How about trying Antonio Williams?

SuperBills12

Might it be a good time use Antonio Williams in the run game? He's a bigger and more physical back. Although we have limited film, he did appear to have that burst we are lacking. Thoughts?

Clip: https://www.nfl.com/videos/williams-find-opening-for-second-td-on-the-day

Edited by SuperBills12
  • Like (+1) 5

I am sure pretty much everything is on the table at this point. I don’t think any player not playing currently is making a difference. If you want to run you have to commit to it. I think we had less than 10 attempts again. That’s just not gonna get anyone in a rhythm.

If you want to establish a run game you need at least 20 attempts in a game. We may not be efficient, we may average 2 yards a carry for awhile. Some games it may not work, but I’m of the mindset you still have to try. I don’t care what combo or how they’d like to distribute carries but I think the majority of fans don’t want to see designed runs for Allen anymore, and they don’t want to see 40+ pass attempts when we cannot execute pass protection. If they choose to pound Williams up the middle or try and get Breida around the edge or make a gap for singletary I’m good with it. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Sugar High JA17 said:

Williams!!!! We need guys like this to help too...Teller33560189_ScreenShot2021-11-08at2_18_48PM.png.a44d96923f0aac064e2548cd9c0b4815.png

Back up the truck. He’s gonna be a free agent. Speaks well of Buffalo and his time there. 

23 minutes ago, shane nelson said:

We need a physical power runner.  From what I have seen, which is limited, he could be that guy.  I like both Singletary and Moss, but they appear to be the same type of back.  We need a bruiser.    

Moss is absolutely a bruiser.

29 minutes ago, cage said:

I think they should consider going with Brieda and Williams.  Have Singletary take a seat, plus assuming Moss my be out.  

And how do these guys do in regards to Blitz pick ups....I would not bring both up and they are missing speed form the RB position imo there is no threat of the RB beating you to the edge

1 hour ago, SuperBills12 said:

Might it be a good time use Antonio Williams in the run game? He's a bigger and more physical back. Although we have limited film, he did appear to have that burst we are lacking. Thoughts?

Do you honestly think changing running backs is going to make any difference when it’s been well established that our backs have INCHES when it comes to YAC?   Many straws has been grasped here over the past 24 hours

• Agree 1

I like this thread. Realistic fixes to problems rather than just b*tching about Beane not constructing the perfect team.

Williams would be a nice replacement for Moss, short term. See if he has more juice... he'll definitely "want it" more than Moss.

This might be a hot take, but I wouldn't mind giving BOTH Breida and Williams a shot next week and sitting Singletary.

What does Singletary do well? Maybe some agility and some pass catching ability... but no speed and can't break a tackle to save his life.

If you have bad O-Line play, you need guys who can either run away from the pressure or run through it. Singletary can't do either.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Rigotz said:

What does Singletary do well? 

Singletary is averaging 4.9 yards per carry this season and 4.8 for his career.

What he does well is gain yards on the ground.

I've called him ordinary but the term is relative...........he HAS done a good job gaining yards rather consistently since he entered the league..........he just isn't a $15M/year RB.

If they weren't getting bitchslapt at the LOS he could certainly put up close to 1,000 yards on 12-14 carries per game.

• Like (+1) 5

Sitting Taiwan Jones and bring up Brieda and Williams would be fine by me. 

As others have said, none of these RB's are great but it's the o-line.  Let's not make this more complicated than it needs to be.  They couldn't run block last year and the hope was that with Ford healthy and Feliciano healthy the starting five that never played a snap together last year would be better.  Well it has worked out they are far worse.  Last year the group was an elite pass blocking unit.  This year they can't run block at all or pass block consistently.  Beane and McD screwed this up and unless Brown can come back and play a capable RT I can't see how they can make a legit SB run

I honestly think they just need to give one guy the bulk of the carries and still think that should be singletary who is the more well rounded back in terms of pass protection and pass catching. And the numbers say he's been the better guy all along.

So maybe this will be his chance this week to have a true breakout game and be the workhorse back going foward.

[This is an automated response]

As a courtesy to the other board members, please use more descriptive topic titles. A single name if far too vague to post as a title and provides little insight into what specifically the post is talking about.The topic starter can edit the topic title line to make it more appropriate.

Thank you.

3 hours ago, SuperBills12 said:

They should move him to active roster,  way more burst and speed.  What harm in playing against the Jets?

3 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Singletary is averaging 4.9 yards per carry this season and 4.8 for his career.

What he does well is gain yards on the ground.

I've called him ordinary but the term is relative...........he HAS done a good job gaining yards rather consistently since he entered the league..........he just isn't a $15M/year RB.

If they weren't getting bitchslapt at the LOS he could certainly put up close to 1,000 yards on 12-14 carries per game.

Great post and exactly right. Singletary is a good back and it is doubly impressive that he puts up the per carry averages he does behind such a poor run blocking oline.

He doesn't have speed, but and can make guys miss and he is a surprisingly hard runner and difficult to bring down if he can get some momentum. He has good contact balance.

The problem is, he is small. He isn't the type that can deal with defenders in the backfield right as he receives the handoff. In fact, I'm not sure if any running backs are good in that situation. Even the "bruiser" types need to get a few steps of momentum at least.

4 hours ago, starrymessenger said:

Back up the truck. He’s gonna be a free agent. Speaks well of Buffalo and his time there. 

Moss is absolutely a bruiser.

Moss may have been a bruiser in college , but #o far in his career in the NFL , he is the one getting bruised.  He is not a huge , bruising   Or fast back that strikes fear in NFL caliber players.  He was out last year with injuries a few games , got benched for some reason the first game of the season which actually is hard to believe, and now is in the concussion protocol so obviously he was the guy who made the wrong business decision when it came to being hit on that play.    He has 3-4  ok runs a game but can’t be counted on for short yardage so far. His best work has been in the screen game where he is dependable but he is not going to break away and be any consistent explosive play threat.  
The backs are one area where Beane has not done well.  He has under valued them because of Dabolls dependence on the passing game .  Mcd was not happy about the 9 carry running game in Jax and said that effort wouldn’t do as you at least have to make the d concerned about the run game.  He mentioned or responded to a reporter saying this was the second time this type of low attempt execution happened and he said it was not acceptable.  Sounds like he was in the middle of communicating things to his staff when he had  to break for the presser, and he was going back right after to continue getting his thoughts across ( paraphrase). As he said, we can’t ignore the stones in our shoes and he was addressing the issues that need to be fixed relatively quickly. Reading between the lines, he was not going to accept the same type of game planning / play calling relying so much on Josh throwing. I would bet Daboll won’t be so inflexible about running facing the Jets.

Moss may be out depending on the concussion protocol, and it would be a good time to try Williams.  I hope Beane rethinks his satisfaction level with our backs. They don’t exactly scare people running in open space., and regardless of the o line, this is the second year watching other teams backs look more effective in short yardage and in the red zone than moss or singletary.  After seeing Baltimore and even Tennessee replace their starters and still win or be competitive, it’s hard to believe we can’t find someone to challenge the 2.2 yard / carry our backs produced yesterday. It’s hard to find or replace interior lineman now , but our backs have a role in our lackluster run game as well. Why not kick the tires on someone, because if we sit still this years SB window appears to be slowly closing. ( the Steelers are making a comeback and how good is Harris helping revive Ben’s year and that offense ?  Evidence that it’s worth using higher picks on quality backs) 

1 hour ago, DrPJax said:

Moss may have been a bruiser in college , but #o far in his career in the NFL , he is the one getting bruised.  He is not a huge , bruising   Or fast back that strikes fear in NFL caliber players.  He was out last year with injuries a few games , got benched for some reason the first game of the season which actually is hard to believe, and now is in the concussion protocol so obviously he was the guy who made the wrong business decision when it came to being hit on that play.    He has 3-4  ok runs a game but can’t be counted on for short yardage so far. His best work has been in the screen game where he is dependable but he is not going to break away and be any consistent explosive play threat.  
The backs are one area where Beane has not done well.  He has under valued them because of Dabolls dependence on the passing game .  Mcd was not happy about the 9 carry running game in Jax and said that effort wouldn’t do as you at least have to make the d concerned about the run game.  He mentioned or responded to a reporter saying this was the second time this type of low attempt execution happened and he said it was not acceptable.  Sounds like he was in the middle of communicating things to his staff when he had  to break for the presser, and he was going back right after to continue getting his thoughts across ( paraphrase). As he said, we can’t ignore the stones in our shoes and he was addressing the issues that need to be fixed relatively quickly. Reading between the lines, he was not going to accept the same type of game planning / play calling relying so much on Josh throwing. I would bet Daboll won’t be so inflexible about running facing the Jets.

Moss may be out depending on the concussion protocol, and it would be a good time to try Williams.  I hope Beane rethinks his satisfaction level with our backs. They don’t exactly scare people running in open space., and regardless of the o line, this is the second year watching other teams backs look more effective in short yardage and in the red zone than moss or singletary.  After seeing Baltimore and even Tennessee replace their starters and still win or be competitive, it’s hard to believe we can’t find someone to challenge the 2.2 yard / carry our backs produced yesterday. It’s hard to find or replace interior lineman now , but our backs have a role in our lackluster run game as well. Why not kick the tires on someone, because if we sit still this years SB window appears to be slowly closing. ( the Steelers are making a comeback and how good is Harris helping revive Ben’s year and that offense ?  Evidence that it’s worth using higher picks on quality backs) 

You’re right. Moss is not at this level of play a big power back with a quick step and a move or two like say Dillon in Green Bay (a second round pick). But he is a tough runner and a very different back than Motor (who the poster I think was saying was the same). And I agree, and have said, that neither one is very good if compared with many others drafted around where they were, or later, so they have underperformed relative to where they were selected. They are far from Beane’s greatest accomplishments. And I think Beane knows this. Rumour is he was interested in Melvin Gordon. For sure he had discussions regarding leveon Bell and now (some say) Adrian Peterson.

But, in my opinion both Moss and Motor can be serviceable, meaning that they are capable of doing just enough to keep opposing defences honest to where the passing game can progress. They don’t do that of course but the reason has more to do with an o line that can’t run block, either because the ability isn’t there or because Daboll is simply not good at scheming and play calling for a ground game. It looks completely underdeveloped. Daboll is no Greg Roman. It was especially ineffective yesterday as you say. Get a better back and yes you will get better production but behind the line we saw yesterday it’s not likely to be enough to materially change how opposing DCs plan for the Bills offence, which I think would remain too unidimensional. But hey maybe they will now get it together. We will see.

While Beane wasn’t maybe at his best when he picked his backs, his bigger mistake imo was picking Ford instead of Risner (who went right after) and sending Teller to Cleveland. 

Edited by starrymessenger

5 hours ago, FilthyBeast said:

I honestly think they just need to give one guy the bulk of the carries and still think that should be singletary who is the more well rounded back in terms of pass protection and pass catching. And the numbers say he's been the better guy all along.

So maybe this will be his chance this week to have a true breakout game and be the workhorse back going foward.

I agree. I think he would be more effective as the so called feature back. 

14 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Maybe week 1 or 2

edit - it was week 1, moss was inactive 

He was the recipient of the ill-fated pitch on fourth and stupid. 

9 hours ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

I'm going to say this with all due respect.   You could have ***** Barry Sanders back there.  The oline is horrid.  Makes zero difference 

Agreed.  Maybe with Breida we get the speed necessary to run an outside zone here and there.  I'm out of answers on the o-line and the run game.  They suck, it sucks, and it won't improve measurably until the interior play improves.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.