Boston Globe tough on Belichick

Shaw66

27 minutes ago, Doc said:

Yeah but they lost their starting QB midway through the season and have been down to their third and fourth string quarterbacks.

True they had a stacked team.  But Brady had been clamoring for more help on offense his last year in New England.

Agreed. I just disagree with the Brady is greater than Belichick because he's won more games since leaving... They both can be special

41 minutes ago, Jerome007 said:

We mostly see highlights of other teams, the big plays, the big fails. "National media" always give big praises or the same downpoints. But local fans and journalists see the minor yet annoying quirks, criticize more, the small stuff, etc. It must be annoying to players and staff but it is what it is.

Annoying as often a lot is true, but fans and journalists somehow act like if elsewhere it's all perfect or all bad. Case in point: the OL blamed on Beane all the time. As if great offensive linemen are just sitting on a shelf, waiting to get picked or drafted by the Bills GM. EVERY team has weaknesses. All of them.

Yup. Exactly right. 

There are nuts on here constantly criticizing Beane and McDermott, when they're 22-9 this year and last. Many of them are not trolling, they genuinely believe this stuff. Of course people will criticise a coach who's 16-15 over the same span, particularly a 68 year-old. Is he losing it a bit? To some degree, probably he is. How much? Hard to say, but of course they're gonna start wondering.

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, Ghost_002! said:

If you are being sarcastic, yes I am. I been rooting for them since Hugh Millen was their QB. If you do not know who that is, then that should also answer you question. He was the QB before Bledsoe and Parcells got there. He was their QB while some of their games weren't being broadcast locally. 

I do remember him yes, he played the same season as the great Scott Zolak who went on to pump his chest out as the color analyst for Pats radio.

You might be a lifelong fan, you might not. What I do know is that back then no one gave a ***** about the Pats and I never met people who claimed to be fans. If you look at the Pats attendances back in the early 90s when they sucked, they hovered around 30 thousand, 35 thousand, even for early season games. Some weeks it went down to 20-25 thousand.

During the drought the Bills averaged 71 thousand fans (at a time when there were so many other ways to catch the game). The fact is a huge percentage of Pats fans are bandwagon jumpers. That's to be expected but I always laugh at their entitled attitude. The real longtime fans won't act like that because they've experienced the hard times. I'm looking forward to seeing how many stick around when Belichick has gone and they spend a couple of years in the AFC East basement 

• Like (+1) 2

42 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Brady was the bigger piece of those 6 Lombardis, IMO, but Belichick is partially responsible for turning him into the HOFer he clearly is.

I expect the Pats in the third and fourth year of what is essentially in large part a rebuild to field a consistently competitive, good team, but maybe never win another Lombardi under Belichick, unless Jones improves a lot more than I expect him to.

Belicheck definitely  nurtured Brady through the early years into a mature QB.  He was able to do that because Brady was deadly accurate in getting the ball to the right spot.  Overtime he built rest of his game. 

Jones is trending around a 75% completion rate.  If he is able to keep up that accuracy there is a good possibility for NE to build around him as he appears to have all those smarts that Brady had. 

42 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Brady was the bigger piece of those 6 Lombardis, IMO, but Belichick is partially responsible for turning him into the HOFer he clearly is.

I expect the Pats in the third and fourth year of what is essentially in large part a rebuild to field a consistently competitive, good team, but maybe never win another Lombardi under Belichick, unless Jones improves a lot more than I expect him to.

Belicheck definitely  nurtured Brady through the early years into a mature QB.  He was able to do that because Brady was deadly accurate in getting the ball to the right spot.  Overtime he built rest of his game. 

Jones is trending around a 75% completion rate.  If he is able to keep up that accuracy there is a good possibility for NE to build around him as he appears to have all those smarts that Brady had. 

The fans, writers, and national media touting the Patriots as Super Bowl contenders were always delusional.  Beating up on bad teams - yes.  One trick pony at QB - yes. They are at least a year away from being serious contenders and that assumes Jones has not yet peaked.  

15 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

Wow.  Here's something the Globe said yesterday or today.

I think the key is in the 7 game win streak, they only beat 3 decent teams, Chargers, Browns and Titans, and Chargers and Browns are questionable if they are good.  Titans win was impressive, but they aren't the same without Henry either.

It's kind of like Miami's streak, they too haven't played anyone good.

1 minute ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

I think the key is in the 7 game win streak, they only beat 3 decent teams, Chargers, Browns and Titans, and Chargers and Browns are questionable if they are good.  Titans win was impressive, but they aren't the same without Henry either.

It's kind of like Miami's streak, they too haven't played anyone good.

Not.  The Cheaters played the Titans without Henry, AJ Brown and Julio Jones.  

1 hour ago, Thurman#1 said:

It's more impressive than you make it sound there, what Belichick did. 

Brady right from year one was better than people were giving him credit for. But he wasn't what we now think of as Tom Brady till year six, and they won SBs when he was nowhere near what Allen is right now.

And you can blame Belichick for those bad years in Cleveland but they are just as legitimately blamed on QBs who weren't even capable game managers and poor GMsmanship there.

Sure, but I think Brady has a desire to win that is so strong and infectious that made everyone on that team better. Unapparelled work ethic, its hard to match. Allen seems to have that quality too

Jones may have a similar skills to Brady, but he doesnt have the fire, or leadership of Brady right now. Someone posted the sights and sounds from the Pats**** website. i watched the one from the colts. When they got down 14, McCorkle goes to his o-line and says "Don't look at the score, just play" - The guys were like "Cool" then proceeded to get their ***** kicked

Belicheck is obviously a very good coach, I won't ever take that away from him. But it will be a hell of a lot harder to win consistently without Brady. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

They are very, very spoiled. It’ll be fun seeing them slowly realize that their dynasty is dead.

Did you know the the Patriots have never lost the division 2 years in a row since Bill Belichick was hired in 2000? 

They won it for the first time in Belichick’s 2nd year, 2001.

Lost in 2002.

Won it from 2003-2007

lost it in 2008

won it from 2009-2019

lost (to Bills!) in 2020

If the Patriots don’t win it this year, it’ll be the first time ever under belichick that they went 2 years without winning the division.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, RobbRiddick said:

I do remember him yes, he played the same season as the great Scott Zolak who went on to pump his chest out as the color analyst for Pats radio.

You might be a lifelong fan, you might not. What I do know is that back then no one gave a ***** about the Pats and I never met people who claimed to be fans. If you look at the Pats attendances back in the early 90s when they sucked, they hovered around 30 thousand, 35 thousand, even for early season games. Some weeks it went down to 20-25 thousand.

During the drought the Bills averaged 71 thousand fans (at a time when there were so many other ways to catch the game). The fact is a huge percentage of Pats fans are bandwagon jumpers. That's to be expected but I always laugh at their entitled attitude. The real longtime fans won't act like that because they've experienced the hard times. I'm looking forward to seeing how many stick around when Belichick has gone and they spend a couple of years in the AFC East basement 

Scott Zolak is acting like a homer, so Bills do not have radio host and their own color analyst on their own local radio doing the same thing?  I know the "thing" to say is the patriots have a bunch of bandwagon fans. Some of that statement is true. Most sports teams who win will have "bandwagon" fans. That is the nature of things in sports, but what completely is going to get buried just to push the agenda because they won so much is, there is a great number of loyal patriots fans. Back during Hugh Millen, "Scott Zolak" era the team was going to moved to Connecitcut. It was the fans that helped fight to keep the patriots where they are at.  I mean there is also regional, generational difference between fans of buffalo, New York to fans in Boston too. Bigger region more to do and more teams to support in Boston to just focus solely on one sport (that doesn't mean there are no die hard fans out there), for some patriots fans they were born in the '00, all they know is winning so some will act entitled as the internet and twitter has taken over that is what you are going to see. Obviously buffalo as of now does not have the same fortunate but.....plenty of buffalo fans act entitle now. Crap chief fans act the same way "entitled" and they were definitely on the other side talking about patriots fans. 

It generally is the same thing all over, a lot of fans just won't allow it to be seen that way.  

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Gugny said:

We can agree to disagree.

I know that his patented 55-step drop-back, running around in circles, then scrambling for a 1-yard gain excited a lot of people.

Me?  I thought he sucked.

You're entitled to your opinion. I'm biased as my first bills game was the Flutie naked bootleg against Jacksonville for the win w/ time winding down 

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Winning seven straight games is a big achievement and the Pats* deserved credit for that. When they started saying it was the greatest winning streak ever and talking them up as super bowl contenders it got ridiculous.
That MNF game showed me that the Pats* weren’t that good. I said to my friend in the way home, if that game was played in 50 degree weather with a light breeze, it’s an easy win for Buffalo. Shockingly, we saw how far apart these teams are in Sunday. They stole one, but the Bills are far more talented and have the superior player at the most important position

Yet this far more talented team buffalo won't get a ring this year, and the window is closing. There are no excuses for losing to Jacksonville. 

Tennessee and Indy and Tampa are reasonable loses they are great teams. There should have never been a fight for the division on any level 

And how do the pats have a better conference record? 

And while Mac Jones hasn't been the best, he is still close to joining a small group of rookie qbs to lead his team to a playoff spot.  That's no easy task.

But where we stand is 9-6 and 9-6 and the pats 9-6 is more of an accomplishment, than a team projected to win 12+ and roll to a playoff spot. 

Belichick dose a great job getting bums to play and that's why they are close to a playoff spot. 6-7 win season to potentially 10 wins is far greater than what they where supposed to do 

M

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Jeffbigalls said:

Yet this far more talented team buffalo won't get a ring this year, and the window is closing. There are no excuses for losing to Jacksonville. 

Tennessee and Indy and Tampa are reasonable loses they are great teams. There should have never been a fight for the division on any level 

And while Mac Jones hasn't been the best, he is still close to joining a small group of rookie qbs to lead his team to a playoff spot.  That's no easy task.

But where we stand is 9-6 and 9-6 and the pats 9-6 is more of an accomplishment, than a team projected to win 12+ and roll to a playoff spot. 

Belichick dose a great job getting bums to play and that's why they are close to a playoff spot. 6-7 win season to potentially 10 wins is far greater than what they where supposed to do 

M

Tell yourself whatever you need to.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Jeffbigalls said:

M

They actually might get a ring, and their window will be open as long as JA is the QB.

Opposing fans love to say "the window is closing."  It's based on zilch.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

10 minutes ago, Jeffbigalls said:

M

Got any other predictions, Nostradamus?

People need to let the Jacksonville game go. This is the NFL. Every team can win any given Sunday. They got beat, so what? I can think of plenty of games where a bad team knocks a good team in the mouth. It happens for example:

https://boston.cbslocal.com/2010/11/07/browns-beat-up-patriots-34-14/

Pats* went on to be the number one overall seed (lost to Mark Sanchez). Cleveland went 5-11

16 hours ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Winning seven straight games is a big achievement and the Pats* deserved credit for that. When they started saying it was the greatest winning streak ever and talking them up as super bowl contenders it got ridiculous.

Exactly. We all know the best 7 game winning streak ever is the Dolphins. (At least that’s what the media is telling me now). 

Can you imagine if we lived by this type of standard in WNY?  Excellence is to be expected and when it is not delivered, we are mad.

Wow, can't imagine that in WNY! 

And if we actually got that, 90% of this board would be furious, attacking the Buffalo News or whoever was saying it, and trying to offer protection to the coach/team/organization.

😂

Belichick is a sub 500 coach without Brady in 9 seasons. It is looking like he will get his team into the playoffs. So in 9 seasons without Brady (1991-1995 Browns) and (2000, 2008*, 2020, 2021) he will have made the playoffs twice .222 success rate. That’s not that good. I wonder what Bills fans would think if McD had made the playoffs once in 5 seasons?

• Awesome! (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

I don’t think they did really…they had a good defense last year even with a few important Covid holdouts.  They were an average qb away from being a good not great team which is exactly what they are.  The whole pats hype train thing just doesn’t add up to me…idk how nfl analysts weren’t talking them up as an afc east competitor pre season.  7 win team missing some defensive standouts and with a starting qb that literally can’t throw the ball last season was about right results wise too.  Pats are exactly what I expected 

If you would've told me Pats would be 3 games above .500 and tied w/ Bills (excluding tie breakers) I would've laughed in your face.

5 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

It's more impressive than you make it sound there, what Belichick did. 

Brady right from year one was better than people were giving him credit for. But he wasn't what we now think of as Tom Brady till year six, and they won SBs when he was nowhere near what Allen is right now.

And you can blame Belichick for those bad years in Cleveland but they are just as legitimately blamed on QBs who weren't even capable game managers and poor GMsmanship there.

Belichick will be 70 in April.  How long do you think he is going to coach for?

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Nextmanup said:

Can you imagine if we lived by this type of standard in WNY?  Excellence is to be expected and when it is not delivered, we are mad.

Wow, can't imagine that in WNY! 

And if we actually got that, 90% of this board would be furious, attacking the Buffalo News or whoever was saying it, and trying to offer protection to the coach/team/organization.

😂

You clearly never frequent the game day threads. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Jeffbigalls said:

M

Most rookie QBs don't walk into the best coaching situation in the NFL with a strong defense and strong run game.  They usually walk into a dog ***** team like the Jets because they had a top draft pick.

3 hours ago, Doc said:

Not.  The Cheaters played the Titans without Henry, AJ Brown and Julio Jones.  

OK knew Henry was out,forgot about Jones and Brown also were out.  So also not as impressive

8 hours ago, Gugny said:

We can agree to disagree.

I know that his patented 55-step drop-back, running around in circles, then scrambling for a 1-yard gain excited a lot of people.

Me?  I thought he sucked.

14 hours ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

The Patriots achieved far more than what was expected of them prior to the season and I think the fans should be a little more thankful. Mac Jones has looked pretty good his rookie season and the defense is top notch. I don't think they'll go far in the post-seasom, but at least they have something to build on. Honestly, I hope they suffer a little more. 

Flutie didn't "suck." He was just overhyped. Indeed the most polarizing figures in Bills history other than OJ.

I thought Flutie's first year here,they won alot of games because of his play.  But by the 2nd year, teams figured him out.  Make him throw outside and keep a spy to prevent runs.  Once that happened, he wasn't anything special and they won the 2nd year because of the defense.

Recall to whenever there was any questions after the games in year 2 in particular about his play in the direction of not being great, he wouldn't throw someone else under the bus or wouldn't go after the writer who asked, but would instead try to answer the question with a question and deflect everything away from himself.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

OK knew Henry was out,forgot about Jones and Brown also were out.  So also not as impressive

Not impressive at all.  The Bills would have obliterated the Titans without those 3 (heck, without Henry and Brown).

• Agree 1

14 hours ago, Doc said:

Had it not been gale force winds in the first matchup, the Bills would have swept them. 

Did the gale force affect Jones or Allen?  The Patriots could have still chosen to run 45 times whether there were winds or not.   Why do anything else unless the other team can stop me.

On 12/28/2021 at 9:20 PM, Doc said:

Except that his record without Brady is well below .500 and Brady just won a SB with another team. 

*with Mike Evans, Chris Godwin, Antonio Brown, Gronk, Leonard Fournette and a dominant defense.

The most talented team he's ever played on.  One of the most talented I've ever seen really.

15 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Geez and consider the vitriol when anything negative is posted about McD here???

This is a Bills board.  While fun to read a little about NE fans upset after the Sunday loss and complaining about refs, bad breaks, Mac, BB and the defense, back to Bills talk. 

McD hasn't coached his team to 6 Superbowl wins.    That kind of success rate earns you deep respect from your fanbase.    

I bet those fans were tougher on the hoodie prior to his first Superbowl win and probably were still tough after one or two of them.     By the time the Patriots had won number 3 or 4 you would start to look like a dickwad being too hard on the coach.

NFL players aren’t dumb when it comes to football. By the time they have reached the pro’s they have played and watched a ton of football. I am beginning to wonder if the players on the Pats are losing faith in Jones.

Starting with only letting him throw the ball 3 times against the Bills, while watching Josh fling it in the wind. Then Jones follows that game up with a poor performance for 3 quarters in Indy and can’t bring his team back from a hole he helped dig. Last, he goes back up against Buffalo in a game where you would think the Pats and Jones would want to prove he can pass the ball at least average, and turns out they needed him too. Jones couldn’t deliver. These next two weeks are really key for Jones and NE. Interested to see if the team keeps rallying around him. Do the players in Foxboro already know the answer to what we will debate here all off-season? 

5 hours ago, ganesh said:

Did the gale force affect Jones or Allen?  The Patriots could have still chosen to run 45 times whether there were winds or not.   Why do anything else unless the other team can stop me.

So then why didn’t the Cheaters run 45 times in the 2nd game?

3 hours ago, Chicken Boo said:

*with Mike Evans, Chris Godwin, Antonio Brown, Gronk, Leonard Fournette and a dominant defense.

The most talented team he's ever played on.  One of the most talented I've ever seen really.

I’d say it’s all right up there with his 2017.  He still won a Super Bowl while his old team faltered.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.