Stephen Belichicks career prospects

JetsFan20

[This is an automated response]

As a courtesy to the other board members, please use more descriptive topic titles. A single name if far too vague to post as a title and provides little insight into what specifically the post is talking about.The topic starter can edit the topic title line to make it more appropriate.

Thank you.

1 hour ago, Rigotz said:

Nope. He has been a safeties coach for a few years and outside linebackers coach for one year.

Unless his daddy pulls some strings, he isn't even close to being ready. 

1 hour ago, 947 said:

I think he'll be lucky to be able to continue working on an NFL staff once his dad retires. He's currently known more for his mullet (& being BB's son) than anything he's done as a coach.

Does make you wonder how him and his brother are perceived around the league.  If others who coached with BB couldn't succeed on their own, can't see these two meatheads working out.  I do wonder if BB will pressure Kraft into giving them some type of promotion they don't deserve or are qualified for.  Kraft out of long term respect for BB may go along with it too.

1 hour ago, 947 said:

I think he'll be lucky to be able to continue working on an NFL staff once his dad retires. He's currently known more for his mullet (& being BB's son) than anything he's done as a coach.

Really they make DC under Belichick HCs on other teams but his son who has basically been holding a clip board behind him his whole life will be ostracized without him? I doubt he becomes a HC but I bet he gets given a shot elsewhere at least at the level he's currently at if not at DC.

8 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

[This is an automated response]

As a courtesy to the other board members, please use more descriptive topic titles. A single name if far too vague to post as a title and provides little insight into what specifically the post is talking about.The topic starter can edit the topic title line to make it more appropriate.

Thank you.

Now when I came into this topic, I was going to chastise the Mods that I already knew that this thread was going to be about a mullet.... but I'm apparently  wrong.  So you're right!

Edited by cage

Jets20, unlike several trolls that are Jets fans who get in this board, you’ve been polite.  I kind of don’t understand why people go on a division rival’s board, but I don’t care if they are respectful the rules the mods have set up.  As far as this one, why start a thread when you just do a google search in about three seconds Wikipedia has his bio.  If you’re question is really, “Will Stephen Belichick becomes the next Pats Head Coach or will it be Josh McDaniels”?  That would be an accurate title.  With that said, the young Belichick was the safeties coach and now outside linebackers.  That’s not much of a resume, considering McDaniels was a head coach although not very good, and the offensive coordinator for years.  He’s probably tighter with Kraft, and was rumored to be the one groomed as Belichick’s replacement.  Unless you know something we don’t, there are very little if any retirement rumors for B Belichick.  He’s only 68 (around Carrol’s age), and probably wants the ability to redeem himself after this year ends.  They’ll most likely have their opt outs back, have another draft, and will probably be competitive again.  As it stands now, they are going to be like every other NFL team where Brady can’t clean up any messes.  Look at TN.  They just lost to Cincy.

Im not banging on you.  Just like Chandler said, just be more specific and it’s cool. For a second time, welcome here and I can imagine being a Jets fan this year is not easy.  Look at the bright side.  You’ll have Lawrence next year, you’re GM will pick his own coach, probably a guy like Bieniemy, and Douglas looks like a sharp guy and inherited a hot mess.  It doesn’t help having a tool for a coach who is actively trying to tick off his players and a DC who is an autocrat and a jerk.  You’ll take you’re lumps for a couple of years and maybe be competitive in time.

I think it will depend more on how others who work with him view him.   If Kraft thinks highly of him you never know.   Let’s say bb retirees and the staff scatters.   If one or more are impressed by him the. Why would recommend him to others around the league.  It’s likely he will get another shot down the road without his dad IMO.   David Shula got some shots as an example.  

24 minutes ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

you didn't imagine.  I believe I heard then say

He was the Outside Linebackers coach was calling Defensive plays. 

Thanks. I wonder how the DC feels about that.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, WhoTom said:

Did I imagine this or did one of the announcers say that Stephen was calling the defensive plays?

They don't have a defensive coordinator. Stephen Belichick is the defacto defensive coordinator. 

After Patricia left, I'm pretty sure he didn't name a new DC. Flores was safeties coach, then LB coach and then remained LB coach and started calling defensive plays without the DC title. I believe Stephen was involved as well at the time. Now he's following that same path... LB coach while also calling plays on defense with no actual DC.

EDIT: Belichick has been calling plays since last season... so after Flores left.

Edited by JGMcD2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

My surprise prediction is that daddy hangs in up after this season and hands the reigns over to mcdaniels as HC and he makes junior DC. Then junior can leverage that into a HC down the road. 

Depends on if Patricia is looking for work after this year. 

15 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

My surprise prediction is that daddy hangs in up after this season and hands the reigns over to mcdaniels as HC and he makes junior DC. Then junior can leverage that into a HC down the road. 

He'd probably have to DC another team to get consideration, similar to how Mike Pettite had to leave the Jets under Rex to get consideration. There's a lot of nepotism in the league, so it's not the craziest idea. Teams may be tantalized by the idea of a HC that can ask advice from Bill (especially after he retires). I'm sure he's more liberal sharing knowledge with his son than he was with Patricia, O'Brien & McDaniels.

Steve has been calling their plays for over a year

Yes he's rising through the ranks

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

I believe Stephen Belichick and Jared Mayo both have a hand in the defensive playcalling…. and obviously Bill Belichick has a very big hand in it as well.

Steve has actually been calling the plays for over a year

I'm sure there's a lot of communication as with all coaches

But he's got the play sheet and he's calling it in