Spitballing a Tre White contract extension

YoloinOhio

2 minutes ago, ganesh said:

White won't be paid next year. They will simply pick up his 5th year option.  They first have to pay Poyer, Phillips and Dawkins at first level and Lawson at 2nd level.  

they likely value Tre much more than any of those guys. Giving him a well earned extension and bypassing the 5th year option is likely in the best interest for everyone. 

• Like (+1) 9

1 minute ago, ganesh said:

White won't be paid next year. They will simply pick up his 5th year option.  They first have to pay Poyer, Phillips and Dawkins at first level and Lawson at 2nd level.  

We have the cap space.  He's obviously a top 5 to 10 shut down CB.  Pay him now before the next man up sets the market.  Plus, I am waffling between a Singletary jersey or a White jersey for my daughter for Christmas.  Would be nice to know which player is here long term.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

At some point this franchise is going to have to bite the bullet and pay market value for a great CB.  We can't continue to let them walk in Free Agency.  I'm good with getting a deal done a year early and keeping White here.  I don't want to play against Gilmore and Tre' White in Foxboro some day.

• Like (+1) 5

27 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

At some point this franchise is going to have to bite the bullet and pay market value for a great CB.  We can't continue to let them walk in Free Agency.  I'm good with getting a deal done a year early and keeping White here.  I don't want to play against Gilmore and Tre' White in Foxboro some day.

Pretty sure the CB thing was the business model of the old regime, even going back pre Whaley. They preferred to spend money elsewhere and simply draft a CB high every four years. I don’t think that’s the MO of the current group, but we’ll find out. 

3 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

Pretty sure the CB thing was the business model of the old regime, even going back pre Whaley. They preferred to spend money elsewhere and simply draft a CB high every four years. I don’t think that’s the MO of the current group, but we’ll find out. 

Tre is McDermott's first pick.  And he's played at a consistently high level.  He'll get his money.

• Like (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

64 years

$324,645,765,000

You cheap bastard

56 minutes ago, ganesh said:

If they can lock him up a year early, eat a lot of the contract up front, that'll help them later on down the road.  Poyer isn't going to get a massive deal.  Phillips won't get more than 8-10 I think

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

Saw this started thinking... 16/yr?

16-17 makes the most sense and he's earned.  I won't think twice about it.  I just hope we do it before someone else gets more and sets a new precident

• Like (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

We have the cap space.  He's obviously a top 5 to 10 shut down CB.  Pay him now before the next man up sets the market.  Plus, I am waffling between a Singletary jersey or a White jersey for my daughter for Christmas.  Would be nice to know which player is here long term.

I just can't see a scenario where they let White even test FA. He's going to be a Bill for the next 6+ years. I think it's evident by the marketing and obviously his elite play that Tre is a priority to this team.

Right now the top of the CB market is $15.05M per year.......so that's where negotiations will begin.  If you get him under contract soon you're looking at 15.5ish M per......if you wait another year, it'll probably be in the $16-17 M per range as more contracts get done.

4 minutes ago, Estro said:

Right now the top of the CB market is $15.05M per year.......so that's where negotiations will begin.  If you get him under contract soon you're looking at 15.5ish M per......if you wait another year, it'll probably be in the $16-17 M per range as more contracts get done.

And yet he is only making 1-2 m now. If you rip up next year and give him 15 you are losing 12-13m which is the difference over five years from 15 to 16-17. The fifth year option will be less than 15. It's  tricky business and I agree to lock him up early, but it's likely not saving much money and you actually may have him a year or two less under contract. 

I honestly don’t think Tre would need top dollar to be happy. If I recall correctly all he wanted to do was buy his mom a house, setup his son for life, and build a community center in his hometown. 

He’s signed for 4 years for 10m currently (average of 2.5m/year). Extend him 6 years (next year plus five). I think 6 years for 65million might do it. A solid signing bonus and good guarantees. 

2 minutes ago, iccrewman112 said:

I honestly don’t think Tre would need top dollar to be happy. If I recall correctly all he wanted to do was buy his mom a house, setup his son for life, and build a community center in his hometown. 

He’s signed for 4 years for 10m currently (average of 2.5m/year). Extend him 6 years (next year plus five). I think 6 years for 65million might do it. A solid signing bonus and good guarantees. 

His agent will push for him to set the market at the CB position, and he should.

• Like (+1) 5

2 hours ago, BuffaloBillies said:

8 years,  $100,000,000. SICK money with a really good ring to it. He can't say no, and it's probably a deal in the long run for the bills. Sign right now and it's yours.

Like the 49ers paid for Nate Clement!

1 hour ago, iccrewman112 said:

Wishful thinking...There are no hometown discounts in a violent sport

• Like (+1) 2

Remember it takes two to make a deal.  White is a couple years older than his peers playing through his senior year.  This may be his last chance at a massive signing bonus.  Bills are going to need to make him a silly offer and then hope he takes it.  If not they will be forced to use the 5th year option and a franchise tag.  

Realistically.... probably looking at a $75MM 5 year deal. It’ll be in that ballpark. Maybe 5 for $70MM if it gets done early with a solid guaranteed percentage. Tre doesn’t seem like a guy that’ll get lazy after getting paid. He comes across as a dude that’s playing for prestige ... As such, the cash needs to be in-line, but he really wants recognition of his talent.... a solid contract offer says that to him.

TreDay = Pay Day. 5 years $90,000,000.00. $30,000,000.00 guaranteed. Throw in some bonuses & free coffee to Tim Horton’s & we can revisit in 2025 the year he turns 30. 

To this day, I still can’t believe that

Gronkowski wasn’t suspended 6 games for the cheap shot he put on White his rookie year. Could the Patriots might have some Epstein level dirt on Goodell have anything to do with such a lenient suspension? 

I agree with everyone’s take, he should be a Bill for the foreseeable future.

however...these are the people (or at the very a part) who let josh Norman leave, hindsight says it was a good decision, but at the time it seemed like he was the best CB.

how much do they value CB?  They have addressed it with mid round picks, other team’s castaways and an udfa, outside of White.

But, he is special and we need to, maybe not this offseason though.  Sign Phillips, ext Poyer and get more talent in FA.