Just rewatched the game and a few observations

Just now, Brennan Huff said:

1. We need a running game

2. We are severely lacking an elite pass rusher

3. We couldn’t cover a TE to save our lives all season long

Get it done Beane

Agreed. 
#1 should be a cheap/easy fix if McBeane acknowledges the problem.  
#2 will probably cost our 1st rounder for a vet difference maker but is sorely needed. 
#3 2nd rounder on a big nickel.  

We need an upgrade in speed and violence on the roster to compete against KC. 

17 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

1. This game was alot closer then the score that drop by Singletary was enormous

2. One touchdown on their field goal drives inside the 10 and the mindset is way different

3.Seems like they lived by the theory we are home and you’re aren’t calling everything and they where right..they where incredibly physical with our WRs

4. They gave us the throws to the backs and Knox because quite frankly they had zero fear they could break one long

5. it’s been said elsewhere like last week no running game by a player not named Josh Allen killed this team particularly in short yardage   

overall we really aren’t that far apart but a poor game plan on both sides and a lack of a pass rush by the front 4 was the difference I literally counted on one hand the amount of quality rush on Mahomes

More speed at TE and RB and an elite pass rusher and we are right there 

I agree with everything except point #1.  The biggest difference is that KC laid the wood offensively for most of the game.

6 minutes ago, Brennan Huff said:

1. We need a running game

2. We are severely lacking an elite pass rusher

3. We couldn’t cover a TE to save our lives all season long

Get it done Beane

I could swear that Romo called this out last night (not going to rewatch the game), ie the Bills giving Kelce a lot of leeway.

Biggest observation from this game (and the entire year)...

We are very good.  Built for a sustainable run for the next decade potentially.  We have an elite talent at QB and a strong GM/HC duo.  We have a high level young LT locked up and an elite #1 WR.   The pillars you need to build a top end offense are there.   I think we can all see the tinkering that needs to be done on that side of the ball.  

The defense needs to be overhauled.  

Back to my observation....

We are very good.  A potential year in/year out contender.   We played two games against KC this year.  We were out-coached and out-talented in both games.  

We’re very good.  We need a really strong offseason to compete with KC.  

That’s it.  That’s the observation.  KC is just so much better than us right now.  Their coaches know it and coach like it.  Sadly, our coaches knew it, and coached like it too. 

• Thank you (+1) 2

20 minutes ago, london_bills said:

I've never seen so much pre snap changes, talk from Allen. Almost every play he was talking before it changing something. 

I thought the same......Bills need to address Pash Rush and Run game for 2021.  Was an awesome ride, they played above thier heads for some games and were very very good other games.

Thanks for the Fun this season.....

8 minutes ago, colin said:

read a stat on twitter from some KC analyst who cover 1 retweeted.  they said that mahomes threw an average of less than 5 air yards and out of 33 or so attempts only 3 of them had a defender within 1 yard.

also, cover 1 pointed out that if all of our red zone drives were automatic TDs, we still don't have enough points to win the game.  the O was beat up and beaten up all game, and made mistakes, and had no balance, but at the end of the day the D was just rolled and we can't beat a top team w that trash out there.

our entire D personal and scheme need to be retweaked to work better.  mcD had a disgusting D in carolina for long enough that i think he can get the ship righted here, and he's reworked things quickly too, so here's to hoping he will that accomplished next season.

That is nuts. 

• Agree 2

We couldn't figure out TEs all year and just happened to go up against one of the best ever in the Championship game..  Scheme/Talent mismatch.  I'm not sure what Edmunds does well..  

Why didn't we play Milano on Kelce within 5 yards and hit him every time and have Poyer play the same side at 10 yards on a bracket/double team?

its incredible we got as far as we did

there are about 10 players on this team worth building on......you wouldnt miss the rest

(josh, diggs, beasley, tre, edmunds, hyde, poyer) fill in with a couple borderline

this team has so many needs

pass rush/sacks, defending the TE, we need a TE, a #2 CB, RB, better Oline play

We were down by 9 several times because we settled for 3 point twice when deep in the red zone and also missed a PAT.  That is 9.  We were still in the game deep into the 3Q but KC’s defense made everything hard by double coverage on Diggs and still able to blitz Allen.  They kept him off balance, force bad throws, and got 4 sacks for -55.  Beasley and Knox were good but the contributions by Singletary (drop to kill drive) and Brown (drop for interception) were negative.  Davis is hurt and should not have played over McKenzie or maybe even Stills. 

The bigger problem was the defense giving up big plays all day with no pressure on Mahommes, and no answer for Kelce.  It’s baffling that they did not take away either Hill or Kelce.  KC punted once and that was in 1Q.  

The defense had its worst game of the season.  It’s hard to even tell what their plan was it was that bad.  Not a good day for a conservative offensive approach either.  

The Bills took a giant step this year but are clearly #2 in the AFC with Baltimore, Cleveland, Tennessee, Indy and Miami all on their heels. 

Beane needs to find a running back to help Allen, more speed in the lineup, and a playmaker in the defensive front 7.  

Edited by Bob in STL
  • Agree 1

28 minutes ago, TonyBeets said:

Singletary is just not very good I agree unfortunately.  Yeldon did look so much better both running and passing.  Moss is obviously not the answer.  We should have no problem addressing the RB position in free agency.

Offensive and defensive lines are another story.

I'm kind of at a loss as to why Antonio Williams never got any play time except for the last game of the year where he looked the part at least. He didn't look out matched or scared of the situation, IDK why McD shelved him for the playoffs, thought he earned some more snaps. 

40 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

1. This game was alot closer then the score that drop by Singletary was enormous

2. One touchdown on their field goal drives inside the 10 and the mindset is way different

3.Seems like they lived by the theory we are home and you’re aren’t calling everything and they where right..they where incredibly physical with our WRs

4. They gave us the throws to the backs and Knox because quite frankly they had zero fear they could break one long

5. it’s been said elsewhere like last week no running game by a player not named Josh Allen killed this team particularly in short yardage   

overall we really aren’t that far apart but a poor game plan on both sides and a lack of a pass rush by the front 4 was the difference I literally counted on one hand the amount of quality rush on Mahomes

I mentioned after the game the team needed to address 3 needs,  if i had to choose only two it would be RB and pass rushing DE 

2 minutes ago, Big Gun said:

I'm kind of at a loss as to why Antonio Williams never got any play time except for the last game of the year where he looked the part at least. He didn't look out matched or scared of the situation, IDK why McD shelved him for the playoffs, thought he earned some more snaps. 

I think as a pure RB he's probably better than Singletary and Yeldon, I just think the pass blocking is what gets most RBS shelved.

aside from DE who can make an impact, i really am jumping on the move edmunds to OLB train.  he has a ton of ability, but its just so clear he can be controlled by scheme and qb play by the other team into making mistakes, so he end up being ineffective way way way too often.  i'd rather they try to work his talents into a different position where he can dictate, bumping and shadowing TEs, shallow zone stuff, and rushing up field.  

i suspect the decline of the tampa 2 style d has to do with the inability to get 4 DL who can create pressure by themselves, and the fact that MLB in that D is just a nearly impossible task.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Niagara Dude said:

I mentioned after the game the team needed to address 3 needs,  if i had to choose only two it would be RB and pass rushing DE 

This, and I firmly believe coaching is a huge issue on this team. Frazier can go anytime, Daboll is good and bad who needs to be consistently better and McD is scared to shoot it out with somebody, he is too conservative, which I thought he got better at after Arizona but went right back to in the playoffs. To be honest, the Colts outplayed us, if Lamar doesnt throw that pic it's most likely 10-10 and who knows who wins and we got destroyed yesterday, so McD needs to be a whole lot better!  

45 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

The Bills were as close to beating KC last night as I was to banging Cheryl Tiegs in 1978.   

This reminds me, sooner or later I have to take the poster down.  

5684B18B-EAA7-4779-B2B2-C7BD8A78EE4A.webp

• Haha (+1) 2