Rousseau vs Sewell. Bills vs Lions Preseason

Protocal69

10 hours ago, Allen2Diggs said:

Rousseau's 1st NFL action:

11 pass-rushing snaps 

3 Pressures 

1 Sack 

And this was against the Lions starting offensive line

And Detroit’s o-line is supposed to phenomenal. Well, at least according to the announcers. 

• Haha (+1) 1

Anybody know why Sewell was playing RT? Mentally it's the same thing, but muscle memory takes a hot mirroring your normal moves like that.

Rousseau looked great, that sack looked exactly like his college tape. Bull rush yourself in the vicinity of qb and let them long arms finish it up. Super hard to defend. The dudes so raw, he has like 2years HS and one year college at the position. And shaking off a 16months of rust. Pretty impressive 

• Like (+1) 2

9 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

His voices quality didn't really bother me, it was that he talked non stop for 8 1/2 minutes much of which was not Germaine to the topic.  Like what a perfect play would even look like.  The video could have easily been about 1/2 that long.

This. 

His voice was far from sonorous, but it certainly wasn’t anywhere as bad as I was expecting based on the thread. 

He absolutely needs to slow down, and minimize his words so he doesn’t feel the need to speed talk through his analysis. 

• Like (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, BillsShredder83 said:

Anybody know why Sewell was playing RT? Mentally it's the same thing, but muscle memory takes a hot mirroring your normal moves like that.

Rousseau looked great, that sack looked exactly like his college tape. Bull rush yourself in the vicinity of qb and let them long arms finish it up. Super hard to defend. The dudes so raw, he has like 2years HS and one year college at the position. And shaking off a 16months of rust. Pretty impressive 

I think Taylor Decker is keeping the seat warm and holds the job for a year or two while Sewell develops

8 hours ago, JMF2006 said:

If he has a career 1/2 as good as either of those guys he will be a steal.

Agreed. Just because he shares the same measureables doesn't mean it'll equate to the same performance level. You can have all the tools and still be a 💩 mechanic. 😅

18 hours ago, IronMaidenBills said:

I’m really excited about Rousseau. I was really excited when we drafted him when others were reserved. His go go gadget arms are going to cause a lot of problems. Reminds me of Bruce’s mitts. 

I was one of those who were not the biggest fans of drafting Rousseau I really wanted Jason Oweh , but man I think Rousseau will be a beast and I’m thrilled that he’s a Buffalo Bill !!!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Joe Ferguson said:

Is he part of the team in the podcast called The Rockpile Report?

I don’t think he’s a bills fan but I could be wrong.  I haven’t watched a lot of his stuff, maybe 4-5 videos over the last year.  Mostly just Josh Allen videos

21 hours ago, BringBackFergy said:

With all due respect, I listened to 67 seconds of that guy and found myself walking toward the steak knife drawer in my kitchen. Holy %#*!

You are a braver and stronger man than I, good sir. I tapped out at 19 seconds lol.

• Haha (+1) 2

11 hours ago, Charles Romes said:

That sack by Rousseau last night in his third snap in a Bills uniform was more impressive than anything in his entire college highlight reel. 

I was thinking the same thing. Impressive play by the kid

On 8/13/2021 at 9:16 PM, BringBackFergy said:

With all due respect, I listened to 67 seconds of that guy and found myself walking toward the steak knife drawer in my kitchen. Holy %#*!

I agree 100%, ESPN and NFL network have much more accurate coverage 🤔 

13 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I think Taylor Decker is keeping the seat warm and holds the job for a year or two while Sewell develops

I could be wrong but I don’t think you draft an olineman 7 overall to sit for a year or two? I’ve never seen that happen.

now if he’s a bust and doesn’t start for them then that’s another thing

14 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Decker is a decent player. They didn't take Sewell because they "need" a left tackle. They took him because he was BPA at a premium position. I'd argue the last two years Decker has been their best player and he is only 27. 

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, NewEra said:

I was thinking the same thing. Impressive play by the kid

I was NOT thinking the same thing.😉

But because of all of the people who thought Rousseau was going to be a bust............I do expect to hear a lot more things like "he didn't do that in college".

Would that play have moved the needle for fans in the draft process?   Reality is that he barely touched the QB.......he never truly disengaged cleanly from the block etc.. 

But that play is an example of how his style translates.........I certainly would hope he'd have improved his game some after almost 19 months to work on it since his last appearance........but that sack was totally consistent with what got him the big numbers in 2019..........he has a unique way of impacting plays behind the LOS.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

3 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Would that play have moved the needle for fans in the draft process?   Reality is that he barely touched the QB.......he never truly disengaged cleanly from the block etc.. 

But that play is an example of how his style translates.........I certainly would hope he'd have improved his game some after almost 19 months to work on it since his last appearance........but that sack was totally consistent with what got him the big numbers in 2019..........he has a unique way of impacting plays behind the LOS.

Some pressures are more equal than others....

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I was NOT thinking the same thing.😉

But because of all of the people who thought Rousseau was going to be a bust............I do expect to hear a lot more things like "he didn't do that in college".

that’s what was so impressive about it.  He won the battle with Sewell almost completely with length.  Rousseau turned Sewell into a one arm player by completing negating his outside arm while trying to beat him to the outside.  To do that vs a player of sewells strength and anchor impressed me.  It impressed several people.  But not you.  Not surprised.  You already knew Rousseau could do that routinely.

it’s a promising start to his career 

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, NewEra said:

that’s what was so impressive about it.  He won the battle with Sewell almost completely with length.  Rousseau turned Sewell into a one arm player by completing negating his outside arm while trying to beat him to the outside.  To do that vs a player of sewells strength and anchor impressed me.  It impressed several people.  But not you.  Not surprised.  You already knew Rousseau could do that routinely.

No doubt and how many snaps did he play? Sewell will likely be in the top echelon of linemen for the next 7-8 years. What Greg did was impressive.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, NewEra said:

Agree with lots of what you said except the bolded.. he is a tremendous athlete and his upside is unreal but his play strength was his biggest weakness at Oregon

On 8/15/2021 at 5:36 PM, NewEra said:

Oh, I've been impressed.   

He is literally unique, though.

I can't recall ever seeing any players with a comparable pass rush style.

I'm not saying he's going to be like Aaron Donald or JJ Watt in that regard...........but whatever he becomes it probably wouldn't be wise for teams to waste time trying to find the next one.

Even the similar body type comps......Alfred and Mario Williams for example.........had very different styles.

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Oh, I've been impressed.   

I'm not saying he's going to be like Aaron Donald or JJ Watt in that regard...........but whatever he becomes it probably wouldn't be wise for teams to waste time trying to find the next one.

Even the similar body type comps......Alfred and Mario Williams for example.........had very different styles.

He's a lighter Calais Campbell. 

The most impressive thing about the play where Rousseau's sack occured is that every defensive lineman won their battle:

Rousseau jabbed Sewell with one arm and got him off balance and got the other hand on the qb.

Harrison Phillips started with a bullrush, then a swim move to cleanly beat his man and charged directly at the qb.

Ed Oliver got stonewalled initially, then stunted around the right side to get into the backfield.

Epenesa didn't get to the qb, but he continuously  pushed the RT backwards and drew a doubleteam from the RG.

Our depth on the defensive line should allow everyone go 100% every snap, causing many more plays like this one.

Edited by Allen2Diggs
  • Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

He's a lighter Calais Campbell. 

Currently drooling all over myself. I've seen Rousseau compared to Jevon Kearse a couple of times before and was like "haha that would be nice" but it's looking more and more like he's legit. The edge presence we've wanted for years? Right now? Oh man.

50 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Oh, I've been impressed.   

IMO. More like an extremely raw Julius Peppers when he slimmed down to play in a 3-4. The sack and play after you can see repeatedly in Peppers highlights. 🤞🏼 that this kid develops into something remotely close to that. 

2 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Oh, I've been impressed.   

Yeah I like the Mario comparison. I had read or watched, I forget where, that Jerry recommended that rousseau watch Mario’s tape and consider using some of his moves.    The DLs potential has me excited. Epenesa is the wild card.  If he can be a plus pass rusher and solid vs the run during the next 3 years, our D should be improved with Rousseau on the other side.  I don’t ever expect Boogie to be more than versatile and solid depth.  Then there’s Obada.  Wish we had him on a longer contract.  I think he may cash in after the season. Sending waves of fresh bodies.  

Getting big leads with our newfound elite superstar QB throwing haymakers will force teams to pass and allows us to take star out and line up 4 pass rushers.  All fresh and ready to go.  Let’s hope they can get to the QB

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GoBills808 said:

Taller Cam Wake

Just wondering why you would compare him to wake?  Iirc wake had the 2nd highest vertical ever recorded at the combine, regardless of position.  I think it was like 45 inches. Rousseau isn’t nearly as explosive as an athlete.  I assume Wake has a giant wingspan as well?

9 hours ago, Buffalo Junction said:

IMO. More like an extremely raw Julius Peppers when he slimmed down to play in a 3-4. The sack and play after you can see repeatedly in Peppers highlights. 🤞🏼 that this kid develops into something remotely close to that. 

That's an interesting one for sure.  But Peppers was a much better natural athlete and more conventional as a pass rusher, IMO.   GR was a 3 star recruit for a reason, he's not a broadly spectacular athlete.   I really thought Peppers was going to be better than Bruce/Reggie when I was watching him dominate at UNC.  A conversation for top 10 all-time NFL athlete type.   He had it all, except maybe that real killer instinct(in an era where that mattered more), which is why despite being an obvious HOF'er he kinda' underachieved for much of his career IMO.    

Rousseau isn't that kind of athlete but he really plays LONG.  Peppers always struck me as not really getting the max advantage of his height/length.   I'd say that about most of the tall comps.    Rousseau seems to get the max benefit of his length and that is unique to me.   Whether that materializes into him being extraordinary we will see but I do see him as a guy who could maximize his talents statistically because he just has a combination of length, hands and awareness that will lead to a lot of numbers behind the LOS.      

• Like (+1) 1

Something I noticed is that yesterday, Daboll said that Daryl Williams has been the most consistent OL in camp. Yet it seems like every time they say Rousseau makes a play in camp,  he is beating DW. Not sure if that’s good for Rousseau, or bad for the rest of the OL. But I’m thinking based on how DW played at RT last year, its good for Rousseau. Not like he’s doing it vs scrubs or rookies. 

• Like (+1) 2