Haskins benched in Washington

YoloinOhio

22 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Reminds me of EJM

How? EJ Manuel held back a Florida State squad, that when he left won a national title

Jimbo Fisher said that his freshman quarterback, who waa redshirting was more talented than EJ Manuel

Urban Meyer called Dwayne Haskins the best 18-year-old quarterback he's ever seen. Urban Meyer told Joe burrow he would never start at Ohio State because Dwayne Haskins

I think there's a talent gap between Dwayne Haskins and EJ Manuel. Even if Haskins hasn't put it together yet

Edited by Buffalo716

7 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

WFT officially in the Trevor Lawrence sweepstakes 

Threw for 314 vs Ravens with a trash offense. He’s played 10 games. Better go to Kyle Allen. 

The 300-yard barrier isn't as hard to break as Bills fans think it is.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

How? EJ Manuel held back a Florida State squad, that when he left won a national title

Jimbo Fisher said that his freshman quarterback, who waa redshirting was more talented than EJ Manuel

Urban Meyer called Dwayne Haskins the best 18-year-old quarterback he's ever seen. Urban Meyer told Joe burrow he would never start at Ohio State because Dwayne Haskins

I think there's a talent gap between Dwayne Haskins and EJ Manuel. Even if Haskins hasn't put it together yet

yeah my impression is superficial.  

Something about his delivery and how he stands in the pocket, and occasional happy feet. A little mobile but not super mobile. 

I’m not saying he will bust. I saw him play live and saw some good things... though I saw Ej play live and saw good things too

was Jimbo talking about JamINTS? 

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood

Just now, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

yeah my impression is superficial.  

Something about his delivery and how he stands in the pocket, and occasional happy feet. A little mobile but not super mobile. 

I’m not saying he will bust. I saw him play live and saw some good things... though I saw Ej play live and saw good things too

EJ Manuel had some good moments. Unfortunately for most quarterbacks the game just turned out too big for him and too fast

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Albany,n.y. said:

Pretty bad examples:

Favre-A 2nd round pick who a year later the team was offered a #1 pick for and took it.

Warner-A raw rookie undrafted free agent who got caught up in a numbers game behind a future HOFer, A former Heisman winner & a future Pro Bowler & long term NFL starter.

Smith-Spent EIGHT seasons with the 49ers before being traded.  EIGHT SEASONS!

Brees-Spent 5 seasons with the Chargers.  His career started off mediocre & after his 3rd season the team drafted Manning & traded him for Rivers the day of the draft. However the Chargers didn't let him go & he held off Rivers & had a good to great season in his 4th year. He then was franchised & was the starter in his 5th year.  In his last game as a Charger he suffered a severe injury and  since he was a free agent the Chargers decide that rather than risk big $ on a medical risk, they would go with Rivers.  

I forgot Warner was in GB.... The sheer number of starting QBs that came out of that franchise in the 90’s is amazing.... and.... it’s probably linked to quality of offensive coaching: Holmgren, Mariucci, Gruden, Reid, Mornhinweg, etc. Throw in the defensive coaches (Rhodes, Jauron, etc) and there were an asinine amount of future head coaches during those years. 

38 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

EJ Manuel had some good moments. Unfortunately for most quarterbacks the game just turned out too big for him and too fast

This is one of those for discussion posts. 😉

EJ and Allen had very similar passing rookie years (in fact EJ had a better completion %, td to int, qb rating). EJ got benched 4 games into his 2nd year for a coward who actively tries not to get hurt.  His numbers were better after his first 4 games into his second year than Allen’s were.  https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/ManuEJ00/gamelog/2014/
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/A/AlleJo02/gamelog/2019/

it definitely doesn’t mean EJ would have ever developed like Allen has.  But Marrone and Hackett (who was never a nfl OC and was both EJ’s OC and qb coach) made sure it won’t happen.  His development sucked.  And bad teams have a history of doing this.  It’s what Washington and Cleveland and the Jets do.  The Bills made a ton of questionable decisions for Allen’s rookie year but they stayed with the guys through ups and downs.  A team like the Washington R words bench him after the first NE game last year because they are a joke franchise. 

side note, EJ was too nice and played like a robot.  I wish he played the way Allen did because on paper, he had all the tools.  For better or worse, Allen lays it all out. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

This is one of those for discussion posts. 😉

EJ and Allen had very similar passing rookie years (in fact EJ had a better completion %, td to int, qb rating). EJ got benched 4 games into his 2nd year for a coward who actively tries not to get hurt.  His numbers were better after his first 4 games into his second year than Allen’s were.  https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/ManuEJ00/gamelog/2014/
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/A/AlleJo02/gamelog/2019/

it definitely doesn’t mean EJ would have ever developed like Allen has.  But Marrone and Hackett (who was never a nfl OC and was both EJ’s OC and qb coach) made sure it won’t happen.  His development sucked.  And bad teams have a history of doing this.  It’s what Washington and Cleveland and the Jets do.  The Bills made a ton of questionable decisions for Allen’s rookie year but they stayed with the guys through ups and downs.  A team like the Washington R words bench him after the first NE game last year because they are a joke franchise. 

side note, EJ was too nice and played like a robot.  I wish he played the way Allen did because on paper, he had all the tools.  For better or worse, Allen lays it all out. 

I don't think statistics are an end all be all. Josh Allen showed more his rookie year with worst statistics than EJ Manuel ever showed

EJ Manuel on paper had all the tools, but come game time he didn't have that it factor and the will to win

that inside determination is usually what separates a player who makes it from one who doesn't

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Buffalo716 said:

I don't think statistics are an end all be all. Josh Allen showed more his rookie year with worst statistics than EJ Manuel ever showed

EJ Manuel on paper had all the tools, but come game time he didn't have that it factor and the will to win

that inside determination is usually what separates a player who makes it from one who doesn't

I don’t really disagree but he had a comeback against the second ranked defense in the nfl that year and was playing his best football before he got hurt in Cleveland.  I also think Marrone is a terrible offensive coach.

that said, I couldn’t imagine EJ ever putting up numbers like Allen is doing now.  It’s insane the jump he has.  

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I don’t really disagree but he had a comeback against the second ranked defense in the nfl that year and was playing his best football before he got hurt in Cleveland.  I also think Marrone is a terrible offensive coach.

that said, I couldn’t imagine EJ ever putting up numbers like Allen is doing now.  It’s insane the jump he has.  

Sure the bills came back in that game, 

But It's a team game. I mean I think everybody wanted him to succeed

But it was clear a year in that he just didn't have that dog in him. He was supposed to be this big 6'5 240 lb dual threat quarterback. But he didn't have the dog in him to be that threat

And it's perfectly fine,  most NFL quarterbacks don't work out

He had his moments, but not enough

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 1

It's appropriate that Yolo got this scoop......because Yolo was head over heels in love with his Ohio State QB Haskins in 2018.

He openly lamented how much better of a prospect Haskins was than Josh Allen.

I think it was like "I'd trade Josh+ for him NOW".

Trust the process.

Trust but verify(and then hire a private investigator and run like 20 surprise inspections) anything related to Urban Liar.

EJ sucked.  He got unseated by Tyrod Taylor!

Coaches like to bring in their own QBs.  Not develop someone else's project.  I don't blame Rivera.  He has no real investment in Haskins.  Plus, Kyle Allen showed some good things in his first two years in the league and is only 24 years of age.  Gives them a better chance to win now and he's young and still has room to grow.  My guess is Haskins gets dumped or traded, Washington drafts their next QB this offseason and Allen serves as the bridge.  Smith hangs on as the mentor.

9 hours ago, Process said:

I haven't watched them at all this year but it seems like this can't be a good move. They might have the worst group of skill position players in the league. 

Their WR Terry McLaurin had a very good rookie year and the rookie RB Gibson has looked good. The rest though.  Logan Thomas is their starting TE.   Three of their other WRs are undrafted.

1 hour ago, Kmart128 said:

Not sure this makes sense. Haskins was drafted 15th and just started his sophomore season. 

I think that because of the change in regime, no one was invested in his development and they haven’t built around him either. They aren’t tied to him at all, so if he didn’t light it up right away they weren’t going to be patient with the hook. Rivera trusts Kyle Allen and doesn’t care if Haskins succceeds or fails because he didn’t pick him. Contrast that with beane and McDermott being completely tied to josh - if he looks good, they look good. So they are dumping every resource Into his development. Another reason the Bills waited until Beane was on board before drafting a QB. 

Tbh Darnold and Mayfield are in similar situations though a year ahead of Haskins and drafted much higher... but neither one still has the same GM/HC in place as when they were drafted. Regimes always feel more tied to guy they scouted/drafted. 

16 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

This is some craziness right here.  But it tells me a couple things. 1. Rivera must have issues with Haskin’s off-field preparation.  2. Rivera didn’t draft him so he has no qualms about replacing him going forward.

8 hours ago, purple haze said:

This is some craziness right here.  But it tells me a couple things. 1. Rivera must have issues with Haskin’s off-field preparation.  2. Rivera didn’t draft him so he has no qualms about replacing him going forward.

When did Rivera get fired you ask? *checks notes* after Dwayne beat him and his boy Kyle Allen in Week 13  last year. after Allen got sacked 7 times and threw a pick. 

im not saying Allen can’t improve. But That’s funny.anyway, Haskins was probably done as soon as Allen was signed. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1

Way to go Washington.

Another outdated Coach turning back to a garbage backup QB that he brought with him from the last place that fired him, throwing to a subpar set of skill position players.

Gave Haskins all of 11-games in a dysfunctional organization. 

Great plan there, just like the Jets hanging Darnold out to dry.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

14 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

When did Rivera get fired you ask? *checks notes* after Dwayne beat him and his boy Kyle Allen in Week 13  last year. after Allen got sacked 7 times and threw a pick. 

im not saying Allen can’t improve. But That’s funny.anyway, Haskins was probably done as soon as Allen was signed. 

Yep.  I don’t believe Allen is the answer as a starter and he’ll show that again.  

Haskins should be asking for a trade out of there.  He’s going nowhere with that organization.

On 10/7/2020 at 2:02 PM, Albany,n.y. said:

More proof stats are meaningless.  You have to see the player play to properly evaluate him.  Watching Josh in his rookie year anyone could see the flashes of brilliance that gave observers encouragement for his future.  I doubt the same could be said for Haskins.

Are there any rumors about Haskins having behavioral issues? A demotion is one thing but this move did seem rather drastic, no?

On 10/7/2020 at 9:16 AM, YoloinOhio said:

Haskins may not be the second coming of joe Montana but he was not in a good situation. I wonder what he would cost in a trade. Better backup than barkley 

This is what you want?

A dude who doesn't put the work in because he thinks he doesn't have to?

A dude that gets called out by a teammate because Alex Smith is at the facility earlier than he is every day preparing even tho he knows he will be inactive every week?

My lord...he wouldn't even prepare and put the work in as a starter, what do you think he is going to do as a backup???

No thanks, we don't need another Billy Joe Hobert. This dude would never fit the culture here. Either he would shape up quick or he would be out the door.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/report-dwayne-haskins-poor-study-172235925.html

Edited by matter2003
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, matter2003 said:

This is what you want?

A dude who doesn't put the work in because he thinks he doesn't have to?

A dude that gets called out by a teammate because Alex Smith is at the facility earlier than he is every day preparing even tho he knows he will be inactive every week?

My lord...he wouldn't even prepare and put the work in as a starter, what do you think he is going to do as a backup???

No thanks, we don't need another Bobby Hebert. This dude would never fit the culture here. Either he would shape up quick or he would be out the door.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/report-dwayne-haskins-poor-study-172235925.html

Bobby Hebert played for Saints and a few other teams not including us.   I recall he was an ok QB.

8 minutes ago, prissythecat said:

Bobby Hebert played for Saints and a few other teams not including us.   I recall he was an ok QB.

Not when he was here and admitted to not preparing as the backup because he didn't think he would play but then got forced in due to injury...that didn't end well.

3 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

Are there any rumors about Haskins having behavioral issues? A demotion is one thing but this move did seem rather drastic, no?

Yes...just posted a link to an article a few posts down from your original post saying Haskins was unprepared and unmotivated to put in the work off the field to get better. Specifically mentioned practice and study habits and said a teammate went after him because Alex Smith was always there before him every day preparing even though he knew he would be inactive every game.

Edited by matter2003
  • Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Not when he was here and admitted to not preparing as the backup because he didn't think he would play but then got forced in due to injury...that didn't end well.

Yes...just posted a link to an article a few posts down from your original post saying Haskins was unprepared and unmotivated to put in the work off the field to get better. Specifically mentioned practice and study habits and said a teammate went after him because Alex Smith was always there before him every day preparing even though he knew he would be inactive every game.

Bobby Hebert never played here like I stated earlier.  Are you referring to another qb named Billy Joe Hobert who was with us for as season or so in late 90s?

38 minutes ago, prissythecat said:

Bobby Hebert never played here like I stated earlier.  Are you referring to another qb named Billy Joe Hobert who was with us for as season or so in late 90s?

Oh damn...yes, my bad...you are right.  I always get those dudes confused. Original post corrected.

Edited by matter2003
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, matter2003 said:

Thanks, this makes sense.

Many folks are not equipped at a young age to be given millions of dollars and still have the same drive to work hard. When I was his age, I can't say for sure how well I would have acted with my pockets stuffed with huge, guaranteed cash.

Fromm for Haskins, phone it in.  Seems like Washington is simply done with Dwayne and the feeling is mutual.  Maybe it's my Buckeye glasses, but Haskins is a way better prospect than Fromm.  I think he fits the mold of what this offense asks Allen to do better than Fromm.  Bring him in as the backup.

13 hours ago, purple haze said:

Haskins should be asking for a trade out of there.  He’s going nowhere with that organization.

Seems like he'll go nowhere with any org...doesn't have the right attitude. Career backup maybe.

2 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

Fromm for Haskins, phone it in.  Seems like Washington is simply done with Dwayne and the feeling is mutual.  Maybe it's my Buckeye glasses, but Haskins is a way better prospect than Fromm.  I think he fits the mold of what this offense asks Allen to do better than Fromm.  Bring him in as the backup.

I'd be down for that. Player swap.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

Seems like he'll go nowhere with any org...doesn't have the right attitude. Career backup maybe.

I'd be down for that. Player swap.

Very possible.  I assumed their must be off-field issues with his game preparation.  Then I just see the article posted here.  Lack of preparation is unacceptable for any player, especially QB.  I will say, though, that a new environment might fix that issue:

1. Washington has issues swirling around it for years under Snyder.  Might not be the best environment for him.  2.  Haskins would not be playing at home, where his family and friends might be a distraction for him.