11/21 Colts at Bills, Postgame Postmortem Thread

Hapless Bills Fan

1 hour ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

Give me a break. We're still 6-4. 

The team has lost 3 of its last 4. We haven’t beaten a team with a winning record except for KC when it was in a slump. We haven’t beaten a team with a good starting veteran quarterback except for Patrick Mahomes when he was in a slump.

Every team in the competition knows how to beat us. We are no closer to being able to consistently stop the run than we were in 2019.

Alvin Kamara should be back for NO. on Thursday. We match up extremely badly against the Patriots team and even worse against their coaches; and we face Tom Brady and Leonard Fournette towards the business end of the season. And AB and Gronk should be back.

More than that, the team showed nothing today. The enthusiasm seems to be missing on the sideline. Josh is playing inconsistently and throwing intercepts. There is already Covid in the building and in the community and we are reportedly one of the least vaccinated teams in the competition. 
Hopefully, all this can be turned around but the trend is not good.

Edited by Jeff1954
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Draconator said:

Defense needs a rethink. We cannot stop the run against quality teams. I trust that McDermott and Fraiser can mae the necessary adjustments so we can be sucessful against quality teams.

We don’t have quality defensive line depth.  Star being out made a huge difference. No pressure on Wentz and Taylor destroyed us.  

I hope they can make changes that make a difference, just not sure we have the depth players on defense to do so.

1 minute ago, delirious said:

I get really upset when we hear how Coach is Mr. Process and detail oriented, but yet the Bills are consistently committing tons of penalties every week. It's so sad after every big play I have to hold my breath because of a flag.

And part of that is on the crap refs, but our team is consistently committing a lot of penalties. It's been this way since he started here.

It also seems that Mr. Process would be doing whatever he could to ensure that his most important players are available to play. “Respecting their decisions,” how’s that working out for ya, Coach?

7 minutes ago, klos63 said:

The Steelers game was a wakeup call.

The Titans game was a wakeup call,

The Jax game was a wakeup call... we here this after every loss this season. Wakeup call, learning experience, blah blah blah

I mean I usually hit snooze on my alarms at least three times...😂

• Like (+1) 1

This is the first loss that makes me question the rest of the season.   This Bills team is underachieving.  They are the same team as last year with some added depth, but they are suddenly looking a like a wild card team at best.  The first three losses brought up concerns, this last one was flat out embarrassing. 

It has been very hard to watch football this year even before the Bills started floundering.   Refs are worse than ever with flags every other play, conference after conference between plays, flags thrown and picked up, two refs making different calls on the same play and no consistency.   Commercials seem to be more than before, and announcers just focus on one or two "fun fact" storylines(ex Josh Allen vs Josh Allen) and repeat the same corny ass one liners dozens of times. 

Yes, Buffalo can beat the Saints on Thursday, yes, a win against New England in two weeks, gives them momentum again, but it is suddenly not a guarantee.    I hope that Buffalo will turn it around and will watch until they can't anymore, but if they fall out of it, I may be done with watching the NFL for this year. 

Edited by dgrochester55
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, Buffalo619 said:

Truth. He hasn’t been making the best decisions, looks almost rookieish since the bye. 

Double amen.....listen the smartest QB ever Josh....Peyton Manning on this years MNF....nobody ever went broke taking a profit.   If thats what the D is giving you, you take it.    And you keep taking it until they change.

Edited by billsfan714
  • Like (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, 716er said:

Nobody played well except Diggs and Sanders. They both made all the plays that went their way.

Oline was also better than expected. The defense and McKenzie’s fumble lost this game. That McKenzie fumble might be the worst play I have ever seen.

I'm still going with this one:

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Jeff1954 said:

The team has lost 3 of its last 4. We haven’t beaten a team with a winning record except for KC when it was in a slump. We haven’t beaten a team with a good starting veteran quarterback except for Patrick Mahomes when he was in a slump.

Every team in the competition knows how to beat us. We are no closer to being able to consistently stop the run than we were in 2019.

Alvin Kamara should be back for NO. on Thursday. We match up extremely badly against the Patriots team and even worse against their coaches; and we face Tom Brady and Leonard Fournette towards the business end of the season. And AB and Gronk should be back.

More than that, the team showed nothing today. Josh is playing inconsistently and throwing intercepts. There is already Covid in the building and in the community and we are reportedly one of the least vaccinated teams in the competition. 

This is not accurate. We've been run on worse and team has bounced back. Did u see Chiefs regular season game last year?

We had a solid record versus rushing teams last year. 

Look 6-4 games versus Saints, Panthers, Falcons, Jets. Games we should be favored. Honestly next week is huge, and Bills should win. 

This gets us 10 wins. Split versus Pats likely gets us 11 wins, and we roll the dice with Tampa. 

Keep in mind down best run stuffer and OL.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Bob in STL said:

Allen was not the problem.  Sure, he had a bad pick after penalties turned a sure first down into 3rd and 18.  

How many drops?  I counted 5 in a row in the 3Q alone.  

The blocking is terrible.  We cannot function with 2 OL injured. We have no backups.  

Josh had a bad game.  First couple of drives he misfired a few times and generally looked out of sorts.  Had a couple of drops also.  One or two plays he fired the ball in too hard for the weather.

Was it the putrid oline?  Can’t just blame them.  Josh had time on some plays and overthrew, whiffed or didn’t have the right touch.  

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, RichRiderBills said:

This is not accurate. We've been run on worse and team has bounced back. Did u see Chiefs regular season game last year?

Look 6-4 games versus Saints, Panthers, Falcons, Jets. Games we should be favored. Honestly next week is huge, and Bills should win. 

This gets us 10 wins. Split versus Pats likely gets us 11 wins, and we roll the dice with Tampa. 

Perhaps but we can’t assume they will win those winnable games. Everyone thought they would beat the Jags before that game happened.  Something is not right with this team but hopefully they can figure it out. 

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Best Williams Available said:

Of course Brown isn’t vaxxed. Look what he re-tweets. Respecting his decision to be selfish on a team that preaches “process” oxymoronic.

Sorry if this sounds political, most pointing out coaches’ hypocrisy.

In fairness saying anything else would have been counterproductive.

10 minutes ago, RichRiderBills said:

I wish icould share your optimism. I'm just not feeling it...

4 minutes ago, CEN-CAL17 said:

Where’s McDs BS post game press conference?

I need a good laugh. We are to the point I don’t think anyone is buying into his process….. 

Smash Mouth football…. Well we have our Base Nickel package…. 

Yeah football is a game for bad people (on the field anyway). And I don’t think it’s necessarily a scheme thing either. Some of those Carolina Ds were pretty badass. 

20 minutes ago, Jeff1954 said:

More than that, the team showed nothing today. The enthusiasm seems to be missing on the sideline. Josh is playing inconsistently and throwing intercepts. There is already Covid in the building and in the community and we are reportedly one of the least vaccinated teams in the competition. 
Hopefully, all this can be turned around but the trend is not good.

It’s actually 2 of last 4. 3 of last 6.

6 minutes ago, CEN-CAL17 said:

Where’s McDs BS post game press conference?

I need a good laugh. We are to the point I don’t think anyone is buying into his process….. 

Smash Mouth football…. Well we have our Base Nickel package…. 

It was on about 40 minutes ago 

3 minutes ago, starrymessenger said:

In fairness saying anything else would have been counterproductive.

it’s not about what he said after the game. 

There were ways to get the message across all preseason about availability being the best kind of ability.  He didn’t do that.  It’s a pretty big hole in the process if you ask me. 

• Like (+1) 2

Some thoughts:

Passing is so much more difficult than running because there are more variables. 

With our current staff, philosophy, and players, I believe we’ve peaked and are on the way down as far offensive production potential goes. 

because our defense is built to play with a lead, the teams success is dependent on the success of the passing game, the team has peaked and is on the downhill. 

Need a change in one or all: players, staff, philosophy. 

4 minutes ago, BRH said:

There were ways to get the message across all preseason about availability being the best kind of ability.  He didn’t do that.  It’s a pretty big hole in the process if you ask me. 

Do you think it would have made a difference in this case.

26 minutes ago, BRH said:

Brown is not “injured” any more than Star is.  Calling them “injured” conveys the sense that they’re out because of something they did while trying to help the team.   For them it’s the complete opposite.  Call them what they are.  Unvaccinated selfish idiots. 

The were on the Injured/Covid list.  Get a grip.  I am not interested in your political rants or your childish attacks on people you don’t even know.   The Mods said to keep Covid and politics out of this thread. 

My point is valid. We cannot function with two OL starters out.  We have no backups. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, starrymessenger said:

Do you think it would have made a difference in this case.

I do, actually.  On both sides of the ball.  It’s easy to look at a final score and say it’s too lopsided to let two players make a difference, but there were several turning points in the game that were directly attributable to one or the other guy being out.  Cody Ford is not an NFL lineman and he was only in that game because Brown was unavailable.  His false start stalled our first drive.  Unfortunately, as others have said, this is not a team that plays well from behind.  If we had answered the first Colts TD with one of our own, maybe the whole tenor of the game changes.

I just don’t get it.  You have to do so much work as a coaching staff and a team to deal with injuries sustained on the field of play as it is.  Why would you willingly add to that workload by not doing whatever is within your power to limit COVID absences?  The rules put unvaxxed players out longer than vaccinated ones who catch COVID, and for good reason.  A good coach wouldn’t just leave that detail up to the players as much as this one has.

7 minutes ago, Bob in STL said:

The were on the Injured/Covid list.  Get a grip.  I am not interested in your political rants or your childish attacks on people you don’t even know.   The Mods said to keep Covid and politics out of this thread. 

My point is valid. We cannot function with two OL starters out.  We have no backups. 

I haven’t said jack about politics or COVID itself, so maybe you can get a grip yourself.  All I care about is having our players available as much as possible.  And unfortunately, what they decide to do with respect to the vaccine affects that availability.  I’d say the same about a player who did something else stupid off the field to miss a game. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

1 hour ago, y2zipper said:

I think the defense plays badly when they decide to blitz and overplay the run. Klein really can't cover and doesn't do anything when he's not blitzing.

The health of the offensive line is also breaking the team. Offense is 15 ppg when Brown doesn't play because Williams moves to tackle and it essentially makes 3 new starters with Feliciano out (and one of them is Ford, who the team also knows can't really play). The group without Brown doesn't recognize blitzes and doesn't protect consistently like the group with Dawkins Ike Morse Williams Brown does. The line is due for a revamp but nobody was complaining about retaining everyone in the off-season.

Actually a bunch of people were complaining.  Those who didn’t complain loudly, were hoping that between Ford and Feliciano with an off season to rehab and FA signings Forrest Lamp/Jamil Douglas, then potentially Boettger taking a step, the Bills would identify two capable guards.  I wasn’t unhappy when they re-signed Feliciano, but I thought they’d be drafting IOL pretty high

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, BRH said:

Poor planning and bad luck. We can sustain an injury or Covid game at WR or LB , but not RT or DT. 

39 minutes ago, dgrochester55 said:

This is the first loss that makes me question the rest of the season.   This Bills team is underachieving.  They are the same team as last year with some added depth, but they are suddenly looking a like a wild card team at best.  The first three losses brought up concerns, this last one was flat out embarrassing. 

It has been very hard to watch football this year even before the Bills started floundering.   Refs are worse than ever with flags every other play, conference after conference between plays, flags thrown and picked up, two refs making different calls on the same play and no consistency.   Commercials seem to be more than before, and announcers just focus on one or two "fun fact" storylines(ex Josh Allen vs Josh Allen) and repeat the same corny ass one liners dozens of times. 

Yes, Buffalo can beat the Saints on Thursday, yes, a win against New England in two weeks, gives them momentum again, but it is suddenly not a guarantee.    I hope that Buffalo will turn it around and will watch until they can't anymore, but if they fall out of it, I may be done with watching the NFL for this year. 

After the jags game and what I watched today I have no confidence in this team against the Saints… Spencer and Star will prolly still be out so I say we’re Screwed…

48 minutes ago, BRH said:

Brown is not “injured” any more than Star is.  Calling them “injured” conveys the sense that they’re out because of something they did while trying to help the team.   For them it’s the complete opposite.  Call them what they are.  Unvaccinated selfish idiots. 

They owe it to their teammates to make every reasonable effort to be ready to play each week. This is selfish in my opinion too.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, Bimmer323i said:

After the jags game and what I watched today I have no confidence in this team against the Saints… Spencer and Star will prolly still be out so I say we’re Screwed…

What about Edmunds and Feliciano? We are all focused on the 2 starters amout due to Covid, but we are also out 2 due to regular football injuries.

1 minute ago, Do The Reich Thing said:

Why do we have zero home field advantage? Is it the players? It’s not the fans because we’re loud and obnoxious as hell. 

Better team usually wins. It's pretty simple. If teams are evenly matched, maybe the crowd noise effects QB signals, but that's about it. 

Ask yourself, why would a team playing at home give them any significant advantage?  It's not like baseball where the ballparks are different and you tailor you team to your park dimensions.

6 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Thinking about this game more, I believe it came down to third downs more than anything. Coming in, I knew we had to get off the field on defense on 3rd down. We didn’t. They were 8/12 on 3rd down conversions. 

Yep, when we got the ball at the 2 minute mark left in the first half, that was our third possession of the day. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.