Haskins benched in Washington

YoloinOhio

3 hours ago, Chuck Wagon said:

Fromm for Haskins, phone it in.  Seems like Washington is simply done with Dwayne and the feeling is mutual.  Maybe it's my Buckeye glasses, but Haskins is a way better prospect than Fromm.  I think he fits the mold of what this offense asks Allen to do better than Fromm.  Bring him in as the backup.

If he’s not willing to put in the work when the job was handed to him I’m not sure if he’s out in the work knowing he’s be nothing more than a backup here.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Chuck Wagon said:

Fromm for Haskins, phone it in.  Seems like Washington is simply done with Dwayne and the feeling is mutual.  Maybe it's my Buckeye glasses, but Haskins is a way better prospect than Fromm.  I think he fits the mold of what this offense asks Allen to do better than Fromm.  Bring him in as the backup.

Naah.....QBs from OSU are never overhyped by their fans!

• Haha (+1) 2

Pass on Haskins.  I just wish Alex Smith was healthy enough to start.  That team would start winning some games.  I mentioned earlier there was a report this summer, so not sure if accurate, he may have an ankle drag at least what some reporters were saying when they were observing a small portion of the practice.  Dr. Chow said on NFLR it’s possible from that horrific injury now that the infections, and bones healed, there would be a possibility of some nerve damage in the foot/ankle.  Chow mentioned that he didn’t think the team doctors would clear him though if that were the case and they could easily see in motion drills.  I’ll take him at his word as he was the team doctor for the Chargers for years and an authority in sports injuries.  For those that don’t know him he’s an Ortho out of CA.

3 hours ago, matter2003 said:

Final straw apparently was him bragging after the game about his stats and his 300 yard passing game...

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/dwayne-haskins-reported-stat-bragging-222145241.html

According to some, this is a racist dog whistle and you can’t say a black QB has maturity issues or a bad work ethic. It’s racist. Obviously. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

I know this is slightly off topic but how is it week 5 and this team is still nameless? Conservatively it May take 4 hours to come up with a name and logo....it’s been like 3 months. What is the deal?

He said he's not choosing a name this season

Any NFL team with this logo just needs to rethink their whole season...

washinton.png.6b03913691d43225532cc7abf1c97e2a.png

Seriously though, they do have a decent defense, but Haskins got destroyed his first few seasons in the NFL behind that Washington O-line. I have rarely seen QBs fully recover from such a rough start and he never quite put up the passing numbers folks thought he would. Rivera strikes me as a very no-nonsense kind of coach and he has no real ties to Haskins.

These guys have been pretty snake-bit as they got a decent coach in Rivera who then found out and announced he had cancer back in Aug.

10 hours ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

I know this is slightly off topic but how is it week 5 and this team is still nameless? Conservatively it May take 4 hours to come up with a name and logo....it’s been like 3 months. What is the deal?

Because that was what they decided to go with for the season and will revisit it after the season ends. There is a chance the name could remain permanently.

25 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Reports are that they’re trading him before the deadline.

Who would want him, much less for anything substantial?

And I'll bet Alex Smith is starting there before the end of the year.

8 minutes ago, Back the Blue said:

Haskins didn't show for the game today.  Claims to have a stomach bug.  What a coincidence that it happens the same week he goes from starter to 3rd string.

Didn’t show? He was sent home

Just now, Doc Brown said:

Ohio State quarterbacks man.  I hope the Jets draft Justin Fields.  

Yes, they are exactly the same QB. 🧐

2 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Didn’t show? He was sent home

Yes, they are exactly the same QB. 🧐

I forgot we had a Ohio State fanatic :) on the board.  They're as cursed as USC QB's so maybe he'll be the Carson Palmer of the bunch.

6 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

I forgot we had a Ohio State fanatic :) on the board.  They're as cursed as USC QB's so maybe he'll be the Carson Palmer of the bunch.

Ok. I’m not a fanatic in the sense that I like every player, as is WELL established. For any program - especially one that has had a coaching and scheme change in between - it’s not wise to assume two QBs are similar in nfl potential because they both played for the same college. They are not even similar in style.

Edited by YoloinOhio

43 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Ok. I’m not a fanatic in the sense that I like every player, as is WELL established. For any program - especially one that has had a coaching and scheme change in between - it’s not wise to assume two QBs are similar in nfl potential because they both played for the same college. They are not even similar in style.

Like I said.  Maybe he'll break the trend like Carson Palmer did with USC.

43 minutes ago, DJB said:

How can you not cheer and be happy for Alex Smith. 

Amazing.

I'm happy for him but he's getting destroyed by the Rams d-line.  I'm wincing just watching it.

48 minutes ago, FireChans said:

It's just a bad take. The history of the league tells us this.

Recent history tells us that a quarterback that a team gives up on after just a season won’t amount to much. 

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Rosen was traded for a second. Bad take.

LOL. Haskins has no chance to be traded for anywhere close to that.  They are better off keeping him.

Edited by Doc

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

What NYC Bill is to Bama you are to Ohio State. That qualifies you as a fanatic. End of the discussion! :ph34r:

1 hour ago, FireChans said:

Rosen was traded for a second. Bad take.

Yeah, but just because Rosen was traded for a second doesn’t mean he’ll amount to anything. It was actually an all time stupid move to trade a second for Rosen imo. Why would anyone give a second for a guy whose team clearly gave up on him after just one year ? The Cardinals obviously wanted to nothing to do with Rosen after drafting him in the first, then Miami comes along throwing a second round pick at the Cards. It was just dumb. 

Edited by SirAndrew

Incredible stats line for Alex Smith

9 out of 17 for 37 yards -- 6 sacks for -31 yards --  a net of 6 yards on 23 drop-backs for 0.26 yards per passing play.

I was going to say this has to be one of the worse statlines in NFL history but I guess 5 interceptions in a half is worse than that.

Edited by Billy Claude

57 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Was Rosen that much better as a rookie?

no but he had a lot more hype than Haskins. But again it’s a cautionary tale. I can’t see anybody giving up anything substantial for Haskins, in which case they’d be better off just keeping him around.

• Like (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, SirAndrew said:

Yeah, but just because Rosen was traded for a second doesn’t mean he’ll amount to anything. It was actually an all time stupid move to trade a second for Rosen imo. Why would anyone give a second for a guy whose team clearly gave up on him after just one year ? The Cardinals obviously wanted to nothing to do with Rosen after drafting him in the first, then Miami comes along throwing a second round pick at the Cards. It was just dumb. 

No one thinks that Rosen being traded for a second meant he’d amount to anything. That’s obvious.

• Like (+1) 1

Interesting read from Deadspin* and the raw deal Haskins is getting

https://deadspin.com/dwayne-haskins-sacrificed-for-nfl-nepotism-of-scott-tur-1845339489

I'll punt on the race angle, but they make some good points here and there.

This is how the Nepotism Football League rabbit hole works. An unqualified rookie coordinator vouches for an undrafted QB, and needs that QB because he knows his system...

Ultimately, Washington’s offense is in big trouble because Rivera chose to invest in Scott Turner’s future instead of Haskins’, and is doubling down on that first big mistake.

*The new, bland and largely neutered version of Deadspin.

35 minutes ago, TheElectricCompany said:

Interesting read from Deadspin* and the raw deal Haskins is getting

https://deadspin.com/dwayne-haskins-sacrificed-for-nfl-nepotism-of-scott-tur-1845339489

I'll punt on the race angle, but they make some good points here and there.

*The new, bland and largely neutered version of Deadspin.

His teammates don't like him.

https://www.radio.com/thefandc/sports/washington-football-team/dwayne-haskins-gloated-about-stats-after-washington-loss

https://www.sportsgossip.com/the-redskins-offensive-line-completely-ignoring-dwayne-haskins-on-the-sideline-is-not-easy-to-watch/

I hear he is overly concerned with what is being said about him in the media and spends a lot of time on Twitter.  Maturity concerns abound.

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

His teammates don't like him.

https://www.radio.com/thefandc/sports/washington-football-team/dwayne-haskins-gloated-about-stats-after-washington-loss

https://www.sportsgossip.com/the-redskins-offensive-line-completely-ignoring-dwayne-haskins-on-the-sideline-is-not-easy-to-watch/

I hear he is overly concerned with what is being said about him in the media and spends a lot of time on Twitter.  Maturity concerns abound.

Where there's smoke, there's fire, and it does seem there are reasonable concerns around his work ethic and maturity.

I still think WFT is a terrible environment for any young QB.