If the Bills re-sign Edmunds, they're stupid.

damj

19 hours ago, Max Fischer said:

You characterize $3-4M difference as "huge increase" but also $3M ($15M-$18M) as "not that far off . . .

First, despite consistent fan predictions/concerns that Edmunds will be paid Leonard, Warner and Wagner money, there is no, zip, nada, evidence that the Bills are considering that salary, no evidence that Edmunds will ask for that kind of money, or that Edmunds is expected to be offered that salary range. Per usual, no one associated with the Bills has said anything, and I've yet to see any non-Bill fan "cap expert" suggest that Edmunds is worth or will be paid like Leonard, Warner and Wagner.

Second, many good football experts say Milano and Edmunds positions are interchangeable. I agree, to a point, but the Bills seem to play to their strengths - Milano as a missile to seek and destroy, while Edmunds is much more a space eater, making the pass game much more difficult.  Clearly not everyone agrees, but I think the Bills believe Edmunds' skillset is much harder to replicate than Milano's. The Bills need them both to be an elite defense, but believe the Bills are willing to pay Edmunds more than Milano because Tremaine's replacement would be much, much harder to find, and those worth more to the team.

Not unless terms start with two early first round picks. 

If another team was dumb enough to offer that I can't imagine Beane not rushing to get the paperwork done to push that deal through.

I do think we could probably get one first round pick though because of his age and another team that understand he's miscast on this team and defense and would put him either outside in a traditional 3/4 or 4/3 defense.

• Eyeroll 1

1 hour ago, FilthyBeast said:

If another team was dumb enough to offer that I can't imagine Beane not rushing to get the paperwork done to push that deal through.

I do think we could probably get one first round pick though because of his age and another team that understand he's miscast on this team and defense and would put him either outside in a traditional 3/4 or 4/3 defense.

You lost us at "miscast."

On 1/9/2022 at 9:38 PM, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

As I said, I’ll rewatch the game and make my assessment.  Somewhat difficult to do being at the stadium. I’ll make my own judgment and not rely on these “experts” you speak of. 

So you'll defend a ridiculous ish stirrer in Sully by using his expertise as proof but now you bash the quote unquote experts?

You talk out of both sides of your mouth.

On 1/12/2022 at 1:59 PM, Max Fischer said:

You lost us at "miscast."

I don’t get why folks think he should move to DE. These are the same folks are upset that he doesn’t shed blocks well enough. So the answer is put him closer to blockers?  He’s athletic but not in the way to be a great DE. 

Maybe this was already mentioned  somewhere else, but for the Edmunds sucks crowd the Bills could’ve done a lot worse. Take a look at the Titans, they picked Rashaan Evans just a couple of picks later and that dude is inactive for today’s playoff game. Now that’s a linebacker not worthy of the spot he was picked 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I hate this thread.

Do people really think any player on the #1 ranked defense isn't good? 

If he was bad then opposing teams would go at him constantly and be successful doing it. If that was the case teams would be racking up points and yards.  Neither of which is happening.

Edmunds is the 6th youngest player on the team! There are rookies on this team younger than him!

Eve of the divisional playoffs and this thread exists....

Don't let perfect be the enemy of very good.  

Edmunds isn’t a bust, but he’s not an impact player. Money talks, so we’ll see how the team values him after next season.

For now, we’ve got 3 more games to win! And I hope he brings his A+ game every single one, because we’ll need it.

Edited by JayBaller10

4 minutes ago, JayBaller10 said:

Edmunds isn’t a bust, but he’s not an impact player. Money talks, so we’ll see how the team values him after next season.

For now, we’ve got 3 more games to win! And I hope he brings his A+ game every single one, because we’ll need it.

He’s very much an impact player as a pass defender, but as a run defender he’s abysmal.

27 minutes ago, Victory Formation said:

He’s very much an impact player as a pass defender, but as a run defender he’s abysmal.

That's how I feel. Is he worth 17M/ yr? We'll find out eventually.  For now you root your brains out for Tremaine and maybe he'll have that career defining play soon? 

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, section122 said:

I hate this thread.

If he was bad then opposing teams would go at him constantly and be successful doing it. If that was the case teams would be racking up points and yards.  Neither of which is happening.

Edmunds is the 6th youngest player on the team! There are rookies on this team younger than him!

The thread is getting bumped every time he has a good game.

Whether or not the Bills should resign Edmunds is for a different day. But according to Joe B in his latest Athletic article, he was and may be very important in our defense of the chiefs 

13. The real key isn’t in the Bills secondary

There was a lot of talk about Bills cornerback Dane Jackson and how he’ll replace White’s role in the defense from Week 5, but the Bills are likely to limit how often Jackson is in critical one-on-one situations. Based on how Mahomes operates out of structure, the real key to the defense is none other than middle linebacker Tremaine Edmunds. Edmunds was the hidden star of the Bills’ pass coverage in the last Chiefs game. You can see some of the snapshots of how Edmunds was a difference-maker from our All-22 review in October. The short version is that when Mahomes escaped the pocket, rather than running toward Mahomes, Edmunds turned and went hunting for the nearest receiver crossing the middle of the field — a crutch of Mahomes’ improvisational ability. Not many middle linebackers have the size and athleticism to pull that off. If the Chiefs have trouble doing this against the Bills, Edmunds will likely have a significant role in it.

4 hours ago, section122 said:

I hate this thread.

This is so true. Pay Cam Lewis $20M next year. He’s on the #1 defense, he can’t be not good!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 2

2 hours ago, FireChans said:

This is so true. Pay Cam Lewis $20M next year. He’s on the #1 defense, he can’t be not good!

See, this is how pitifully far someone has to stretch to argue against the obvious here. A stupid argument on the face of it, in every word.

Lewis has 55 snap on defense. Tremaine has 873, 94%. Pretending an occasional role player's  compares to the effect Edmunds has ... it's sad. On the other hand, those are the kind of arguments you have to take on that side of the question. So it's not all that surprising that silly examples show up here.

Nor is Edmunds going to get $20M when he re-signs with the Bills. He'll make a lot, but not $20M.

Severely sad argument.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

See, this is how pitifully far someone has to stretch to argue against the obvious here. A stupid argument on the face of it, in every word.

Lewis has 55 snap on defense. Tremaine has 873, 94%. Pretending an occasional role player's  compares to the effect Edmunds has ... it's sad. On the other hand, those are the kind of arguments you have to take on that side of the question. So it's not all that surprising that silly examples show up here.

Nor is Edmunds going to get $20M when he re-signs with the Bills. He'll make a lot, but not $20M.

Severely sad argument.

Ok then let’s pay Levi $20M.

the simple point that you missed is that a player can be good, and can play for the #1 defense, but still not worth X number of dollars.

Edited by FireChans
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

12 hours ago, BringBackFergy said:

I would hope so. 

11 hours ago, AuntieEm said:

Yea I caught that too I just gave the Op credit he meant to say older not younger.

Yeah sorry was a bit fired up lol.  Boogie is older than him as well as stevenson and hamlin.  

14 hours ago, Victory Formation said:

10 hours ago, LEBills said:

Whether or not the Bills should resign Edmunds is for a different day. But according to Joe B in his latest Athletic article, he was and may be very important in our defense of the chiefs 

I will say I'm stoked to have him more than ever against the Chiefs and prospective Bengals... Although Mixon can get his.

Personally I didn't look forward to seeing him vs Titans or (at the time) Patriots. I don't really feel strongly for whatever we're going to do with him as we're always going to have big games against teams like the Chiefs.

We're a juggernaut team with a finesse identity seems like. It'll work in this AFC.

39 minutes ago, Brennan Huff said:

How many impact plays has Milano, Poyer, or Hyde made today?

They have in other games. Edmunds... Nothing. I will never stop banging this drum. They need to improve at LB... Edmunds isn't good enough 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.