Just rewatched the game and a few observations

Best line of the night

Tyreek beat the Bills like they were one of his children.....

Chiefs are much better, we have work to do for sure.  Offense relies too much on Josh we need to build better OL and get a running game. I know its sexy to throw for 300-400 yards a game but some yards on the ground can be sexy too  

We need a Thurman Thomas.  And for that to work we need a bigger Offensive Line.  Josh was running for his life the whole game.  The main reason the No Huddle worked was our Huge O-Line gave Kelly & Thomas time to work.   We also need a Bigger D-Line.  Lighter-Quicker is obviously not the answer.   I've never seen more of an inability to make adjustments.   The minute Soft Zone was obviosuly NOT working, you switch to tight Man-Man coverage.   Zone Defense Sucks - all you have to do is throw in between the Zones.  Which KC did.  Can someone Tell me WHY WHY WHY anyone EVER plays Zone Defense?  

39 minutes ago, Brennan Huff said:

1. We need a running game

2. We are severely lacking an elite pass rusher

3. We couldn’t cover a TE to save our lives all season long

Get it done Beane

I'm not sure if the order is right, but you nailed it. All three of these NEEDS to be addressed in the offseason (ugh! I hate even saying "offseason"). Hopefully McBeane can solve this! I still believe that we have the makings of a dynasty, what ever that means these days. 

The most ominous problem to me is how our amazing Offense essentially disappeared in the playoff games.   We may not be nearly as good next year folks.  Teams have figured Josh Out.  He's easily flustered.  The past 3 games He's given me lots of reasons to doubt him.  Josh may be a Carson Wentz.....

• Disagree 2
  • Dislike 2

You can point to Stone Hands Dingleberry or McFG to say that the Bills were right there or competitive.

THEY WERE NOT!

Evidence?

From Q2, the Chief Drives:

TD

TD

TD

FG

TD

TD

The Swiss Cheese D got blitizkrieged! They were horrifically unprepared and lacked the talent to deal with that little thug and his King Kong sidekick! 

The better team won easily, handily and exposed numerous Bills’ deficiencies.

And McD was badly outcoached and not ‘WTF Lafleur’ moments, but far from being wise decisions!

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Irish Dave said:

The most ominous problem to me is how our amazing Offense essentially disappeared in the playoff games.   We may not be nearly as good next year folks.  Teams have figured Josh Out.  He's easily flustered.  The past 3 games He's given me lots of reasons to doubt him.  Josh may be a Carson Wentz.....

Teams figured Josh out because we only have one way of playing - we have no variation so we can be countered. I think the fact that we got to the AFC Championship game on a one dimensional game is something to be applauded in a way, rather than be fearful about.

Put Josh with Reid, Kelce, Hill, the KC O-Line and the Chiefs would have still won yesterday, even if we had Mahomes in return.

1 minute ago, Irish Dave said:

I’m far, far from disillusioned with Josh.

But just like Paddy has the blinding speed, little thug and King Kong, plus others, Allen needs more weapons- LARGE target ones!
And not of the Stone Hands variety! 

We scored a ton of points this season so nobody is going to want to be here...but lack of balance is a mistake. In the playoffs our offense was significantly less effective. Voluntarily making yourself 1 dimensional is dumb. You don’t need a 50/50 balance but it shouldn’t be 90/10 either. On nights that Josh is off, you got to have a plan B.  

Edited by Brianmoorman4jesus

8 minutes ago, Houston's #1 Bills Fan said:

I'm not sure if the order is right, but you nailed it. All three of these NEEDS to be addressed in the offseason (ugh! I hate even saying "offseason"). Hopefully McBeane can solve this! I still believe that we have the makings of a dynasty, what ever that means these days. 

Yeah I’d probably put running game at 3 if I were to order it in level of need. We need an edge rusher bad. I love Jerry Hughes but he’ll be 33 at the start of next season. I don’t expect Trent Murphy to be back. Ed Oliver had done nothing for me. Next season will be a make or break year for him in my opinion 

I don't agree with your first three points, not that it matters.  But to me the Bills were out coached on both sides of the ball.  The gameplans were lacking and any adjustments did not work.  The Chiefs scored on every meaningful drive other than the first drive where they had a drop.  For me the game was not closer, it was probably worse than the score with the gift TD in the first quarter making it closer.  

One TD would not have changed much, if the Chiefs needed more points they would have had little trouble getting them.  The Chiefs just had a great gameplans vs the receivers and the Bills did not counter it.  Allen should have run it more since they were playing man and more passes/checkdowns to the RB's and TE's on schedule may have gotten them out of their scheme.  We needed to counter punch but had nothing.

On defense, they did a decent job against the run but apparently to do that meant they just did not cover Kelce.  On Hill's long RAC play, they could have tried to tackle him near where he caught it but instead they just kind of watched him run.  They got little or ineffective pressure on Mahomes, Epenesa ran past him like a fool on one play.

Bottom line, the were out played on both sides, a play here or there was not swinging this game.

I agree with 4 and 5.  The Bills needed to counter what the Chiefs were doing defensively, taking away the WR's.  Run and thrw to backs/TE's on schedule would have helped get them out of that.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Bermuda Triangle said:

Not quite sure why or when defensive holding or illegal contact stopped being penalties.

The lack of calls directly impacted the outcome of the GB/TB game, and IMO, did have an effect on the way our game unfolded.

I can agree with this, GB/TB they only decided to call it when the game was on the line.

KC got by with murder on our wide outs, though even if it's called fairly I'm not sure we could have beat them. Hill, Kelce, and Mahomes are monsters and probably could have put up 50 last night if it was needed.

We need a better option at TE for sure.

• Like (+1) 1

Nothing about that game was close. I saw one offense struggle just to get into FG range while the other offense moved the ball effortlessly. I saw one defense with no answers at all, while the other defense made life hard for the opposing offense.

Chiefs whooped us up and down the field........game could’ve and should’ve been much worse.

1 hour ago, Irish Dave said:

We need a Thurman Thomas.  And for that to work we need a bigger Offensive Line.  Josh was running for his life the whole game.  The main reason the No Huddle worked was our Huge O-Line gave Kelly & Thomas time to work.   We also need a Bigger D-Line.  Lighter-Quicker is obviously not the answer.   I've never seen more of an inability to make adjustments.   The minute Soft Zone was obviosuly NOT working, you switch to tight Man-Man coverage.   Zone Defense Sucks - all you have to do is throw in between the Zones.  Which KC did.  Can someone Tell me WHY WHY WHY anyone EVER plays Zone Defense?  

Can’t we stop living in the past. It gets so old constantly comparing current Bills teams to the 90’s Bills.

Only comparison that should be made is that Bills team looked exactly like all the Bills teams that made the Super Bowls, unprepared and out coached in the game that matters.

Edited by streetkings01

1 hour ago, oldmanfan said:

There's not a team in the NFL that has that answer.  The Chiefs are one of the best offenses I've seen in almost 60 years of watching football.

The only answer is to build a great DLine and pressure Mahomes quickly with 4 like the Chiefs were doing a lot of the game.

20 minutes ago, streetkings01 said:

Nothing about that game was close. I saw one offense struggle just to get into FG range while the other offense moved the ball effortlessly. I saw one defense with no answers at all, while the other defense made life hard for the opposing offense.

Chiefs whooped us up and down the field........game could’ve and should’ve been much worse.

Can’t we stop living in the past. It gets so old constantly comparing current Bills teams to the 90’s Bills.

That Bills team looked exactly like all the Bills teams that made the Super Bowls, unprepared and out coached in the game that matters.

So suggesting we stop comparing this team to the 90s Bills, and then immediately comparing them to the 90s Bills...ok. 

Biggest play of the game, imo, is the Chris Jones punch. If I'm Mitch Morse I'm not throwing my hands up complaining for a flag. I'm double fisting his face mask trying to rip his helmet off. MAKE THEM CALL IT. 

Edited by Motorin'
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

1. This game was alot closer then the score that drop by Singletary was enormous

2. One touchdown on their field goal drives inside the 10 and the mindset is way different

3.Seems like they lived by the theory we are home and you’re aren’t calling everything and they where right..they where incredibly physical with our WRs

4. They gave us the throws to the backs and Knox because quite frankly they had zero fear they could break one long

5. it’s been said elsewhere like last week no running game by a player not named Josh Allen killed this team particularly in short yardage   

overall we really aren’t that far apart but a poor game plan on both sides and a lack of a pass rush by the front 4 was the difference I literally counted on one hand the amount of quality rush on Mahomes

More speed at TE and RB and an elite pass rusher and we are right there 

I stopped reading after your first point. I completely agree on the enormity of that drop by Singletary. IMO, that completely shifted momentum and signaled the beginning of the end. Had he caught that we might have scored and continued to put pressure on the chiefs. That drop was awful. I honestly hope we never see Singletary in a bills uniform ever again. He’s just not good. We need someone that can do all this and have speed to boot. He just doesn’t have it. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

There's not a team in the NFL that has that answer.  The Chiefs are one of the best offenses I've seen in almost 60 years of watching football.

Thats why the gameplan was not that bad...we needed 2-3 stops and we only stopped them 1 time. We were letting them move the ball but hoping for them to goof.

It could have worked if we extended more drives and put points on the board.

18 minutes ago, streetkings01 said:

That was more of dig at the comparison.....went over your head I see.

Nope. But it is accurate. We were outcoached and out performed and we appeared ill prepared. As someone old enough to have watched their old SB teams, it sure did feel the same. 

• Like (+1) 1

i think there were bright spots that bode well for the future. 

Josh Allen is an elite quarterback and will continue to improve. He played well and I think if we had a running game, it would help things out a lot. 

The defensive line needs an upgrade as Patrick Mahomes was not rushed and able to work through his progressions. 

I think the Defensive backfield may need to be upgraded although Hill and Kelce are the best in the game so they made the defensive backs look bad. 

The team played hard and they were just beat by a better team on Sunday. 

The pieces are all there so with some tweaking, they can keep improving.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Billl said:

Every time Josh audibled, Anthony Hitchens seemed to know what was coming and put the defense in the perfect coverage.  Some tendencies were clearly identifiable on film.

Could you not in theory still run the play and trust your man beats their man, trust Allen can get the ball where it needs to go? Or is that a bit simplistic 

2 hours ago, Irish Dave said:

I’ll tell you what you call up about 25 teams in this league and tell them that you’ll swap out their QB with Josh straight up then get back to me the amount of No’s you get 

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Yes, This.  We got punched in the face on the lines - figuratively, and at least once, figuratively.

My wishlist includes any of:

Landon Dickerson - C 'Bama

Creed Humphrey - C Oklahoma

Ben Cleveland - G Georgia

All these boys are big and nasty

57 minutes ago, london_bills said:

Could you not in theory still run the play and trust your man beats their man, trust Allen can get the ball where it needs to go? Or is that a bit simplistic 

In theory you could run the same play every single time and trust that your guys will just somehow beat their guys.  It would work if you were playing a middle school team.  I wouldn’t recommend it when playing the defending Super Bowl champions, though.

4 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

1. This game was alot closer then the score that drop by Singletary was enormous

2. One touchdown on their field goal drives inside the 10 and the mindset is way different

3.Seems like they lived by the theory we are home and you’re aren’t calling everything and they where right..they where incredibly physical with our WRs

4. They gave us the throws to the backs and Knox because quite frankly they had zero fear they could break one long

5. it’s been said elsewhere like last week no running game by a player not named Josh Allen killed this team particularly in short yardage   

overall we really aren’t that far apart but a poor game plan on both sides and a lack of a pass rush by the front 4 was the difference I literally counted on one hand the amount of quality rush on Mahomes

More speed at TE and RB and an elite pass rusher and we are right there 

Well ... take away that muffed punt, and have Andy go full Belichick on us at the end, and it very well could have ended at 45-17 ....

4 hours ago, Process said:

I don't know how you could watch that game and think it was even remotely close. We were gifted a TD early with the fumble and then didn't score another one until the game was over in garbage time. 

The teams are world's apart and it showed last night.

To be fair to the Bills, the chiefs are worlds apart from everyone. 

Spot on with everything you said. We are a solid team, but not even close to a championship team as constructed. 

27 minutes ago, Billl said:

In theory you could run the same play every single time and trust that your guys will just somehow beat their guys.  It would work if you were playing a middle school team.  I wouldn’t recommend it when playing the defending Super Bowl champions, though.

Sure, but the point is was Allen just trying to do too much by changing things which could of led to him not playing so well. So much of our offensive production has been him trusting his own physical abilities. 

The playoffs have been a weird combination of excitement and disappointment. We got to the conference championship, but arguably were outplayed in both games. Our offense took a huge step back and I am not sure if it was injuries, play calling, quarterback play or all the above.

It was great to win a couple, but I am not thrilled with how we did it. Going into the playoffs I was elated because I was certain we had a top 3-5 QB in the NFL that would keep us in contention for a Superbowl year in and year out (barring injury). The type of QB that could elevate a team and make it near impossible to beat. I did not see that from Josh (and I say that while also admitting he is already perhaps my favorite Bill in my 35 years of fandom.)

Hopefully next year picks up where we left off in the regular season and Josh can continue MVP play into the postseason.

You thought it was closer than the score? I thought the score flattered us a bit. It felt like an annihilation.

Even at 9-0 up I had no doubts that KC would roll over us. KC moved with ease, up and down the field. Our offense looked Elvis-level constipated and every yard earned was HARD work.

It's not just the discrepancy in talent or the home field advantage, the Chiefs looked so much more confident, which partly comes from being champs and partly comes from their belief that they're so much better than us. When we went up 9-0 there was a shot of Mahomes walking up the bench telling his guys it was no problem, basically "we got this". They knew they'd come rolling back and they did. 

The Bills need to know how badly they got their asses handed to them if they ever hope to improve and I think they do know. I doubt they'll be blaming bad luck or whatever. They need to regroup, change some stuff up and come back for revenge next season.

I haven't watched much from the talking heads today but I saw a bit of GMFB and the guys were almost laughing at how bad the Chiefs made us look. They seemed embarrassed to be laughing at the Bills because they've all enjoyed our team this season, but I'm sure the team will feel completely embarrassed by how they got handled and if they have the right stuff they'll use it as motivation to come back stronger