Saints to cut Emmanuel Sanders

wppete

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/03/10/saints-to-cut-emmanuel-sanders/

The Saints still have work to do to get under the salary cap, and veteran wide receiver Emmanuel Sanders is the latest casualty.

New Orleans will cut Sanders, and Sanders confirmed the move on Instagram.

“New Orleans it’s been real. Sucks we didn’t bring a Super Bowl to the city which was the goal when I signed but it was a blessing to showcase my talents in front of you guys,” Sanders wrote.

Losing Sanders will hurt, as Sanders was the Saints’ leading wide receiver last season with 61 catches for 726 yards. Although Sanders is about to turn 34 years old, he’s still playing at a high level.

But the Saints simply have no choice but to make some painful decisions, and cutting Sanders and his $6 million salary is one of them. Now Sanders hits free agency.

Edited by wppete

6 minutes ago, wppete said:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/03/10/saints-to-cut-emmanuel-sanders/

The Saints still have work to do to get under the salary cap, and veteran wide receiver Emmanuel Sanders is the latest casualty.

New Orleans will cut Sanders, and Sanders confirmed the move on Instagram.

“New Orleans it’s been real. Sucks we didn’t bring a Super Bowl to the city which was the goal when I signed but it was a blessing to showcase my talents in front of you guys,” Sanders wrote.

Losing Sanders will hurt, as Sanders was the Saints’ leading wide receiver last season with 61 catches for 726 yards. Although Sanders is about to turn 34 years old, he’s still playing at a high level.

But the Saints simply have no choice but to make some painful decisions, and cutting Sanders and his $6 million salary is one of them. Now Sanders hits free agency.

this guy is one of my least favorite players. I think it has to do with the fact that I think he is an okay #2 receiver (yet thinks he is a hall of famer), and he was so quick to badmouth roethlisberger when he left Pittsburgh for Denver. 

• Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, Logic said:

Beane tried to sign him last time he was a FA, but lost out to NO.

For that reason , if the Bills signed him, it wouldn’t shock me.

Beane has really wanted him. I don't know if he tried to sign him last year but he did try to trade for him before Diggs. 

I think they feel good about Davis though. I don't think they will replace John Brown with a vet if released. They could circle back to Stills. 

I’d love to add Sanders.....for the vet minimum.  Solid player.  Can still contribute.   Not worth over a couple mill to our team imo.

If we let JB go, I don’t view sanders as a good replacement 

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

this guy is one of my least favorite players. I think it has to do with the fact that I think he is an okay #2 receiver (yet thinks he is a hall of famer), and he was so quick to badmouth roethlisberger when he left Pittsburgh for Denver. 

Given Ben R.'s history, if there's conflict between anyone and Ben R., I'll take the other guy's side. He's always been pretty quick to throw people under the bus. Also, I had a friend/boss who went to Miami(OH) at the same time and she was not someone who pays attention to any sports, but when I mentioned him she got quiet, she shook her head and said everyone knew about Ben R. and there was a big "stay away from him" vibe on campus. 

When the Diggs thing happened, Sanders seemed genuinely disappointed he didn't "get" to come to Buffalo, so while I'd rather we extend Brown and lessen his hit, I would be excited to see him come to Buffalo.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, thurst44 said:

Given Ben R.'s history, if there's conflict between anyone and Ben R., I'll take the other guy's side. He's always been pretty quick to throw people under the bus. Also, I had a friend/boss who went to Miami(OH) at the same time and she was not someone who pays attention to any sports, but when I mentioned him she got quiet, she shook her head and said everyone knew about Ben R. and there was a big "stay away from him" vibe on campus. 

When the Diggs thing happened, Sanders seemed genuinely disappointed he didn't "get" to come to Buffalo, so while I'd rather we extend Brown and lessen his hit, I would be excited to see him come to Buffalo.

Don’t necessarily disagree with you.

But as I recall, his Comments were gratuitous. I think it was, “thank goodness I now have a real QB in Peyton Manning.”  This, after Ben sort of made him by feeding him the ball. The Steelers cycle through receivers like Sanders all the time— they look a lot Better when you have a great QB throwing the ball to you.

2 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Well in his defense, Big Ben has the personality of a stump.

14 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Don’t necessarily disagree with you.

But as I recall, his Comments were gratuitous. I think it was, “thank goodness I now have a real QB in Peyton Manning.”  This, after Ben sort of made him by feeding him the ball. The Steelers cycle through receivers like Sanders all the time— they look a lot Better when you have a great QB throwing the ball to you.

It is true that Steelers WR2's often excel only to go to another team and play meh. In truth, Ben is likely very underrated as a QB... I'd feel bad for him, but, you know...

In fairness, Sanders did have his best season by far the first year Manning was throwing to him. 

Now that Brown was cut, I'd be curious about what Sanders is looking for. If his salary cap hit would be anywhere close to 8m, I'd rather have just kept Brown, but as 30-something WRs go, I'd be happy to see him. In any case, I suspect they are planning to spend money elsewhere as Diggs, Davis, Beas, McKenzie is still one of the best WR rooms in the NFL, and they have some interesting in-house options (Hodgins, Kumerow, even Duke Williams). 

Edited by thurst44
  • Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Other players have badmouthed Roethlisberger.  And he has badmouthed others in his way.  Maybe they're right.

Most players think highly of themselves.  That's how they've gotten as far as they have.  He's been a very good

player in the league.

• Agree 1

15 minutes ago, purple haze said:

Other players have badmouthed Roethlisberger.  And he has badmouthed others in his way.  Maybe they're right.

Most players think highly of themselves.  That's how they've gotten as far as they have.  He's been a very good

player in the league.

I think they have badmouthed him for being a mercurial sort of guy, not for being a bad QB. I think he basically said Manning was a real, hard-working QB and Ben R is not. The comparison was just a gratuitous dig.

I remember even AB of all people at the time saying Sanders’s comments were bad form. 

That said, I was just looking this up, and Sanders has since apologized and said he has matured a lot and actually would love to go back to Pittsburgh to play with Ben R.  So it may just be two dumb young guys who regretted what they said and did 10 years ago. 

• Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Didn’t Sanders say that he was talking with the Bills and then we stopped calling?  Then he saw we traded for Diggs.

Yes, you're correct. Beane tried to trade for Sanders, not sign him in FA. My mistake.

I've been reading that most free agents want to take one-year deals this season due to the lower cap and then try to hit it big next year. As such, the Bills will hopefully have some ring-hungry veteran WRs to choose from. An Emmanuel Sanders, Will Fuller, or Curtis Samuel on a one-year deal would be awesome.

I think the WR room isn't a priority to Beane this yr given they have Hodgins coming back this yr and he needs to fill the other positions which they lost some good players like their punter and DB is another position so i think he may think about it but has other positions of need that are more pressing right now .

2 hours ago, T master said:

I think the WR room isn't a priority to Beane this yr given they have Hodgins coming back this yr and he needs to fill the other positions which they lost some good players like their punter and DB is another position so i think he may think about it but has other positions of need that are more pressing right now .

Not sure relying on a redshirt 6th Round Pick is a great strategy.. especially when we are counting on a 2nd year WR to potentially take over the #2 outside spot.  

I know there are only so many assets to throw around, but I think we really need to get a legit WR for our 4 wide sets, and then allow Hodgins to be WR5.

There are going to be a handful of vets out there that will come in at a lower price point, Sanders would not be my target.  Whoever comes in is going to have to be comfortable in their skin and KNOW they are a number 2.  Diggs is going to get the most looks, period.  Whoever else comes in is going to have to be ok with that.  This is why I like a Samuel or maybe Stills, honestly, I would have worked to keep Brown at a discount, but whatever.  I do find it odd that Brown said they never even called him.