Jets going down - Angry Gase throws Darnold, Kicker, Anderson, Greggo under the bus. "I can do whatever I want"

Reed83HOF

20 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

Adam Gase summed up his football philosophy in one short sentence.

“That’s the beauty part of being the head coach – I can basically do what I want,” Gase said.

Gase’s first shot came when he was asked about the offensive line and whether that unit’s struggles helped explain some of the offense’s overarching inefficiency.

His answer? “Some of it was the O-line, but I would say if we read the coverages correctly with the receivers, some of that isn’t a problem.”

Robby Anderson got the worst of Gase’s wrath. The coach was asked about Darnold averaging just 6.25 yards per completion and the lack of shots taken downfield and came back with this clear snipe at his wideout:

“Yeah, if we just make plays on the balls that we actually threw down the field, that’s a different number," Gase said. "I mean, we had opportunities. We had a chance to win the game. We have to come out of our double move. The guy falls down and we don’t come out running. So if we do that, then all of a sudden we’re scoring a touchdown. Guys need to do a better job of executing what they’re supposed to be doing.”

That was a blatant jab at Anderson, who got behind the defense late in the fourth quarter. Darnold’s ball sailed over his head. Apparently, Gase didn’t like Anderson’s effort.

OK, so Gase ripped into his own offense. How about Gregg Williams’ defense? How’d the cornerbacks look on tape?

“I feel like we have some slight room for improvement," Gase said. "I’ll say that nicely.”

giphy.gif

Link to article:

https://www.nj.com/jets/2019/09/adam-gase-just-laid-waste-to-jets.html

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Chicharito said:

They have the browns, pats, bye, eagles, cowgirls, pats, and jags in that order. It’s a real possibility that they start 0-7. That’s a tough stretch.

I think we find out about both the Jets and Browns next week.  I'd like to think I didn't get on their hype train but I most certainly did.  Is TN that good?  Maybe.  I think the Jets win next week though

21 minutes ago, Stevie Ray said:

I really feel for Darnold. He deserves better than this clown for a HC..

Why would you say that?  He's a mediocre second-year QB of a division opponent.  He deserves nothing.

Edited by mannc
  • Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

The author spells it out pretty well:

But here’s the thing about Gase’s confrontational, fire-and-brimstone approach: It’s great when your team is good. Fans could easily fall in love a straight shooter who won’t sugarcoat things just to save players’ feelings – if that coach also produces wins.

But if things go south? Then all of a sudden, this approach will quickly start to look and feel like sour grapes and blame avoidance. Just ask Dolphins fans.

Gase wasted no time placing that high-stakes gamble.

---------------------------_______________________________________

I mean, here's the deal.  If their D manages to confuse your QB about the coverages - is it all on the QB, or could the coaches have done more to help him prepare and ID the coverages?  If the WR doesn't hook up with the ball, is it 'cuz he didn't turn on the afterburners, or did the QB just out-throw him? 

"I'll say this nicely": This guy kind of comes across as a bit of a psychopath. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

It's tough to have it both ways.  The penchant for "coach speak" after a tough loss is somewhat universally detested.  I heard that criticism of Flores' comments about how they all have to be better and it's on all of them, etc.  Then a coach speaks frankly about his team's shortcomings and he can criticized for that too.  He could throw in a blunder or two that was on him to make it seem like he was being real.

Their next stretch of games is brutal.  Gase might very well open the season 0-7 as someone started a thread about.  He’s actually someone who should be high on the list of “Whose gonna get fired first” list this year.  I honestly am skeptical he lasts more than this year and wouldn’t surprise me to see him fired during the season.  

Funniest thing, best player on offense for them was Bell, and reports were he didn’t want to sign him lmao

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

Yes, except when they play the *Cheats.  

Greggo needs to start warming up in the batter's box, and decide whether or not to become the next Secretary of the Interior or stoop to accept the interim Jets HC job--it would be extra delish if the move were to happen just prior to the MNF game against Cleveland next week! How many popcorn GIF's could we fit in one thread?

bill hader popcorn GIF

52 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

“That’s the beauty part of being the head coach – I can basically do what I want,” Gase said.

Gase’s first shot came when he was asked about the offensive line and whether that unit’s struggles helped explain some of the offense’s overarching inefficiency.

His answer? “Some of it was the O-line, but I would say if we read the coverages correctly with the receivers, some of that isn’t a problem.”

Robby Anderson got the worst of Gase’s wrath. The coach was asked about Darnold averaging just 6.25 yards per completion and the lack of shots taken downfield and came back with this clear snipe at his wideout:

“Yeah, if we just make plays on the balls that we actually threw down the field, that’s a different number," Gase said. "I mean, we had opportunities. We had a chance to win the game. We have to come out of our double move. The guy falls down and we don’t come out running. So if we do that, then all of a sudden we’re scoring a touchdown. Guys need to do a better job of executing what they’re supposed to be doing.”

That was a blatant jab at Anderson, who got behind the defense late in the fourth quarter. Darnold’s ball sailed over his head. Apparently, Gase didn’t like Anderson’s effort.

OK, so Gase ripped into his own offense. How about Gregg Williams’ defense? How’d the cornerbacks look on tape?

“I feel like we have some slight room for improvement," Gase said. "I’ll say that nicely.”

giphy.gif

Just wow.

Failure starts at the top Gase - talk about leaving bodies on the hwy....what a tool.

This is not the way that a 1st year head coach wins over the locker room. You CAN critique players or even other coaches, but there is a right and a wrong way and Gase certainly has not been with the team long enough to earn the right to do it the wrong way. I did not see a Jets team that was lying down yesterday - go figure.

Some coaches have a way of critiquing with a sense of humor - Wade could do it, ol' McKay from the Bucs was classic with his quips, and us older fans can remember:
"What do you think of the team's execution coach?" - "I am in favor of it",
or when asked if there was a strategy for throwing so many short passes instead of long ones, "Yeah, the strategy was that if he held the ball any longer he would have been killed",
or "We didn't tackle well today, but we made up for it by not blocking"  the guy was pure gold and entertaining to listen to.

Gase just comes off as kind of a wet blanket whiner, small wonder Miami just crumbled under him... I was a bit worried about the Jests building some kind of a team, but thankfully we kept  Gase in the AFC East and he should keep their success in check. Now with Miami tanking and the process starting to get traction... this year is getting interesting.

Edited by WideNine
  • Like (+1) 5

8 minutes ago, nucci said:

Why would someone hire him after Miami? Crappy coaches keep getting jobs in this league

The owner of the Jets chose Gase because Gase was reputed to be a Quarterback-whisperer who would turn Sam Darnold into a franchise QB.

Problem: Gase reputation is built on Peyton Manning. Peyton could make any QB coach look good.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

The author spells it out pretty well:

But here’s the thing about Gase’s confrontational, fire-and-brimstone approach: It’s great when your team is good. Fans could easily fall in love a straight shooter who won’t sugarcoat things just to save players’ feelings – if that coach also produces wins.

But if things go south? Then all of a sudden, this approach will quickly start to look and feel like sour grapes and blame avoidance. Just ask Dolphins fans.

Gase wasted no time placing that high-stakes gamble.

---------------------------_______________________________________

I mean, here's the deal.  If their D manages to confuse your QB about the coverages - is it all on the QB, or could the coaches have done more to help him prepare and ID the coverages?  If the WR doesn't hook up with the ball, is it 'cuz he didn't turn on the afterburners, or did the QB just out-throw him? 

"I'll say this nicely": This guy kind of comes across as a bit of a psychopath. 

People need to listen to it, its worse than reading it.

This guy, if they continue to lose, which is likely with their schedule, and if he has to continue facing the NY press is going to come unglued!

I for one, am loving this!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, teef said:

and there were people comparing mcd to gase because their records were similar.  you know who you are.  ****heads.

Did you point out that McD was 3-1 versus Gase or did you sit by meekly and just NOW come out with your wrath?

Belichick owns McD like no Bills HC since he came to NE but anyone who didn't expect him to beat Gase again wasn't looking at the facts.........if Josh gets a little better grip on that throw to Clay last year we would have been talking about about McD being 4-0 versus Gase coming into that game.

22 minutes ago, Chicharito said:

They have the browns, pats, bye, eagles, cowgirls, pats, and jags in that order. It’s a real possibility that they start 0-7. That’s a tough stretch.

You apparently haven’t seen my thread.

• Like (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

giphy.gif

I guess Gase is right! He can do anything that he wants, including living in denial and deflecting the blame on everyone else!

16 minutes ago, JESSEFEFFER said:

It's tough to have it both ways.  The penchant for "coach speak" after a tough loss is somewhat universally detested.  I heard that criticism of Flores' comments about how they all have to be better and it's on all of them, etc.  Then a coach speaks frankly about his team's shortcomings and he can criticized for that too.  He could throw in a blunder or two that was on him to make it seem like he was being real.

Criticizing the people playing for you in public to a ravenous local press is about as dumb as possible. He's basically provided them with a negative narrative on Robbie Anderson, their best receiver. You think Belichick would ever do that?

• Thank you (+1) 1