Brian Daboll - Assistants

OnTheRocks

3 minutes ago, OnTheRocks said:

If Daboll takes a head coaching job, who is he most likely to take with him currently on the Bill Staff?

Does Dorsey get the first look at the OC position? Or does he move with Daboll?

Chad Hall is a rising star

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, OnTheRocks said:

If Daboll takes a head coaching job, who is he most likely to take with him currently on the Bill Staff?

I’ve heard WRs coach, Chad Hall’s name mentioned along with Dorsey for internal candidates for OC if Daboll leaves.  Seems like the players really love Hall, but I expect Dorsey would be first in line.

3 minutes ago, OnTheRocks said:

It’s not a given he’ll take anyone. He’s been in the business a long time his connections reach out much farther than Buffalo. He can reward some of his current buffalo guys as they have a chance to move up replacing him, while also possibly reaching out to other connections and helping them get jobs. 

• Like (+1) 1

I think Dorsey is probably the favorite. Hall has only been a position coach for a season or two.

As far as guys Daboll would take: the only guy that has a real tie to him is Ryan Wendell. I'd imagine Daboll would be the playcaller, so he's probably going to be looking for teacher types and guys he has history with to start and maybe a previous HC. Lots of former Pats coaches will be out there with the firings in Houston and Detroit so I think those would be obvious targets for him.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Magox said:

Ken Dorsey or Chad Hall.

I wouldn't be surprised if either of the two get promoted to OC.  I would be surprised if the Bills went outside of the organization to fill the role.

Well.. Chad Hall doesn’t have a whole lot of experience.. He’s a great WR coach but I don’t see him as being anywhere near ready for that much responsibility.. Dorsey may be the next in line.. With that said, Buffalo boasts a top 5 QB in this league.. Very, very talented offensive minds would love to work with Allen.. What a cush job.. We should be able to hire just about anyone to fill that OC spot..

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, GunnerBill said:

Not a Bills concern but I was told a month ago he was trying to line up Matt Patricia as his defensive coordinator. Chad O'Shea was the other name I heard. Not sure if that was for OC or a position coach. 

Makes alot of sense. He interviewed last year so he has a list of coaches.

7 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Not a Bills concern but I was told a month ago he was trying to line up Matt Patricia as his defensive coordinator. Chad O'Shea was the other name I heard. Not sure if that was for OC or a position coach. 

Patricia makes a lot of sense, as they know each other well from pats days.  Depends  if Patricia wants to work again so soon...as he is likely collecting a couple of more years of pay from the Lions for not working.  He would be working for nothing......but most of these coaches would rather be at work.

Most of the staff in buffalo I believe would stay - maybe all get a little bit of a raise but there is no reason to move with daboll

Although if daboll is smart he isn't calling plays as a head coach

4 minutes ago, bigK14094 said:

Patricia makes a lot of sense, as they know each other well from pats days.  Depends  if Patricia wants to work again so soon...as he is likely collecting a couple of more years of pay from the Lions for not working.  He would be working for nothing......but most of these coaches would rather be at work.

Thats a good point

I guess it depends if Patricia wants to be a head coach again or is content with being a coordinator

Head coach he should get right back in, coordinator take a year off enjoy life and your money

34 minutes ago, OnTheRocks said:

Bear in mind that most of the assistants are still under contract to the Bills.  It would not be Daboll's option, but the Bills option if they stay or go.

13 minutes ago, Cheektowaga Chad said:

I guess it depends if Patricia wants to be a head coach again or is content with being a coordinator

Head coach he should get right back in, coordinator take a year off enjoy life and your money

A number of HC who failed in their first stint have said the most valuable thing for them, in hindsight, was to take a year off and self-assess/regroup

26 minutes ago, BrooklynBills said:

I think Dorsey is probably the favorite. Hall has only been a position coach for a season or two.

As far as guys Daboll would take: the only guy that has a real tie to him is Ryan Wendell. I'd imagine Daboll would be the playcaller, so he's probably going to be looking for teacher types and guys he has history with to start and maybe a previous HC. Lots of former Pats coaches will be out there with the firings in Houston and Detroit so I think those would be obvious targets for him.

Yeah Ken Dorsey seems the odds on favorite, Chad Hall definitely seems like a rising guy though most of his talk I think is coming from the fact that his WRs bought him a ***** truck.

36 minutes ago, BrooklynBills said:

I always like to look at it as who they've worked with in the past.  Jim Bob Cooter comes to mind as a former OC.  Chad O'Shea worked with him in NE for years.  Dan Campbell is another.  All 3 would be looking to improve their positioning at HC jobs in the future.  Taking dorsey would be a challenge - assuming Dorsey has been promised the job here it goes from Allen/Diggs and playcalling to - ??? and not calling plays... Which sets you up better to be a future HC?

I could see Crennel as DC assuming Daboll doesn't end up in Houston.  Other options might be babich or washington from Buffalo.  Matt Patricia could also get a look there.  

57 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

These are the exact two guys I would imagine he'd go after.  He and Patricia have a ton of history together, and O'Shea has a lot of knowledge of the Erhardt Perkins offense.   Seems like I havent seen Daboll tied to a lot of jobs yet though.

I'm not sure anyone would want to go with him necessarily.  Nothing against Daboll, but if you could be the OC of the Bills, or the OC of another team, you'd rather stay here I'd imagine. That said, the person who does not get the OC job here may go with him (Dorsey or Hall).  

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Not for anything here but one thing that may play a factor for Daball is that he is from this area, he loves the area and had been waiting for an opportunity that allowed him to come back to the area. While i may be reaching here, he may not want to leave. Just a thought. Plus Sean McD. could promote him to Assistant Head Coach like they did when they hired Fraiser. He is the Defensive Coordinator but doesn't he have the title of D Coordinator\Assistant Head Coach?

This one is really interesting. If they go with one of the hot OCs it’ll feel like one of the more recent fads of pairing a good OC as Head Coach with a young QB. I just don’t think this works as much as people want to think it does. A head coach just doesn’t have time to mentor one player unless he picks good assistant coaches. But then it seems like when things start to falter a bit the HC takes over. 

I guess we will see.

20 minutes ago, Doc said:

The Bills can block any assistant moves.

They can but they probably won’t. McD isn’t the type. Plus it’s a selling point to other good coaches that you can come to Buffalo and get an opportunity to be a HC at some point.

32 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

They can but they probably won’t. McD isn’t the type. Plus it’s a selling point to other good coaches that you can come to Buffalo and get an opportunity to be a HC at some point.

Hall joined the Bills as an offensive assistant in 2017 and was promoted last year.  Since McD hired him and Diggs has said he's the best WR coach he's ever had, I think he'll keep him.  Dorsey they may let leave.

48 minutes ago, BaaadThingsMan said:

Whats everyones confidence level with anyone besides Daboll? I've heard good things about Dorsey and Hall but neither has called plays before.

IF and that is a IF Daboll decides THIS is the year I move on and take that HC job the Bills OC position he leaves open will

be about the #1 desired spot for any current OC looking for a job or any "up and coming" OC in the league.

2 hours ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

He can make more than that and be a head coach elsewhere 

when pay him $2M more than the head coach offer.

and have the PR assemble some video montage with his family being from Buffalo.

40 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

If Daboll leaves, and they dont hire Dorsey one guy to watch would be Darrell Bevell.   Going to be available, and has a pretty decent track record as an OC.    To top it off he had a 4 year stretch with Frazier in Minnesota.

Isn’t Bevell the guy who choose to not give the ball to Marshawn Lynch from the 1 yard line, against the Pats in the Super Bowl???

3 hours ago, bigK14094 said:

That is not usually how it works.  They want to keep working and stay visible.  I suspect most have an offset clause so they are not fully double dipping.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, iccrewman112 said:

when pay him $2M more than the head coach offer.

and have the PR assemble some video montage with his family being from Buffalo.

Isn’t Bevell the guy who choose to not give the ball to Marshawn Lynch from the 1 yard line, against the Pats in the Super Bowl???

Pass first Coordinator.  Perfect!  Yes, but to be fair he has done a lot more than that in his career.

Need to bring in someone from the outside.  This team doesn't have the experience necessary currently on staff.

Ken Dorsey - Absolutely not.  The guy has zero experience calling plays or drawing up plays.  It takes a lot more than just calling plays that Daboll put in.  You have to constantly adapt.

Chad Hall - This can't be serious.  The guy is 2 years removed from being pretty much an intern.  Talk about a disaster waiting to happen promoting a guy that has so little experience.

You have the most attractive position in football right now, you need to bring in some creative with designs.

Couple names:

Jeff Lebby

Shane Waldron

Shane Steichen

My perference would be Lebby.  A ton of experience with extremely successful offense and really creative calls.