Boston Globe tough on Belichick

Shaw66

This is the annoying thing about coverage of the Patriots.  They start as a team with major questions.  In the span of six weeks, they go from mediocre team to Super Bowl contender.  

Belichick goes from being the coach carried by Tom Brady to the genius who “zigged when everyone else zagged.”  

Mac Jones goes from being regarded as a rookie QB with a high ceiling to the second coming of Tom Brady.

The 2021 Patriots are suddenly the 2001 Patriots .   

Now after two losses, they are back to a mediocre team again.

If the Patriots somehow win a playoff game, I’m sure the 2001 Super Bowl hype will begin again.  Let’s hope it doesn’t happen agains the Bills

23 minutes ago, stuvian said:

I know we're supposed the hate the Pats but honestly, this season might be one of BB's best coaching jobs ever. That team is playing miles above their talent level and Mac Jones plays with the poise of 5 year pro.

I don’t know.  Belichick does deserve credit for the way he tried to counter high-scoring offenses and smaller defenses in the NFL.  He actually tried this last year with Cam Newton and failed badly because he didn’t have the talent.  

As far as Mac Jones, he definitely has played well this season - but they have surrounded with with a very good OL and running game and haven’t asked him to do very much.   It’s hard to know what to expect from him in the future.  Does he get better?  Stay the same? Or decline?  We’ve seen examples of all three scenarios over the years with rookie QBs

• Like (+1) 1

Mac's got his issues.  Accuracy & decision making aren't among them...so long as he can work between the hash marks and inside the numbers.

Pats fans (go watch Evan Lazar) noticed that Buffalo did this crazy thing where they game planned for NEs tendencies, favorite passing concepts, then game planned again for the ones they run the most with Mac. Brady could make the deep outs, and drive the ball outside the numbers; Mac can't, or at least isn't confident that he can so he doesn't.  Take away the middle of the field from short to long, and you make Mac second guess himself or force throws.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, MJS said:

Football, in general, might be about entertainment, but the head coache's job is not to entertain, it is to produce a winning team. A head coach should never have entertainment on their mind at all. Many of them are tough interviews, actually. They do it because they are forced to.

I disagree.   The head coaches PRIMARY job is to produce a winning team, in the same way a player's primary job is to execute on the field, but off the field conduct, the way they treat the fans, the press, doing interviews, signing autographs, having a sense of humor, answering questions in a way that doesn't make them seem smug--that is also an important piece of the job.

Andy Reid is a HOF coach as well, look at how he handles it all, how he relates to people with his wit and a twinkle in his eye compared to stuffy old Bill.  I've heard Chris Brown talk about what his colleagues as Patriots beat reporters have told him about having to work with Belichick they say it's a freaking nightmare.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, mannc said:

The Globe is slow to realize that the Patriots just aren’t that good.  They lost to two superior teams.

And they beat a titans team missing all their offensive talent and a browns team in a similarly terrible injury situation. Their only quality win was against us in a windstorm 

2 hours ago, Freddie's Dead said:

It's because they didn't "win" 6, three were arguably the result of cheating, and 2 were handed to them by Falcons and Seahawks coaches too stupid to run the ball.  Plus there's no more Marcia.  They know the emperor has no clothes.

I’ll never get tired of Marshall Faulk swearing the pats taped their walkthrough in their first Super Bowl win…that all started pre spygate too 

2 hours ago, Freddie's Dead said:

It's because they didn't "win" 6, three were arguably the result of cheating, and 2 were handed to them by Falcons and Seahawks coaches too stupid to run the ball.  Plus there's no more Marcia.  They know the emperor has no clothes.

I’ll never get tired of Marshall Faulk swearing the pats taped their walkthrough in their first Super Bowl win…that all started pre spygate too. Loved tomlin angrily saying equipment just stops working in New England too lol 

3 hours ago, mannc said:

The Globe is slow to realize that the Patriots just aren’t that good.  They lost to two superior teams.

They did. Also, waxing nostalgic about the Patriots December exploits with the all time best QB at the helm might be a teensie bit unfair. It’s as if the Boston sportswriters subscribe to the idea that the Pats rightful place is in first. 

7 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

I'll never get tired of Marshall Faulk swearing the pats taped their walkthrough in their first Super Bowl win…that all started pre spygate too 

I’ll never get tired of Marshall Faulk swearing the pats taped their walkthrough in their first Super Bowl win…that all started pre spygate too. Loved tomlin angrily saying equipment just stops working in New England too lol 

OK, Jimmy Two Times :devil:

3 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Generally accepted as the best HC in NFL history and has lead NE to 6 Super Bowl victories..........including one just 3 seasons ago..........but he deserves to be put under the microscope after dominating the NFL for 2 decades and winning 9 games this season and likely going to the playoffs with a rookie QB.

That's how it goes in big markets. 

Sometimes I would like our Buffalo Media to be that cutthroat, just for entertainment value.  But other times it just doesn’t seem realistic when so many of our local media secretly want to or feel they are actually fans/part of the team.

39 minutes ago, Da webster guy said:

I disagree.   The head coaches PRIMARY job is to produce a winning team, in the same way a player's primary job is to execute on the field, but off the field conduct, the way they treat the fans, the press, doing interviews, signing autographs, having a sense of humor, answering questions in a way that doesn't make them seem smug--that is also an important piece of the job.

Andy Reid is a HOF coach as well, look at how he handles it all, how he relates to people with his wit and a twinkle in his eye compared to stuffy old Bill.  I've heard Chris Brown talk about what his colleagues as Patriots beat reporters have told him about having to work with Belichick they say it's a freaking nightmare.

That's just not true at all. If you win, you keep your job. If you lose, you lose your job. Whether or not you are entertaining, or a good interview, or have a sense of humor, or anything else is irrelevant. For a coach, it is only about winning. That's the only thing that will save their job.

All those things you said are literally the LEAST important thing about their job. Yeah, some coaches are more personable, and that's nice. Good for them. I like that McDermott answers questions and isn't a jerk to the media, but McDermott knows that being a nice guy in interviews is not his job and will never save his job. He knows it comes down to building a winning team and winning football games. Period.

As for Belichick? Yeah, I don't like him. His interviews are stupid. But I respect him as a winning coach, all cheating scandals aside. And he will have a job in New England, or for almost any other team in the NFL, for as long as he wants because of what he has accomplished on the field, regardless of his bad interviews.

Arguably the greatest QB in the history of the game will mask a lot of the HC’s deficiencies. Belichick is possibly the greatest defensive coordinator the league has ever seen, so it was a match made in heaven. But make no mistake, had Brady been drafted by another team, there would be NO talk of Belichick being the greatest HC ever.
He owes 75-80% of his credit to Brady, that was the guy who was actually on the field making clutch throws in tight Super Bowl after tight Super Bowl.

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, stuvian said:

I know we're supposed the hate the Pats but honestly, this season might be one of BB's best coaching jobs ever. That team is playing miles above their talent level and Mac Jones plays with the poise of 5 year pro.

I don’t exactly agree about mac but I don’t think the rest is far off…I think we are a tier or two above them roster talent wise and they’ve been competitive for sure.  Mac has looked absolutely lost to me the last two weeks against playoff caliber teams.  I think the pats had to revert to their windstorm gameplan a little more than they would’ve liked because mac got rattled on that first drive…reminded me of when we absolutely obliterated tua on the dolphins opening drive and knocked him out of the game 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan

3 hours ago, ganesh said:

This is what happens when you have beens spoilt for over two decades.  It is hard to accept the mediocrity.  We went through this right after the Flutie era.

Flutie sucked.  That was an era of a wasted defense.  Comparing the Flutie Bills to any Belichick Patriots team is laughable. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.