Diggs on the block? Rumor is a 2nd rd pick (year old thread)

BillsMafi$

4 hours ago, Mickey said:

I agree, there is a time and place for laying down your cash, I just don't think doing it for a WR in a year where the draft has more top talent at WR than we have seen in years makes any sense. Besides, does he strike anyone as being a guy who is just dying to come and play for the Bills? I'd rather see the money go to improving the pass rush or bringing in a real TE.

1st bold:  Bills need to look for 2 WRs.  They also need to stagger their ages.  Right now Beasley is 30, Brown is 29, Diggs is 26, and the ROOKIE that they

need to draft will be about 22.

2nd bold:  IF and I will emphasize IF they Bills traded for Diggs they will still have over 70 million in cap for a pass rusher and a REAL TE.

It's apparent you personally don't want the Beane looking into the "possibility" of a Diggs deal but you must at least agree that it could be

a rational avenue to pursue.

• Like (+1) 2

22 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

You're not going to get him for less.

Um, the rumor is a 3nd.

1 hour ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...pretty fair assessment  'Bisquit......Cousin's multiple tags and eventual contract fall WELL short of being "THE Guy".......

I would say he is at the top of that group though.

56 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

1st bold:  Bills need to look for 2 WRs.  They also need to stagger their ages.  Right now Beasley is 30, Brown is 29, Diggs is 26, and the ROOKIE that they

2nd bold:  IF and I will emphasize IF they Bills traded for Diggs they will still have over 70 million in cap for a pass rusher and a REAL TE.

To add a third point to the two good ones you've already made, any rookie they bring in this year is not likely to pick up all of this offense quickly enough to be truly effective in it.

I agree they need to grab a kid in this WR deep draft, but if you want to help Josh short-term, you'd be wise to also bring another veteran on board next year.

• Like (+1) 6

16 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Just look at 1st round WR's taken in the last five drafts and it's like flipping a coin.....

Cooper, White, Parker, Agholar, Perriman, Coleman, Fuller, Doctson, Treadwell, Davis, M. Williams, Ross, Moore, Ridley, M. Brown, and Harry.

I'd take Diggs ahead of any of them except Cooper.  There's at least four busts in there and a few who've underwhelmed.  

I’d have to say it’s an anomaly, especially when you compare it to the success rate of guys taken in the second round during the same time (Michael Thomas, Tyler Boyd, JuJu, DJ Chark, Cooper Cupp, Debo Samuel, DK Metcalf, etc...). With all the time and money spent on scouting, there is no rationale explanation for guys selected later to outperform the first rounders.  Still, it makes you wonder...(I’d take Diggs over Cooper, BTW)

Edited by mannc
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, mannc said:

I’d have to say it’s an anomaly, especially when you compare it to the success rate of guys taken in the second round during the same time (Michael Thomas, Tyler Boyd, JuJu, DJ Chark, Cooper Cupp, Debo Samuel, DK Metcalf, etc...). With all the time and money spent on scouting, there is no rationale explanation for guys selected later to outperform the first rounders.  Still, it makes you wonder...

I was listening to a podcast awhile back so this is from memory.  A former GM was talking about the first open tryout they ever did - in Dallas I believe.  They had a lot of people show up, many more than they were expecting.  They divided them into two groups - WRs and everyone else.  And the WR group was much larger than the other. 

The upshot of that is that there are a lot of people (relative to other positions) who have the minimum physical abilities needed to play WR in the NFL.  That makes a lot of sense when you consider the different types of WRs there are and the different roles they fill.  But success in the NFL requires a lot more than physical gifts.  Some develop those and some don't, but the pool of people who might is so deep that those aren’t necessarily 1st round players.   Sure, WRs who are big, fast and agile will be a bigger priority than those that lack one of those characteristics, but many of that latter group will surpass the former group even if they don’t have the same ceiling. 

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

I've always why a player who is as good as Diggs dropped to the fifth round. This is a decent explainer: https://247sports.com/college/maryland/Article/How-Did-Stefon-Diggs-Fall-to-Fifth-Round-of-NFL-Draft-47607699/

It’s interesting to me because one quoted part in the article:

Most of his production came from slot or as outside receiver in space. Must prove he can win as route runner against quality cornerbacks. Play strength is below par. Gets muscled around by physical defenders. Very aware of oncoming traffic and will stop routes to avoid big hits

Is the same knock that Jalen Reagor has... Then you go back and look at his tape with a solid QB and he looks very different. Particularly against Ohio State. Sometimes these guys get knocked and drop. sometimes they don’t. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 2/19/2020 at 3:27 PM, Alphadawg7 said:

I want a big WR still too.  What do you think about this:

Trade our 2nd for Diggs.

Trade a 6th to AZ for David Johnson AND their 3rd.

Now draft Michael Pittman (or other big WR prospect) with Arizona’s 3rd.  

Still have our first, our own 3rd, and our 4th to use on spots like DE, OT, LB or DB.

Thats a very doable scenario.  

Neither Minnesota nor Arizona would be dumb enough to make that trade.

16 minutes ago, Billl said:

Neither Minnesota nor Arizona would be dumb enough to make that trade.

Yet plenty of smoke and rumors around those exact trades.  Houston did this exact scenario with Cleveland to get rid of Osweiler, except they gave Cleveland a 2nd round pick to do it.  And I think at this point, its quite possible Diggs gets traded and all the rumors are talking a 2nd round pick is what could get it done.

There are no guarantees, and rumors are always just rumors, but to say never when both of those exact scenarios have some smoke building around them is a bit premature IMO.  

Edited by Alphadawg7

45 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Yet plenty of smoke and rumors around those exact trades.  Houston did this exact scenario with Cleveland to get rid of Osweiler, except they gave Cleveland a 2nd round pick to do it.  And I think at this point, its quite possible Diggs gets traded and all the rumors are talking a 2nd round pick is what could get it done.

There are no guarantees, and rumors are always just rumors, but to say never when both of those exact scenarios have some smoke building around them is a bit premature IMO.  

Yeah but is the smoke coming from the Bills...........

the Cardinals..........

or the Vikings?

?

• Haha (+1) 1

On 2/19/2020 at 6:49 PM, C.Biscuit97 said:

Yeah but there’s something off about him. He seems like a giant dork and I think his record is pretty bad in prime time matchups.  

He’s one of those guys that puts up numbers but no one fears.  

Exactly. Like Marino back in the day. Excellent   Passer.  But not the QB you want on your team in the playoffs.

As for the WR debate. Golliday over Diggs.  For the same reasons you take a winning  QB over cousins

On 2/18/2020 at 10:29 PM, BuffaloRebound said:

This has Patriots written all over it.  Not sure Josh is ready to handle a diva receiver at this point in his career.  

Except the Cheatriots already traded that 2nd rounder for Sanu. They'd have to give up their 23rd overall 1st rounder to be in the Diggs sweepstakes. Just don't see that happening.

Well I'm of the opinion that the learning curve for a Rookie WR is the steepest next to QB. If the Bills plan is to take an edge rusher in the first and wr in the second in a super deep wr class give up the second for a proven veteran and it's not even a question. Maybe even target the DE from JAX in FA and draft best available in the first.  I'd do a second for Diggs in a heartbeat.

Edited by BeefCurtns

On 2/20/2020 at 5:05 AM, thebandit27 said:

Unless Diggs wants out for some reason I don't see why they would on from him. He is a true top 20 WR that makes 15 million a year and is a contract that is easy to get out of in 2021 or 2022 (6 million dead cap in 2021 and 3 million dead cap in 2022.) He is also 27 years old and has no significant injury. Why would they want to get rid of him let alone for a 2nd round pick? This was never going to happen barring something unforeseen. 

On 2/19/2020 at 7:42 PM, ColoradoBills said:

It's apparent you personally don't want the Beane looking into the "possibility" of a Diggs deal but you must at least agree that it could be

a rational avenue to pursue.

Where did I say we shouldn't even look into the possibility? Thats as fair as me claiming those who want him "seem" willing to pay any price in draft picks and money. You "seem" unwilling to concede that a rational person might want to pass on Diggs.  

13 minutes ago, Mickey said:

Where did I say we shouldn't even look into the possibility? Thats as fair as me claiming those who want him "seem" willing to pay any price in draft picks and money. You "seem" unwilling to concede that a rational person might want to pass on Diggs.  

I would prefer not to pass on Diggs if all it took was out 2nd round pick

He is good

8 hours ago, BuffaloSol said:

Arizona would be lucky to get that for David Johnson.

He is not even close to the same guy he was a couple years ago and owed a ton.

When 90% of the fanbase is saying they’d make a trade, that’s a pretty good sign that the trade is unrealistic.  The Cardinals aren’t giving away David Johnson plus a third round pick for nothing.  They know they aren’t competing this year, so they can eat the money this year and get a better draft slot next year.  Why would they give up picks during a rebuild?

1 hour ago, Billl said:

When 90% of the fanbase is saying they’d make a trade, that’s a pretty good sign that the trade is unrealistic.  The Cardinals aren’t giving away David Johnson plus a third round pick for nothing.  They know they aren’t competing this year, so they can eat the money this year and get a better draft slot next year.  Why would they give up picks during a rebuild?

No offense, but I don't think you really know what the situation is there.  They have to eat that contract longer than that, and they want to resign Drake.  He has a big contract left, its not one year.  They need to move him so they can sign Drake.  

David Johnson is essentially their 3rd RB right now (if they resign Drake like they want), and yet still one of the highest paid RB's in the league.  No way they way they are paying Drake while still paying DJ top 5 RB money to be 3rd on the depth chart.  

And while you say a rebuilding team wont do this...well a rebuilding Houston Texans team did a few years ago in 2017 to get rid of Brock Osweilers contract.  And they paid a 2nd round pick to do it and cash.  And there is talk a couple teams could go down this road to get rid of bad contracts this offseason.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

No offense, but I don't think you really know what the situation is there.  They have to eat that contract longer than that, and they want to resign Drake.  He has a big contract left, its not one year.  They need to move him so they can sign Drake.  

David Johnson is essentially their 3rd RB right now (if they resign Drake like they want), and yet still one of the highest paid RB's in the league.  No way they way they are paying Drake while still paying DJ top 5 RB money to be 3rd on the depth chart.  

And while you say a rebuilding team wont do this...well a rebuilding Houston Texans team did a few years ago in 2017 to get rid of Brock Osweilers contract.  And they paid a 2nd round pick to do it and cash.  And there is talk a couple teams could go down this road to get rid of bad contracts this offseason.  

No offense but I don’t think you really know what the situation is there.

If the Cardinals trade DJ, it will cost them $2M more this season than keeping him because of his dead cap. If they “need to sign Drake” why would they try to do it with $2M less in cap space? Cardinals also have a projected $51M in space this offseason, hardly barely enough to sign Drake.

When Houston traded Osweiler it SAVED them $10M in cap space. That’s why you trade big contracts, to get cap relief. Not lose cap space.

Edited by BringBackOrton
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 2/20/2020 at 8:59 PM, BeefCurtns said:

Well I'm of the opinion that the learning curve for a Rookie WR is the steepest next to QB. 

Hmmm, apparently not too steep this year for  Debo Samuel, AJ Brown, Mecole Hardman, DK Metcalf, or Terry McLaurin.  Very silly comment.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, BillsFan2313 said:

If price was equal, you would take one year of Golladay, over 4 years of Diggs? When Golladay hasn't produced better numbers. Why?

For starters Golladay has only been in the league three years.  His stats over the past two years have been better than Diggs, more TD's and a lot more yards per reception.

Don't get me wrong Diggs is a mighty fine player, I would say top 15 in the league which makes him a bonafide #1 WR.    Golladay is much bigger, fights for those 50/50 balls about as good as anyone in the league and they are just about the same speed.   His ascension and production this early in his career point to him being a top 6-8 WR in the league.

I would venture to guess that Golladay would be viewed as the better receiver from most NFL teams.

On 2/20/2020 at 7:50 PM, Reks Ryan said:

Exactly. Like Marino back in the day. Excellent   Passer.  But not the QB you want on your team in the playoffs.

As for the WR debate. Golliday over Diggs.  For the same reasons you take a winning  QB over cousins

You compare Dan Marino to Kirk Cousins?

You're blocked.

• Haha (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Magox said:

For starters Golladay has only been in the league three years.  His stats over the past two years have been better than Diggs, more TD's and a lot more yards per reception.

Don't get me wrong Diggs is a mighty fine player, I would say top 15 in the league which makes him a bonafide #1 WR.    Golladay is much bigger, fights for those 50/50 balls about as good as anyone in the league and they are just about the same speed.   His ascension and production this early in his career point to him being a top 6-8 WR in the league.

I would venture to guess that Golladay would be viewed as the better receiver from most NFL teams.

He caught two more balls, 60 more yards and 5 more TDs than Diggs this past year. Diggs caught 102 and 9 tds the year before, while Golladay caught 70 for 5tds. How has he put up better stats than Diggs the last 2 years? 

• Thank you (+1) 1