Boston Globe tough on Belichick

Shaw66

Wow.  Here's something the Globe said yesterday or today.

Patriots’ vaunted defense did not show up in biggest game of season, and it’s the reason they lost to Bills

Belichick deserves to be put under a microscope, because his team is falling apart in December for the second straight year. 

Last year it was three straight losses to fall out of playoff contention. This year it’s consecutive losses to the Colts and Bills that cost the Patriots the division title and the No. 1 seed.

The Patriots didn’t just lose these last two games — they were sloppy and ineffective on both sides of the ball. They wasted their bye week and were terrible against the Colts. Now, playing at home with the season on the line, the Patriots laid an egg on both sides of the ball.

It puts their seven-game win streak earlier this season in a different light. Maybe the Patriots really were just beating up on bad teams — and now are getting exposed by the playoff contenders.

With Tom Brady, the Patriots hardly ever lost in December. Between 2001-19, the Patriots went 67-16 in December, an .807 win percentage that was best in the NFL by more than .100 percentage points.

But Brady is gone now. And Belichick suddenly can’t win the big games in December.

• Like (+1) 7
  • Haha (+1) 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 4

Winning seven straight games is a big achievement and the Pats* deserved credit for that. When they started saying it was the greatest winning streak ever and talking them up as super bowl contenders it got ridiculous.
That MNF game showed me that the Pats* weren’t that good. I said to my friend in the way home, if that game was played in 50 degree weather with a light breeze, it’s an easy win for Buffalo. Shockingly, we saw how far apart these teams are in Sunday. They stole one, but the Bills are far more talented and have the superior player at the most important position

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 6

Generally accepted as the best HC in NFL history and has lead NE to 6 Super Bowl victories..........including one just 3 seasons ago..........but he deserves to be put under the microscope after dominating the NFL for 2 decades and winning 9 games this season and likely going to the playoffs with a rookie QB.

That's how it goes in big markets. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Generally accepted as the best HC in NFL history and has lead NE to 6 Super Bowl victories..........including one just 3 seasons ago..........but he deserves to be put under the microscope after dominating the NFL for 2 decades and winning 9 games this season and likely going to the playoffs with a rookie QB.

That's how it goes in big markets. 

Jerry?

• Haha (+1) 2

Imagine being a Globe reporter and having to listen to twenty years of low energy Bill mumbling his way through every interview, presser etc.   His smug answers, the dumb stare, all the uncomfortable pauses.  People like that are my worst nightmare, I wanna just shake the guy and say Dude you're in the entertainment business, AND you're gonna be dead in like 18 years, try to have a little more enthusiasm willya?!

Anyway I don't blame the media people for carrying a little frustration towards that soul crushingly boring ogre. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Winning seven straight games is a big achievement and the Pats* deserved credit for that. When they started saying it was the greatest winning streak ever and talking them up as super bowl contenders it got ridiculous.
That MNF game showed me that the Pats* weren’t that good. I said to my friend in the way home, if that game was played in 50 degree weather with a light breeze, it’s an easy win for Buffalo. Shockingly, we saw how far apart these teams are in Sunday. They stole one, but the Bills are far more talented and have the superior player at the most important position

What's crazy is that the Patriots AND the Dolphins both have 7 game win streaks this season. Dolphins could potentially add even more to their streak.

The Bills and Dolphins both lost to the Jaguars. Maybe the Patriots will follow suit. That would be funny.

• Like (+1) 5

15 minutes ago, Da webster guy said:

Imagine being a Globe reporter and having to listen to twenty years of low energy Bill mumbling his way through every interview, presser etc.   His smug answers, the dumb stare, all the uncomfortable pauses.  People like that are my worst nightmare, I wanna just shake the guy and say Dude you're in the entertainment business, AND you're gonna be dead in like 18 years, try to have a little more enthusiasm willya?!

Anyway I don't blame the media people for carrying a little frustration towards that soul crushingly boring ogre. 

Football, in general, might be about entertainment, but the head coache's job is not to entertain, it is to produce a winning team. A head coach should never have entertainment on their mind at all. Many of them are tough interviews, actually. They do it because they are forced to.

3 minutes ago, quinnearlysghost88 said:

Did they just assume they’d keep winning into infinity? What are their expectations? 

They drank the Kool aid. All we've been hearing over the past couple of months is how great Mac Jones is and how great Bill Belichick is, and how the Patriots might be the best team in the league. Reality is a hard pill to swallow.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

They need to stop looking through everything (anything) through the lens of what Tim Brady did

This is what happens when you have beens spoilt for over two decades.  It is hard to accept the mediocrity.  We went through this right after the Flutie era.

• Like (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, BillsfaninSB said:

If our coach won 6 Super Bowls I would give him the benefit of the doubt for a few down seasons. 

It's because they didn't "win" 6, three were arguably the result of cheating, and 2 were handed to them by Falcons and Seahawks coaches too stupid to run the ball.  Plus there's no more Marcia.  They know the emperor has no clothes.

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.