Jets, Chargers request to interview Brian Daboll for HC

YoloinOhio

1 minute ago, BillsfaninSB said:

Going to the Chargers is like going to an AFC East team in 2004.  Do you want to be in the same division with Mahommes?  They will win that division another 7 or 8 years at least. QBs these days seem to play in their late 30s.  Pat will be around forever. 

maybe his interview answer will be ‘after beating him in the conference game, not so concerned about it.’

• Like (+1) 2

26 minutes ago, BillsfaninSB said:

Going to the Chargers is like going to an AFC East team in 2004.  Do you want to be in the same division with Mahommes?  They will win that division another 7 or 8 years at least. QBs these days seem to play in their late 30s.  Pat will be around forever. 

For one thing, there are three wild card slots right now. For another, they have a good QB already.

yeah well Daboll may be interested in a head coaching job but if he does think about the Chargers I hope he considers the ownership there which is some of the absolute worst in the NFL. And a fanbase which is practically non existent after they screwed over the san diego fanbase. And Los Angelenos consider them a joke. I wouldnt want to play there or have anything to do with them. Great tradition and history but the way things stand now. HARD PASS

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Have no idea of any of these QBs will even be good

We know Wilson is an a-hole whose teammates hate him. He'll fall in the pre-draft process. 

He'll go to LA imo. It's easily the best situation with, by far, the most talented roster of the jobs available. 

Edited by SACTOBILLSFAN

He’ll end up going to the Chargers. Herbert is very similar to Josh, except he’s way ahead in his development.  

That would be a hard gig to pass up just to stay local. 

I think our best bet is we win the Super Bowl, he leaves and is underwhelming as a HC while making a fortune In Sunny LA for a few years, and then we welcome him back like McDaniels with his Denver experiment. 

15 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

Alot of Jets fans NOT happy about this.  They do not want Daboll or a Coordinator.  They want a HC from college.  

Ah, this reminds me of a time when every week there would be a new “Hire Mike Leech” thread. 

15 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

update .... another one 

Said It a few weeks ago, I think he ends up with the Chargers    Perfect QB situation , gets  to work with a very talented guy with similar attributes to Allen    Already has a very good D line in place   This team already close to winning compared to Jets.  Probably has some relationship with Lynn who may even help Dabol know personnel , political nature of the job, family situation ( schools etc) concerning community, and can provide insight helpful during interview process    Great new stadium    Division away from Sean / Beane, Belicheck, with only big negative being directly competing with KC / Mahomes for years   Dabol also familiar with this conference so AFC team makes sense   I just think taking over a potential offensively potent team would be more comfortable and certainly Chargers are closer to being competitive

Great job, perhaps  best out there that has HC turnover .  If we happen to beat KC in the playoffs ( assuming LA doesn’t hire before we play), I think it would seal it for Dabol as he would know the blueprint to Do well against KC /Mahomes and would just need time to implement it in LA   Negatives with Jets include division, ownership, city with crazy press, Darnold less talented QB, D less talented, complete rebuild needed, more directly competing against Allen/ McD/Beane every year,   Other potential landing spot could be Houston, which is similar to Chargers but may be slightly less attractive since they have cap issues and lack similar draft capital   After this incredible year it is sad to see a major cog of our system/ success leave since the potential to repeat the Patriots dynasty seems real, but I don’t see Dabols stock ever being higher.  This is his best shot to hand pick his future without having to start as a complete bottom dweller, and who could pass on those amazing uniforms, second only to our own ! 

16 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

1) He interviewed for the Browns job last year

2) someone here said they heard he already had feelers out for putting together a staff

3) McDermott was asked about what it was like to balance working towards that next step (HC) while still trying to do a good job as coordinator, and part of his response was that "Brian has done a good job" (of balancing the two).  This strongly implies Daboll is working to prepare himself for HC opportunities

I would say the preponderance of the evidence is he wants it.

well, darn..

Thanks

3 hours ago, Mr Wild said:

This is the best thing about the Chargers job.  Daboll needs to beat a lot of other guys for the job.  I think we need to be more worried about the jets job really.

I think the Jets job is one Daboll should decline.  He had enough bad OC gigs (2009-10 Cleveland, 2012 Chiefs) to know that there are some opportunities that not only set you up to fail, they "poison the well" of future opportunities.  Maybe I'm naive or not seeing something I should, but that's what NYJ looks like to me. 

I think Daboll is smart enough and seasoned enough to see that.

The Chargers, OTOH, looks like a very good opportunity in terms of perhaps a personal connection with the GM, the guy who looks like the best QB of the 2020 class, and some other good talent around him.

I think the Jets should petition the league to leave the East, and jump ship to the NFC East, where at least they would've stayed in contention for a division title until what, week 8 or 9 even this year? Facing a monster in Buffalo, wily coyote Hoodie in NE, and a Miami team that's on the rise even after Sunday, the next few years aren't looking so good...

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Mr Wild said:

This is the best thing about the Chargers job.  Daboll needs to beat a lot of other guys for the job.  I think we need to be more worried about the jets job really.

Yeah Dean Spanos needs to be more involved........like when he hired Mike McCoy prior to Anthony Lynn.

• Like (+1) 1

On 1/4/2021 at 2:20 PM, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

My short term memory is crappola, so can't remember if it was Sal on his WGR show this morning or the 1st hour of OBL, but the point was made that we shouldn't be so focused on losing Dabs being the end all be all for Allen--the Bills will be such an attractive landing spot for OC's with Josh at the helm, that McD will have his hands full fielding all the calls from ueber-qualified candidates wanting it that we will prolly wind up with a top 5 in the league-type candidate regardless! 

Here's the plan, McBeane: Make it seem like we lost Daboll, then steal Bieniemy out from under Reid's walrus-stache :ph34r:

• Haha (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I think the Jets job is one Daboll should decline.  He had enough bad OC gigs (2009-10 Cleveland, 2012 Chiefs) to know that there are some opportunities that not only set you up to fail, they "poison the well" of future opportunities.  Maybe I'm naive or not seeing something I should, but that's what NYJ looks like to me. 

I think Daboll is smart enough and seasoned enough to see that.

The Chargers, OTOH, looks like a very good opportunity in terms of perhaps a personal connection with the GM, the guy who looks like the best QB of the 2020 class, and some other good talent around him.

Agreed.

Chargers, absolutely.

Houston, Jacksonville, probably yes.

Jets, Atlanta, Detroit, no effin way. Better to stick around and wait to get the top job next year if you're stuck with just those three.

52 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Agreed.

Chargers, absolutely.

Houston, Jacksonville, probably yes.

Jets, Atlanta, Detroit, no effin way. Better to stick around and wait to get the top job next year if you're stuck with just those three.

Houston is intriguing 

Jax, the owner announced he will retain roster control “at least through 2021” that would be “nope” for me

On 1/4/2021 at 9:28 AM, Logic said:

I'd place a large wager that Daboll will be coaching the Chargers next year.

Went to high school with their GM, Tom Telesco, and would be walking into a ready-to-go roster. 

Daboll+Herbert+Williams, Allen, Henry, & Ekeler = immediate success.

^This

They were 2 years apart at St Frannies and share the same agent. 

This is Dabolls most likely landing spot, he's not going to the Jets. If the Jets are his only HC option he'll stay in Buffalo another year imo.

16 hours ago, BillsfaninSB said:

Herbert is going to be a star, with a good defense they could be challenging the Chiefs for the division in a couple years imo.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Turk71 said:

^This

They were 2 years apart at St Frannies and share the same agent. 

This is Dabolls most likely landing spot, he's not going to the Jets. If the Jets are his only HC option he'll stay in Buffalo another year imo.

Herbert is going to be a star, with a good defense they could be challenging the Chiefs for the division in a couple years imo.

The agent thing is common. The st Francis thing is close to meaningless despite how much people bring it up. It was 35 years ago and they weren’t  “friends” The bigger connection is McDaniels. They didn’t play together at JCU but  there is a connection amongst JCU grads stronger than the HS thing. Chargers were interested in him last time around. If Daboll gets the job it will be exclusively on merit. And it is spanos decision this time anyway. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

Just now, YoloinOhio said:

The agent thing is common. The st Francis thing is close to meaningless despite how much people bring it up. It was 35 years ago and they weren’t even friends. The bigger connection is McDaniels. 

Sure, all that is secondary to the fact that the Chargers are a great situation for a new coach to walk into, but when you add it all together.....

18 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I truly think Houston is the best job

I think the situations are kind of similar, though Watson is obviously more established as a star qb.

However, I would much rather live in SD than in Houston.

2 minutes ago, Turk71 said:

I think the situations are kind of similar, though Watson is obviously more established as a star qb.

However, I would much rather live in SD than in Houston.

He can live in Orange County but not SD. Not sure that would be factor. Caserio is the favorite for the GM job, who he worked with in NE. But the overwhelming factor is deshaun Watson. 

Just now, YoloinOhio said:

He can live in Orange County but not SD. Not sure that would be factor. Caserio is the favorite for the GM job, who he worked with in NE. But the overwhelming factor is deshaun Watson. 

Sorry, I forgot for a moment they're not in SD anymore.😝

43 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I truly think Houston is the best job

I think it's close.

Everything Herbert did this year, Watson has done for 4 years. He's proven. They traded away his superstar #1 option and he played even BETTER. The division is waaaaaaaay weaker. Their defense just needs to be mediocre and they will win 9-10 games next year and probably the division.

Folks are sleeping on the Texans because they don't have a first round pick. Who cares?

10 minutes ago, FireChans said:

I think it's close.

Everything Herbert did this year, Watson has done for 4 years. He's proven. They traded away his superstar #1 option and he played even BETTER. The division is waaaaaaaay weaker. Their defense just needs to be mediocre and they will win 9-10 games next year and probably the division.

Folks are sleeping on the Texans because they don't have a first round pick. Who cares?

Plus it’s a 5 year deal at least, not one year. And in this case you come in at the same time as the GM so I think there is more of an opportunity to be truly aligned (like McDermott/beane). I like what I’ve seen from Herbert but I can’t put him in Watson’s category yet. And as far as Jacksonville... the opportunity to take Lawrence is exciting but no one knows what he will do in the nfl. I do know the last 2 college playoff games Ive seen him play, he was the 2nd best QB on the field. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

On 1/4/2021 at 11:35 PM, DCOrange said:

Are the Jaguars viewed as an impatient franchise? They've generally given all of their coaches a very long time to prove themselves with the exception of Mularkey going 2-14 in his one season as a coach. Coughlin got 8 years (granted he was legitimately good). Del Rio got 9 years despite only 2 playoff appearances. Bradley got 3 years despite winning a total of 14 games. And Marrone got 4 years.

I think the Jags are a sneaky good destination; the major drawback is the fairweather fans/London relationship if you view that as a bad thing. But you get to walk into Trevor Lawrence, a boatload of other future picks, and the ability to pretty much build a team from scratch to your liking.

Chargers definitely seem like the most likely for Daboll though.

Khan came out and said that he wants control over roster moves. No way to know how serious that statement was, but it means that he may dive into meddling.