Gabe Davis drops game winner

Da webster guy

Rewatched 4th Q.  No question if Gabe Davis catches the short throw from Josh that appeared to hit him in the hands, if he doesnt score we are at least 1st down on the 20yd line down 3 with a minute left.

As poorly as we played, that would have swung the game.  Didnt realize how critical of a drop that was until the rewatch.  Gabe won us 1st Miami game last year and Indy playoff game with his hands and concentration, sucks that he couldnt have pulled it off again.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

Just now, Da webster guy said:

Rewatched 4th Q.  No question if Gabe Davis catches the short throw from Josh that appeared to hit him in the hands, if he doesnt score we are at least 1st down on the 20yd line down 3 with a minute left.

As poorly as we played, that would have swung the game.  Didnt realize how critical of a drop that was until the rewatch.  Gabe won us 1st Miami game last year and Indy playoff game with his hands and concentration, sucks that he couldnt have pulled it off again.

What sucks is a alleged contender needs that play to beat a 1-6 football team that hasn’t won in the US for over a year. And was just skull drug by Geno ***** Smith 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

That Gabe Davis play. Yea.  , and i knew we were jinxed when all the national pregame shows put up Josh Allen’s ridiculously productive 2021 road stats. They were gushing. and i thought to myself well, he’s due for a regression, a stinker. and the whole offense stunk.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

What sucks is a alleged contender needs that play to beat a 1-6 football team that hasn’t won in the US for over a year. And was just skull drug by Geno ***** Smith 

Yep, this.  A game against this type of team should never get to where a single play is needed to win it. There is no excuse for not easily winning by 14.

The offense is bad right now, real bad 

• Like (+1) 1

Gabe Davis hasn’t been involved all season. I think that was only his 2nd target all game. You hear about calling plays to get WRs involved, slants, screens, etc, and as a 4th string receiver he doesn’t have that luxury, so I think he got caught with his head not in the game.

There were missed opportunities all day.  The offense was totally out of sync.   While it may be true about Davis and that play, it was one play and this game never should have come down to one play.

Oh and dont underestimate this offenses ability to completely screw up 1st and 10 at the 20 by creating a 3rd and 35 from the 45 through penalties, bad sacks, etc.

• Haha (+1) 1

Allen was embarrassed today. The Jags pulled his pants down all afternoon and he didn't even bother pulling them up.

His o-line was hot garbage, his receivers had critical drops, and the playcalling seemed to be horrible most of the day. Still, Josh's decision making was abysmal. Honestly it's been a problem throughout the year from my seats. He's just so good of a talent (as is most of the rest of the team) that he keeps overcoming it, but something is off with him this year.

There were like 10 plays today that could have made this a W, but that shouldn't have even been the issue. We should have beat this team by 30.

Edited by BullBuchanan
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Or….our $250 MILLION quarterback could’ve just walked forward for the first down. 

I wouldn't call it "walked", but he probably could've run for the 1st down.

Thing is that if Davis makes that catch he makes another 10+ yards (unlike Allen).

Oh and if we are blaming Allen or Davis, let's have a look who the hell was Williams blocking very next snap. THAT was brutal.

Edited by No_Matter_What
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, No_Matter_What said:

I wouldn't call it "walked", but he probably could've run for the 1st down.

Thing is that if Davis makes that catch he makes another 10+ yards (unlike Allen).

Sorry, I just have trouble putting it all on back up receiver when our starting QB played like garbage from start to finish.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, SoCal Deek said:

Sorry, I just have trouble putting it all on back up receiver when our starting QB played like garbage from start to finish.

We are talking about different things. I am not commenting on performance of either.

I am just saying that there was a logic in Allens decision to throw it and not to run for the first down only.

15 minutes ago, Da webster guy said:

was wondering if that was a designed play or a Josh Allen improv. It looked like a really neat play. 

Our OLine sucks and league knows it. Can't make a yard, can't contain a 4 man rush and can't pick up a blitz. Instead of a 2nd round DE that is a regular healthy scratch a OL like Creed Humphrey would really be useful now. But we stood still with mediocrity. The entire interior OL is awful and will derail this team.  That Daboll still calls 1 yard runs on 1st down is numbing.  I can't remember a game that disgusted me more. Our D holds them to 9 eff-in points and we lose. Christ.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, No_Matter_What said:

We are talking about different things. I am not commenting on performance of either.

I am just saying that there was a logic in Allens decision to throw it and not to run for the first down only.

As I saw it was just one in a long list of bad decisions by Josh today. He’s dying to be a highlight reel of improvisation but it has a definite down side. That side was on full display today. 

3 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

As I saw it was just one in a long list of bad decisions by Josh today. He’s dying to be a highlight reel of improvisation but it has a definite down side. That side was on full display today. 

I'm not sure how that's a bad decision by Allen...the receiver is wide open for a gimme shovel pass 8 yards downfield and he was still behind the LOS...why take a shot from a LB when he had a gimme play to a wide open guy?   

24 minutes ago, mattynh said:

There were missed opportunities all day.  The offense was totally out of sync.   While it may be true about Davis and that play, it was one play and this game never should have come down to one play.

Oh and dont underestimate this offenses ability to completely screw up 1st and 10 at the 20 by creating a 3rd and 35 from the 45 through penalties, bad sacks, etc.

So true, it's not like we haven't seen that movie before. With how bad our OL has been playing,  I wish we had just kicked the damn fg today and v the Titans. Bass is our best redzone threat at this point. 

12 minutes ago, Green Lightning said:

Our OLine sucks and league knows it. Can't make a yard, can't contain a 4 man rush and can't pick up a blitz. Instead of a 2nd round DE that is a regular healthy scratch a OL like Creed Humphrey would really be useful now. But we stood still with mediocrity. The entire interior OL is awful and will derail this team.  That Daboll still calls 1 yard runs on 1st down is numbing.  I can't remember a game that disgusted me more. Our D holds them to 9 eff-in points and we lose. Christ.

Exactly right.  This offense isn't going anywhere like this.  Receivers covered and or Josh too quickly pressured,  Thats what happens when a 4-5 man rush makes a line Swiss cheese consistently.  Every team will do this.

58 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

Allen was embarrassed today. The Jags pulled his pants down all afternoon and he didn't even bother pulling them up.

His o-line was hot garbage, his receivers had critical drops, and the playcalling seemed to be horrible most of the day. Still, Josh's decision making was abysmal. Honestly it's been a problem throughout the year from my seats. He's just so good of a talent (as is most of the rest of the team) that he keeps overcoming it, but something is off with him this year.

There were like 10 plays today that could have made this a W, but that shouldn't have even been the issue. We should have beat this team by 30.

He’s on pace for 4500 yards 35 touchdowns 

1 hour ago, SoCal Deek said:

Or….our $250 MILLION quarterback could’ve just walked forward for the first down. 

Allen should and in fact he must throw that ball every time.  It wasn't 4th down and Davis has to make that catch.  If you want to lose Allen for the year then yea he should have run the ball.

21 minutes ago, 716er said:

Worse is Josh keeping the option and not handing it to Devin 

That was worse then an NFL WR not making that catch? Please.  Do you watch any college football?  Under the best circumstances the Bills run a piss poor read option.

1 hour ago, JayBaller10 said:

Gabe Davis hasn’t been involved all season. I think that was only his 2nd target all game. You hear about calling plays to get WRs involved, slants, screens, etc, and as a 4th string receiver he doesn’t have that luxury, so I think he got caught with his head not in the game.

If that is really the case, he should be traded or cut.  Luckily, that wasn’t the case. 

5 minutes ago, NewEra said:

If that is really the case, he should be traded or cut.  Luckily, that wasn’t the case. 

I guess you’ve never played sports. Sure, it’s the players’ job to be ready whenever their number is called, to come through with the spectacular or even routine play, but if someone hasn’t been involved in the game - all game - I cant and wont tar & feather them when they fail to make the play that comes to them. Players can and do absolutely “check out” if they’re victims of long stretches of inactivity.  

I don’t know enough about WR roles but last year Davis did well and played a lot more. This year basically the same personnel, we just swapped Brown for Sanders, yet barely any playing time? Are Davis and Sanders essentially the same player, while Brown was not (speedster)? Seems like in physical games like these a bigger WR could benefit us.

Edited by Best Williams Available
  • Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Best Williams Available said:

I don’t know enough about WR roles but last year Davis did well and played a lot more. This year basically the same personnel, we just swapped Brown for Sanders, yet barely any playing time? Are David and Sanders essentially the same player, while Brown was not (speedster)? Seems like in physical games like these a bigger WR could benefit us.

I don't see that "take the top off" receiver on the roster. I'd be willing to put up with Desean Jackson for rest of season to fill that role

So I just re-watched this play:

1) it was not a designed RPO-type play. Morse got blown up and it was a jail Break, which caused Josh to run forward. 

2) Gabe should have caught it, but it was slightly behind him at a weird angle, and so I can see why he dropped it. 

3) josh was getting tackled from behind if he didn’t throw. 

23 minutes ago, Man with No Name said:

there is no focus because basically every play is a fire play that needs constant improvisation. it is impossible to get into any kind of rhythm with the offensive line playing the way it does. 

Great way to explain what happened today and for over a half against Miami last week.  I think it can be fixed with some daring moves by the Bills coaches and Brown/Felliciano getting healthy.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.