich Kotite and Marv Levy.

Just now, BADOLBILZ said:

This is probably Belichick's last chance at his dream job.

Do you think that he would accept the job if offered?

20 minutes ago, PetermansRedemption said:

The initial mistake was putting Eli back in after fans got upset he was benched. That told us they had a meddling owner. That decision caused them to go RB the following year and then reach for Jones the following year. It was a domino effect.

3 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

Yeah, that move rivaled the draft day stupidity of Rich Kotite and Marv Levy.

Bill is what 69,70?. Maybe if he were younger but now I don't know. Probably wants to win one with Jones before retiring. Honestly how much longer do you think he will coach?

12 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

And then took Daniel Jones and DeAndre Baker in the first round in the next draft 😂

18 minutes ago, benderbender said:

I'd offer him "a bag of donuts, a hot pretzel and a hot dog" to stay another year. 😄

Walk fast.  All Kelvin Benjamin had to do was a light jog, and Gettleman probably would have been pushing up daisies instead of hectoring players over stealing food. 🤨

1 minute ago, uninja said:

And then took Daniel Jones and DeAndre Baker in the first round in the next draft 😂

These are good examples of why it is kind of idiotic for people to repeat the mantra: "Take the best man available" in the draft.

It assumes you have an accurate master list of all the players and their ranking.  You don't! 

Who the hell knows who the best player is?  Not these NFL teams doing the drafting! 

Look at the shenanigans we pulled and the assets BURNED to move way up in the draft and get Sammy Watkins when much better receivers were available for much less lower in the draft.

We clearly had no idea who the best man available was.  

16 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

I can't imagine BB switching his life up like that at his current age and with his current legacy in NE...

He's obviously an enormously ambitious workaholic (as all these NFL HCs are), but...

20 years ago?  He might well make that move.  Now?  

I assume he is winding down and will retire with the Patriots.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

33 minutes ago, Greg S said:

I think Jones still has hopes for being a starter in this league. In his defense the Giants OL is garbage.

No chance.  There are around 30 other QBs in the league I'd take over Jones, and some of them are backups.  He has arm talent, and is a good athlete, but he just doesnt have what it takes to be a franchise QB, Oline or not.    The guy is responsible for an average of 1.75 turnovers a game since he came into the league.   You cant win like that when you arent scoring enough to make up for it.   Long term maybe he becomes a Tannehill type, but I think its more likely he ends up as a career backup. 

• Agree 1

40 minutes ago, benderbender said:

I'd offer him "a bag of donuts, a hot pretzel and a hot dog" to stay another year. 😄

Be open with it, don't hide your dislike for the kid!!  😄

All jokes aside, I don't think Jones is all that bad...

3 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

No chance.  There are around 30 other QBs in the league I'd take over Jones, and some of them are backups.  He has arm talent, and is a good athlete, but he just doesnt have what it takes to be a franchise QB, Oline or not.    The guy is responsible for an average of 1.75 turnovers a game since he came into the league.   You cant win like that when you arent scoring enough to make up for it.   Long term maybe he becomes a Tannehill type, but I think its more likely he ends up as a career backup. 

I think its Darnold who will end up a career back up given two failed stops as a starting QB. You may be right about Jones but I think some team will take a chance on him as a starter. We don't even know who the new GM will be for the Giants. Maybe the new GM will see potential with Jones and he remains with the Giants. We will have to wait and see.

• Like (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

If the Giants' new regime declines Daniel Jones'  5th year option and lets him walk he might be a good replacement for Trubisky if Mitch moves on.  

They will still keep Jones around in 2022 even if they decline his 5th year option.  The earliest Jones would be available is 2023.  

They should let the new GM decide Judge's future & if he has a brain he'll fire Judge immediately if the team hasn't already done so.  Here's a story I found on Twitter: 

Before the Giants cut Isaiah Wilson he had a huge argument with Joe Judge in front of the team. Judge accused Wilson of quitting on his teammates. Wilson replied “everyone here dead-ass quit weeks ago you dumb motherf***er”. Everyone was shocked, Wilson was cut shortly after.

5 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

Tough to hire a gm who can't choose his coach and qb.  Hot seats for both.  Gettleman left the Giants with a couple firsts and that could be a nice offer to get Russell Wilson. 

Trading for Russell Wilson at this stage of his career on a rebuilding team would be a disaster for everyone.  Wilson needs to go to a team that is a QB away from contention and that isn't the NYG.

1 hour ago, Greg S said:

(13) Chris Moore on Twitter: "I can confirm what has widely been speculated regarding Dave Gettleman, he will retire on Monday." / Twitter

It will be interesting to see who they hire as GM and if Mara forces them to work with Judge. They are a bigger **** show then the Jets. Also reported on WFAN. 

He was always a bad choice for GM.  He proved that he couldn’t rebuild Carolina and has no business trying to rebuild NYG.  I think he was hired because he’s a native NY’er.  

• Like (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

This is probably Belichick's last chance at his dream job.

This is always my first thought when the Giants job opens.  I could see him jumping if the Gianta/Maras gave him exactly what he wants as far as autonomy, control, and... money.

Belichick though seems to have prevailed in the Kraft/Brady/Belichick fight.  I would imagine he is pretty comfortable and feels like Kraft will take care of his kid and his guys in McDaniel and fatso rocket science guy with the pencil, forgot his name.  He is 70 and the Giants will be a moderate lift, although they seem to be in a pretty open division for the most part, and the NFC appears to be an easier road than the AFC in terms of young quarterbacks for the foreseeable future.

There is light at the end of the tunnel here though for NE.  They skated through a 1 year rebuild back into the playoffs/contention.  They have a rookie QB who has had a really good rookie year.  They have some cap space coming up to improve.  They are ahead of NY by quite a bit.  I cant see a 70 year old who desperately wants to win 1 (or more) championship taking a step back.

• Agree 3

1 hour ago, Greg S said:

“You Can’t Fire Me…I Quit!”

• Haha (+1) 2

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

“You Can’t Fire Me…I Quit!”

I think this is a case where if he doesn't quit then he gets the boot. I am just surprised that Judge may survive this. He has been terrible as well. The Giants would be better off cleaning house.

11 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

They will still keep Jones around in 2022 even if they decline his 5th year option.  The earliest Jones would be available is 2023.  

They should let the new GM decide Judge's future & if he has a brain he'll fire Judge immediately if the team hasn't already done so.  Here's a story I found on Twitter: 

Before the Giants cut Isaiah Wilson he had a huge argument with Joe Judge in front of the team. Judge accused Wilson of quitting on his teammates. Wilson replied “everyone here dead-ass quit weeks ago you dumb motherf***er”. Everyone was shocked, Wilson was cut shortly after.

Trading for Russell Wilson at this stage of his career on a rebuilding team would be a disaster for everyone.  Wilson needs to go to a team that is a QB away from contention and that isn't the NYG.

They have a lot of weapons on offense but the defense needs some help. They'd be electric on offense. 

The worst reason not to make a coaching change is "we've hired too many terrible coaches so we'll stick with this one for the optics of it"

As far as Gettleman goes... lots of bad draft picks have set that team up for a rebuild. 

If you're going to draft a RB #2 overall, he better turn out to be the next Thurman Thomas or Barry Sanders.

Thurman Thomas was NFL MVP in 91. That's what you need out of a RB to justify such a high pick. 

Edited by TheFunPolice
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

The worst reason not to make a coaching change is "we've hired too many terrible coaches so we'll stick with this one for the optics of it"

As far as Gettleman goes... lots of bad draft picks have set that team up for a rebuild. 

If you're going to draft a RB #2 overall, he better turn out to be the next Thurman Thomas or Barry Sanders.

Thurman Thomas was NFL MVP in 91. That's what you need out of a RB to justify such a high pick. 

Yeah, as the Demotivator says: “Consistency.  It’s only a virtue if you’re Not a screwup”

• Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

Draft order this year as they stand now, subject to some change based on Week 18 results;

1.   Jaguars

2.   Lions

3.  Texans

4.  Jets

5.  Giants

6.  Panthers

7.  Jets   (from the Seahawks)

8.  Giants   (from the Bears)

The Giants have the ammo to move up in the draft if they want to.  They also have their high 2nd rounder, two 3rd rounders, and two 4th rounders.  The Jags and Jets are out of the QB carousel for a few more years.  If the Giants are going to grab a rookie QB again they are in position to do it this year.

The question will be if the new regime wants to clear the decks for the rookie or keep Jones there as a bridge.  The worry would be that Jones might play a lot better under a coach who knows what he is doing and then what do you do with your shiny new rookie QB?   I think the Mara's will blow up the whole thing, GM, Coach, Jones, and start again.  

Edited by Inigo Montoya

1 hour ago, PetermansRedemption said:

Gettleman’s career is evidence that a random assortment of casual football fans can outperform some absurdly highly compensated NFL General Managers. An empty suit…

13 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

And yet Thurman was a second round pick.

• Like (+1) 1

Just thinking back to Thurman's career... A guy who could dominate as a RB, slot WR, and blocker. Imagine what the Thurmanator would do in today's game? 

THAT player is worthy of #2 overall. 

2 minutes ago, mannc said:

Gettleman’s career is evidence that a random assortment of casual football fans can outperform some absurdly highly compensated NFL General Managers. An empty suit…

And yet Thurman was a second round pick.

True, but that was because of injury concerns. But I get what you're saying!

IF I knew I was getting Thurman's career he is 100% worth #1 overall, IMO anyway. 

Just now, TheFunPolice said:

Just thinking back to Thurman's career... A guy who could dominate as a RB, slot WR, and blocker. Imagine what the Thurmanator would do in today's game? 

THAT player is worthy of #2 overall. 

No, Thurman would not have been worthy of the second overall pick if Josh Allen was still on the board. Not even close.

1 hour ago, Greg S said:

Bill is what 69,70?. Maybe if he were younger but now I don't know. Probably wants to win one with Jones before retiring. Honestly how much longer do you think he will coach?

If he coaches 3 more seasons he would be the oldest coach ever. I can’t see him going much past 75. 
Has it been documented Belichick wants to coach the Giants or is this just assumed from his DC days with Bill Parcel?

I think this seals the deal on 2 things:  

Saquan will not be a Giant next year.

Giants will draft or trade for a QB.  

Jones will either be traded or kept around and compete with the rookie to start week 1...or start until the rookie is ready.  If they acquire someone via trade, Jones will either be the backup or moved.  

New GM has no allegiance to the old regime, he’s gonna clean house and reset the foundation.  

If we can get Saquan cheap, I’d definitely would be willing to kick the tires on him.   Only if this can be down cheap though. 

Edited by Alphadawg7

34 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

He was always a bad choice for GM.  He proved that he couldn’t rebuild Carolina and has no business trying to rebuild NYG.  I think he was hired because he’s a native NY’er.  

He wasn’t brought in to rebuild Carolina, that was Hurney’s job. Both times😂😂

he was brought in to take control of an out of control cap mess while keeping the team respectable, and he succeeded

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.