Defense:

Norman

Addison

Klein

Matakevich

Jefferson

Butler

(Extended Poyer)

Is McBeane always going to prioritize defense first? Going into this, all of the analysis was that the Bills needed to build the offense, but apparently McBeane had other plans. You can talk about the draft all you want, but those returns aren't usually immediate.

Easier to outscore an opponent is limit how much they score instead of trying to beat them in a shootout.

1 hour ago, Augie said:

A lot of that “defense” is largely ST, and BY FAR the largest and most important acquisition was on offense. We just got started in free agency. Let’s see this play out, then see what happens in the draft. (Spain is not unimportant.)

Not to mention I'm convinced our first 2 picks will be offense.

He said going into the offseason that he wanted to get more "touchdown makers" for the offense. They've only added one so far.

I expect additions at running back (FA and draft) and WR (draft), and a McKenzie-type gadget player now that they didn't tender him.

Beane is far from done. Have faith.

9 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Really depends what they do the rest of FA.... still kindve hoping they go offense early. (WR and RB with day 2 picks)

They need a back that has break away speed and can take it the distance in one play.... 

Forgot about RB. Definitely want to see them add that take it to the house back either in the draft of FA'cy. I like Devin. He's a good player. But it would be ideal if we added a HR threat and a between the tackles back. The latter is much easier to find.

I still want that stud edge, but it doesn't look like they're going that route in FA'cy.

So that's basically three areas of need/want right now. Not bad.

Edited by LSHMEAB

1 hour ago, BillsVet said:

I've been banging the drum that McD has prioritized the defense his first 2 seasons at the expense of the offense.  The byproduct was their offense during the first half of 2018 and last year they were mostly below average.   You could have made this point a year ago, but not anymore. 

Trading for Diggs combined with their focus on offensive skill types last year in UFA and the 2 third rounders is a major shift.  This is a team that has been questioned about their offensive talent and they responded.  So long as McD and Daboll use these guys appropriately, they've changed their direction

I don't think they changed their direction at all. They followed a 3-year blueprint to rebuild and everything is going according to plan. We're now at a place where we can maintain our defensive dominance and continue to build the offense.

14 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Maybe Ford can be that interior guy, but as of now looks like he’s back at Tackle.

The concern is if one of our older ends falls off during the season.... so I wouldn’t be upset if they went edge in the 2nd or 3rd.....but they need more on offense.... one dynamic back and another high round WR and they’ll be set.

I have zero faith in Murphy. Hughes is getting up there, and isn't the player he once was. Addison is 32. It's not an impressive unit and I'm a big "pressure the QB" guy. Hopefully Oliver makes big strides in year 2. Don't disagree with your take on the offensive needs, but I'm still concerned enough about DE that I would prefer they go that route in round 2.

• Like (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Really depends what they do the rest of FA.... still kindve hoping they go offense early. (WR and RB with day 2 picks)

They need a back that has break away speed and can take it the distance in one play.... 

Christian Wade  - Buffalo Bills, May 14, 2019. Photo by Craig Melvin/Buffalo Bills

1 hour ago, MJS said:

I don't think they changed their direction at all. They followed a 3-year blueprint to rebuild and everything is going according to plan. We're now at a place where we can maintain our defensive dominance and continue to build the offense.

I'm not going to bash McD or Beane at this point.  They just traded their 1st for a proven NFL WR who instantly should make the QB and the entire offense better.

People talk about McD's process and I have no doubt he had a plan or else ownership would not have hired him.  But the idea it was down to the letter over 3 years is hard to believe. There are too many variables and I suspect the HC and GM needed to deviate every so often.  Besides, nothing ever goes according to plan, especially 1-2 seasons into the future.

3 hours ago, Foxx said:

right. who did we lose on offense?

Frank Gore, Isiah McKenzie, 

1 hour ago, LSHMEAB said:

I have zero faith in Murphy. Hughes is getting up there, and isn't the player he once was. Addison is 32. It's not an impressive unit and I'm a big "pressure the QB" guy. Hopefully Oliver makes big strides in year 2. Don't disagree with your take on the offensive needs, but I'm still concerned enough about DE that I would prefer they go that route in round 2.

hard to get premium pass rushes post Rd 1

The offense did not have a lot of holes coming into the offseason. We had ONE gaping hole that NEEDED to be filled and Diggs filled it. Our biggest problem on offense last year was John Brown forced into a #1 role, and our #2 was shared between Duke Williams and Zay Jones... I think within a couple years everyone will look back and realize how bad that top 2 pairing was. Diggs is going to affect everything else on offense just by being on the field.

The only other hole we have on offense is a 2nd RB. That's something you find in the draft. I'm not even remotely worried about that.

Get used to Ford as RT. They aren't giving up on him this early. I am sure they will add more competition there as well. But 5 out of 5 offensive linemen returning for a consecutive year is HUGE. We will have the same exact coach and depth players too. This is more important than anything else we could have done with that position group.

The defense lost a bunch of starters and by and large their replacements are better players and better value.

On offense we needed quality, on defense we needed quantity. That's exactly how the offseason has been structured. And they'll still add at least 2 offensive playmakers in the draft, book it.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

5 hours ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Going into this, all of the analysis was that the Bills needed to build the offense, 

No it wasn't. We had far more defensive needs. 

They had 1 bigger high profile need on offense, and addressed it straight away. 

Arguably the only outstanding clear need is a rotational RB. And you could pick them up easily 

5 hours ago, Jpsredemption said:

They were 24th in offense last year. So anyone that wants to point to last years FA and say that was enough needs to ask themselves whether or not 24th is good enough. 

With a new OL coach and basically no continuity from the year before, it was an acceptable and expected improvement from being 30th or whatever on offense.  You could expect another improvement just from retaining those starters (and now second year players rather than starting rookies), but we added Diggs.

Chill.

7 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Maybe Ford can be that interior guy, but as of now looks like he’s back at Tackle.

The concern is if one of our older ends falls off during the season.... so I wouldn’t be upset if they went edge in the 2nd or 3rd.....but they need more on offense.... one dynamic back and another high round WR and they’ll be set.

I understand your concern about DEs, but in today’s NFL with quick short passes - you really need DTs that can get pressure and the Bills have that.  

I think McDermott wants his DEs to contain first and get after the QB second - maintain the pocket and let Oliver get after the QB and move him off his spot right to a DE. 

The only offensive player that we had is our future N°1 WR, seems pretty legit to me ;) without forgotten that we lost a few defensives players so it's logical to me that we'll bring more defensive guys after this.

The numbers had to be on defense and the most important move had to be a number 1 receiver. The offense was always going to be attacked in the draft. I decided to do a simulated draft (because I’m bored) after reading this thread. I set it to difficult and don’t pay for the ability to trade (I’m too cheap). In reality though the Bills probably don’t use this many picks. Regardless, I would LOVE this roster at that point. Here’s what they came out of the draft with:

54: R2P22

RB JONATHAN TAYLOR
WISCONSIN
86: R3P22

WR LYNN BOWDEN
KENTUCKY
128: R4P22

EDGE KENNY WILLEKES
MICHIGAN STATE
155: R5P9

LB EVAN WEAVER
CALIFORNIA
188: R6P9

OT TREY ADAMS
WASHINGTON
207: R6P28

S J.R. REED
GEORGIA
239: R7P25

CB AMIK ROBERTSON
LOUISIANA TECH
Edited by Kirby Jackson
  • Like (+1) 1

Defensive moves have been strong. I would still look to draft a DE early as well. They do need more offensive FA help though. They need another veteran OT to compete with Ford and Nsekhe and a veteran RB as well. A veteran TE wouldn't hurt either.

10 hours ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Offense:

Diggs

(Re-signed Spain)

Defense:

Norman

Addison

Klein

Matakevich

Jefferson

Butler

(Extended Poyer)

Is McBeane always going to prioritize defense first? Going into this, all of the analysis was that the Bills needed to build the offense, but apparently McBeane had other plans. You can talk about the draft all you want, but those returns aren't usually immediate.

There's a saying - Defense Wins Championships.

"Defense wins championships" grew up in decades when the saying was true on its face. The great teams of the '60s, '70s and '80s lived by their defenses.

The Packer teams from the first two Super Bowls finished ranked first and third in scoring defense but only sixth and ninth on offense.

The '72 and '73 Dolphins ranked first on defense in both seasons.

The Steeler teams of '74, '75 and '78 finished first or second on defense each season.

The '85 Bears and '86 Giants finished first and second on defense. Although during these decades, teams mixed in that were substantially higher ranked on defense than on offense such as the '77 Cowboys, the maxim was generally valid.

The Ravens on the league in 2000 with a legendary defense and mediocre offense as did the 2002 Buccaneers and 2003 Patriots.

Edited by SlimShady'sGhost

11 hours ago, Logic said:

He said going into the offseason that he wanted to get more "touchdown makers" for the offense. They've only added one so far.

I expect additions at running back (FA and draft) and WR (draft), and a McKenzie-type gadget player now that they didn't tender him.

Beane is far from done. Have faith.

Shenault at 54 is a real possibility.

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, FarrellsFinest said:

I would love to see us draft offense. WR, TE, and RB. They wont have any pressure to come in and contribute and they could learn in a reserve capacity.

pick 2 RB

pick 3 WR

pick 4 QB

4 hours ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

There's a saying - Defense Wins Championships.

"Defense wins championships" grew up in decades when the saying was true on its face. The great teams of the '60s, '70s and '80s lived by their defenses.

The Packer teams from the first two Super Bowls finished ranked first and third in scoring defense but only sixth and ninth on offense.

The '72 and '73 Dolphins ranked first on defense in both seasons.

The Steeler teams of '74, '75 and '78 finished first or second on defense each season.

The '85 Bears and '86 Giants finished first and second on defense. Although during these decades, teams mixed in that were substantially higher ranked on defense than on offense such as the '77 Cowboys, the maxim was generally valid.

The Ravens on the league in 2000 with a legendary defense and mediocre offense as did the 2002 Buccaneers and 2003 Patriots.

Funny the last teams you listed were ion 2003...that was 17 years ago right?

Look at the last 15-20 super bowls and teams score in the 30's in the majority of them. A few random low scoring games but most have been won via offense and featured strong offensive teams. 

15 hours ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Offense:

Diggs

(Re-signed Spain)

Defense:

Norman

Addison

Klein

Matakevich

Jefferson

Butler

(Extended Poyer)

we did re-sign a bunch of players on offense - Spencer Long option, Quinton Spain re-sign, Foster re-sign, restructured Kroft, Croom extension. Continuity is a good thing.

also signed TE Nate Becker, WR Nick Easley, WR Ray-Ray McCloud,  OT Victor Salako, RB Christian Wade and QB Davis Webb to reserve/future contracts.

We had new holes on defense / ST - departures of Shaq, Phillips and retirement of Lorax - but no real new holes on offense - only WR1 which was a carryover hole. 

That being said, we aint done - we may still go RB / Oline / TE in the rest of FA / Draft.

Edited by IgotBILLStopay

53 minutes ago, inaugural balls said:

I’ll compile a list for you. 

Would you like it in triplicate?

sure.

Anyway,  hopefully on the Bills, Diggs turns out to be AJ Green.  So far, he's been more like Sammy Watkins.

16 hours ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Offense:

Diggs

(Re-signed Spain)

Defense:

Norman

Addison

Klein

Matakevich

Jefferson

Butler

(Extended Poyer)

Didn't we sign Morse, Beasley, Brown and about a dozen O-linemen last year?

Edited by PromoTheRobot

47 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

sure.

Anyway,  hopefully on the Bills, Diggs turns out to be AJ Green.  So far, he's been more like Sammy Watkins.

Diggs’ youth, skill set and contract are exactly what this team needs right now. If that is equal to Green’s career, so be it. Green has been great.

moving forward however - SD fits us perfectly.

I don’t quite get the SW comparison - and that’s fine. 

1 hour ago, inaugural balls said:

Diggs’ youth, skill set and contract are exactly what this team needs right now. If that is equal to Green’s career, so be it. Green has been great.

moving forward however - SD fits us perfectly.

I don’t quite get the SW comparison - and that’s fine. 

the comparison was that both are very talented, but haven't produced to that potential, and have played as their teams' non-primary receiver for the most part of their careers.

But yes,  he's definitely so much better than any WR already on the roster and they had to do something more significant with WR 4 years into this rebuild.

Edited by Mr. WEO

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

the comparison was that both are very talented, but haven't produced to that potential, and have played as their teams' non-primary receiver for the most part of their careers.

But yes,  he's definitely so much better than any WR already on the roster and they had to do something more significant with WR 4 years into this rebuild.

I don't know the Vikes that well, but it always seemed to me that they essentially had two primary receivers.  That's what was tough about them together, and that's why Cousins has been a disappointment.   I think Green has struggled to be a #1 who made a difference for his team, and Watkins clearly failed at being a #1, period. 

I think Diggs has been more of a difference maker for his team, and he comfortable in the role of "the" guy.   

Brown never has had quite enough to take over a game when the team needed it, but he's a devastating weapon as #2 receiver.   

And it takes pressure off of Beasley.  He's going to go back to what he's best at: being a pesky little guy who threatens to sting you every play.  

Ask your self this:  rank the following players in order of the guy you'd like as your #2 receiver.   That is, assuming you're happy with your number 1 guy, and you could choose any of these three, which would it be?   Robert Woods, Cole Beasley, John Brown.   

For me, it's Brown in a heartbeat, and that's from someone who always admired Woods.   Beasley is a distant third.   

I think the Bills are ending up with starting receivers who now each is playing the role on the team that he's best at. 

I really like the comment about having to finally address  a position that some fans thought was stepchild.   I think it's really the third year of the rebuild, but we skip that argument.  Whatever you call it, they just couldn't wait any longer.   

And it's a major statement from Bills' management saying "we're here now.   Not 2021, we're here now."  It's a statement to Josh, a challenge.   The lack of attention to the Oline is a statement and a challenge to the oline.   It says to the oline "we're all in on you, or else we would have gone after help.   We traded out of #1 because we don't need a #1 to replace any of you."   It's a statement to the fans, and to the owners.    It's a statement that says to everyone "we can win now.  We aren't done getting better, but we can win now."

The deal says McBeane think they already are good enough to compete for it all, and they aren't done.   Not having made the deal and getting the best receiver at #22 would have said "we're still building," because that guy is quite likely not going make a difference in 2020.  Might play, but not make a difference.   But the Diggs deal says they don't think they have to wait to win a lot.

And I think the moves on the defense says exactly the same thing.   It says we need to get some guys in here to plug some holes, and we'll be fine.   Free agency begins and BINGO! some serious hole-plugging and more additions join the team.   

All of it screams that they're ready.  

• Like (+1) 1